Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

The following piece is the best glimpse into Watson's personal mindset I've seen - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858342-deshaun-watson-has-no-off-switch

He's not into the blame game. He wants to know what HE can do better to win each game. Casting aspersions at O'Brien (or anyone else for that matter) just isn't in his nature.

Most guys like him don't make it to that level without having that mindset. They're always gonna think they are the biggest difference between a win & a loss. They only see what they didn't do right in a defeat, not what their opponent did to them to cause the mistake or how a coach seemingly is holding them back. Still doesn't mean that they would defend someone or go over & above to answer a seemingly straight forward question like he did.

Again, its not whether or not he would've cast aspersions at O'Brien...we all agree that's not in his nature. Its how far above he went to seemingly defend him. That tells me, there's more to the story than just what we think we see on Sundays. Perhaps all this changes next year & DW4 pulls an LBJ & starts throwing subliminal shots at BoB in the press. But right now, it's pretty clear, he still rides for BoB & where he's trying to take this team. & just judging on the other players' veritable silence in that locker room, they do too.

The following piece is the best glimpse into Watson's personal mindset I've seen - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858342-deshaun-watson-has-no-off-switch

He's not into the blame game. He wants to know what HE can do better to win each game. Casting aspersions at O'Brien (or anyone else for that matter) just isn't in his nature.

Loved this part from that article:

Yet Watson never bemoans the reality that he does not have a cushy offensive setup like Mahomes. Instead, he lights up at the mere mention of O'Brien, replaying his predraft visit to Houston with the glow of a Tinder date that led to marriage. There O'Brien was, at the board, teaching him Gun Trips Right 64 Special H Sneak and how to run the play against different defenses. O'Brien's staff then left the room for 15 minutes, returned and erased the board. Not only did Watson teach it back, but he also flipped it. He intentionally drew the play up to the opposite side O'Brien had taught.

Then, he smirked at O'Brien.

"He looked at me," Watson recalls, "and said, 'Did you f-----g smirk at me?' I said, 'Yeah, I did.' They all started laughing."

Says O'Brien, "The intelligence and the memory and the poise. It's not easy to come into a room as a young quarterback who hasn't played pro football and you're in the room with the head coach and an offensive staff of an NFL team."

It was love at first sight. And it's still love. O'Brien reels off all the ways Watson reminds him of Tom Brady, whom he worked with for five seasons: "Passion for the game, preparation for the game, the way that they think the game." Granted, O'Brien and Brady routinely blew up at each other—probably, he reasons, because they're both Irish. Watson is more of a "calming presence."

Personality-wise, the two balance each other perfectly.

Finding a balance on the field is another story.

As O'Brien deadpans, it's not like anybody here wants Watson to take hits, but Watson has a style of play that is "very unique" and that he is "very competitive." So hits are inevitable. O'Brien blamed his O-line for only one of those six sacks against Carolina. (Translation: His QB needs to throw it away.) Such is the elusive fine line between giving up on a play and creating.

In truth, O'Brien has no clue if that balance even exists.

"I'll be honest with you," O'Brien says. "I don't know. I think it's more up to him. You point it out to him, and he knows how long he can hold on to the ball. And he knows how the play is designed. So I think as he gets more and more experience, he'll learn over time that he probably has to get rid of it a little quicker. At times."

Ultimately, Watson needs that ball in his hands. It's how he creates, how he jukes, spins, dances and ducks before rifling a 50-yard spiral on a rope a split second before getting suplexed into the turf. This innate feel, this sixth-sense ability to resuscitate a play over and over again before pulling your heart out is once-in-a-generation.

I guess I just see it quite differently. In all of his throws, he only managed to successfully complete THREE throws. (Also, if we were counting/comparing how many yellow borders the other QBs hit, his performance would have been even further diminished.)

Eh - like I said, for the most part, I am agreeing with you - just don't think it's a big enough difference to be embarrassing - he performed the worst (but threw no int's) for sure but too small of a sample size to read that much into it.

Wilson:
17 throws
2 - 5 pointers
4 - 3 pointers
2 - interceptions (-3 each)
so 6 of 17 - 35%

Jackson:
15 throws
4 - 3 pointers
4 of 15 (27%)

Cousins:
18 throws
4 - 3 pointers
1 - 1 pointer (that they mistakenly counted as 3 points in his total score)
1 - interception (-3)
5 or 18 (28%)

Watson:
17 throws
3 - 3 pointers
3 or 17 (18%)

Did you miss the ProBowl's "Threading the Needle" competition.........his lack of "accuracy" was down right embarrassing.

I wonder how many takes the Watson / HEB garbage bag commercial required?:thinking:

I really don't think a lot of fans understand the concept of accuracy …. They think "in the neighborhood" is being accurate just because its "catchable" ….There's a huge difference between in the neighborhood and pinpoint accurate - only your guy can get it / leading him away from the defender / what he can do with it after the catch.

