Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Robert Woods

He’s not a true difference maker, but he isn’t JAG either. he is one of the better run blockers in the league at his position, something highly valued by the Kubiak/Shanny system. He’s the 2023 version of Kevin Walter and I expect fairly close numbers and impact assuming we get better QB play…not some Mills crapola but actual QB play.
He's a JAG

He was still the leader on that team with 53 catches.
That's 48th in the league, which you may consider JAG material.
But given the level of QB play, I'd say he's more than a JAG.
Exactly, Lee knows that, I believe he doesn’t like the player and probably thinks we should’ve went in a different direction.

I think we're ignoring the obvious with the Texans signing Woods. The Texans' coaching staff faced Woods twice a year for 5 years. They have a familiarity with him and seem to think he has something to offer.
No way did Caserio sign this guy without talking to the coaching staff.

He's a JAG

Lee, it's like beauty. The eye is in the beholder. You say JAG and I see someone that might be a sneaky good signing. Again, I am not saying he is all-world or anything but a good veteran presence to take on the role that Cooks had to mentor the young bucks, be a stable presence on and off the field. Good run blocker, knows the overall WCO, runs good routes from what I remember. I like the signing overall and it takes a slight amount of pressure off in the draft at the WR position. I think you also have to consider who was throwing to him last year. I expect some modest improvement in his numbers, but I think his presence alone has to be part of the evaluation on the signing as well. We'll agree to disagree.

Lee, it's like beauty. The eye is in the beholder. You say JAG and I see someone that might be a sneaky good signing. Again, I am not saying he is all-world or anything but a good veteran presence to take on the role that Cooks had to mentor the young bucks, be a stable presence on and off the field. Good run blocker, knows the overall WCO, runs good routes from what I remember. I like the signing overall and it takes a slight amount of pressure off in the draft at the WR position. I think you also have to consider who was throwing to him last year. I expect some modest improvement in his numbers, but I think his presence alone has to be part of the evaluation on the signing as well. We'll agree to disagree.
I'm also ok with the signing. I think Metchie coming back will also take pressure off in the draft. He's basically still a rookie, so no telling what he's going to do.
All in all, I'm not a huge fan of the WRs in this draft. There seem to be more smallish, waterbug types, harkening back to Dan Marino and the Clayton duo, than Andre Johnson types.

You know how many teams run the wco in the nfl? There are alot of wrs that have familiarity to that. I don't dislike Woods, I've said it before, in a rebuild, I'm not signing guys over 30.Really, 26 or 27 yrs old should be the cutoff unless they're still special. Then you add in wr, which is a quick twitch position and we're talking about a guy who was never a speed guy. That's not what I think is the proper choice especially before free agency. Those positions need young legs like running back. You give Woods 8m guaranteed has an effect on signing a younger,cheaper, player with potential imo.

He knows the system from his time with McVay, who in turn learned directly from Shanahan, and can (hopefully) be productive as a #2 while mentoring our young WRs. Its not a flashy signing, but it does make some sense, especially since Cooks has had one foot out the door since Easterby's departure.

Jakobi Myers just got about double the guaranteed money and salary as Woods. Still think it’s a bit of an overpay for Woods but not bad

As a wr , the only thing he does better than Cooks is block. Listen, I like Woods, he's been a solid contributor most of his career. I wouldn't trade Cooks and eat a bunch of money because of Woods. I don't really understand why now? Woods is a guy you can get at the end of free agency and he's certainly not a player who should have gtd money unless its tied to making the roster and being active and playing games.

The only thing Cooks does better is block? I’d have expected Cooks to have clearly superior numbers when they were teammates in LA if that were the case.

But Woods outproduced Cooks in receptions, yards and tds both seasons they played together.

Cooks:

80 rec/1204 yds/5 tds

Woods:

86 rec/1219 yds/6 tds

2019:

Cooks:

42 rec/583 yds/2 tds

Woods:

90 rec/1134 yds/2 tds

The only thing Cooks does better is block? I’d have expected Cooks to have clearly superior numbers when they were teammates in LA if that were the case.

But Woods outproduced Cooks in receptions, yards and tds both seasons they played together.

Cooks:

80 rec/1204 yds/5 tds

Woods:

86 rec/1219 yds/6 tds

2019:

Cooks:

42 rec/583 yds/2 tds

Woods:

90 rec/1134 yds/2 tds
I see you on that narrative. 6 rec and 15 yds, that's awesome. The next year is when Cooks has concussion issues. The problem with those stats are teams kept safeties on the roof because of Cooks speed .

Woods has 2 1k seasons in his career, Cooks has 6 despite coming in 1 year after Woods. Again, I don't have an issue with Woods, but wr to me is like rbs. You need young legs because of all the running. When the best thing you can say is he can block, all you're going to do is create another low ypc, highly contested ball catcher because lack of separation. Cooks still get separation because he still run routes and has the top end speed. Just go young at that spot. Metchie, Cooks, Collins, and just add young draft picks.

C'mon bro

Woods has catchers mits for hands and they are strong. Go watch some film. Guy has done stuff like 1 handed catches pinning the ball to his helmet...and scored.

Not saying Dhop has bad hands. Just that Woods are not far off or just as good. Here is an example. Can't say that wasn't a great catch and then used his helmet to secure it

Last edited:
Back