Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Upgrading Offensive Line via Draft

I consider Neal to be the best player in this draft. Well worth pick #3.
He very well could be. He could be a guy you never have to help with. As a run blocker, he's adequate even though I think the NC State guy is a more punishing blocker. Ogden was paid because he was an elite pass blocker. Walter Jones also. I'm not comparing him to them, I'm simply saying his run blocking is good enough because his strong point is pass blocking.

Howard is going to be a very good RT. I'm not so sure about Sharparing, but maybe its the passive scheme they used to play.
Gotta disagree with you here.

We would've seen more in 3 yrs and 2 different OL coaches if Howard was anything more than avg.

Gotta disagree with you here.

We would've seen more in 3 yrs and 2 different OL coaches if Howard was anything more than avg.
He played well when Tunsil was out and looked natural. If the barometer are the 2 ol coaches and Tim Kelly scheme, then Tunsil would be outta here too because he looked avg also. I'm not saying don't draft a oline player high especially if they think he's the one, but if the pass, maybe its because they feel differently about Howard than you and thats ok.

Best way to answer the OP….is to look at the Texans current OL Depth Chart: () UFA Season.

LT: Tunsil (24) / Howard (24) / Ogbuehi (23)
LG: Howard (24) / Scharping (23)
OC: Britt (24) / Morrissey (23) / S. Quessenberry (23)
RG: Cann (24) / McCray (23) / Cooper (24)
RT: Heck (24) / Steckler (23) / Green (24)

This group has the upcoming season to determine if they’ll work in Pep and Warhop’s new power run game. The projected starting (5) could play 2022 and 2023, but I doubt there is anyone within the group that the Texans and Caserio would ink to a long term deal next season or in 2024….unless the team is knocking on the door of the playoffs.

It’ll be interesting as to how much the Texans and Caserio would be willing to invest this season on OL prospects. This is the first phase of the rebuild and if I was weighing out the current starting (5)….I might lean towards the Center being the first priority and a Guard or two to follow, in the event Howard has to play RT.

I don’t really see Caserio and Lovie going offense with the #3 pick. It’s going to be defense unless they find a buyer for the pick. Personally, I’d like to trade down for a couple of late RD1 picks or a decent RD1 - RD2 combo.

If the team could drop back to Seattle’s #9 spot…I wouldn’t mind taking Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa) who’s rated the top Center in the draft. I’d also look at my new target…LG, Lecitus Smith (Virginia Tech), probably in RD3 or RD4. LS is evidently being projected as a monster in the run game. If Howard was to be moved to RT, might be nice to have tough as nails LG to replace him with. I also think Caserio could easily land RT/RG, Andrew Stueber (Michigan) in RD6. Stueber is another run game monster with all the physical traits coveted by Warhop. Stueber could play RG or RT which could help if Cann can’t stay healthy or Heck proves to be a better Swing Tackle than a starter.

On a side note, I’d also be adding RB, Breece Hall (Iowa State) to this list b/c he’s the best RB in this draft and the Texans would easily be in a position to make him a Texan.

Last edited:
Best way to answer the OP….is to look at the Texans current OL Depth Chart: () UFA Season.

LT: Tunsil (24) / Howard (24) / Ogbuehi (23)
LG: Howard (24) / Scharping (23)
OC: Britt (24) / Morrissey (23) / S. Quessenberry (23)
RG: Cann (24) / McCray (23) / Cooper (24)
RT: Heck (24) / Steckler (23) / Green (24)

This group has the upcoming season to determine if they’ll work in Pep and Warhop’s new power run game. The projected starting (5) could play 2022 and 2023, but I doubt there is anyone within the group that the Texans and Caserio would ink to a long term deal next season or in 2024….unless the team is knocking on the door of the playoffs.

It’ll be interesting as to how much the Texans and Caserio would be willing to invest this season on OL prospects. This is the first phase of the rebuild and if I was weighing out the current starting (5)….I might lean towards the Center being the first priority and a Guard or two to follow, in the event Howard has to play RT.

I don’t really see Caserio and Lovie going offense with the #3 pick. It’s going to be defense unless they find a buyer for the pick. Personally, I’d like to trade down for a couple of late RD1 picks or a decent RD1 - RD2 combo.

If the team could drop back to Seattle’s #9 spot…I wouldn’t mind taking Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa) who’s rated the top Center in the draft. I’d also look at my new target…LG, Lecitus Smith (Virginia Tech), probably in RD3 or RD4. LS is evidently being projected as a monster in the run game. If Howard was to be moved to RT, might be nice to have tough as nails LG to replace him with. I also think Caserio could easily land RT/RG, Andrew Stueber (Michigan) in RD6. Stueber is another run game monster with all the physical traits coveted by Warhop. Stueber could play RG or RT which could help if Cann can’t stay healthy or Heck proves to be a better Swing Tackle than a starter.