Anyone who was here during that draft knows accuracy was one of my biggest issues with Watson … and its held true to this day. Yep , its in the vicinity ….

I agree that accuracy is an issue for Watson, there is a lot of difference between hitting a 6 foot man and putting it through a tire. I don’t put much stock in the pro bowl thread the needle because you had two pro bowl defenders that didn’t have to fight a receiver for it they just had to touch the ball. The only targets you could realistically aim for were those two “3” on the sides and if the defenders had cared at all they could have stopped every pass.

That said I was a bit bothered by how many yellow lines Watson hit where if it was just a couple of inches over it would have gone in. In most cases that’s not an issue because a receiver can make that catch but when you have to throw guys open or hit a very small window those inches make a difference.

Really though this wouldn’t be an issue if the scheme was more designed around a duel threat with a decent arm instead of a pocket passer with a good to great arm. Watson isn’t fixing many of his issues, the blitz being the exception, but OB isn’t changing his calling to cover for those issues.

Belichick and Payton never asked Brady or Brees to win it on their legs, Harbough doesn’t ask Jackson to win it with his arm nor did Riverboat ask Cam to. Only two coaches with any form of success in the current NFL that ask their QBs to be what the scheme requires them to be are OB and Reid. It’s why Reid couldn’t make it work with Smith but why guys like Hoyer and even Osweiler had their best seasons under OB. The QB either did or did not fit the scheme.

We are seeing the reverse now, Reid has the QB that fits his scheme and OB does not. This is what happens when a HC and a GM are in fighting and can’t get on the same page.

I'm normally with you CnD (and "kinda" am still with you here, but not completely)...

I wouldn't say it was downright embarrassing he scored 9, and two of the other guys Lamar and the other QB forgot who scored 12 and the highest was Wilson at 16. So he hits one more '3 pointer' and it was a three-way tie, which I think shows the difficulty of the challenge.

Like I said, while I don't consider it downright embarrassing - I think it does show DW's 'almost there' accuracy - e.g. several of the throws hit the yellow highlight stripe, so he almost got it there.

Which is where he needs improvement (if it can be improved). He will hit Hop close enough and Hop will catch it, but it's on his back shoulder when it should have been in front of him and led the receiver, etc. Shows up as a completion, leading to a high completion % but put it on the front shoulder and it would have been a 1st down instead of 3rd and short to go (hypothetical here).

Hopefully, it is a footwork or mechanic issue that can be correct and not just a 'he's as accurate as he'll ever get' (maybe his lazy eyelid?).

I still think you can win with a guy who is 'almost accurate' but you probably have to change your playbook some, maybe more comeback routes where you aren't trying to hit a guy in stride (except on short slants which I think DW does really well, but we don't run it much).

Dunno - how I saw the competition go, and how I currently see DW - just my opinion we all have one.

The bold was my critique from before the draft for the most part.

I don't think its a footwork issue - Watson's footwork is stellar …. and probably not the lazy eyelid ….

It seems to be different things at different times - like changes in velocity that affect where the ball ends up in relation to the target.

I really haven't been able to put my finger on any mechanical or technical issue that can be fixed.

Loved this part from that article:

Yet Watson never bemoans the reality that he does not have a cushy offensive setup like Mahomes. Instead, he lights up at the mere mention of O'Brien, replaying his predraft visit to Houston with the glow of a Tinder date that led to marriage. There O'Brien was, at the board, teaching him Gun Trips Right 64 Special H Sneak and how to run the play against different defenses. O'Brien's staff then left the room for 15 minutes, returned and erased the board. Not only did Watson teach it back, but he also flipped it. He intentionally drew the play up to the opposite side O'Brien had taught.

Then, he smirked at O'Brien.

"He looked at me," Watson recalls, "and said, 'Did you f-----g smirk at me?' I said, 'Yeah, I did.' They all started laughing."

Says O'Brien, "The intelligence and the memory and the poise. It's not easy to come into a room as a young quarterback who hasn't played pro football and you're in the room with the head coach and an offensive staff of an NFL team."

It was love at first sight. And it's still love. O'Brien reels off all the ways Watson reminds him of Tom Brady, whom he worked with for five seasons: "Passion for the game, preparation for the game, the way that they think the game." Granted, O'Brien and Brady routinely blew up at each other—probably, he reasons, because they're both Irish. Watson is more of a "calming presence."

Personality-wise, the two balance each other perfectly.

Finding a balance on the field is another story.

As O'Brien deadpans, it's not like anybody here wants Watson to take hits, but Watson has a style of play that is "very unique" and that he is "very competitive." So hits are inevitable. O'Brien blamed his O-line for only one of those six sacks against Carolina. (Translation: His QB needs to throw it away.) Such is the elusive fine line between giving up on a play and creating.

