Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What I Didn't Like

You are wrong IMO.

I disagree with you on both points.

Even in the screen shot you showed, Mitchell might as well tell Dobbins what he wants for Christmas because he is sitting in his lap.

As a DT, more specifically a NT, you cannot ever allow yourself to be driven back into the LB's -- double team or not. There are ways to combat that.

On your second point, I disagree again. There was misdirection action. He was not shooting gaps or blitzing. He was reading the play.

He would have been able to come back across a lot more cleanly had mitchell not been humping his leg on that play.

And I know you never said, "come back"....and that is why you are wrong. Go back and look at the play and you can see the RB take a misdirection step to his left...Dobbins is keying the RB wo when he initially went that way so did Dobbins...When the RB came back right to take the handoff Dobbins proceeded to try to come back, but by that time Mitchell was kissing him goodnight...

Demeco was keying the FB and that is why he flowed straight towards the gap. The FB took no misdirection step. Demeco did what he was supposed to do which was attack the FB's outside shoulder and try to close the gap down.

Go to the sequence of snapshots, the RB did not start left; he went right and followed the FB until he saw nothing there and cut back around the FB's block.

Here's the sequence:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/PS%201%20Jets/SG%2019yd%20run/

Also, the diagram is not of a blitz.
It merely shows the alignments and responsibilities of the front 7 when they read run.

The responsibility for the MIKE is spelled out:
RUN weak (away from TE) --> MIKE flows to WS A gap and then to the Ball.

WILLBULLET.png

Go to the sequence of snapshots, the RB did not start left; he went right and followed the FB until he saw nothing there and cut back around the FB's block.

Here's the sequence:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/PS%201%20Jets/SG%2019yd%20run/

You are right. There was no misdirection action. I can admit when I'm wrong.

But in my initial post I said that Dobbins was at fault closely behind Mitchell.

Even if Dobbins reads the play correctly, Mitchell cannot get doubled back into him. Not sure why you are arguing that fact.

You are right. There was no misdirection action. I can admit when I'm wrong.

But in my initial post I said that Dobbins was at fault closely behind Mitchell.

Even if Dobbins reads the play correctly, Mitchell cannot get doubled back into him. Not sure why you are arguing that fact.

I didn't argue that Mitchell was without fault.
I just think that Dobbins was more at fault, that's all.
I think we can agree to that!

A better play by the MIKE and the D could have cut that gain in half (or something like that).

I didn't argue that Mitchell was without fault.
I just think that Dobbins was more at fault, that's all.
I think we can agree to that!

A better play by the MIKE and the D could have cut that gain in half (or something like that).

No we can't agree to that..LOL...

I think Mitchell was more at fault for being driven back into his lap...

But what we can agree on is that they were BOTH at fault on the play.

This was my initial post:

On that long Shonn Greene run Earl Mitchell cannot let the double team uproot him like that, but Dobbins is the guy who let that play turn into the big yardage it did.

Demeco came down and took on the fullback's outside shoulder and closed the hole down. Dobbins was backside so he should have filled. Now he probably had a little trouble doing that since Mitchell was double teamed back into his lap.

Overall though I'm not worried about that being a problem. Mitchell is still young and learning and being fat is not the only way to beat double teams and to not allow the OL to get movement on you. He was much too high, and I was always taught that if you feel the double and are getting pushed back just go to the ground and cause a mess and let the LB's clean it up.

Two players were at fault on that play....Mitchell primarily and Dobbins taking second in a photo finish.

76texan, I enjoy ur Monday morning qb, but to say that play way more dobbins than mitchell is way off base. No matter what scheme a team play, the nt can't get blown 2 yds off the ball and allow the guard to get the lb. Dobbins couldn't fill because earl and the guard was in his lap, plain and simple as rey say. If greene had a legit burst, that's 40 or a td vs 17. I urge u to look at the 2 long runs by mcgahe and mcclain vs the cowboys a few yrs back and its a photo copy.

Center washed ratliff, rt and left guard got ilbs, fb took out safety, off to the races. when wade had williams, both pat and jamal, and big ted, you didn't see gashing, up the gut runs. Now if you want to say its ok and they have to make do, that's fine. On the 2 other good runs, cody was just as bad, if not worse. Btw, the guy has had a - rating vs the pass and the run the last 3 yrs. He brings as much to the table as okoye. The texans will have trouble stopping the run, which keeps the offense off the field. Good thing is wade has always allowed yards, but prevented points. The packers allowed a lot of rush yards, but they took the ball away and stopped points. A few yrs ago, the colts were #1 in points allowed, but had issues vs the run as usual.

