Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Well call me a homer but..

jmerog

Waterboy
I am extremely happy anout the things I am hearing out of David Carr. He just finished with an interview on 610am and said some good things.

-He said Kubiak is giving him alot of QB tips and tricks to recognise coverages and quickly make descisions.
-He is being expected to learn volumes and is being held accountable by Kubiak.
_Andre is running better, faster, more aggressive routes with deternination and attitude.
-Everone has a chip -he said 'they are pissed'
-said our new rookie tackle stood up to Mario. he said it was a stand-off on the line.

the interview is on going.

someone who can write please post more

Thanks for sharing Jmerog. Good to hear that guys are p.o.'d about last year. People are motivated by different things, but if you cannot be motivated by what failure tastes, looks, feels, smells and sounds like then you do not belong in anything that rewards success.

The players do seem to have a far more aggressive, winning attitude this off-season

I was talking to a player a couple of weeks ago and I told him what I wanted for Christmas this year was our first win over the Colts on December 24th. He replied, "What's wrong with September 17th?" And there I was, thinking about home field advantage. I liked hearing that response!

Our conversation turned to how Kubiak has motivated the team and has them believing in themselves, not just through speeches but also by providing a coaching staff that is making the players better at their jobs.

Good stuff to hear. Beyond 2-14, they should be pissed at 19-45 and the fact that this franchise has never had a winning record.

I'm actually looking forward to pre-season this year. Beyond such a freakin' long off-season getting over, I really want to see the fire and attitude more than anything else. If people are fighting for their jobs, there should be plenty of aggression out there. Which is something we really haven't seen in quite awhile on our Texans teams lately.

Kaiser Toro said:
Thanks for sharing Jmerog. Good to hear that guys are p.o.'d about last year. People are motivated by different things, but if you cannot be motivated by what failure tastes, looks, feels, smells and sounds like then you do not belong in anything that rewards success.

:um:

What's supposed to happen to Beck and the Butthole Surfers then?

Double Barrel said:
Good stuff to hear. Beyond 2-14, they should be pissed at 19-45 and the fact that this franchise has never had a winning record.
I don't think the team had anything to be ashamed of the 1st 3 seasons. Well, maybe the Cleveland game in '04. Last season's performance would have been embarrassing for an 1st year expansion team.

TwinSisters said:
:um:

What's supposed to happen to Beck and the Butthole Surfers then?

They were motivated to make a song and consequently profited off of their failure unbeknownst to their market.

Lucky said:
I don't think the team had anything to be ashamed of the 1st 3 seasons. Well, maybe the Cleveland game in '04. Last season's performance would have been embarrassing for an 1st year expansion team.

Perhaps, man. But we are the first modern franchise to not have at least one winning season (much less playoff appearance) in our first four years of existence. There is definitely not much to be proud of in our short history.

And I never said "ashamed". My choice of words was "pissed". :muscles:

I was never more P O'd than going into the start of preseason last year. I knew this team was going to be in complete shambles. Aside from all the homer writings of late from the Cron and this website, I do see a different pattern in putting a good product on the field. We still don't have the talent level to make the playoffs and I give a little cushion to a new coaching staff, new players and new schemes for us to finish in the 5-11, 6-10 range, but to me I still am totally excited on what we should see out of this team, especially the offense.

David Carr is going to be a beast, I don't know whats up with Texans fans. Everybody in America thinks David Carr can be a franchise QB except Texans fans.

ClintonPortis26 said:
David Carr is going to be a beast, I don't know whats up with Texans fans. Everybody in America thinks David Carr can be a franchise QB except Texans fans.

There are many reasons - some logical, some not so logical. It'll be interesting to watch him play this year, to say the least.

Familiarity breeds contempt - Mark Twain

jmerog said:
I am extremely happy anout the things I am hearing out of David Carr. He just finished with an interview on 610am and said some good things.

-He said Kubiak is giving him alot of QB tips and tricks to recognise coverages and quickly make descisions.
_Andre is running better, faster, more aggressive routes with deternination and attitude.
-said our new rookie tackle stood up to Mario. he said it was a stand-off on the line.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have anymore info about who stood up to Mario, was it Spencer? What else was said about this, I would like to hear more of the story.

I believe it was spencer...this topic was mentioned in another thread

xtruroyaltyx said:
I believe it was spencer...this topic was mentioned in another thread

That's kind of a good news, bad news thing. Good Spencer could stand up and bad that Mario didn't blow by. If it's just a time or two that's one thing, but if he constantly holds him out, that is a whole nother thing.

