Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Twitter: Possible trade

Without commenting on the trade rumor itself, Cleveland would be giving up a backup QB (regardless of whether that's true in week one or sometime later) for a very productive receiver who's under contract for three more seasons. In what universe would that not make sense?

Plus, whether you agree with them or not, I'm pretty sure Cleveland's decision-makers view themselves as a 2014 playoff team at a bare minimum (and for the record, I think there's a pretty good chance they're right).

Sorry, probably wasn't awfully clear there - by the third paragraph I was working on the assumption that they'd have to severely sweeten the package (with a 1st rounder) to get AJ away from Houston.

In a straight up Hoyer-Johnson trade, it would be awesome for Cleveland - however we should probably be dedicating a thread to discussing the merits of trading Fitzpatrick for Russel Wilson, so we can get tenture in cloud cuckoo land ;)

That said, after reading that McClain has nixed the rumour - I'm genuinely worried we might be giving away Johnson for the next step up on the trade depth chart from a bag of old practice balls. :kitten:

That is even goofier than all the other goofy ideas mentioned in this thread.

Out of respect for everyone with Norg on their igNORGe list I deleted the Norgy part of the post.

Rep for you. Would quadruple it if I could, Kind Sir.

Just like "The General" said there was "no way" that Schaub, a restricted free agent at the time, could end up with the Texans.

"It's too hard to trade a restricted free agent," he said.

Two weeks later, the Falcons traded Schaub to the Texans.

Eff that give him a 48hr timeout ban!!

I actually rooted against us drafting him. I just wouldve rooted more against Hoyer.

Probably I deserve the punishment though, it's cheaper then buying a new keyboard.

:survivor:

Lots of people talking trade rumors thanks to Sage Rosenfels tweet:

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/499605981094236161

Tweet reads that a big trade could affect two franchises. All of Twitter is rumor of Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer. Thoughts on this? Is this even feasible?
How does this happen? Let's get to the bottom of it.

Sexy Rexy

This all starts with Rex Grossman (doesn't everything though). ESPN's Ed Werder threw a match on the everclear fumes emanating from the dirty polo shirt Grossman was wearing when the Browns reunited Sexy Rexy with Kyle Shanahan.

Rex Grossman has recent history with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan. Wonder if signing makes Brian Hoyer expendable if doesn't beat out @JManziel2?

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) August 12, 2014
Way to go, Ed. You've freaked out the small, but vocal contingent of backers in "Hoyer Country."

Head coach Mike Pettine tried to put out that fire on Tuesday after practice. From ESPN Cleveland:

Some might leap to the conclusion that Grossman's arrival may deem Hoyer expendable through trade (Houston?) if the coaches decide to give the starting job to Manziel. "Absolutely not," Pettine said, firmly.
Rumors resurface

How? This time it was the Kiley & Booms show on local sports talk radio on Wednesday morning. A deejay calling himself Chuck Booms cited a source in Houston Texas, a guy Mr. Booms heard from before the NFL Draft, who told him that Texans head coach "Bill O'Brien has had his sights on Brian Hoyer."

Booms added, via his source, that the Texans would be willing to spend a second-round pick on Hoyer.

Sage knows something

By mid-day Wednesday, Twitter's getting itchy. The Brian Hoyer trade buzz isn't going away. All that fire needs is a little more fuel.

Sage Rosenfels -- remember him? -- stoked the fires with this INSIDERY tweet

Hearing a crazy #NFL rumor. If/when confirmed, it hugely affect two franchises.

— Sage Rosenfels (@SageRosenfels18) August 13, 2014
Here's where Andre Johnson comes in

Uncle Chaps did it.

If you don't know Uncle Chaps, well, you're probably familiar with him since he's a contributor to our Jaguars blog, Big Cat Country. Or maybe you know him from this video. Even if you don't know Chaps, you're definitely familiar with his work after today.

Brian Hoyer to the Texans for Andre Johnson.

— Careless Whisperer (@UncleChaps) August 13, 2014
That's all it took. The **** was stirred. A smoldering rumor about the inexplicably popular Brian Hoyer had the fuel it needed. Excitable boys all over the Internet exploded like napalm, racing to Twitter to tell their friends.

The rumor spreads

From there, the usual suspects picked it up.

V good article here. http://t.co/Zcc1GjkZLJ

— Careless Whisperer (@UncleChaps) August 13, 2014
That article cited Chaps' tweet in a post, which has since been taken down. It didn't matter. More and more people started tweeting about it, as if it were fact, fed by some of the rumor mill's most infamous bottom feeders.

Rumor: Texans have robbed the Browns by trading Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer

— NFL Retweet (@NFLRT) August 13, 2014
Hoyer to Texans makes a bunch of sense ... #Houston needs QB badly

— Incarcerated Bob IBN (@incarceratedbob) August 13, 2014
BREAKING: The #Texans have moved disgruntled WR Andre Johnson to the #Browns for QB Brian Hoyer. More on ESPN.

