Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

CJ became the 1st rookie QB in
NFL history to have at least 900 passing yards, four pass touchdowns and zero interceptions in his first three career starts.

This kid is a stud. And IMO he will only get better.

Pre-draft, I had not idea what quarterback would be the best. I thought Young was too small and was not a fan of running QB's like Richardson, but I also had the concerns on Stroud that Ohio State was giving him all the weapons and they didn't face parity in competition like he was going to face in the NFL.

At this point, it looks like Stroud didn't just look good based on his Ohio State receivers and he's a good QB. Really happy the Texans could win at gambling (the draft) and think Stroud can be the QB for a long time.

Now we’re playing the petty card. Off the chains this guy. Because we all knows how you get down. Lol petty
It's one very promising win.

If you want me to start acting this way then I will be happy to oblige.It's not going to be good for the board though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this post was made by you.

You all want to talk S2 scores. On that 68 yard TD throw to Tank if you watch Tank he was running a post to the sideline, he was so wide open that Stroud threw it to the inside making him change his route upfield for the TD. Anyone else notice that?
Stroud was well protected ( The key to that play) and Dell was wide open. Very promising, I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy ol. Things should only get better.

What you don't seem to realize is that I'm going to enjoy getting my nose rubbed in it for the next 10 to 15 years.

I don't care about being right if they get it right. :P
Exactly
And a word manipulator. Here is what I dont get. People are going to whine and complain. That’s why Amerika is now what it is. But as many times as I’ve had posts deleted and I get it that I know the rules yet screwed up, in a “Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud” thread why does it have so many references to prisons, hanging with bad crowds, lack of intelligence, dumb, inner city, etc? Over and over and over? Just stop that crap or give somebody their own thread to crap in. Personally It gives every appearance of poorly disguised racism. Im embarrassed about it and I didn’t post it. In a city of 6 million or so how many viewers or posters on this MB not living in a shiny new neighborhood have to wade through this crap to read about someone who is giving them something to cheer about? And more disgusting still from someone who doesn’t disguise their moral superiority? Buckeye Homer hit the nail on the head when he said this is a board of cliques.
BS post of the day

Racism ? LMAO

Moral superiority? LMAO

I've probably been poorer than anybody on this MB.

This post only tells me that you know nothing about me. Talk about a thinly disguised post. BTW, I expected this post from you. Glad you got this out of your system. Maybe now we can get back to talking ball. Or maybe not.

BTW, I remember a time when these same things were being said about Derrick. Surely you can remember those days. I'm in prove it mode and one game or frankly one season doesn't change this.

Last edited:
He has never been any different from day one. He loves the game, his team and the city of Houston. He is humble and grateful for his opportunities. Through all of this various more moral and intelligent posters still wanted to destroy his character and intelligence. Most pathetically he is denigrated for having a father in prison and going to a wrong party and having an agent with an inner city tag. I don’t see how any human spirit can improve on that overreaction.
It's one game, however what you don't realize is I'm very happy Stroud is looking good.

The boy can throw the ball… but he does look uncomfortable (and awkward) handing the ball off. I’d love it the Texans would consider bringing on Schaub or someone similar to help Stroud with his handoffs.
Probably because when he hands the ball off the RB is lucky to get a yard or two.

Maybe Stroud thinks he can get more yards throwing it instead of handing it off. 🤣

Pierce and Singletary did do better this game though.

That one I deserve.

IF Nick & DeMeco saw a future franchise QB & had to have him I have no qualms over them drafting Stroud. I believe I said so when they drafted him (I probably said, "I don't see it." & stressed that when I said it).

IF Hannah picked him, you guys got nothing to brag about. We got lucky, so far. & I'm good with that too, as long as the Texans are winning.
comeon,get up.. is that boot scooting boogey?

I’d say the people hijacking every thread with I told you so’s about how Stroud will be a bust before the games start and self-serving “We can do the job better than the football guys” posts are the ones being petty.

