Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

We suck...

I'll never understand hometown fans that get up all upset when other hometown fans discuss observations about the franchise, positive or negative. Why are hometown fans supposed to live like North Korean citizens to you?

What I do understand is our fan base is up there with Philly. One of the worse.

And dude it's the constant bashing is what im talking about. Yes we will all have our moments. But to complain about the same skit on dang near every freaking thread.

And for the record I am not upset. Skit like this does not tick me off like that.
What are we allowed to complain about and what are we not allowed to complain about? It's been open season on O'Brien from "complainers" but that seems OK. However, if someone criticizes management that's wrong.

The amount of blame this 3rd year going on number 4 HC receives versus a GM going into his 12th season with this team is disproportionate, IMHO. If we were looking at continuous blunders by O'Brien I'd probably change my mind. But he hasn't. He hasn't been great either but I don't think he's been near as bad as some people make him out to be.

Maybe I'm biased. I like O'Brien. He's raising two kids, one with a severe mental disability. He has that pressure on him as well as trying to convert a historically mediocre team into a SB Winner. My hat's off to him and if he's fired or decides to leave I wish him well wherever he goes.

Complain all you want. Every fan will have their days. But the same **** on every thread, every week, every month and every year banned. Come on dude get over the **** and talk about something else.

And dude it's the constant bashing is what im talking about. Yes we will all have our moments. But to complain about the same skit on dang near every freaking thread.

And for the record I am not upset. Skit like this does not tick me off like that.

Complain all you want. Every fan will have their days. But the same **** on every thread, every week, every month and every year banned. Come on dude get over the **** and talk about something else.

Fortunately you don't get to decide what's appreciate to discuss.

You need to get over yourself

No brother get over yourself as well as being butt hurt over yesterday years bullcrap.

31 other teams man.

Rah Rah

I'm at the beach and very far from being butt hurt about anything.

Thanks for supplying me some humor on a great day.

Last edited:

What a bizarre comment. Don't equate a MB with mostly very knowledgeable football fans to the entire fan base. There are a million kool aid drinkers out there that have no clue but still live and die Texans. It's only rarely that you can find some reality about the Texans in this city.

I get tired of the same comments on this board also. but to make a statement like that really makes me wonder if you have a clue

With a F-UP that bad, paying to make it go away was a success

And the fact that nobody including BOB lost their job is simply mind blowing.

It's another example of, is winning the most important thing in the Texans org?

What a bizarre comment. Don't equate a MB with mostly very knowledgeable football fans to the entire fan base. There are a million kool aid drinkers out there that have no clue but still live and die Texans. It's only rarely that you can find some reality about the Texans in this city.

I get tired of the same comments on this board also. but to make a statement like that really makes me wonder if you have a clue

That comments is only for those that fit them shoes. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable fans on this forum as well as other forums i partake in.

But generally speaking our fan base be tripping big time.

As far as the kool-aid drinkers, they can be a pest too. But not as much as the doom and gloom, the sky is falling everyday fans.

That comments is only for those that fit them shoes. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable fans on this forum as well as other forums i partake in.

But generally speaking our fan base be tripping big time.

As far as the kool-aid drinkers, they can be a pest too. But not as much as the doom and gloom, the sky is falling everyday fans.

Being a good fan doesn't mean being a kool-aid drinker, or a doom and gloomer. It doesn't take agreeing with you to be a good fan. Being a fan means being passionate about your team and all that entails both good and bad. Philly fans probably one of the great fan bases because they do call it like they see it and let everyone know about it. They love their team and love to degrade the opposition. That's a fan. They get carried away sometimes but can't call them bad or non fans. If you want calm and peaceful then Philly ain't for you... perhaps you enjoy the sitting on the hands type of fan instead.

Being a good fan doesn't mean being a kool-aid drinker, or a doom and gloomer. It doesn't take agreeing with you to be a good fan. Being a fan means being passionate about your team and all that entails both good and bad. Philly fans probably one of the great fan bases because they do call it like they see it and let everyone know about it. They love their team and love to degrade the opposition. That's a fan. They get carried away sometimes but can't call them bad or non fans. If you want calm and peaceful then Philly ain't for you... perhaps you enjoy the sitting on the hands type of fan instead.
They may be good fans, but they are obnoxious as all get out. There were a few that frequented the same bar I did last season in NYC to watch the games.

Reactions: JB
Well, the people sure have invested a lot of $$$$ into this team. Why would any city ever give give an owner $$$$ if you look at this the way you do. I'm not saying you're wrong.

They may be good fans, but they are obnoxious as all get out. There were a few that frequented the same bar I did last season in NYC to watch the games.

They're a bunch of loud-mouth yankees that live in a crappy city, so it's not surprising. Philly consistently has one the highest violent crime rates of the ten American cities with a population greater than 1 million residents, as well as the highest poverty rate among these cities.

