Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

Anybody for bringing Tyron Taylor in?
Um, it's Tyrod
:D

To answer your question, yeah if O'Brien wasn't over the offense.

I'd like to see this offensive brain trust stick with the same guy for more than one year in a row.

Three years under O'Brien and three different starters. Nobody has had a chance to grow or build on success under O'Brien.

I think Brock will be better if we get a Stud OT 1st round and get a Stud TE that way we could run that Duel TE set

We can wish in one hand and **** in the other. We all know which one will get filled up first

I think Tyrod could be really good in a Kubiak style offense because he can move, Obrien seems to be too inflexible to curtail his offense to anyone with a different skill set, as if Os really has one. Taylor is completely under rated in my opinion, no he is not an elite quaterback, but he has a 92 career qb rating, and the bills have averaged 24.5 ppg while he has been under center. Those are nothing to sneeze at, he would be light years ahead of anything we saw last season. I think you would have to change the offense but you could definitely get more out of him than OS seven days of the week and twice on sunday.

Um, it's Tyrod

I'd like to see this offensive brain trust stick with the same guy for more than one year in a row.

Three years under O'Brien and three different starters. Nobody has had a chance to grow or build on success under O'Brien.

Whoops. I meant tyrod. Don't know how Tyron got in there.

Um, it's Tyrod

Three starters? You mean week 1 starters, I assume. I'm with ya, though. I'd like to see some consistency at the position.

Three starters? You mean week 1 starters, I assume. I'm with ya, though. I'd like to see some consistency at the position.
Exactly.
Three week one starters in three years.
When are they going to let someone grow and develop in O'Brien's system?

Folks have pointed out that there have been franchise-level QBs that had shakey first years. P.Manning and Roethlisberger spring immediately to my mind. I seem to recall that Schaub had to grow into the job.

Not a single opening day starter has had the chance to do that under O'Brien. And it looks like there will be a fourth "new guy" in 2017.

Exactly.
Three week one starters in three years.
When are they going to let someone grow and develop in O'Brien's system?

Folks have pointed out that there have been franchise-level QBs that had shakey first years. P.Manning and Roethlisberger spring immediately to my mind. I seem to recall that Schaub had to grow into the job.

Not a single opening day starter has had the chance to do that under O'Brien. And it looks like there will be a fourth "new guy" in 2017.
I sincerely hope OB doesn't start a rookie unless he puts on a Wilson/Prescott showing in preseason. I'm still perfectly fine with the three currently on the roster going into 2017.

I sincerely hope OB doesn't start a rookie unless he puts on a Wilson/Prescott showing in preseason. I'm still perfectly fine with the three currently on the roster going into 2017.
Meh, not happy with Brock, but I believe he will be better than last year with a season under his belt.

Meh, not happy with Brock, but I believe he will be better than last year with a season under his belt.
I prefer Savage and Weeden over Os, myself. I'm at the point of just hoping for an honest QB competition and OB putting them in their proper order based off of that instead of salary.

I'd be shocked if Os can win a real QB competition, Os can only improve from last year, because let's face it, its would be hard for anyone to be worse than him. I'd like to throw another veteran and/or rookie in the mix as well. You have to make a decision on which 2/3 to keep out of Savage, Weeden, Os, most likely Weeden would be the odd man out.

You shouldn't go around challenging the football deities like that.
Some said that very thing about Hoyer after last season.
Then t
hey decided, "Oh yes you can. Here, let us show you!"

Well, if there is a worse than Os, it really doesn't matter then. Football gods or not, the odds have to be strongly in favor of improving on that piss poor performance by Os, because it was that bad. And if not, then we remain in the same QB hell we've been in for the last 4 years. I mean, how bad do you have to be to want Hoyer back?

Well, if there is a worse than Os, it really doesn't matter then. Football gods or not, the odds have to be strongly in favor of improving on that piss poor performance by Os, because it was that bad. And if not, then we remain in the same QB hell we've been in for the last 4 years. I mean, how bad do you have to be to want Hoyer back?
Maybe David Carr wants to come out of retirement?

I think the problem the Texans have run into with starting a qb two seasons in a row is that they've gone the veteran route instead of backing a young guy.

If a rookie has Os season--it's still ugly--but you can justify giving him the gig again next year in hopes that he takes a seismic leap forward.

The Texans have gotten these supposedly ready to lead a team now guys and really my favorite of the bunch was the first one they had, Fitz.

Even if the Texans didn't draft a rookie early and wanted to let Savage bake in the oven, in hindsight Fitz probably should have been the guy starting multiple seasons until we found a young guy who was ready.

OB's love for Hoyer kind of derailed things though imo. If Hoyer was not here and not throwing 1 gazillion ints in a playoff game maybe they are so desperate for a qb and maybe they don't give up the farm for Brock. I dunno. Maybe they still do.

Last edited:
I don't really have any faith in Os getting better because over the course of the year I saw no progression what so ever. In fact he was getting worse.

I could see if he had shown some positive signs, but I didn't see any.

Did y'all?