— Adam Schefter (@AdarnSchefter) August 13, 2014
The AdaRN Schefter bump.

Snuffed out

The media scrambled to reconfirm what had already been confirmed.

For anyone who might be interested: Texans won't be trading for Brian Hoyer. I've seen that one making the rounds.

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) August 13, 2014
There'll be some guy at your fantasy football draft still convinced that something's going to happen; he's one of many who won't let it go no matter how many times it gets shot down.

But that's it. The fire's out. There's probably a moral to this story, but whatever.
More from SBNation.com

From Houston to Cleveland? Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.
When someone says "I want to win, so I'm going to Cleveland" that will be the first time

I'd feel bad for AJ. Even worse than getting thrown to from Fitz

From Houston to Cleveland? Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.
When someone says "I want to win, so I'm going to Cleveland" that will be the first time

I'd feel bad for AJ. Even worse than getting thrown to from Fitz
I thought AJ was hinting at Texans selecting Manziel? Would he not be at least sorta okay going to Browns?
I'd love one of those Cleveland 2015 firsts. Jalen Strong and a QB in first? Browns should want to replace Gordon....

It is completely delusional to continue to throw out all of this 1st round or even 2nd round pick talk for AJ. I have no idea why any of you think that any NFL teams would trade a 1st round pick for a receiver that is close to his mid 30's. That never happens. This trade would totally be ridiculous but so is the idea that any team would throw first round picks around for AJ. They haven't offered squat that was feasible in the last few months And yet some of you still think AJ could be had for a first or a second? Wake the "f" up. That has no chance of happening.

Oh **** :wadepalm: It's guaranteed to happen now!

That's what I was thinking...

AJ will retire a Texan. I will believe this until proven otherwise.

Agreed.

I thought AJ was hinting at Texans selecting Manziel? Would he not be at least sorta okay going to Browns?
I'd love one of those Cleveland 2015 firsts. Jalen Strong and a QB in first? Browns should want to replace Gordon....

When did he ever hint at that? All I ever heard was he thought the Texans should trade the first pick. I honestly think Dre hoped somehow #8 stuck around for at least one more season, but knew in his heart it was not going to happen.

It is completely delusional to continue to throw out all of this 1st round or even 2nd round pick talk for AJ. I have no idea why any of you think that any NFL teams would trade a 1st round pick for a receiver that is close to his mid 30's. That never happens. This trade would totally be ridiculous but so is the idea that any team would throw first round picks around for AJ. They haven't offered squat that was feasible in the last few months And yet some of you still think AJ could be had for a first or a second? Wake the "f" up. That has no chance of happening.
Perhaps the snoring you hear is your own? AJ is 33 not mid 30s. He could have two seasons and maybe three of very significant play for a team (Cleveland) who maybe trying to turn a corner in perception as well as record. Brown would not be responsible for AJ's pro rated bonus in their cap. 2014 $10 m '15 $10.5 and 2016 $11 m.

I enjoy when folks say "no chance" or "ain't happening" and then it does. Remember comments when it was posted AJ was going to hold out and many said "no chance of happening" and then he did? Browns could trade down in first picking up more selections and then trade a later first received for AJ; could be all sorts of scenarios. Personally I think AJ is not going anywhere but fun is speculation. If you choose not to..cool but being crude is childish.

That's what I was thinking...

Agreed.

When did he ever hint at that? All I ever heard was he thought the Texans should trade the first pick. I honestly think Dre hoped somehow #8 stuck around for at least one more season, but knew in his heart it was not going to happen.
"This first video here was published by the Houston Area Women’s Center YouTube Channel on March 5th. Andre and the president of the HAWC were on Fox News to talk about the organization and Andre’s charity golf tournament. Andre was also asked a few football questions about the upcoming season.

At the 3:08 minute mark Andre was asked, “How important is it for you that the quarterback situation gets settled, and how do you feel about the fact that the Texans might draft a quarterback like a Manziel or Bridgewater?

Andre responded by saying,

“I mean with the position that I play you want to make sure that the quarterback spot is a spot that is secure. It’s a guy that you have to work with day in and day out to make sure your timing is down and things like that. Watching college football I was a huge Johnny Manziel fan, I think he’s a heck of a player. But, you know that’s not my call, I can’t make that decision.(said smiling)".

http://houstonsportsfocus.com/andre-johnson-want-johnny-manziel/

No. Because AJ is getting older and more injury prone, and less likely to recover fully from injuries, like his present one. And because he apparently doesn't have his heart in it for the Texans anymore.

He has played in 39 straight regular and post season games since coming back from his most recent injury in 2011. All of those games were played at age 30+. Not seeing where being older has made him more injury prone. It's a tweaked hammy at the start of pre-season for Christ's sake.

Back