In truth, O'Brien has no clue if that balance even exists.

"I'll be honest with you," O'Brien says. "I don't know. I think it's more up to him. You point it out to him, and he knows how long he can hold on to the ball. And he knows how the play is designed. So I think as he gets more and more experience, he'll learn over time that he probably has to get rid of it a little quicker. At times."

Ultimately, Watson needs that ball in his hands. It's how he creates, how he jukes, spins, dances and ducks before rifling a 50-yard spiral on a rope a split second before getting suplexed into the turf. This innate feel, this sixth-sense ability to resuscitate a play over and over again before pulling your heart out is once-in-a-generation.

This quote of OB is telling me …. this offense being a train wreck isn't just on OB but that Watson is part of the problem of the "Boom or Bust" nature we have seen and why those rush 4 / drop 7 defenses are working.
Watson holding the ball longer than he has to is making life harder than it should be ….

Take the completion , move the chains , live to play another down. Not every play has to be a big one.

I really don't think a lot of fans understand the concept of accuracy …. They think "in the neighborhood" is being accurate just because its "catchable" ….There's a huge difference between in the neighborhood and pinpoint accurate - only your guy can get it / leading him away from the defender / what he can do with it after the catch.

Anyone who was here during that draft knows accuracy was one of my biggest issues with Watson … and its held true to this day. Yep , its in the vicinity ….

What you're explaining as accuracy I've always called ball placement. Those things you mentioned show the QBs understanding of ball placement.

Most fans believe accuracy to be that which can be (& has been) judged by completion percentage since the beginning of time.

What you're explaining as accuracy I've always called ball placement. Those things you mentioned show the QBs understanding of ball placement.

Most fans believe accuracy to be that which can be (& has been) judged by completion percentage since the beginning of time.

Call it what you want , its all music to me …. This might be his second biggest flaw.

9. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS

Watson continues to light up the highlight reels, but the week-to-week consistency still needs work. For the second straight year, Watson had six games that earned an 80.0-plus grade, and those are the games in which he looks like an MVP candidate capable of carrying a team. However, he also had three games that graded under 50.0, and those games usually involve poor ball security and taking too many sacks. Watson ranked among the league’s best in big-time throws once again, but in order to take the next step as a true MVP candidate, he must cut down on the faults that have plagued him to low game grades in the past. It’s a difficult balance, as Watson’s high-risk, high-reward style pays off more often than not, but it’s still leading to too many games in which his poor play is too much for Houston to overcome.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-quarterbacks-ahead-of-super-bowl-liv?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b035d087df-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_28_QB_ranks012820&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-b035d087df-217063829
On top 5 PFF says no. They rank him at #9 in the league right now.
They've got Wilson, Mahomes,Brees, Rogers, & Stafford ahead of him which I buy.
On the other hand I don't see Jackson, Cousins, & Tannehill as superior to Watson while PFF does.
Like PFF say, it's all about his consistency.

This is what I've been trying to tell you guys

The bold was my critique from before the draft for the most part.

I don't think its a footwork issue - Watson's footwork is stellar …. and probably not the lazy eyelid ….

It seems to be different things at different times - like changes in velocity that affect where the ball ends up in relation to the target.

I really haven't been able to put my finger on any mechanical or technical issue that can be fixed.

This is what I've been saying, accuracy/anticipation is either something you have or you don't.

This quote of OB is telling me …. this offense being a train wreck isn't just on OB but that Watson is part of the problem of the "Boom or Bust" nature we have seen and why those rush 4 / drop 7 defenses are working.
Watson holding the ball longer than he has to is making life harder than it should be ….

Take the completion , move the chains , live to play another down. Not every play has to be a big one.

He needs to learn this. To learn this he will have to change the way he has played his whole life. Can he do this? Yes

Will he do this? Very few have been able to change.

This is some comical stuff on here. The probowl. Wow the level people stoops to when pushing their agenda.

What agenda, even if everyone on this board wanted Watson traded it would no more happen than if everyone on this board wanted OB fired. What you are calling agenda you may mean narrative which yes there are certain narratives. The narrative in this case is that Watson can hit a receiver but he is not accurate enough to throw into a tight window or throw a receiver open consistently. However, rather than just dismissing it as "comical" if you disagree with it then present a counter argument. If you think Watson is a dead eye thrower that could knock a fly out of the air, or at least put it through a tire 30 yards away, then present some evidence of this. That's what a discussion is suppose to be about.

Have you sought medical advice? You are going to pop a blood vessel man - seems a lot of overreaction for some light-hearted conversation/observations from a trivial pro-bowl event.

No one on this forum can discuss anything DW related without your permission and extreme overreactions? I don't hate DW or think he sucks or said we can't win with him. But with him, like any player - I can see what I see and discuss my opinion maybe even read a disagreeing opinion and perhaps even change my mind on that opinion.