But now that we’ve got three games of actionable information on Stroud, it’s nice to see the S2 score and crowd he hangs around hasn’t had any effect on his game… ;)
just to be fair [giggle] the S2 and crowd could be effecting his game. He might even be better...

Pre-draft, I had not idea what quarterback would be the best. I thought Young was too small and was not a fan of running QB's like Richardson, but I also had the concerns on Stroud that Ohio State was giving him all the weapons and they didn't face parity in competition like he was going to face in the NFL.

At this point, it looks like Stroud didn't just look good based on his Ohio State receivers and he's a good QB. Really happy the Texans could win at gambling (the draft) and think Stroud can be the QB for a long time.
Good post

That one I deserve.

IF Nick & DeMeco saw a future franchise QB & had to have him I have no qualms over them drafting Stroud. I believe I said so when they drafted him (I probably said, "I don't see it." & stressed that when I said it).

IF Hannah picked him, you guys got nothing to brag about. We got lucky, so far. & I'm good with that too, as long as the Texans are winning.

BTH (a play on BDN).

Exactly
BS post of the day

Racism ? LMAO

Moral superiority? LMAO

I've probably been poorer than anybody on this MB.

This post only tells me that you know nothing about me. Talk about a thinly disguised post. BTW, I expected this post from you. Glad you got this out of your system. Maybe now we can get back to talking ball. Or maybe not.

BTW, I remember a time when these same things were being said about Derrick. Surely you can remember those days. I'm in prove it mode and one game or frankly one season doesn't change this.

You sound like the idiot over on Clutchfans who first loved Mayo boy Levis and swears that Drake Maye is the second coming (even better than Caleb Williams). Can't give Stroud credit for anything. Was complaining that the first deep pass to Dell wasn't "perfect" and Dell did all the work. That Stroud has been this good so far, is killing him. He is just waiting for a mistake to say " SEE, CJ Sucks....OSU QBs suckl".

Some interesting stats on Stroud in the Jaguars game per 610 radio (can't vouch for numbers)

Under Pressure: 40% dropbacks - 125 Passer Rating
No Pressure: 60% dropbacks - 114 Passer Rating
The only thing I would question is the 40%

He's definitely gotten better in a very short amount of time. That 125% would be very impressive, if those numbers hold out.

At the end of the day I’ve always considered this just a welcome, we support our new QB thread. i think most of us know how life in the NFL works. Even Watson may have turned it around for now? It’s good to support his success and hope he continues to lead the team like he has because man do Texans fans ever need this guy right now.

He reminds me more of Patrick Mahomes. Playmaker and gym rat. Difference being Patrick was a baseball player (pitcher but wanted to play shortstop) while CJ was a point guard in basketball.
Both applicable, competitive, studious, memorizing concepts and learning from mistakes.
As someone who wanted to wait a year to draft a qb, I'd like to point out that CJ should have used the backboard at the 50 second mark of the video.

Steelb, Watson had a history of up and down runs of form, he ended up putting together a pretty good season just before the news broke, he looked good again this week for the Browns apparently after some poor performances to start the season, Stroud’s curve has been consistently up so far. He’s learned from his mistakes, made a strength of his weaknesses, been very accurate and poised.

Of course every rookie QB reaches a point where the defensive coordinators have enough tape to begin really keying in on what to target and we will see how CJ handles that in due course.

No need to think we have a similar situation to Watson on our hands, though, he seems better on the field and on some kind of mission from God to spread the gospel by winning football games off it. It’s all looking good right now.

Refresh my memory. Was that the one where he had to split two free rushers, stiff arm a linebacker, hurdle a safety while throwing off platform from the third slot placing the ball just beyond the CBs fingertips?

Or the one that was perfectly picked up where he stepped up into a virtually clean pocket?

Regardless, I didn't mean literally no pressure. Like I said, the Jags pass rush & their secondary sucks.
That's not factually true though.

Through the beginning of the season the Jags had one of the highest graded secondaries and it's not like Josh Allen is some kind of pass rushing slouch. He's an absolute demon.