Those people live a lot more vicariously through their sports teams and when their teams suck, they take it personal. They apparently did not get the memo that it's just entertainment.

Maybe they enjoy football like I do?

Do you believe that fans are getting a good return on their investment. How do you in particular feel about your investment. If you're happy with mediocrity then your the type of fan they're looking for.

They're a bunch of loud-mouth yankees that live in a crappy city, so it's not surprising. Philly consistently has one the highest violent crime rates of the ten American cities with a population greater than 1 million residents, as well as the highest poverty rate among these cities.

Those people live a lot more vicariously through their sports teams and when their teams suck, they take it personal. They apparently did not get the memo that it's just entertainment.

I've got family from out there on my wife's side and I keep being told how I have to go out there and visit Philly and South Jersey. I keep telling them I'll go out there in that region at some soon to visit her family, but I'll likely visit NY for a day or so. I have no desire to visit Philly and especially New Jersey. Seems like nothing out there for me to discover other than bad attitudes.

If you're seeing the same problems and experiencing the same challenges due to how a franchise is ran or due to the personnel chosen to run the franchise with a lot of poor results, then what do you expect? The Texans have had only two GM's in like 17 or 18 years of history now, and in that time there hasn't been a single team that was a real contender for a SB. Not one. They've still never really had a game changing QB, and the best the fans ever got at that was Schaub for a year or two. This franchise has been one of the highest revenue earning teams in that time span despite that. Fans here still support the team financially because they love football. I'd say to a fault. Many look at the owner (McNair) and see a guy that really loves owning an NFL team and the lifestyle of it. They don't see a major competitive fire in him to constantly have the best football team especially with his loyalty he gives to people for to long. That's a perception that will be here and only get worse until the team has a long streak of success of being a top tier team with at least one SB win or a top tier elite star QB that makes them a contender for a long time.

I don't see Houston fans as Philly fans or them being comparable really. Philly fans are typical to NY'ers where they have to complain and be upset just for general conversation. I'd actually like it if Houston fans acted more like them based on the fact that we have Mcnair as our owner.

Do you believe that fans are getting a good return on their investment. How do you in particular feel about your investment. If you're happy with mediocrity then your the type of fan they're looking for.

This is the big problem a lot of people have with you. The constant "I'm a better fan that you because I won't stand for mediocrity!" spiel.

You give the Texans more money than most fans on this board... you seem to hate everything about how the team is run, yet you still GIVE THEM $$$$.

Your exactly the type of fan they are looking for. Stop pointing the finger at everyone else.

What does this have to do with a sports team representing a city or not?

Since I spent zero dollars on Houston Texans, Inc. last season, I think I got a pretty good return on my investment. ;)

Now, if I was foolish enough to be sucked into the PSL investment vortex, I might have a different perspective. Then it all becomes about that much celebrated NRG Gameday Experience©.

Since I spent zero dollars on Houston Texans, Inc. last season, I think I got a pretty good return on my investment. ;)

Now, if I was foolish enough to be sucked into the PSL investment vortex, I might have a different perspective. Then it all becomes about that much celebrated NRG Gameday Experience©.
I've been to a few games and bought a few jerseys. I'm good.

What does this have to do with a sports team representing a city or not?

Because if fans like you dont show up the city gets a black eye like they did when the Oilers were run out of town.

You saying that wasn't a bad representation of the people of this city?

This is the big problem a lot of people have with you. The constant "I'm a better fan that you because I won't stand for mediocrity!" spiel.

You give the Texans more money than most fans on this board... you seem to hate everything about how the team is run, yet you still GIVE THEM $$$$.

Your exactly the type of fan they are looking for. Stop pointing the finger at everyone else.

If you say so it must be true.

BTW, I'm not better than any fan whether they spend $$$$ on this incompetent org or not.

Because if fans like you dont show up the city gets a black eye like they did when the Oilers were run out of town.

What is a 'fan like me'?

Who described the city with a black eye when the oilers left? Are people painting St. Louis' eye black right now?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It was an element of the city and the population but it was in no way descriptive of the city and it's population at-large.

Waitaminit dude.
The Oilers weren't "run out of town".
Bud wanted the Astrodome to be upgraded (again). When that didn't fly he started looking for support for a new stadium. Didn't happen. Bud got an offer for a new stadium from the Nashville group and took them up on it. And remember, when Bud was petitioning for a new stadium, the Oilers had just come off a 2-14 season. Not the best selling point when you're asking for new digs.
Bud got the new stadium he wanted from Nashville instead of from Houston (thanks to Bob Lanier) and he took it; that's hardly being "run out of town".
LINK

What is a 'fan like me'?