All I'm tired of is you and the other posters like you who's only contributions to the forum seem to be the aforementioned overreactions and attempt to pigeonhole anyone that doesn't jump on your bandwagon as some kind of hater.

You put any qb in that trash drill at the pro bowl and they don't fair much better imo. We're splitting hairs here though. He's not Drew Brees accurate, but he's accurate enough. I've seen him thread it enough times in-game to be comfortable with his accuracy. Needs a little bit more improvement with his anticipatory throws, but not all throws require that & usually that improves with improved trust in who you're throwing to. Nuk & Fuller - no issues........ However, he did have minor problems with it at times with Stills & Duke...mostly Duke..which can kind of explain why Duke wasn't as targeted in the pass game as some think he should've been.

People need to understand that the kid grew up idolizing Micheal Vick...& you can see that in his game mostly when he holds on to the ball a bit too long for some of our liking. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but if he's going to do that, he needs to either learn to work the pocket much better ala TB12..the king of that ****...or he needs to be much more decisive in taking off to run. Big Ben, Steve McNair...some guys, that's just how they play & where BoB has been smart is not really trying to curtail that part of his game. He wouldn't be the same guy if BoB made him do that.

You put any qb in that trash drill at the pro bowl and they don't fair much better imo. We're splitting hairs here though. He's not Drew Brees accurate, but he's accurate enough. I've seen him thread it enough times in-game to be comfortable with his accuracy. Needs a little bit more improvement with his anticipatory throws, but not all throws require that & usually that improves with improved trust in who you're throwing to. Nuk & Fuller - no issues........ However, he did have minor problems with it at times with Stills & Duke...mostly Duke..which can kind of explain why Duke wasn't as targeted in the pass game as some think he should've been.

People need to understand that the kid grew up idolizing Micheal Vick...& you can see that in his game mostly when he holds on to the ball a bit too long for some of our liking. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but if he's going to do that, he needs to either learn to work the pocket much better ala TB12..the king of that ****...or he needs to be much more decisive in taking off to run. Big Ben, Steve McNair...some guys, that's just how they play & where BoB has been smart is not really trying to curtail that part of his game. He wouldn't be the same guy if BoB made him do that.

As far as what to do when on the move, he just needs to become Russel Wilson. That's the highest standard of scrambling IQ from a dual threat type QB. Russel has very good timing of when to run and how much space he needs to get to certain distances where he can avoid collisions or even hits at all. Russel simply avoids getting hit period on a lot of scrambles. I'm not saying that Russel is the fastest ever or the best runner, but he is definitely the wisest and most instinctual when it comes to positive plays and avoiding hits while doing it.

How many Lombardi's did Vick win?

Does DW4 run in the 4.2's like Vick?

Patterning your game after Vick says a lot about DW4.

How many Lombardi's did Vick win?

Does DW4 run in the 4.2's like Vick?

Patterning your game after Vick says a lot about DW4.

Didn’t say Vick was the only guy’s game he liked.

So It doesnt say anything other than he liked Vick as a player growing up for whatever reason. Lots of guys did. Maybe he saw that his skill set is more similar to Vick’s more than any other qbs at the time...maybe he liked Vick’s penchant for the big play...

In any event he’s light years better than Vick as a passer at the same respective points in each of their careers.

I don't agree with that. A lot of times it's about knowing & trusting the guy you're throwing it to.

Schaub knew he had to put the ball in Jacoby's breadbasket or it was a wasted throw. OD had a much bigger window.

Are you saying he doesn't have accuracy/anticipation issues? If so, maybe you should go back and rewatch the last 5 games of the season.

Are you saying he doesn't have accuracy/anticipation issues? If so, maybe you should go back and rewatch the last 5 games of the season.

I'd have to know what he was aiming at to know how consistently/inconsistently he hit or missed his target.

PFF Rankings: The NFL's top quarterbacks heading into Super Bowl LIV

BY STEVE PALAZZOLO

It’s PFF QB Annual season, a culmination of the very best quarterback breakdowns from the depths of the PFF database. The annual features a regular-season recap of 36 quarterbacks, all featured here, and we’ve added one key stat per signal-caller that is found within the guide. The quarterbacks are ranked by their current PFF grade through the first three weeks of the playoffs, and of course, the PFF grading system isolates the play of each quarterback on every play during the season. Here’s a look at the top quarterbacks in the NFL in 2019 as ordered by PFF grade.