Until the hitting is live, blocking anyone should be taken with a grain.....football is a physical sport, take out the physical part and you don't have much. We really won't know much till the end of next month.

jmerog said:

Though I believe Carr is a decent enough QB, I could care less what somebody says. Words don't put one point on the scoreboard or complete one pass or gain one first down. The time for talking stopped a long, long time ago. I'm not impressed by words spoken to geeky, laptop-laden reporters.

ClintonPortis26 said:

There is a segment of posters here who continually berate Carr..:dangit:

Many of the Texan fans here, including this poster, believe that Carr will be an exceptional qb when given the opportunity . :thumbup
That just has not happened up to this point.

The crow population will be an endangered species when this season plays itself out.:D

Makes for interesting banter while we await the season.

:coffee:

ClintonPortis26 said:

Easy to say wait and see when its not your team your waiting on.....Man, that Jason Campbell is the next Dan Marino....you ought to play that guy every down no matter what!

ClintonPortis26 said:

*cough* Vince Young *cough*

Who said that?

ClintonPortis26 said:

Well, we have to watch him play every week. A luxury the rest of America does not have.

The left tackle that handles Mario consistantly gets the job. Seth Wand, I am sure waved as he went by just like last year. But, if the name of the game is " Run The Ball First" we are in a great place, the stable is full of great talent. Smith & DD should both be outstanding this year, and if that Sherman/Kubiak line does what they are suppose to, two 1,000 yard rushers in Texans uniforms is not out if reach.

There are only two seasons in this world, football season, and the off-season.

BBQ season doesn't count, cause that's year round in Houston

ClintonPortis26 said:

I think the majority of Texans fans agree with that statement, but the ones who don't are just more vocal.

Double Barrel said:

Good grief, man! The franchise has only been around for four years! You act like they've been around as long as the Packers! Remember, it took the Saints more than 20 years to have a winning record so I don't know why you or anyone else for that matter would be upset about that. Four years really, really isn't that long a time.

AFD1717 said:
I think the majority of Texans fans agree with that statement, but the ones who don't are just more vocal.

I believe the majority of Texans fans feel the opposite. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of casual fans out there who have only seen failures from this guy. They think he's a bust, not a beast. A majority of this message board might think he has potential, but this is a very small segment of the fan population.

ClintonPortis26 said:

That is because we are the only ones that watch. And for the most part even in the state of Texas it is hard to find a Texans game on Sunday unless you have the Sunday ticket.

wicked_wayz said:
*cough* VY *cough* gonna get folded by mario *cough*

And I cannot wait to see it. This offseason is waaay too long.

the wonger need food said:
I believe the majority of Texans fans feel the opposite. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of casual fans out there who have only seen failures from this guy. They think he's a bust, not a beast. A majority of this message board might think he has potential, but this is a very small segment of the fan population.

And there are also a "majority" of Texans fans who love the guy for his Christian/family values and long flowing hair and couldn't care less if he can throw a ball forward or not. As much as you cannot sleep at night and admit that David Carr might actually not only be a decent player but somewhat liked ... get a grip, chief.

jerek said:
And there are also a "majority" of Texans fans who love the guy for his Christian/family values and long flowing hair and couldn't care less if he can throw a ball forward or not. As much as you cannot sleep at night and admit that David Carr might actually not only be a decent player but somewhat liked ... get a grip, chief.

I talk to a lot of casual fans (actually, I consider everyone outside of this board a casual fan because they don't know nearly as much about the organization as we do) and a vast majority of them believe that Carr is a failure and a bust. Until he consistently leads his team to wins he will be considered a failure... no matter how christian or pretty he is.

Why don't you just support the team instead of popping off childish banter about our QB. No matter what sillyness you say about the guy he will still be our QB. So why don't you guys just support him until he's not?

Being Christian, pretty and having long hair have as much to do with being a bad or good Qb just as being an Atheist, really good looking and balding do.

Quack, quack!

bigbrewster2000 said:
Why don't you just support the team instead of popping off childish banter about our QB. No matter what sillyness you say about the guy he will still be our QB. So why don't you guys just support him until he's not?

Fans have a right to voice their opinion about their team...Did you support Capers & CO. till the end ?

I talk to a lot of casual fans (actually, I consider everyone outside of this board a casual fan because they don't know nearly as much about the organization as we do) and a vast majority of them believe that Carr is a failure and a bust. Until he consistently leads his team to wins he will be considered a failure... no matter how christian or pretty he is.