On a side note, I’d also be adding RB, Breece Hall (Iowa State) to this list b/c he’s the best RB in this draft and the Texans would easily be in a position to make him a Texan.

Linderbaum would easily be the biggest OL improvement but nobody is talking about taking him #13. I get positional value argument but Center is and has been since they let Ben Jones walk (barefoot) out the door and drafted Martin. Britt is a great story but should be a bridge only. It’s really tough call, one I struggle with because you know Linderbaum will be an all pro Center for a long time, it’s just those big game hunting weapons still on board that’s so enticing!

He played well when Tunsil was out and looked natural. If the barometer are the 2 ol coaches and Tim Kelly scheme, then Tunsil would be outta here too because he looked avg also. I'm not saying don't draft a oline player high especially if they think he's the one, but if the pass, maybe its because they feel differently about Howard than you and thats ok.

Very small sample size. Get back to me when Howard has made multiple pro bowls.

True and I'm if Neal isn't the guy at 1-3 then I hope Caserio doesn't draft an OG until the late 2nd/early 3rd and run with Howard/Heck at RT.

Very small sample size. Get back to me when Howard has made multiple pro bowls.

True and I'm if Neal isn't the guy at 1-3 then I hope Caserio doesn't draft an OG until the late 2nd/early 3rd and run with Howard/Heck at RT.
I mean if he's as good as Erick Winston was, wouldn't you consider that pretty good? If he can hold up 1 v 1 without slide protection like he did vs TJ as a rookie, then thats fine. Overrall, I still think getting a guy in the backfield is going to help as much as anything. Instead of rolling all these old rbs out there, get someone with some pop. Cook,White, Hall, there are more than enough runners and differnce makers in this draft. From rd 2 and into the 4th. We see other teams do it except the Texans. James Robinson of Jax was undrafted.

I mean if he's as good as Erick Winston was, wouldn't you consider that pretty good? If he can hold up 1 v 1 without slide protection like he did vs TJ as a rookie, then thats fine. Overrall, I still think getting a guy in the backfield is going to help as much as anything. Instead of rolling all these old rbs out there, get someone with some pop. Cook,White, Hall, there are more than enough runners and differnce makers in this draft. From rd 2 and into the 4th. We see other teams do it except the Texans. James Robinson of Jax was undrafted.

I think Howard is nowhere near the level of run blocker Winston was and never will be. I actually think Howard is on par with what Winston was as a pass blocker, maybe even better than Winston.

Agreed about the RB's, but I dont want Caserio to pick a RB until the 4th rd. I want the high picks if they're spent on the offensive side the ball to be spent on guys like Moore/Salyer/Woods. I mean I know how much you like Cook, I do too. But if I'm given the choice I'm either getting a dynamic WR or a TE that can block and catch rather than a RB.

Tell me for instance and I haven't really checked out Strong vs Cook. I also like Zamir/Rashad White and Harris/Teague/Ingram in the 4-6th rd. These are talented bell cow type guys who split time in college so there's not alot tread wear on the tires.

Last edited:

How many Pro Bowls has Tunsil made in the last 3 yrs? Howard?

I think Howard is nowhere near the level of run blocker Winston was and never will be. I actually think Howard is on par with what Winston was as a pass blocker, maybe even better than Winston.

Agreed about the RB's, but I dont want Caserio to pick a RB until the 4th rd. I want the high pick if they're spent on the offensive side the ball to be spent on guys like Moore/Salyer/Woods. I mean I know how much you like Cook, I do too. But if I'm given the choice I'm either getting a dynamic WR or a TE that can block and catch rather than a RB.

Tell me for instance and I haven't really checked out Strong vs Cook. I also like Zamir/Rashad White and Harris/Teague/Ingram in the 4-6th rd. These are talented bee cow type guys who split time in college so there's not alot tread wear on the tires.
I mean, thats cool, but if they have a high grade on a rb and he's there in the 2nd, take him. Look at Taylor of the Colts,Dobbins. I do see guys like Kamara taken in the 3rd as well as Jones taken in the 4th. No argument from me. People are alot high on Moore than I am. I'd rather get that electric guy outside like Williams and move Cooks around. You know James Cook is my dude as well as Woods of Virginia. They can solve alot of problems on this team.

Agreed about the RB's, but I dont want Caserio to pick a RB until the 4th rd. I want the high picks if they're spent on the offensive side the ball to be spent on guys like Moore/Salyer/Woods. I mean I know how much you like Cook, I do too. But if I'm given the choice I'm either getting a dynamic WR or a TE that can block and catch rather than a RB.