1. RUSSELL WILSON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
The highest-graded passer with at least 300 attempts, Wilson had a spectacular season attacking down the field with his usual array of big-time throws while limiting turnover-worthy plays at the best rate of his career. As the season progressed, Wilson’s raw stats took a hit, but it was more due to what was happening around him rather than his throw-for-throw performance. He still takes too many sacks, including 14 that we directly charged his way, but Wilson is the catalyst to the Seattle offense, despite their desire to build a run-first attack. Throughout his career, Wilson has had many games in which he looked like a top-three quarterback but also a bevy of outings in which he was way off his game. In 2019, he posted the highest grade of his career, and for the first time, posted just one game grade that came in under 60.0.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Wilson finished with the No. 3 PFF grade from a clean pocket and he also ranked third under pressure.

2. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Mahomes battled injuries from the get-go as he fought through an ankle injury starting in Week 1 and eventually missed some time with a knee injury. While the Chiefs' offense is still one of the most explosive units in the league, Mahomes took a slight step back from his 2018 MVP campaign. As tantalizing as Mahomes’ highlight reel is, perhaps most impressive in 2018 was that he rarely missed throws. In 2019, though, he saw a four-percentage point increase in negatively graded throws. Part of the regression may be chalked up to injuries, but regardless, Mahomes' talent and the Chiefs' system make up a dangerous offense. He is still more than capable of taking over games and moving the ball down the field in a hurry.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Fifty-nine percent of Mahomes’ targeted attempts were considered “open,” seven percentage points higher than the league average.

3. DREW BREES, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
A thumb injury cost Brees a chunk of the season, but he once again showed that he could spread the ball around accurately while consistently making good decisions. Brees earned his second straight 90.0-plus grade, avoiding negatives better than any other quarterback in the league. He did see a downtick in his big-time throws, and despite strong stats in the last two games of the season, he forced multiple passes down the field that should have been intercepted but didn’t show up on the stat sheet. That’s the big question moving forward, as Brees still has the ability to lead an offense with his quick decision making and accuracy, but the downfield passing game was inconsistent this season. As such, there are concerns about Brees’ age and if he’ll be limited in the next year or two.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Brees ranked just 29th in big-time throw percentage, but he was fifth-best at avoiding turnover-worthy plays.

4. RYAN TANNEHILL, TENNESSEE TITANS
In one of the biggest breakout seasons in history, Tannehill became one of the league’s best passers, dominating at all levels of the field. He more than doubled his percentage of positively graded throws from a year ago, which is a ridiculous feat, even in small sample sizes. Tannehill was accurate to all levels of the field and was the league’s best on 10-plus yard throws. His career year led the Titans to the No. 2 passing attack in EPA from the time he took over as starter through the end of the season. While Tannehill had settled in as a mid-tier starter in his first five years in the league, he was the league’s lowest-graded starter in 2018 before posting the top grade in 2019, the biggest one-season increase in the PFF era. His 2019 campaign was special, and it's one that will be difficult to duplicate.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Tannehill finished with the highest PFF grade from a clean pocket during the regular season.
© Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports5. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS
Outside of Tannehill, Jackson made the league's biggest stride as a passer, as he improved from a second-to-last ranking in catchable pass rate to 15th. The Ravens have built a perfect system to take advantage of Jackson’s unique skill set, and he subsequently led the league with 776 yards on designed runs and another 430 on scrambles. But it was Jackson’s improvement as a passer that turned the offense into the league’s best during the regular season. The threat Jackson presents as a runner creates better pass-blocking situations while also putting defenders’ heads on a swivel when trying to find the ball in the designed run game. It all adds up to an efficient run game and more open throws in the passing game. Jackson also cut down on his turnover-worthy plays, which is even more impressive given how often he handles the ball.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Jackson worked to his “next” read (second side of the field) 18% of the time, five percentage points higher than the league average. His 0.025 EPA per play was well above the league average of -0.06.

6. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
After a slow start to the season and one of the worst games of his career in Week 2 against the Packers, Cousins turned things around to put together the best performance of his career and his second top-10 finish in PFF grading. He took to the Vikings’ outside zone/play action-heavy scheme, working well both inside and outside the pocket. Cousins was incredibly accurate at the intermediate (10 to 19 yards downfield) level, and he cut down on his turnover-worthy plays. The biggest improvement this season was his increase of 3.8 percentage points in positively graded throw rate, the third-highest mark in the NFL, and that's a credit to the system and supporting cast in Minnesota, even with their injury woes. Overall, it was a strong second season for Cousins, who improved his game and came through in big spots over the course of the year.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Cousins finished with the No. 4 PFF grade from a clean pocket, but he ranked just 23rd under pressure.

