Travis Johnson.........

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Kontraband, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Kontraband

Kontraband Rookie

WTF
    We traded 13th and possibly DJ for him.
    :thumbdown IMO

2. Dallashater

Dallashater Rookie

And the worst part is the cowboys are going to get the Spears... all the ESPN cowboy pumpers are going to praise J.Jones for weeks... :thumbdown

3. Koruptified

Koruptified Rookie

I don't understand why the Texans didn't grab Barron... I thought Carr needed protection.

4. Master Po

Master Po Veteran

Travis Johnson | DT | Florida State

Johnson could slip due to a crass attitude and some character issues. After struggling through some off-field issues that affected his play early in his career at FSU, Johnson had a breakout season as a fulltime starter in 2004. In our opinion, he's the best defensive tackle in this year's draft class, and he has a chance to make a huge impact early in his NFL career. He's a one-gap penetrating DT with enough bulk and strength to hold the point of attack.

5. pilottim

pilottim Rookie

He had 3 whole sacks last year. Oh did you know his junior year he had 3 whole tackles for loss.

Oh we didn't pick Shaun Cody who had almost 3 sacks in the Orange Bowl and has been a dominate force for 3 1/2 years in college

Please, can we draft a GM???

6. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Hate this pick. Spears and Williams were the only two defensive players I didnt like in this draft. I really, really hate this pick....sigh.

7. ocd

ocd Rookie

this best part about this **** pickis we just gave seth payne a very nice signing bonus and I'll assume johnson is his backup.

We're gonna wish we had taken david pollack in a big way. So I guess Peek has the OLB spot all but wrapped up.

8. Trapped

Trapped Veteran

i think 90 percent of Texans fans are pissed off right now. Im one of them.

Travis Johnson and 3rd round pick for DJ? Gimme a break.

9. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

According to Frank Coyle:

Travis is the #1 DT in '05 Draft...he displays great quickness and great power that demanded special attention. He shows a rare combination of quickness, strength and athleticism with the ability to rush the passer from the inside and pursue very well on running plays. As a pass rusher he shows the explosiveness to gain fast penetration into backfield and the power to push the pocket as a bull rusher.

Well, CC and Dom had something in mind we didn't. Travis has potential and if you think NE and how they built their 3/4, young lineman have been key.

10. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Decent pick. Not a great pick...but decent. Most of you aren't going to like it because it's not who you wanted. But then again, most of you were ticked when Casserly traded up to get Babin last year. How'd that turn out?

11. ocd

ocd Rookie

Texan In Japan

You're probably correct. Capers and Casserly have seen WAY more film than I have on every single player. They've interviewed each one and did background checks.

I'll be happier later.

Thanks for your post.

12. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

I like it. We NEVER win the line game on either side of the ball and this year's offensive linemen was a weak class. We have yet to go through a season with both Walker and Payne playing the entire time.

Honestly, from his highlights he looks like Gary Walker in his younger days. Walker may need to restructure his contract after next year if we keep him longer than this coming season.

13. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

As far as I'm concerned we drafted for need. DT is probably our biggest need. I know nothing about this guy, but the highlights they showed of him were unimpressive.

14. ptowntexanfan

ptowntexanfan Waterboy

DJ doesnt fit in well in a 3-4 scheme, and I would trust the fact that we will turn that third round pick in 2006 into a second rounder for this year. You have to look at how a player fits into a system, not just his numbers. We made a good pick.

15. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

Not only do we trade down and not take DJ, we take a player that is not a Texan type player... From everything ive read he has character issues... WTF! I give CC a big kick to the balls! :slap:

And 2 thumbs down. :thumbdown :thumbdown

16. Master Po

Master Po Veteran

For what it's worth...I made a few calls to my SEC buddies, and they all had nothing but good things to say about TJ. I know a lot of people are upset about this pick, but I also know that it's human nature to be a lot more skeptical of the players that you haven't really seen play or hear about. Especially when a 1st rounder is involved. We shall see.

17. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

I LOVE DJ, having watched his entire collegiate career here in Austin. But almost everyone has him as a better fit in a 4-3 scheme, not a 3-4. Personally, with his speed I thought he could still fit in with us.

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think its a fine pick. He has alot of upside, and gives us some good depth on the d-line.

And give it up on Derrick johnson, he is not in the Texans plans. Never was. The Texans like what they see in Travis, and im sure things will work themselves out.

19. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Last year he had 18 tackles for loss.

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i for one like the pick...it adds some freakin aggression to our line...anyone who has seen this guy play will tell you he plays with a mean aggression...we need that on our o-line...and with how often walker and payne get hurt we needed to add someone...although i though marcus spears would fit us better he doesn't have the aggression johnson has...this is still a good pick i like it...i know everyone is pissed...but we'll see how this will work out