Dude I can understand and even appreciate that but you have to understand that I'm not going to put that much credence in "your connections' take" versus mine. I too talk to a lot of people both in and even out of Texas and a lot of them think Carr is a good player with the chance to be something. And still others only know that he is that guy their girlfriend said was cute or whatever. I have talked to a lot of people within my church and elsewhere who know him more as David Carr The Family Man -- whom admittedly have only a "casual" knowledge of the game -- and root for him thusly. So for purposes of the "casual fan," certainly I would agree that there are many who, as you say, call him a bust, but to pretend that "many" means "most" or that your survey is somehow more authoritative is a bit presumptuous IMO.

I would never tell you that DC's family values or religious beliefs should have any bearing on how much he is played and how much money he plays for, but if you want to speak for the casual fan then please do not try to speak for them all.

xtruroyaltyx said:
Fans have a right to voice their opinion about their team...Did you support Capers & CO. till the end ?
I didn't quit watching for the entire season. I watched every excruciating play because I want to suport m team no matter how bad. Why? Because I want this town to be known for our great fans instead of the fair weather fans that we are. There is nothing wrong with criticizm but why is it going on in the middle of the offseason when all arrows are pointing up?

jerek said:
Dude I can understand and even appreciate that but you have to understand that I'm not going to put that much credence in "your connections' take" versus mine. I too talk to a lot of people both in and even out of Texas and a lot of them think Carr is a good player with the chance to be something. And still others only know that he is that guy their girlfriend said was cute or whatever. I have talked to a lot of people within my church and elsewhere who know him more as David Carr The Family Man -- whom admittedly have only a "casual" knowledge of the game -- and root for him thusly. So for purposes of the "casual fan," certainly I would agree that there are many who, as you say, call him a bust, but to pretend that "many" means "most" or that your survey is somehow more authoritative is a bit presumptuous IMO.

I would never tell you that DC's family values or religious beliefs should have any bearing on how much he is played and how much money he plays for, but if you want to speak for the casual fan then please do not try to speak for them all.

I never claimed to have any connections or any type of authoritative survey results. Just using numbers based on my personal experiences. And those experiences tell me that a lot of people think Carr is a bust. Until he proves otherwise, he has been. The word "potential" can only take you so far. With that said, I hope he lives up to that potential and proves a lot of people wrong this season... including myself.

bigbrewster2000 said:

Because I'm not a real fan.

xtruroyaltyx said:

Yes.

Because I'm not a real fan

I knew it!

Being Christian, pretty and having long hair have as much to do with being a bad or good Qb just as being an Atheist, really good looking and balding do.

Really? No wait... Yes. No, I disagree... wait. Yes, I agree.

You know a few days ago a parade went by my window and I saw a few guys sporting #8 Texans jerseys. What does that mean? I am confused... I think. Or was I born that way? Not sure.

I never claimed to have any connections or any type of authoritative survey results. Just using numbers based on my personal experiences. And those experiences tell me that a lot of people think Carr is a bust. Until he proves otherwise, he has been. The word "potential" can only take you so far. With that said, I hope he lives up to that potential and proves a lot of people wrong this season... including myself.

Let's see..."the word on Carr according to the Wonger" or Kubiak...???? :tease:

When you look at the off season, let's keep in mind that the new coaching will take some adjusting, but the motivation to show the world we're better than last year will show up as well. Carr has a bad W-L ratio, and because he is the QB that STAT is on his resume', not on any other players.
It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you pick yourself up that matters, and David keeps getting up. When David smiles when he's pulling himself off the turf, it reminds me of Farve & Elway in that they love the game, and so does Carr.
8-8 would be a good season, if we were in the NFC, that might make the playoffs too.

:logo: :twocents:

srstex said:
It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you pick yourself up that matters, and David keeps getting up. When David smiles when he's pulling himself off the turf, it reminds me of Farve & Elway in that they love the game, and so does Carr.

I appreciate your optimism, but there are plenty of QBs in this league that get knocked down and love the game. There are few that have the resume, including our QB at this moment, of Elway and Favre outside of getting knocked down and loving the game. We need the behavior of the team and Carr to change, which are happening in my opinion.

Actually, wonger is not far off with my daily experiences, as well. I'm always wearing Texans gear - hats or shirts - so I'm always targeted as the Texan fan to vent on for those around me. And for the most part, Carr is taking a beating, along with the o-line.

I'm not saying the above true, but the average (casual) fan has a perception of this team that they are under-achievers. I can't speak for ALL casual fans, but for the most part, my experience with everyday folks (non-hardcore football fanatics) focuses on the QB.

This year I hope they're all proven wrong, of course. Once we start winning games, these same fans jump on the bandwagon and will sing praises for DC. Such is the way of the casual fan and the cycles of sports.

