Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Johnson.........

Kontraband said:
WTF
We traded 13th and possibly DJ for him.
:thumbdown IMO

And the worst part is the cowboys are going to get the Spears... all the ESPN cowboy pumpers are going to praise J.Jones for weeks... :thumbdown

Travis Johnson | DT | Florida State

Johnson could slip due to a crass attitude and some character issues. After struggling through some off-field issues that affected his play early in his career at FSU, Johnson had a breakout season as a fulltime starter in 2004. In our opinion, he's the best defensive tackle in this year's draft class, and he has a chance to make a huge impact early in his NFL career. He's a one-gap penetrating DT with enough bulk and strength to hold the point of attack.

He had 3 whole sacks last year. Oh did you know his junior year he had 3 whole tackles for loss.

Oh we didn't pick Shaun Cody who had almost 3 sacks in the Orange Bowl and has been a dominate force for 3 1/2 years in college

Please, can we draft a GM???

Hate this pick. Spears and Williams were the only two defensive players I didnt like in this draft. I really, really hate this pick....sigh.

this best part about this **** pickis we just gave seth payne a very nice signing bonus and I'll assume johnson is his backup.

We're gonna wish we had taken david pollack in a big way. So I guess Peek has the OLB spot all but wrapped up.

i think 90 percent of Texans fans are pissed off right now. Im one of them.

Travis Johnson and 3rd round pick for DJ? Gimme a break.

According to Frank Coyle:

Travis is the #1 DT in '05 Draft...he displays great quickness and great power that demanded special attention. He shows a rare combination of quickness, strength and athleticism with the ability to rush the passer from the inside and pursue very well on running plays. As a pass rusher he shows the explosiveness to gain fast penetration into backfield and the power to push the pocket as a bull rusher.

Well, CC and Dom had something in mind we didn't. Travis has potential and if you think NE and how they built their 3/4, young lineman have been key.

Decent pick. Not a great pick...but decent. Most of you aren't going to like it because it's not who you wanted. But then again, most of you were ticked when Casserly traded up to get Babin last year. How'd that turn out?

Texan In Japan

You're probably correct. Capers and Casserly have seen WAY more film than I have on every single player. They've interviewed each one and did background checks.

I'll be happier later.

Thanks for your post.

I like it. We NEVER win the line game on either side of the ball and this year's offensive linemen was a weak class. We have yet to go through a season with both Walker and Payne playing the entire time.

Honestly, from his highlights he looks like Gary Walker in his younger days. Walker may need to restructure his contract after next year if we keep him longer than this coming season.

As far as I'm concerned we drafted for need. DT is probably our biggest need. I know nothing about this guy, but the highlights they showed of him were unimpressive.

DJ doesnt fit in well in a 3-4 scheme, and I would trust the fact that we will turn that third round pick in 2006 into a second rounder for this year. You have to look at how a player fits into a system, not just his numbers. We made a good pick.

Not only do we trade down and not take DJ, we take a player that is not a Texan type player... From everything ive read he has character issues... WTF! I give CC a big kick to the balls! :slap:

And 2 thumbs down. :thumbdown :thumbdown

For what it's worth...I made a few calls to my SEC buddies, and they all had nothing but good things to say about TJ. I know a lot of people are upset about this pick, but I also know that it's human nature to be a lot more skeptical of the players that you haven't really seen play or hear about. Especially when a 1st rounder is involved. We shall see.

Trapped said:
Travis Johnson and 3rd round pick for DJ? Gimme a break.

I LOVE DJ, having watched his entire collegiate career here in Austin. But almost everyone has him as a better fit in a 4-3 scheme, not a 3-4. Personally, with his speed I thought he could still fit in with us.

I think its a fine pick. He has alot of upside, and gives us some good depth on the d-line.

And give it up on Derrick johnson, he is not in the Texans plans. Never was. The Texans like what they see in Travis, and im sure things will work themselves out.

i for one like the pick...it adds some freakin aggression to our line...anyone who has seen this guy play will tell you he plays with a mean aggression...we need that on our o-line...and with how often walker and payne get hurt we needed to add someone...although i though marcus spears would fit us better he doesn't have the aggression johnson has...this is still a good pick i like it...i know everyone is pissed...but we'll see how this will work out

From CBS Sportsline

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/413936

According to Johnson's coaches, the outgoing player is finally living up to his press clippings. He shows very active hands and excellent explosion coming off the snap. He is a quick twitch type than gets into the offensive lineman quickly, generating good upper body power behind his hand punch to gain separation. In the past, he showed marginal field instincts, but possibly due to the medication, Travis was able to quickly read and react to the plays, especially showing alertness diagnosing the screen.