Bless your heart.
Why thank you.
It is an obviously true statement though - because he couldn't get any worse.
(touches wood)
If he is worse, O'Brien will bench him soon enough - I think he would have benched him sooner last season if Savage had not been hurt.

Why thank you.
It is an obviously true statement though - because he couldn't get any worse.
(touches wood)
If he is worse, O'Brien will bench him soon enough - I think he would have benched him sooner last season if Savage had not been hurt.
I thought Savage was good to go coming out of training camp and pre-season. He didn't get hurt (again) until his second appearance.
Am I missing something?

I'd be shocked if Os can win a real QB competition, Os can only improve from last year, because let's face it, its would be hard for anyone to be worse than him. I'd like to throw another veteran and/or rookie in the mix as well. You have to make a decision on which 2/3 to keep out of Savage, Weeden, Os, most likely Weeden would be the odd man out.

I'm ready to move on as well.

They thought Brock could be special so they signed him giving him two years to prove it. I think they should go forward on that track.

But yeah, chances of Osweiler becoming a franchise QB is slim.

I'd like for them to draft a guy they think could play in 2018, whether that's day one or week 9. Then get a developmental guy. Someone they think can be ready to play in 2019.

Cut bait with Savage, cut bait with Weeden. They already demonstrated they do not believe either of them are special when they guaranteed $37M to Brock.

If they can't scout & draft a clipboard holder... grrrrrrr!!!

They thought Brock could be special so they signed him giving him two years to prove it. I think they should go forward on that track.

I'd like for them to draft a guy they think could play in 2018, whether that's day one or week 9. Then get a developmental guy. Someone they think can be ready to play in 2019.

Cut bait with Savage, cut bait with Weeden. They already demonstrated they do not believe either of them are special when they guaranteed $37M to Brock.

Kinda telling. You were an oz apologist for most of 2016.

Took you forever to give up on oz and a minute to forget savage. Curious. Not that i agree or disagree.

I disagree about Savage. I think OB is good with Savage. He just has to stay freaking healthy. Of course, I could be wrong. I have no problem with drafting a QB, in any round, or trading for one as long as they don't give up a bunch of good draft picks to do it.

Kinda telling. You were an oz apologist for most of 2016.

Took you forever to give up on oz and a minute to forget savage. Curious. Not that i agree or disagree.

I don't understand why we're holding on to Tom Savage... we fans. If he were half the player we (fans) believe him to be, they never would have gone after Osweiler much less guarantee two years pay.

If he looked like Garoppolo in the preseason or the one game he was healthy enough to finish I could understand. But he didn't. Time to draft the guy Tom was supposed to be.

& I don't know that I ever apologized for Osweiler. He had his moments, far & in between. I think it's on the coaches to focus on what he's good at & minimize what he isn't at some time during the season. The Texans never did.

I disagree about Savage. I think OB is good with Savage. He just has to stay freaking healthy. Of course, I could be wrong. I have no problem with drafting a QB, in any round, or trading for one as long as they don't give up a bunch of good draft picks to do it.

That's my problem with Savage. He's never there when you need him. Three years & he's seen so little playing time.

I'm tired of holding on hoping he might be the one. I want a guy who can start the next fifty games at least

I don't understand why we're holding on to Tom Savage... we fans. If he were half the player we (fans) believe him to be, they never would have gone after Osweiler much less guarantee two years pay.

If he looked like Garoppolo in the preseason or the one game he was healthy enough to finish I could understand. But he didn't. Time to draft the guy Tom was supposed to be.

& I don't know that I ever apologized for Osweiler. He had his moments, far & in between. I think it's on the coaches to focus on what he's good at & minimize what he isn't at some time during the season. The Texans never did.
I thought O' Brien said he started to call plays that Osweiler likes. :kitten::ahhaha:

That's my problem with Savage. He's never there when you need him. Three years & he's seen so little playing time.

I'm tired of holding on hoping he might be the one. I want a guy who can start the next fifty games at least
I've got one in the draft forum.
Not very popular with the draftniks, it seems. :troll:

I thought O' Brien said he started to call plays that Osweiler likes. :kitten::ahhaha:

Yes, when they're in the hurry up. He calls plays that they (the offense) is comfortable with & run well. He said that's why they look better in the hurry up.

Yes, when they're in the hurry up. He calls plays that they (the offense) is comfortable with & run well. He said that's why they look better in the hurry up.
So there are probably only two things:
Was O'Brien still an idiot that he didn't adapt the game plans to help his QB after that.
Was Osweiler so bad that he couldn't make those game plans work.

Or maybe a little of both?

So there are probably only two things:
Was O'Brien still an idiot that he didn't adapt the game plans to help his QB after that.
Was Osweiler so bad that he couldn't make those game plans work.

Or maybe a little of both?

For now, I think they're blaming George Godsey for not coordinating & only having a handful of plays the offense could run well.

I've heard Osweiler's excels in practice and in preseason. So don't be shocked at all.