Tell me for instance and I haven't really checked out Strong vs Cook. I also like Zamir/Rashad White and Harris/Teague/Ingram in the 4-6th rd. These are talented bell cow type guys who split time in college so there's not alot tread wear on the tires.
Bell cow who is restricted by down and distance is almost a thing of the past unless your name is Derrick Henry. Just like I prefer 3 down lbs, I like 3 down rbs.

I mean, thats cool, but if they have a high grade on a rb and he's there in the 2nd, take him. Look at Taylor of the Colts,Dobbins. I do see guys like Kamara taken in the 3rd as well as Jones taken in the 4th. No argument from me. People are alot high on Moore than I am. I'd rather get that electric guy outside like Williams and move Cooks around. You know James Cook is my dude as well as Woods of Virginia. They can solve alot of problems on this team.

If you could give me Woods in the 2nd Salyer at 3-68 and 1 of Metchie/Pierce/Austin at 3-80 I'm very happy with this draft.

Imagine if you got lucky, but this isn't out of the question

1-3 Sauce CB
1-13 Stingley
2-37 Williams
3-68 Woods
3-80 Austin
4-107 Ingram
4-108 Pierce

This a possible though unlikely.

Bell cow who is restricted by down and distance is almost a thing of the past unless your name is Derrick Henry. Just like I prefer 3 down lbs, I like 3 down rbs.

I like the way most teams use their RB's. An every down back that can play on 3rd downs, but usually gives way to a 3rd down RB. ou think Cooks is a 3 down RB? I see him as more of a Tony Pollard type RB and there's value in that.

I like the way most teams use their RB's. An every down back that can play on 3rd downs, but usually gives way to a 3rd down RB. ou think Cooks is a 3 down RB? I see him as more of a Tony Pollard type RB and there's value in that.
I think he's more Eckler and Kamara vs Pollard who I think is part of the new NFL

Davis seems to put the ball where the receiver catches it in stride more often than not. His ball placement has been better (already) than any other Texans QB.
I like his calmness in the pocket - he doesn't have happy feet either. If he can get even an extra 1/4 second as well as a nice rushing attack I think he will be good and so will our offense.

I agree on Scharping.

I’m not sold Howard is avg at best. But if he is, the run game should have been better than it was, which points to coaching.

I have no problem improving both guard positions. I just don’t think #3 & #13 is the best spots to do it

For me it's about taking the best player and that is Neal.

It's not about taking an og at #3.

Sharping looked like a solid pick as a rookie, then he was bounced around. Key word from Warhop about OL is “consistency” Texan OL has had none of that. It takes a couple years to gel even with best of talent. No this has been mismanaged for years, y’all will see a change this year I’m sure for the better. No where to go but up. Still need to take bpa that lift both offense and defense.

:koolaid:

Isn't this what some were saying last yr?

The 2 biggest/baddest dudes in this draft.

This would be a game changer in that the tone of physicality would be set as the main building block of this rebuild. The Calhoun's have been a finesse team for far to long.
I would prefer to go OL and CB in the first, and then add someone like Mathew Butler in the later rounds.

I would prefer to go OL and CB in the first, and then add someone like Mathew Butler in the later rounds.

I like Butler, (the guy from Tennessee correct?)

However for me it's not just about this yr. It's about developing and identity.

I've suggested going a totally different way and that's drafting both Gardner and Stingley, then adding a pass rusher like Williams in the 2nd and picking a guy like Butler later. What do you think of this plan?

How late do you think Butler goes?

It wasn't a lost yr if Mills is the real deal and guys like Collins/Lopez keep developing.
I look forward with great interest to watching Mills develop.
Man I hope Texans get it right with this draft and new coaching staff - if Mills can start where he left off last season, it could get interesting.

I've suggested going a totally different way and that's drafting both Gardner and Stingley, then adding a pass rusher like Williams in the 2nd and picking a guy like Butler later. What do you think of this plan?

Both first round picks on corners ?
I dunno I'm confused Steel because I thought you were all about upgrading the Oline where young Mr. Mills would be the biggest beneficiary ?

Great example is Brevin Jordan. Compare him to this years draft TE class, where would he rank? Probably 3rd rounder behind just couple guys like McBride & Dulcich. Very similar player to Likely, lower RAS but higher tape.

Without them it would.

You can say this about any draft.

Did you like Caserio's last draft? If so, you should really be looking forward to the next 3 yrs worth of drafts. Kinda the anti BOB approach to acquiring talent.

Great example is Brevin Jordan. Compare him to this years draft TE class, where would he rank? Probably 3rd rounder behind just couple guys like McBride & Dulcich. Very similar player to Likely, lower RAS but higher tape.