76texan, I enjoy ur Monday morning qb, but to say that play way more dobbins than mitchell is way off base. No matter what scheme a team play, the nt can't get blown 2 yds off the ball and allow the guard to get the lb. Dobbins couldn't fill because earl and the guard was in his lap, plain and simple as rey say. If greene had a legit burst, that's 40 or a td vs 17. I urge u to look at the 2 long runs by mcgahe and mcclain vs the cowboys a few yrs back and its a photo copy.

Center washed ratliff, rt and left guard got ilbs, fb took out safety, off to the races. when wade had williams, both pat and jamal, and big ted, you didn't see gashing, up the gut runs. Now if you want to say its ok and they have to make do, that's fine. On the 2 other good runs, cody was just as bad, if not worse. Btw, the guy has had a - rating vs the pass and the run the last 3 yrs. He brings as much to the table as okoye. The texans will have trouble stopping the run, which keeps the offense off the field. Good thing is wade has always allowed yards, but prevented points. The packers allowed a lot of rush yards, but they took the ball away and stopped points. A few yrs ago, the colts were #1 in points allowed, but had issues vs the run as usual.
I'm getting this sick feeling in my stomach that I owe CnD a big "you told me so". I hate it when I have to do those.:vincepalm:

1. Tackling (or lack thereof) - Wade's system seemed to put people in the right places for the most part, but our players weren't taking advantage - I'm talking to YOU Shiloh Keo!

2. "Special" teams - Rackers is fine, but our return and coverage teams sucked hard. Kick it 7 yds deep and it keeps making it out to the 27...REALLY??

3. Schaub - Kept looking pissed off after every throw. I hope he was mad at himself, as I refuse to believe EVERY receiver was running his routes too short.

4. Secondary - While there were certainly some moments, there's no excuse for a 7 yard cushion at the goal line. If we don't start chucking guys at the line, it's gonna be a long year.

...all this stuff is "fixable", and I honestly liked the Defense overall, but you can really tell the team hasn't had the same number of reps.

Last edited:
Have we gotten so excited about our D that we've looked past the 208 passing yards surrendered Monday night to Jets rookie quarterback Greg McElroy, making him the NFL leader during the preseason in yardage?

With Sanchez's 45 yds (in only 7 snaps, only being 1 incomplete), that's a game total of 253 yds passing yds given up. Last year the Texans came in at 32nd in passing defense with 267.5 yds given up per game (253 would have gotten them to 30th).

Of course, this is only the preseason game...........just saying.......

Have we gotten so excited about our D that we've looked past the 208 passing yards surrendered Monday night to Jets rookie quarterback Greg McElroy, making him the NFL leader during the preseason in yardage?

With Sanchez's 45 yds (in only 7 snaps, only being 1 incomplete), that's a game total of 253 yds passing yds given up. Last year the Texans came in at 32nd in passing defense with 267.5 yds given up per game (253 would have gotten them to 30th).

Of course, this is only the preseason game...........just saying.......

It's a preseason game. It's the FIRST preseason game. Remember the Cardinal's game last year? Most of us were excited that we finally had a good defense. Mario, Demeco, and Cush came out and we CRUSHED the Cardinal's 1s.

So, yeah, McElroy throwing for a bunch of yards is a problem. But there are 3 things:
1) Against the 2's, he didn't do so well. He was getting crushed by the 2's. He picked up most of his yardage against the 3's.

2) McElroy ended up playing a lot longer than most QBs this past weekend. Most teams played 3 QBs so the stats were a little more evenly spread out.

3) If you look at the team stats for last week, our passing D ended up 18th giving up 210 yards passing (remember to remove sack yardage) and 17th in passer rating. BUT last year, we finished 12th in the preseason giving up 209 yards per game BUT we finished 30th in passer rating. So although we gave up the amount of yardage, we forced more negative plays.

So, it's not great. The D still needs to gel. But it looks a little better than it did.

Didn't McElroy throw about 40 times in the game? That had to be more than any QB in the preseason. A lot of dinkin and dunkin

BTW, I'm not making excuses. Just surprised they threw it so much when they were running the ball pretty well. McKnight got hurt so maybe that was the issue?

I didn't like how everyone tried to deduce something substantive about the starters from one quarter of the first game of post-lockout preseason football.

Back