What numbers, based on your personal experiences, tell you a lot of people think Carr is a bust? :hmmm:

Just how many people is "a lot of people"?

Is it possible you are going by the opinions of a few friends who may have become influenced by your incessant rantings about Carr? :rolleyes:

Just curious.

cuppacoffee said:
What numbers, based on your personal experiences, tell you a lot of people think Carr is a bust? :hmmm:

Is it possible you are going by the opinions of a few friends who may have become influenced by your incessant rantings about Carr? :rolleyes:

Just curious.

I agree with him...most people outside of the message board that I have talked Texans with despise Carr....Honestly, I haven't met too many people who think highly of Carr...:tease:

Double Barrel said:
Actually, wonger is not far off with my daily experiences, as well. I'm always wearing Texans gear - hats or shirts - so I'm always targeted as the Texan fan to vent on for those around me. And for the most part, Carr is taking a beating, along with the o-line.

I'm not saying the above true, but the average (casual) fan has a perception of this team that they are under-achievers. I can't speak for ALL casual fans, but for the most part, my experience with everyday folks (non-hardcore football fanatics) focuses on the QB.

This year I hope they're all proven wrong, of course. Once we start winning games, these same fans jump on the bandwagon and will sing praises for DC. Such is the way of the casual fan and the cycles of sports.

True, though I still -- what, two months after the fact? -- field the "why did you pass on Bush" rhetoric far more often than anything to do with Carr.

Prior to that, it was equal parts bad O-line, Carr sucks, with a little Capers-is-a-moron thrown in for good measure. For every "casual fan" who did not think highly of Carr, I have encountered another that likes him because he is a good, God-fearing family man. Again, that doesn't particularly have much to do with football, but these people watch Texans games and root for David Carr's success because of it.

jerek said:
True, though I still -- what, two months after the fact? -- field the "why did you pass on Bush" rhetoric far more often than anything to do with Carr.

Prior to that, it was equal parts bad O-line, Carr sucks, with a little Capers-is-a-moron thrown in for good measure. For every "casual fan" who did not think highly of Carr, I have encountered another that likes him because he is a good, God-fearing family man. Again, that doesn't particularly have much to do with football, but these people watch Texans games and root for David Carr's success because of it.

oh, no doubt about the first part. I still get put in the position of defending that "dumb f decision" (as it's put to me), like I'm the one that made the pick!

From my work associates, clients, vendors, truck driver, neighbors, family, etc., almost to a person they have these misconceptions of our team. I'm sure 2-14 makes them an easy target for a lot of criticism, but I think the media's drum beat has gotten a lot of folks marching in the wrong direction.

That's alright, though, because when Kubiak & Co. turn this ship around, I'll be smiling my arse off with a "told you so" look in my eyes. (actually, I'll be saying "I told you so" to a lot of people, too!)

I could honestly care less what a casual fan thinks about the team or my undying support for the cause. They can pick on me all they want, but I'm silently taking names. I'll happily remove that new Texans hat that they'll proudly sport when we're in the playoffs. Chumps. :cool:

Double Barrel said:
oh, no doubt about the first part. I still get put in the position of defending that "dumb f decision" (as it's put to me), like I'm the one that made the pick!

From my work associates, clients, vendors, truck driver, neighbors, family, etc., almost to a person they have these misconceptions of our team. I'm sure 2-14 makes them an easy target for a lot of criticism, but I think the media's drum beat has gotten a lot of folks marching in the wrong direction.

That's alright, though, because when Kubiak & Co. turn this ship around, I'll be smiling my arse off with a "told you so" look in my eyes. (actually, I'll be saying "I told you so" to a lot of people, too!)

I could honestly care less what a casual fan thinks about the team or my undying support for the cause. They can pick on me all they want, but I'm silently taking names. I'll happily remove that new Texans hat that they'll proudly sport when we're in the playoffs. Chumps. :cool:

Agreed.

cuppacoffee said:

Just curious.

How many people? I would say at least 100, from all walks of life. From co-workers to clients to the UPS guys to my grandparents (btw... my grandmother hates Carr and simply calls him "that pretty boy !#@#$$@") to the guy in front of me in line at the theatre. I wear some form of Texans gear almost everyday so it's a conversation that I've had several times. Until we drafted Mario, all anyone really wanted to talk about was how bad Carr is.

Personally, I couldn't care less what Joe Bandwagon Fan thinks or says and I have formed my own opinions of Carr based on watching him take hundreds of snaps and looking like an NFL quarterback on very few of those.

Back