Who described the city with a black eye when the oilers left? Are people painting St. Louis' eye black right now?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It was an element of the city and the population but it was in no way descriptive of the city and it's population at-large.

Well then we will have to agree to disagree.

I remember how embarrassing it was to see 15-20 fans show up to a save the Oilers protest on Sports Center. Not comparable at all to St. Louis.

Waitaminit dude.
The Oilers weren't "run out of town".
Bud wanted the Astrodome to be upgraded (again). When that didn't fly he started looking for support for a new stadium. Didn't happen. Bud got an offer for a new stadium from the Nashville group and took them up on it. And remember, when Bud was petitioning for a new stadium, the Oilers had just come off a 2-14 season. Not the best selling point when you're asking for new digs.
Bud got the new stadium he wanted from Nashville instead of from Houston (thanks to Bob Lanier) and he took it; that's hardly being "run out of town".
LINK

They were essentially gone when the HOF'er Warren Moon lead Oilers followed up the biggest choke of all (Buffalo) by choking away a playoff game in the 2nd half against Kansas City.

A big part of me being a stained fan to this day.

As much as I loved the Oilers, I hated Bud Adams even more. I was sad when they left, but having Bud Adams out of our hair was a blessing.

And yeah, I never count on a win from the Texans until the game is actually over. My gut feeling with the Texans is always "how are they going to screw it up this time?", I'd much rather my gut feeling be "how are they going to pull out this win?".

Not sure what vortex that is - I doubled my money on my PSLs.

The vortex of mandatory annual season ticket purchases or you lose your PSL investment. It was sarcasm. Surprised you missed it. :fingergun:

You can't bitch about the greed of NFL owners and also bitch about the fans (i.e. consumers) at the same time.

I mean, I suppose you can, but that's called talking out of both ends and you lose any/all credibility.

What is a 'fan like me'?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Any citizen of city that believes they are represented by their freakin' mercenary pro sports teams are simpletons (no offense intended, but just calling it like I see it).

This city has not seen a pro football team in an conference championship game since 1979. That's almost four decades, yet this city has more Fortune 500 companies with headquarters here than just about any other.

This city would financially be like Detroit if we depended on our football team to represent us.

The NFL, like ALL sports leagues, is nothing more than another entertainment medium. That's it. Nothing less, nothing more.

Complain all you want. Every fan will have their days. But the same **** on every thread, every week, every month and every year banned. Come on dude get over the **** and talk about something else.[/QUOTE]

Where was I complaining? The only way I remotely complained was by stating an opinion which was O'Brien seems to receive a disproportionate amount of blame from fans. Even when defending him I will parody his parroting the same things over and over. It goes over with the fans as well as "it's on me" from Kubs. And when he makes a blatant mistake, like lining up JJ Watt and Wilfork on offense at the goal line I get as mad at him as anybody would.

As much as I loved the Oilers, I hated Bud Adams even more. I was sad when they left, but having Bud Adams out of our hair was a blessing.

And yeah, I never count on a win from the Texans until the game is actually over. My gut feeling with the Texans is always "how are they going to screw it up this time?", I'd much rather my gut feeling be "how are they going to pull out this win?".

I feel the same way about all Houston pro teams. I haven't even enjoyed the Astros this year because I just have that feeling.

Where was I complaining? The only way I remotely complained was by stating an opinion which was O'Brien seems to receive a disproportionate amount of blame from fans. Even when defending him I will parody his parroting the same things over and over. It goes over with the fans as well as "it's on me" from Kubs. And when he makes a blatant mistake, like lining up JJ Watt and Wilfork on offense at the goal line I get as mad at him as anybody would.[/QUOTE]

You asked," what are we allowed to complain about".

And I said complain all you want, but on every single thread.

I've read a lot of your posts and I don't see you complaining like that. I've complained about a lot that's going on with this team as well. But once I have gotten that out my system, I move on. This back and forth about management is getting old. Since there are a few that are so ticked off about how things are ran on Kirby might want to send Mr. McNair a spicy letter expressing exactly how they feel.

well spoken for us old folk still kicking on the door

Reactions: ROO
They were essentially gone when the HOF'er Warren Moon lead Oilers followed up the biggest choke of all (Buffalo) by choking away a playoff game in the 2nd half against Kansas City.
I've always wondered how come Jack Pardee never gets mentioned when that loss comes up but Moon always does. Why is that?

I've always wondered how come Jack Pardee never gets mentioned when that loss comes up but Moon always does. Why is that?

Pardee wasn't on the field. The DC got ton's of heat over it. Pardee as well at the time.

Pardee was a nice guy. But, if we're honest about it, he often appeared like the lights were on but nobody was home.