7. AARON RODGERS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
One of the biggest offseason questions centered around Rodgers playing in a new system, and even with a 13-3 record and first-round bye, Rodgers didn’t exactly answer those questions with flying colors. He finished with a solid grade but also had multiple poor games, and he even produced the lowest-graded outing of his career in Week 12. There’s no denying Rodgers’ talent — and he’s still one of the league’s best at hitting big-time throws and avoiding turnover-worthy plays — but the thing that has made Rodgers one of the best quarterbacks of all time is his ability to hit the “easy” throws and avoid negative plays. Those elements of his game have taken a step back in recent years, and that trend has now stretched across multiple systems. Perhaps Rodgers can get back to his top-three self, but he’ll have to improve his short and intermediate accuracy while cutting down on the pressure that he’s invited in recent years.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Rodgers had the 18th-best PFF grade from a clean pocket, but he ranked sixth when under pressure.

8. MATTHEW STAFFORD, DETROIT LIONS
In one of the biggest single-year transformations in recent memory, Stafford briefly returned to his best in 2019 before he lost his season due to injury. Stafford increased his average depth of target by over four yards per attempt, a massive improvement in offensive aggressiveness that led to the most efficient year of his career and the league’s highest percentage of big-time throws. He also saw the biggest jump in the percentage of positively graded throws outside of Ryan Tannehill, which led to the league’s sixth-most efficient passing attack while Stafford was on the field. He had fallen into more of a game manager mode in recent seasons, but Stafford and the Lions embraced a high-risk, high-reward style that led to more explosive plays but also a few more misses down the field. And if they continue down that path, the payout could be massive.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Twenty-seven percent of Stafford’s targets were into tight windows, eight percentage points higher than the league average.

Watson continues to light up the highlight reels, but the week-to-week consistency still needs work. For the second straight year, Watson had six games that earned an 80.0-plus grade, and those are the games in which he looks like an MVP candidate capable of carrying a team. However, he also had three games that graded under 50.0, and those games usually involve poor ball security and taking too many sacks. Watson ranked among the league’s best in big-time throws once again, but in order to take the next step as a true MVP candidate, he must cut down on the faults that have plagued him to low game grades in the past. It’s a difficult balance, as Watson’s high-risk, high-reward style pays off more often than not, but it’s still leading to too many games in which his poor play is too much for Houston to overcome.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Watson averaged 0.17 EPA per play on scramble-drill passes, well above the league average of 0.02.

10. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
Prescott had his most productive season since his rookie year, as fresh play-calling and a full year of strong playmakers led to Dallas ranking third in the league with an EPA of 0.23 on passing plays. Prescott ranked among the middle class of quarterbacks in PFF grading in 2017 and 2018, and his 2019 campaign showed that the right supporting cast could lead to high-end production from mid-tier signal-callers. Prescott attacked down the field more than ever, leading to his No. 3 ranking in the league in passing yards on 20-plus yard throws, and he finished fourth in PFF rushing grade at 76.2. Overall, it was a good season for Prescott, who improved his positively graded throws, cut down on the negatives and showed that he could have a top-notch season when given a strong group of receivers.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Prescott averaged 0.26 EPA per dropback on “first read” throws, well above the league average of 0.07.

11. DEREK CARR, OAKLAND RAIDERS
It was a good season for Carr, who finished with the second-best PFF grade of his career. He ranked among the league’s best in accuracy and avoiding negatives while also doing a fine job of taking care of the ball despite a group of pass-catchers that was one of the biggest question marks in the league. Carr is more than capable of attacking down the field, but whether it’s the system, lack of playmakers or simply a conservative nature, Carr finished with the third-lowest average depth of target in the league (6.9). Even in games that saw the Raiders fall behind early, Carr rarely pushed the ball down the field. He has the velocity, touch and accuracy to create big plays, but Carr has profiled as more of a game manager in recent years. Perhaps an influx of playmakers can unlock the potential that he flashed in his highest-graded season in 2016.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Carr had the second-lowest percentage of negatively graded throws, but he finished just 27th in big-time throw percentage.

THE REST OF THE STORY

BY STEVE PALAZZOLO

It’s PFF QB Annual season, a culmination of the very best quarterback breakdowns from the depths of the PFF database. The annual features a regular-season recap of 36 quarterbacks, all featured here, and we’ve added one key stat per signal-caller that is found within the guide. The quarterbacks are ranked by their current PFF grade through the first three weeks of the playoffs, and of course, the PFF grading system isolates the play of each quarterback on every play during the season. Here’s a look at the top quarterbacks in the NFL in 2019 as ordered by PFF grade.

The highest-graded passer with at least 300 attempts, Wilson had a spectacular season attacking down the field with his usual array of big-time throws while limiting turnover-worthy plays at the best rate of his career. As the season progressed, Wilson’s raw stats took a hit, but it was more due to what was happening around him rather than his throw-for-throw performance. He still takes too many sacks, including 14 that we directly charged his way, but Wilson is the catalyst to the Seattle offense, despite their desire to build a run-first attack. Throughout his career, Wilson has had many games in which he looked like a top-three quarterback but also a bevy of outings in which he was way off his game. In 2019, he posted the highest grade of his career, and for the first time, posted just one game grade that came in under 60.0.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Wilson finished with the No. 3 PFF grade from a clean pocket and he also ranked third under pressure.