He is best when defending vs. the run, as Travis shows a sudden burst off the snap and enough explosion to wrap and secure ball carriers with authority. He uses his hands effectively to split double teams and has the lower body strength to push the pocket. Johnson showed in 2004 that he can play with leverage and does a good job of avoiding being reached. He penetrates or inverts to disrupt and has the hand usage to stack and control.

He has a good anchor to maintain position vs. the larger offensive linemen and uses his hands quickly to shed and disengage. Johnson shows urgency penetrating the gaps, as he learned to use his upper body power when coming off the edge to collapse the blocker's shoulder and get a good push on the bull rush. His hand punch will consistently jar the offensive lineman and in the short area, he shows suddenness to close ground on the quarterback.

Johnson moves well in the short area, but when he gets too high in his stance, he fails to sink his hips properly to gain momentum when changing direction. When he does not play at a low pad level, blockers are able to lock him up and he will struggle to shed. He really applies more pressure when collapsing the pocket than register sacks, but he is an athletic mover with quick spin, club, and swim moves (best when striking low, as he can get better hip snap to invert the pocket).

His timed speed is not that great, but he does show above average quickness in his initial burst. Johnson has developed a very good feel for the play and can be very disruptive when he stays at a low pad level. He worked hard in the 2004 offseason to add strength and did a very good job in 2004 to hold his ground at the point of attack. He is now capable of making plays from the backside and plays flat down the line, showing the acceleration to catch the ball carrier from behind.

While he did not do it in the past, Travis showed marked improvement reading blocks, feeling pressure and redirecting to the play. He has become a force from the offside and became a challenge for offensive linemen as he showed a more physical nature in his play. He won't maul a lineman, but has developed capable hands (wax on, wax off moves) with a quick swim to gain penetration. He does a good job of working the side of an offensive guard to get into the backfield and his improved hand strength is evident in his rip moves.

His versatility (can play zero, two- or three-tech), renewed dedication, sudden explosion and active hands made him the most disruptive force in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2004. It is my belief that he will go much higher in the draft than my grade here indicates. Based on 2004 performances, he is well on his way to living up to the potential he showed in high school. Some teams might be concerned about the lack of consistency he showed during his first four years with the FSU program. But, if he can continue to play at the level he displayed as a senior, some organization will benefit greatly if he can stay the course he showed in 2004.

why the he** is everyone complainin about us not getting derrick johnson. WE DIDNT NEED HIM! for gosh sakes, where are you going to put him??? morlon greenwood is a starter, wong is definitely one, and of course babin and peek arent getting replaced. i like the travis johnson pick. he brings lots of tenacity and fierceness to what was a soft d-line last year. i would have preferred marcus spears or david pollack, but i think that t.j.'s intensity will make a huge impact. d-line was the way to go, not LB. i like the choice. the o-line can easily be fixed in free-agency

everyone hated the pick at the beginning of this thread, then everyone started loving it.

I know me and my brother's jaws dropped when they made the pick, I was sure you'd take spears.

it was just the fact that DJ was on the board and we didn't pick him. I actually think Casserly took a risk to trade down in hoping that we get DJ at 16. But the plan backfired.

But as a true Texan Fan im gonna accept the fact that we didn't get DJ, and Casserly and Capers know what they are doing. Injecting youth on the Dline was and is very important. Travis brings in this mean streak that we want in our dline. Let's be real, our Dline was soft. Robaire, Peek, and TJ can get that mean streak going in our front 7.

Our defense was was slow and soft last year, that's a bad combination. So drafting DJ would make us fast, but still soft. With the addition of Travis Johnson, he could potentially be another Robaire Smith and also the guy ready to give Gary Walker the boot and puts pressure on G Funk to perform. With the acquisitions we made, i think our team is faster, meaner, and smarter.

We obviousley had TJ over Spears so im guessing TJ fits our personnell better.

TJ is a "pure" DT where Spears is more towards the high bred type. That is probably why we took him. Our guys need to be mean "Space eaters" and TJ seems to be that type and can push the O-line back also. Of that type of DT, he was the highest rated in the draft, so that should be a good thing.

Back