They didn't really show up yesterday but in on paper and in every other game so far that secondary is very good. That's just a fact.

Edit: Even here in this PFF preview video the Jags secondary is discussed on how well they've played in coverage so far. Although the pass rush is still described as Josh Allen and friends lol

Last edited:

This is actually what makes me most excited. I still believe the most important thing for a QB is to deliver when the stakes are the highest. Thats why Eli has 2 rings - he was never an elite QB, but he always showed up, when the lights were the brightest. Schaub on the other hand was always a very good QB but he never elevated his game when he needed to.

I am not saying Stroud is definetly a franchise QB - it has only been 3 games and not everything is perfect. But he easily has exceeded my expectations.

That's not factually true though.

Through the beginning of the season the Jags had one of the highest graded secondaries and it's not like Josh Allen is some kind of pass rushing slouch. He's an absolute demon.
The 2022 Jags defense was 28th in the league in pass yards allowed. And they pretty much rolled out the same guys in 2023. What we saw Sunday is pretty much what they are. A defense still looking for playmaker in the secondary.

The 2022 Jags defense was 28th in the league in pass yards allowed. And they pretty much rolled out the same guys in 2023. What we saw Sunday is pretty much what they are. A defense still looking for playmaker in the secondary.
Things change from year to year even when personnel doesn't.

Have the Jags had some of the best secondary numbers through two weeks before this game? Yes. That's not up for debate.

Also if we want to go so hard into last year the Jags were one of the best offenses putting up yards and then added Calvin Ridley for this year. Does slowing them down therefore mean we have one of the best defenses and secondaries?

Also if we want to go so hard into last year the Jags were one of the best offenses putting up yards and then added Calvin Ridley for this year. Does slowing them down therefore mean we have one of the best defenses and secondaries?
Ridley might not be the guy the Jags hoped for. Missing a year may not be the best thing for some players.

This season, the Jags are 22nd in the league in pass defense after 3 games. Playing against the best QB (Mahomes) and two rookie QBs. I'm very happy with the Texans performance vs the Jags defense. All of their guys are on scholarships. But let's pump the brakes on what a good defense the Jags have.

Ridley might not be the guy the Jags hoped for. Missing a year may not be the best thing for some players.

This season, the Jags are 22nd in the league in pass defense after 3 games. Playing against the best QB (Mahomes) and two rookie QBs. I'm very happy with the Texans performance vs the Jags defense. All of their guys are on scholarships. But let's pump the brakes on what a good defense the Jags have.
For sure, but it's a bit rich to do the "pump the brakes" after a good performance and a win and then a full diagnosis of his lack of decision making skills and bad S2 score based on one single throw in a loss.

I don't think anyone is putting a bust of him in canton yet, they're just happy that it looks like they have a guy. Why does joy have to be limited but misery not?

I keep thinking that Deshaun looked good in his first games as a Texan so maybe bridle the enthusiasm. Then I watch Deshaun now and he's still doing the same stupid things that there were signs of early in his career - scrambling from pressure that doesn't exist and creating pressure as a result. CJ looks as cool as a cucumber in the pocket - something Watson never had and one of the most important traits of a good qb. We've seen promising starts from qbs go south over time so the jury on CJ will be out for a while, but nice to see he has all the traits you're looking for and better to have a promising start than a poor one.

I keep thinking that Deshaun looked good in his first games as a Texan so maybe bridle the enthusiasm. Then I watch Deshaun now and he's still doing the same stupid things that there were signs of early in his career - scrambling from pressure that doesn't exist and creating pressure as a result. CJ looks as cool as a cucumber in the pocket - something Watson never had and one of the most important traits of a good qb. We've seen promising starts from qbs go south over time so the jury on CJ will be out for a while, but nice to see he has all the traits you're looking for and better to have a promising start than a poor one.
Watson still holds the ball longer than anyone in the league.

It's humorous to see the pre-season talk of how good the Browns o-line would be and now people are saying it's bad because Watson is under so much pressure all the time because he just absolutely refuses to throw a quick short pass and wants the deep ball/scramble every time.