Mahomes battled injuries from the get-go as he fought through an ankle injury starting in Week 1 and eventually missed some time with a knee injury. While the Chiefs' offense is still one of the most explosive units in the league, Mahomes took a slight step back from his 2018 MVP campaign. As tantalizing as Mahomes’ highlight reel is, perhaps most impressive in 2018 was that he rarely missed throws. In 2019, though, he saw a four-percentage point increase in negatively graded throws. Part of the regression may be chalked up to injuries, but regardless, Mahomes' talent and the Chiefs' system make up a dangerous offense. He is still more than capable of taking over games and moving the ball down the field in a hurry.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Fifty-nine percent of Mahomes’ targeted attempts were considered “open,” seven percentage points higher than the league average.

A thumb injury cost Brees a chunk of the season, but he once again showed that he could spread the ball around accurately while consistently making good decisions. Brees earned his second straight 90.0-plus grade, avoiding negatives better than any other quarterback in the league. He did see a downtick in his big-time throws, and despite strong stats in the last two games of the season, he forced multiple passes down the field that should have been intercepted but didn’t show up on the stat sheet. That’s the big question moving forward, as Brees still has the ability to lead an offense with his quick decision making and accuracy, but the downfield passing game was inconsistent this season. As such, there are concerns about Brees’ age and if he’ll be limited in the next year or two.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Brees ranked just 29th in big-time throw percentage, but he was fifth-best at avoiding turnover-worthy plays.

In one of the biggest breakout seasons in history, Tannehill became one of the league’s best passers, dominating at all levels of the field. He more than doubled his percentage of positively graded throws from a year ago, which is a ridiculous feat, even in small sample sizes. Tannehill was accurate to all levels of the field and was the league’s best on 10-plus yard throws. His career year led the Titans to the No. 2 passing attack in EPA from the time he took over as starter through the end of the season. While Tannehill had settled in as a mid-tier starter in his first five years in the league, he was the league’s lowest-graded starter in 2018 before posting the top grade in 2019, the biggest one-season increase in the PFF era. His 2019 campaign was special, and it's one that will be difficult to duplicate.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Tannehill finished with the highest PFF grade from a clean pocket during the regular season.
Outside of Tannehill, Jackson made the league's biggest stride as a passer, as he improved from a second-to-last ranking in catchable pass rate to 15th. The Ravens have built a perfect system to take advantage of Jackson’s unique skill set, and he subsequently led the league with 776 yards on designed runs and another 430 on scrambles. But it was Jackson’s improvement as a passer that turned the offense into the league’s best during the regular season. The threat Jackson presents as a runner creates better pass-blocking situations while also putting defenders’ heads on a swivel when trying to find the ball in the designed run game. It all adds up to an efficient run game and more open throws in the passing game. Jackson also cut down on his turnover-worthy plays, which is even more impressive given how often he handles the ball.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Jackson worked to his “next” read (second side of the field) 18% of the time, five percentage points higher than the league average. His 0.025 EPA per play was well above the league average of -0.06.

After a slow start to the season and one of the worst games of his career in Week 2 against the Packers, Cousins turned things around to put together the best performance of his career and his second top-10 finish in PFF grading. He took to the Vikings’ outside zone/play action-heavy scheme, working well both inside and outside the pocket. Cousins was incredibly accurate at the intermediate (10 to 19 yards downfield) level, and he cut down on his turnover-worthy plays. The biggest improvement this season was his increase of 3.8 percentage points in positively graded throw rate, the third-highest mark in the NFL, and that's a credit to the system and supporting cast in Minnesota, even with their injury woes. Overall, it was a strong second season for Cousins, who improved his game and came through in big spots over the course of the year.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Cousins finished with the No. 4 PFF grade from a clean pocket, but he ranked just 23rd under pressure.

One of the biggest offseason questions centered around Rodgers playing in a new system, and even with a 13-3 record and first-round bye, Rodgers didn’t exactly answer those questions with flying colors. He finished with a solid grade but also had multiple poor games, and he even produced the lowest-graded outing of his career in Week 12. There’s no denying Rodgers’ talent — and he’s still one of the league’s best at hitting big-time throws and avoiding turnover-worthy plays — but the thing that has made Rodgers one of the best quarterbacks of all time is his ability to hit the “easy” throws and avoid negative plays. Those elements of his game have taken a step back in recent years, and that trend has now stretched across multiple systems. Perhaps Rodgers can get back to his top-three self, but he’ll have to improve his short and intermediate accuracy while cutting down on the pressure that he’s invited in recent years.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Rodgers had the 18th-best PFF grade from a clean pocket, but he ranked sixth when under pressure.