Yep, If Caserio could find a way to add Woods or Dulcich the TE room would look alot better. Of course that means Caserio would have to let Pharoh go and nobody cuts Pharoh's.

Both first round picks on corners ?
I dunno I'm confused Steel because I thought you were all about upgrading the Oline where young Mr. Mills would be the biggest beneficiary ?
I’d love it if they were to do this.

But I also believe only one spot on the OL needs an upgrade. & Cann may be the upgrade. Pass blocking was avg. coaching & more time together may pay dividends. I’m convinced it will.

That upgrade may come in the draft. But I don’t think it needs to be a top 15 pick.

Premier talent at premier positions is what I’m looking for in that top 15.

Stingley & Gardner… our defense may actually score points. Definitely keep opponents from scoring more than the Texans do. & that’s going to help Mills win games.

& that’s what everybody wants

I’m afraid last year, except for the draft, a lost year for this franchise.
That’s what happens when you’re not selecting coaches based on their ability to win.

But I don’t believe it was a lost year. We did find coaches who can coach, & they’re still here. Lovie & most of the defensive coaches & Pep. So we’re not completely starting over.

Nick also found a core of players to build on. Including young players we’re excited to see grow.

Greenard & Blacklock are still young & trending up. So is Howard.

Collins, Lopez, Jordan, & Mills.

Yes Butler out of TN. I think he gets drafted in the 4th, and would pair well with Lopez. I love his motor and work ethic based on the Shrine bowl practice reports and think he’d be a good fit here.

I’d be open to going Gardner/Stingley, but I don’t think either one would last until 13. I don’t want to move up for either one and lose some of our draft capital.

I’d be okay with Williams, but I’d lean more towards Ebiketie, Bonito, or Paschal. We definitely need to add someone opposite Greenard.

Instead of rolling all these old rbs out there, get someone with some pop. Cook,White, Hall, there are more than enough runners and differnce makers in this draft. From rd 2 and into the 4th. We see other teams do it except the Texans. James Robinson of Jax was undrafted.

Foster, Arian

I want the team to dominate in the trenches. If Davis is there at 13 i’m running to the podium and securing the run defense cheat code in a division with two of the top five best RBs in the league.

I’d love it if they were to do this.

But I also believe only one spot on the OL needs an upgrade. & Cann may be the upgrade. Pass blocking was avg. coaching & more time together may pay dividends. I’m convinced it will.

That upgrade may come in the draft. But I don’t think it needs to be a top 15 pick.

Premier talent at premier positions is what I’m looking for in that top 15.

Stingley & Gardner… our defense may actually score points. Definitely keep opponents from scoring more than the Texans do. & that’s going to help Mills win games.

& that’s what everybody wants
I want my top two picks to be OT Charles Cross & Edge Jermaine Johnson, a couple guys who aren't getting near the hype of some others like Evan Neal, Ekwanu, Thibeeaux, & Hutchison.
Now if Caserio wants work in a single corner among the top two or three picks I'm OK with that.

I want the best players. Not necessarily the most players. If you can find a star level player pick him. He's more valuable than multiple players. I'm good with trading down from 13.

When it comes to football I think I would rather have the most good players over a star player. It’s just such a violent high injury sport that counting on star players hardly seems to work out nowadays except at maybe the QB position. If we traded completely out of the first with both picks but picked up say 6 or 7 2nd round picks I think I would be happy with that if you can pick some solid players. I’m talking whole team not just online of course. And realistically 2 or 3 of those players will have performance hindering injuries by playoff time it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just straight up yards and ypg, the Texans were 32nd in both categories in 2021. They scored running the ball 8 times, tied for worst.

I won't be upset if the Texans draft CB, WR, and then RB. The Texans need upgrades almost everywhere anyway. Might as well draft BPA in every round. And that would okay for me.
Sounds to me like they need an O and an L.

When it comes to football I think I would rather have the most good players over a star player. It’s just such a violent high injury sport that counting on star players hardly seems to work out nowadays except at maybe the QB position. If we traded completely out of the first with both picks but picked up say 6 or 7 2nd round picks I think I would be happy with that if you can pick some solid players. I’m talking whole team not just online of course. And realistically 2 or 3 of those players will have performance hindering injuries by playoff time it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Look at the Rams this yr as my rebuttal. You need 4-5 star level players on each side of the ball to win a championship and those usually come from higher picks. They also can come through trades/fa as the Rams have proven. You also need the type of players you're talking about. But those can be gotten rds 3-5 like the Rams have also proven. You can also get these guys as cheap fa signings.

But if you have a chance to get a Donald or a Ramsey you do it and fill in around them.

Back