Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Twitter: Possible trade

Yes let's trade for a QB who's had 3 above average games in his career and then take away his best receiver. :wadepalm:

Rosencopter appears as a guest host on NFL Network for a couple days and he thinks he has insider information now.

Lots of people talking trade rumors thanks to Sage Rosenfels tweet:

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/499605981094236161

Tweet reads that a big trade could affect two franchises. All of Twitter is rumor of Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer. Thoughts on this? Is this even feasible?

potential hall of fame receiver. a 5th year backup who has started 4 games in his career. MIIIIIIIIIIGHT be a little bit of a gap there. if cleveland were to throw in one of their firsts i could see it being possible.

Tweet reads that a big trade could affect two franchises. All of Twitter is rumor of Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer. Thoughts on this? Is this even feasible?

What or who is "all of twitter" in your post that has this AJ for Hoyer rumor?
I follow a fairly large number of football and Texans related accounts and didn't see a single tweet like that.

What or who is "all of twitter" in your post that has this AJ for Hoyer rumor?
I follow a fairly large number of football and Texans related accounts and didn't see a single tweet like that.

Just do a search for "Texans" or "Hoyer" or the like. I'm not advocating anything, but it is a hot topic right now. More people debunking it, though.

Unless we got a 1st or a 2nd with it (which they would never part with) this would be an awful trade.

AJ is a proven commodity and Hoyer hasn't proven he can stay healthy OR he belongs as a starter in this league.

So let me get it straight - We're going to trade Andre, who is frustrated by losing/rebuilding, to a Browns team..That hasn't made the playoffs since hes been in the NFL?

For a small-sample size QB?

Coming off a major injury?

I'd say no chance, but we do have RS at the helm :overreact:

Lol - Hoyer has 1 more touchdown pass in 6 seasons in the league than Andre received last season.

Like the others, I'm going to file this under the "only if there is a first rounder attached to it"

It just doesn't make sense for Cleveland anyway. Signing Johnson is a 'win now' move, and they don't have the tools to make a Superbowl run. A team in transition like Cleveland making a trade for AJ would be supremely stupid.

Lol - Hoyer has 1 more touchdown pass in 6 seasons in the league than Andre received last season.

Like the others, I'm going to file this under the "only if there is a first rounder attached to it"

It just doesn't make sense for Cleveland anyway. Signing Johnson is a 'win now' move, and they don't have the tools to make a Superbowl run. A team in transition like Cleveland making a trade for AJ would be supremely stupid.

Without commenting on the trade rumor itself, Cleveland would be giving up a backup QB (regardless of whether that's true in week one or sometime later) for a very productive receiver who's under contract for three more seasons. In what universe would that not make sense?

Plus, whether you agree with them or not, I'm pretty sure Cleveland's decision-makers view themselves as a 2014 playoff team at a bare minimum (and for the record, I think there's a pretty good chance they're right).

Without commenting on the trade rumor itself, Cleveland would be giving up a backup QB (regardless of whether that's true in week one or sometime later) for a very productive receiver who's under contract for three more seasons. In what universe would that not make sense?

Plus, whether you agree with them or not, I'm pretty sure Cleveland's decision-makers view themselves as a 2014 playoff team at a bare minimum (and for the record, I think there's a pretty good chance they're right).
Add to that Josh Gordon is suspended for the season. Major hole at WR for the Browns.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer · 20m

Are we really doing this again? RT @FFB_Commish: @AlbertBreer Any legs to a rumored trade of Brian Hoyer to Texans for Andre Johnson?

I'd consider that if they took AJ's contract free and clear. I'm not into sentimentalism or loyalty. That went out the door with free agency. AJ's on the downside of his career, probably his last year with the club. And this team ain't gonna do sh!t this year, and Hoyer's a lot better than anything we got right now .......so, make it happen.

Knowing full well that this is all complete BS.

Sage's tweet doesn't say anything about a trade, but I guess that's the logical conclusion...

That said, I can't see us going through the trouble of convincing Dre to come back only to trade him for Hoyer.

I'm confused. A few weeks ago before AJ ended his stand-off the concensus was trading him for a 3rd or 4th was the best we could expect. Now we need Hoyer and a 1st?

aaa8166f_rosencopter-o.gif

Rosentweeter.

I'm confused. A few weeks ago before AJ ended his stand-off the concensus was trading him for a 3rd or 4th was the best we could expect. Now we need Hoyer and a 1st?

I don't recall that consensus. Anyway, then and now any value statements are random fan noise.

Based on the cap hit a AJ trade would hit us with would we even have the room to take on Moyer's contract if we did this.

Thats dumb it should be houston trading late picks for Hoyer if a deal like that is going to be good for the Texans.

Based on the cap hit a AJ trade would hit us with would we even have the room to take on Moyer's contract if we did this.

We would have more room on the cap than we do now. After the proposed trade, we would have $2.0 million more in cap room. AJ's prorated bonus money = $2 million less than AJ's 2014 salary (which comes off the books) + Brian Hoyer's $1 million 2014 salary (which the team would take on).

I actually like the deal. Getting AJ's huge cap number off the books, adding a QB for O'Brien to work with and assess this year, all makes sense to me.