In one of the biggest single-year transformations in recent memory, Stafford briefly returned to his best in 2019 before he lost his season due to injury. Stafford increased his average depth of target by over four yards per attempt, a massive improvement in offensive aggressiveness that led to the most efficient year of his career and the league’s highest percentage of big-time throws. He also saw the biggest jump in the percentage of positively graded throws outside of Ryan Tannehill, which led to the league’s sixth-most efficient passing attack while Stafford was on the field. He had fallen into more of a game manager mode in recent seasons, but Stafford and the Lions embraced a high-risk, high-reward style that led to more explosive plays but also a few more misses down the field. And if they continue down that path, the payout could be massive.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Twenty-seven percent of Stafford’s targets were into tight windows, eight percentage points higher than the league average.

Key Stat from QB Annual: Watson averaged 0.17 EPA per play on scramble-drill passes, well above the league average of 0.02.

Prescott had his most productive season since his rookie year, as fresh play-calling and a full year of strong playmakers led to Dallas ranking third in the league with an EPA of 0.23 on passing plays. Prescott ranked among the middle class of quarterbacks in PFF grading in 2017 and 2018, and his 2019 campaign showed that the right supporting cast could lead to high-end production from mid-tier signal-callers. Prescott attacked down the field more than ever, leading to his No. 3 ranking in the league in passing yards on 20-plus yard throws, and he finished fourth in PFF rushing grade at 76.2. Overall, it was a good season for Prescott, who improved his positively graded throws, cut down on the negatives and showed that he could have a top-notch season when given a strong group of receivers.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Prescott averaged 0.26 EPA per dropback on “first read” throws, well above the league average of 0.07.

It was a good season for Carr, who finished with the second-best PFF grade of his career. He ranked among the league’s best in accuracy and avoiding negatives while also doing a fine job of taking care of the ball despite a group of pass-catchers that was one of the biggest question marks in the league. Carr is more than capable of attacking down the field, but whether it’s the system, lack of playmakers or simply a conservative nature, Carr finished with the third-lowest average depth of target in the league (6.9). Even in games that saw the Raiders fall behind early, Carr rarely pushed the ball down the field. He has the velocity, touch and accuracy to create big plays, but Carr has profiled as more of a game manager in recent years. Perhaps an influx of playmakers can unlock the potential that he flashed in his highest-graded season in 2016.
Key Stat from QB Annual: Carr had the second-lowest percentage of negatively graded throws, but he finished just 27th in big-time throw percentage.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Why is Lamar Jackson not anywhere in there?

BY STEVE PALAZZOLO

THE REST OF THE STORY

I stopped at #4. Can't take them seriously.

I stopped at #4. Can't take them seriously.
I just posted the article for FYI. Most people know my feelings of PFF. As with Martin, they gushed over him throughout the season........then gave him a low grade for the season. They certainly gushed over Watson with their stats throughout the season........then gave him a season's end grade that didn't match.

As I've said many times in the past, people here point to PFF when it serves their purpose...........and the same people ignore or tear down PFF evaluations when they don't.

PFF seems to cater to the schizophrenic audience

Well, after watching Mahomes in the SB, my opinion is just solidified. If you gave Andy Reid the exact same team but with Deshaun Watson at QB, the result would have at least been the same.
I don’t think so. If Watson had started his career with Reid and that KC team, yes, I would agree with you. But from watching Watson in 2019, he behaved like a young quarterback that got hit too much already. He doesn’t have a full-blown case of David Carr but he’s on his way.

Watson deserves better than the Houston Texans. His career will never be what it could have been had he started behind even an average line and good play caller that was flexible with him and his skills. As it is, he was thrown behind a terrible line and a rigid HC/OC.

View attachment 5610

Someone should tell me where is the out

LMAO I'll take a guess - "the tight end is wide open over the middle"??

(to your point it looks like the typical twin deep posts on the short end with the dummy routes on the long. Sadly the line is still so atrocious that you cant send the TE out as a true "hot" .. instead this offense requires the QB to get in tune with the primary/secondary guys in the progression according to coverage and BOTH OF THEM understand what is supposed to happen through the EPs use of code worded concepts. Certain people here lay that at the feet of Watson, but you can go through the film and notice that on at least 75% of the time in blitz beaters and bracket busters that Watson is signaling to the receiver that he was supposed to do 'something else' when the play is ineffective.)

You post a clip of one of the worst clowns in sports media and that is supposed to make it true?

Last I checked all three of those QB's were in the playoffs. Brees had an MVP caliber season, and Rodgers lost in the NFC Championship game, and Brady only lost to the AFC Championship game Titans because their RB couldn't punch it in on the GL which was the difference in their game.

How did any of them go away? That may be what Steven A Smith and folks like yourself want to happen, but it didn't and it still hasn't.

Back