Screw Watson. I hope he falls into a sinkhole and is bitten by baby Godzilla. Then a semi-trailer falls into the hole, right before a meteor strikes. After which he's attacked by 100 massage therapists.

Meanwhile CJ Stroud is having his statues erected in Canton and is nominated for Secretary General of the UN.

Steelb, Watson had a history of up and down runs of form, he ended up putting together a pretty good season just before the news broke, he looked good again this week for the Browns apparently after some poor performances to start the season, Stroud’s curve has been consistently up so far. He’s learned from his mistakes, made a strength of his weaknesses, been very accurate and poised.

Of course every rookie QB reaches a point where the defensive coordinators have enough tape to begin really keying in on what to target and we will see how CJ handles that in due course.

No need to think we have a similar situation to Watson on our hands, though, he seems better on the field and on some kind of mission from God to spread the gospel by winning football games off it. It’s all looking good right now.
While I agree with you about the up and down on field stuff for Derrick. That certainly wasn't the sentiment around these parts. In fact Derrick's first few games were every bit as good as Strouds. But I agree with you Stroud's a better talent.

The last part I'm of the prove it mindset. Because he's got the same agent and admires the guy who's a sexual predator. Hopefully he's everything you think he is.

You sound like the idiot over on Clutchfans who first loved Mayo boy Levis and swears that Drake Maye is the second coming (even better than Caleb Williams). Can't give Stroud credit for anything. Was complaining that the first deep pass to Dell wasn't "perfect" and Dell did all the work. That Stroud has been this good so far, is killing him. He is just waiting for a mistake to say " SEE, CJ Sucks....OSU QBs suckl".
I didn't want a QB to be drafted this year, so you got that wrong.

I've got QB's ranked as of right now

Williams, who I've got reservations about drafting.

Sanders
Maye
McCarthy
Nix.

All are worthy of first Rd picks IMHO.

I don’t know who they are. That’s why I asked the question.

I guess you don’t either.
I think I'm one of them. Admittedly, I don't applaud every pick the Texans make, including Stroud (oops) and Mills (I was very vocal about that pick the day it was made). I have my reasons for not liking (or liking) the pick, I state my case and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. When Mills didn't pan out, I didn't do victory laps around the board, just the opposite - I wasn't happy about him not becoming a star.

I'm not sure what fan criteria baller has in judging others fandom. So, I'm not sure if I'm in the good fan or bad fan camp. I can only speak for myself in saying I'm always skeptical of the Texans decision making. Not because I think I'm smarter than them, it's just that after pouring my guts out for the Oilers in the 70's, 80's and 90's and then the Texans, I'm always leary.

Bears' fans are thinking they will tank for Caleb Williams and still have all those panthers' picks. No way the Bears were drafting another OSU QB and they though Bryce was too small.
The Bears also liked what they saw out of Fields when they let him run around and make school yard plays last season. He just isn't a serviceable passer from the pocket. His college stats say the opposite about him, so I guess it was the talent around him at OSU that helped him more than Stroud. Fields just doesn't appear capable of seeing open receivers, throwing an accurate pass, or reading a defense in a timely manner. I wonder what his S2 score was. Whatever the reason, Fields looks nothing like he did in college. Stroud, after seemingly getting adjusted to the speed of the NFL, is trucking right along just like he did in college.
Justin Fields College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
Justin Fields Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Bryce is too small and Richardson runs too much. Neither could answer the bell in week 3.

Was last Sunday some posters, I told you so SB? First game won and we see this. SMH

I get the excitement about having a talented QB back in Houston. And I want people to be excited because it keeps me excited.

I don’t get the “I told you so” crowd so early. It’s a big excitement killer for me. Why is it so important to say your differing opinion is right.

No playoff wins. No come back wins. Hasn’t shown a healthy season. Hasn’t signed a second contract. Which is kind of a big deal because of who his agent is.

Yet some people think this guy has already won a Superbowl. Be happy but don’t be obnoxious about it.

Back