Those of you pessimistic about the season already should love the deal since it opens up a huge amount of cap room, upgrades the QB position (at least the depth), makes the team younger, etc...

Sage Rosenfels’s Earth-Shattering NFL Rumor: PLACE YA BETS

Earlier today, Sage Rosenfels tweeted this mystical, threatening message:

Hearing a crazy NFL rumor. If/when confirm, it hugely affects two franchises
(poor grammar in 2nd statement.)

Now, far be it for us to make any judgements about Sage’s journalistic capabilities, and the fact that tweeting something like this is the equivalent of whispering to a friend and then announcing to the room “THIS IS A SECRET. I’M NOT TELLING”. We’d never say that. We’re a classy website. Instead, let’s speculate aimlessly on what this tweet could mean. Here are you Sage Rosenfels Tweet Betting Odds 2K14.

-Something that’s actually pretty mundane and won’t affect anything at all at 1:1
-Something that’s legitimately earth-shattering, but is immediately disproven at 1:1
-Wolfman Rob involved in some way at 4:1
-Johnny Manziel involved in some way at 5:1
-Michael Sam involved in some way at 10:1
-All three involved in some way (it’s an orgy. An orgy is the way all three are involved) at 20:1
-Grossman forced a trade to Miami because he fathered three kids during his tryout at 2:1
-Drew Brees and Peyton Manning named as accomplices in the Aaron Hernandez case at 200:1
-Jerry Jones accidentally loses the entire state of Texas in a game of high-stakes bacarrat with the Sultan of Brunei at 15:1
-The Raiders actually are moving to San Antonio. Chargers go to LA at 400:1
-The Redskins change name to the Washington Other Giants and the New York changes name to the Original Giants at 120:1
-(via @books_not_wooks) The Manning brothers have been make believe this entire time at 500:1

It’s funny, because every single scenario listed here is more plausible than the rumor circulating currently, that the Texans are considering trading Andre Johnson for Ryan Mallett. Truth is stranger than fiction.
LINK

I think Rosencopter was scanning our website and stumbled onto the talk of Playoffs getting traded for a 1st and two 2nds.

No. Although it's doubtful AJ will be productive for the Texans again, you don't trade him for another also-ran QB who is going to be beat out by a rookie. Now if we trade him for Andrew Luck, count me in.

The reasons Andre would want this trade:

- He won't have to spend a valuable late-career season learning a new system if he plays under OC Kyle Shanahan.
- Better QB situation.
- He could receive guarantees under a restructured contract, which Cleveland is willing to grant after losing Josh Gordon.
- Cleveland is not in a rebuilding phase.

The reasons the Texans would want this trade:

- Cap space.
- Eliminates risk of inefficiency and minimized productivity from a highly paid Andre as he and whichever QB learn a new system.
- Cleveland will overpay for this trade given their desperate need for a receiver.

This deal is not so outlandish.

Let me also add that I am not in favor of Andre leaving. I want him to retire a Texan and have a statue outside of Reliant. I just see how this deal is not completely unrealistic.

Yeah because nothing spells done like 1400 yds with no QB.
No. Because AJ is getting older and more injury prone, and less likely to recover fully from injuries, like his present one. And because he apparently doesn't have his heart in it for the Texans anymore.

- He won't have to spend a valuable late-career season learning a new system if he plays under OC Kyle Shanahan.
- Better QB situation.
- He could receive guarantees under a restructured contract, which Cleveland is willing to grant after losing Josh Gordon.

- Cap space.
- Eliminates risk of inefficiency and minimized productivity from a highly paid Andre as he and whichever QB learn a new system.
- Cleveland will overpay for this trade given their desperate need for a receiver.

Ok we have no idea how Manziel is going to do so the QB thing is ewwwww

And not rebuilding, they went 4-12 and did not exactly add much to their team besides tate and Manziel.

So let me get it straight - We're going to trade Andre, who is frustrated by losing/rebuilding, to a Browns team..That hasn't made the playoffs since hes been in the NFL?

For a small-sample size QB?

Coming off a major injury?

I'd say no chance, but we do have RS at the helm :overreact:

/thread

- Better QB situation.

- Cap space.

Cleveland has been in rebuilding mode since 1999. They look like a decent team on paper, but so did the 2013 Texans...

Pettine squashes Brian Hoyer trade speculation
Browns coach Mike Pettine quickly shot down speculation again that signing of Rex Grossman could mean a possible trade for Brian Hoyer if Johnny Manziel wins the starting job, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

'''Stories' is a good word to apply to that,'' said Pettine, sounding slightly annoyed at the question. "We're not going to comment on every story that's out there. We made a move to strengthen our quarterback room, and you just get these stories coming out. I don't want to be in the habit of commenting on all of them. I really addressed that situation yesterday."

On Tuesday, he was asked if Grossman's signing makes Hoyer expendable and he said, "absolutely not.''

Pettine was also asked about it Wednesday morning on ESPN's Mike and Mike show.

"We were looking to upgrade that third spot,'' said Pettine. "We think the world of Brian and he's been really solid for us. He's done nothing to have that job taken away and we're really pleased with where he is. A lot of people don't realize when he played in Detroit, it was his first live action since coming off a serious knee injury and we thought he handled himself very well.''

Back