I wish I could find that picture of him on the sideline wearing a half-cocked headphone set that wasn't plugged in. Bud wanted him to wear it because it made him look like a head coach, but it was more symbolic of his tenure as HC with the Oilers than they realized at the time.

Pardee was a nice guy. But, if we're honest about it, he often appeared like the lights were on but nobody was home.

I wish I could find that picture of him on the sideline wearing a half-cocked headphone set that wasn't plugged in. Bud wanted him to wear it because it made him look like a head coach, but it was more symbolic of his tenure as HC with the Oilers than they realized at the time.

LOL! Yeah. Pardee was told by Bud....... you're gonna wear it no matter what.....and I don't give a damn if it's plugged in or not.

Pardee wasn't on the field. The DC got ton's of heat over it. Pardee as well at the time.

No, but he was the idiot that built a 53 man roster without a FB or TE... Tough to run out the clock when your only running play is a delay draw with 5 Wrs on the field. Failed philosophy!

Pardee/Eddy are even more culpable. IMHO

But a HOF QB should never allow his team to melt down like that.

Even if the Oilers hadn't choked that big 35-3 lead against the Bills in the 1992 playoffs. Do any of you really believe they would have handled their business against the Steelers and Dolphins to win the conference that year? I think they would have, okay, I'll give you that...

And even then, would they have stood a chance against a loaded Cowboys team in the Super Bowl. That same Bills team got spanked by the Cowboys 59-17, err Leon Lett's blunder, 52-17 rather.

It bothers me that people actually think the Oilers had a Super Bowl winning caliber team that year. Super Bowl, yes, but winning it is another story. They may have given the Cowboys somewhat of a game but I still believe the Cowboys would have beaten the Oilers by at least two or three scores had they met in that Super Bowl that year.

And honestly, I still feel sad about the Astros losing the 2005 World Series (getting swept). If the Oilers had lost in the Super Bowl I'd still be depressed over it. Losing in the championship game/series in any sport, hurts the most!

I actually thank the Buffalo Bills for beating us in that game!
They saved us some serious heartbreak. Dallas was unstoppable.

Even if the Oilers hadn't choked that big 35-3 lead against the Bills in the 1992 playoffs. Do any of you really believe they would have handled their business against the Steelers and Dolphins to win the conference that year? I think they would have, okay, I'll give you that...

And even then, would they have stood a chance against a loaded Cowboys team in the Super Bowl. That same Bills team got spanked by the Cowboys 59-17, err Leon Lett's blunder, 52-17 rather.

It bothers me that people actually think the Oilers had a Super Bowl winning caliber team that year. Super Bowl, yes, but winning it is another story. They may have given the Cowboys somewhat of a game but I still believe the Cowboys would have beaten the Oilers by at least two or three scores had they met in that Super Bowl that year.

And honestly, I still feel sad about the Astros losing the 2005 World Series (getting swept). If the Oilers had lost in the Super Bowl I'd still be depressed over it. Losing in the championship game/series in any sport, hurts the most!

Football is all about match ups. It's a one game elimination, and sometimes a few wild things happen in a game and the better team doesn't prevail, but there are no do overs. Who knows what could have happened? It's fun to speculate. I'd give that team a strong chance against any of those teams.

BTW, the DC was fired right after that game and a new one was hired by Adams.............bypassing Pardee altogether in the decision.

Interesting little footnote is that Richard Smith (also a former Texans DC) was on that 35-3 Oilers staff. And he was the DC for the Falcons that just gave up a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl last January. Dude is a back luck charm.

Pardee/Eddy are even more culpable. IMHO

But a HOF QB should never allow his team to melt down like that.

This is something I've mentioned, as well. I won't argue Moon in the HoF, but he simply cannot be considered equals to guys like Montana, Elway, etc. They would never have let a 33 point lead get away in a playoff game.

Interesting point about the Oilers. Just took a look at their schedule, and they had already lost to the Steelers and Dolphins that season.

That team was built to score a lot of points, but not necessarily win a lot of games. They could not run a ball control offense to kill clock. Relying on a passing game for everything turned them into a one trick pony.

Interesting little footnote is that Richard Smith (also a former Texans DC) was on that 35-3 Oilers staff. And he was the DC for the Falcons that just gave up a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl last January. Dude is a back luck charm.

This is something I've mentioned, as well. I won't argue Moon in the HoF, but he simply cannot be considered equals to guys like Montana, Elway, etc. They would never have let a 33 point lead get away in a playoff game.

Interesting point about the Oilers. Just took a look at their schedule, and they had already lost to the Steelers and Dolphins that season.

That team was built to score a lot of points, but not necessarily win a lot of games. They could not run a ball control offense to kill clock. Relying on a passing game for everything turned them into a one trick pony.

The Run and Shoot Yourself in the Foot..............

Back