MODS : Maybe I posted in wrong thread (McNair)sorry idk
By any means am I a scout or coach. I am an avid football fan so allow me to share again my honest opinion at this time. Although it may change as we get closer to April.
I watched and read about the top 5 QBs in the draft. I feel like after 1 or 2 maybe just maybe 3 don't fall at 25 then they shouldn't even draft one in first round. I'm not too thrilled with most of the the QB selections. Trubisky Kizer Watson Mahomes Evans Kaaya Webb Peterman
When it comes to being frugal with what they have because of that terrible OS deal maybe should go with an OT. It is a need and long term. It would help the offensive line for the run but also hopefully QB pocket support. Then with Mancz center coming back that would be a nice addition. Offensive line is not glamorous but it is the foundation for an average of 10 years.
For faster results next year have competition with starter Savage vs OS. I feel drafting a round 1 QB will take time to learn and most likely won't start anyway. Draft a later round developmental QB a good veteran will cost too much with OS contract.
If OT (BPA) not available nor QB then maybe defense. But I feel hesitant drafting with an existing the number 1 defense meanwhile its our offense that really needs the help.
Be nice lol thx

Right or wrong - I would be highly surprised if OS isn't the 2017 starter. To much money tied up, plus an owner that has vast amounts of patience or loyalty... or dementia :)

Given history and track record - I would be surprised if we draft a QB higher than round 4 just not how they do things.

Me I would like OL in round 1 and the best available option at QB in round 2 (I would have like that to be Mahomes (sp?) but looks like he is moving up the board, maybe even top 10).

The year that Savage was taken was a Prime Year for a high choice QB, but no. I don't expect it this year with OS and Savage on the team.

Crennel is Asst Head Coach and Vrabel is DC. Will their jobs change or is it just a money thing with same responsibilities?
I believe it was McNair who said RAC will be in the booth w/ a headset during games. I don't know that there have been any specifics announced on game prep role changes other than BOB and RAC will share HC responsibilities.

Story time -- I’ve got a cousin that’s coached in the NFL for 13 years and coached under Bill Belichick for one of them. I asked about BB and he probably didn’t tell me anything that we don’t know already, but the thing that stood out was him saying that what sets BB apart is his attention to detail. Clock management, special teams, 2 minute drills, specific game scenarios, etc. are all better prepared for and executed under him than any other coach he’s seen. My only point in bringing it up is the importance of a coaching staff focusing on the little things.

I don’t think anyone (including the coaches themselves) know how HC duties will be divvied up. OC is a full time job so something has to give. RAC has HC experience so maybe it will be seamless but it remains to be seen – he’ll certainly focus more on defense given his role last year and Vrabel’s inexperience. I’m guessing that their roles will evolve over the year and there will be a learning curve.

In the end, these changes may have been the only viable solution as I’m not sure BOB felt comfortable w/ any of the OC’s available and the offense should improve w/ him as coordinator. But I was hoping for a progression from BOB in the boneheaded stuff like clock management that we’ve seen. If this continues or even gets worse -- the culprit may very well be the shuffled roles and its effect on attention to detail.

I actually like having RAC in the booth helping Vrabel along. He's got a ton of experience and arguably nobody currently in the game will be able to deduce more from that view than him. Maybe, Vrabel calls the plays and RAC looks for patterns and sends that data down to Vrabel? It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic works.

I actually like having RAC in the booth helping Vrabel along. He's got a ton of experience and arguably nobody currently in the game will be able to deduce more from that view than him. Maybe, Vrabel calls the plays and RAC looks for patterns and sends that data down to Vrabel? It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic works.

I like the idea too .... should allow for quicker adjustments. No waiting for half time ....

we have good enough defense to win it all even next yr. just need qb who can put some pts on the board. if we played like falcons in the first half we would have won that game just milking the clock. just draft 1st - 3rd with some free agent. last yrs signs didn't work again, but texans can't stop trying. bring in 2 new faces to see what texans get in the preseaon. pick best one. no more of this giant sign with no full season. if they were some big name yeah maybe.

really wouldn't mind AJ from bingles. just to see what ob see in him.

Did RAC say he was going to be in the booth?

If he did I'd find that kind of strange tbh.

Maybe, but id want him there for reviews if nothing else. Apparently, the texans have never hired one of those guys.

I want him in an overwatch position like that split from the distractions of the side line if he truly is an assistant head coach. I think its easier on Vrabel if they're not side by side because everyone will still consider rac the DC. Mostly, i want him to mentor vrabel from afar as necessary and provide game day quality control. In game management has always been an issue for us and i want him to fix it.

Maybe, but id want him there for reviews if nothing else. Apparently, the texans have never hired one of those guys.

I want him in an overwatch position like that split from the distractions of the side line if he truly is an assistant head coach. I think its easier on Vrabel if they're not side by side because everyone will still consider rac the DC. Mostly, i want him to mentor vrabel from afar as necessary and provide game day quality control. In game management has always been an issue for us and i want him to fix it.

What if Vrabel goes to the booth?

I'd find it strange for RAC to be a sideline DC and then go to the booth when promoted to assistant HC.

I have no idea if Vrabel is a booth guy or not, but I'd guess probably not.

And on Gameday the DC is mostly looking at the bigger defensive picture and calling plays. I don't think there's going to be any confusion by anyone.

Back