Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Johnson v. Derrick Johnson

Here's how they compare after week 1....

DJ - 8 tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovered.

TJ - 2 tackles.

Derrick Johnson would not have been a good fit here... he actually makes tackles and plays.

BTW... The 4 starting LB's for the Texans had 10 tackles, 0 sacks and 0 fumble recoveries. And were playing against a weaker offensive line.

hey but he wasnt cut for our system what a bunch of baloney we need play makers we missed out on a solid players thanks casserly hope you find anopther job in the league after you get canned this year.

You're comparing tackles and sacks from a LB to a DT in a 3-4 scheme? That's beyond insane.

TJ isn't supposed to get a lot of sacks or tackles. He's supposed to tie up blockers so that the linebackers can make plays. Take a look at Ted Washington's tackles and sacks statistics per season and tell me that he's not a good player.

the wonger need food said:
Here's how they compare after week 1....

DJ - 8 tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovered.

TJ - 2 tackles.

Derrick Johnson would not have been a good fit here... he actually makes tackles and plays.

I think the coaching staff forgot they wanted the other Johnson :tomato:

DomDavis said:
You're comparing tackles and sacks from a LB to a DT in a 3-4 scheme? That's beyond insane.

TJ isn't supposed to get a lot of sacks or tackles. He's supposed to tie up blockers so that the linebackers can make plays. Take a look at Ted Washington's tackles and sacks statistics per season and tell me that he's not a good player.
Nice attempt but good luck trying to convince them otherwise.

DomDavis said:

We're talking about drafting a playmaker really. He is already better than any of the Texans linebackers.

We're talking about drafting a playmaker really. He is already better than any of the Texans linebackers.

Doesn't change the fact that comparing statistics of a DT in a 3-4 to a linebacker is ridiculous.

Also, fwiw, TJ played better than any of our defensive linemen, imo.

DomDavis said:

...bet you're hoping for the day you don't have to make excuses for everything the Texans do....his point was not aimed at what posisition
the players play but their production---how do Greenwoods stats compare to DJ?

IMO, Gary Walker played the best game by a dlineman. True, statistally it may not be a fair comparison. How about we just put those numbers in place of Moron Greenjeans.

Greenwood:

T-A SCK INT FF
2-3 0.0 0 0

Another brilliant offseason move by CC and Company. The Chickens are coming home to roost.

tsip said:
...bet you're hoping for the day you don't have to make excuses for everything the Texans do....his point was not aimed at what posisition

And his point is flawed because you cannot accurately measure a DT's impact in statistics.

DomDavis said:
Gary Walker had a great game. He was named player of the game on the post game show.

tsip said:

Derrick Johnson had 2 less tackles and 1 more sack than the Texans 4 starters at LB.

And he was playing against a better offensive line.

Casserly doesn't like to draft playmakers. He likes projects... Those who played one or two downs their entire college career.

LoneStarState said:
Casserly doesn't like to draft playmakers. He likes projects... Those who played one or two downs their entire college career.

Yes, and preferably a player who will also be making a position change as well.

DomDavis said:
And his point is flawed because you cannot accurately measure a DT's impact in statistics.

Why do they have offensive/defensive players of the game when you
are considering 11 different posisitions?

Somebody-somewhere is able to determine, for example, that a qb
out played a rb!

The Texans will be not be living this one down. It was a perfect fit, a local sensation that was very marketable in this region, especially when we were letting go a LB and had an immediate opening.

tsip said:
Why do they have offensive/defensive players of the game when you
are considering 11 different posisitions?

Somebody-somewhere is able to determine, for example, that a qb
out played a rb!

There are specific statistics that can measure the impact of passing and rushing. There are some statistics that can measure the impact of defensive tackles, but their primary role (taking up blockers) is not a measurable statistic. It's simply a judgment call from watching and who you think made the bigger impact.

I wouldn't have been upset if the thread starter had said DJ played better today. It was the use of statistics as if they proved anything, because they're meaningless. It's the equivalent of saying a RB outplayed a QB because he had more rushing yards.

Well TJ is a backup, that right there should give you enough ammo. He won't be strong enough to spell anyone from their spot.

SESupergenius said:
The Texans will be not be living this one down. It was a perfect fit, a local sensation that was very marketable in this region, especially when we were letting go a LB and had an immediate opening.

...good post!

Thank god we didn't draft that guy. We have the linchpins of our 3-4 in place and this coaching staff and their 3-4 will be in place for ever so there is no need to draft the best linebacker of the last 5 years in college football.

How many fans on this messageboard that said DJ is overrated and would be a bust in the NFL will come forward and eat crow? My guess is zero.

Still fuming over the DJ non-pick. I just eventually shut up about it because we can't go back and change it so what's the point. The Texans blew that one bigtime.

Hervoyel said:
Still fuming over the DJ non-pick. I just eventually shut up about it because we can't go back and change it so what's the point. The Texans blew that one bigtime.

Well .... I think a lot of us are still irritated over that pick .....but no sense crying over spilt milk .... DJ did have a pretty nice game Vs. the Jets .... I wish the former Longhorn well .... and Hope that Travis Johnson proves Casserly to be a genius (Doubtful) :tomato:

Joey Harrington - 11/20, 116 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Apparently they drafted the wrong QB as well.

DJ couldn't have helped us this game either though. You have to blitz the LB to actually hit him or sack him.

first of all, DJs stats in HIS FIRST GAME in KC, have no bearing on whether or not he would have fit in our defense down here (if you want to call it a defense)

second of all, this post has absolutely no value whatsoever. If you really dont like the decisions we have made and want to see a change, whining about who we didnt draft is not going to get you anywhere.

DomDavis said:
Doesn't change the fact that comparing statistics of a DT in a 3-4 to a linebacker is ridiculous.

comparing stats? yes that is ridiculous.

Comparing the impact that player had on the game he was in? Not ridiculous at all.

TJ will never affect any game he's in the way DJ can affect a game. The Texans had a chance to take an elite linebacker and instead took a good lineman with far too high a pick. Interesting that a year before they gave up a bunch of picks to take "good" linebacker and sold him to us as having the potential to be elite.

It's all so much rubbish and we'll be half a decade digging out of the hole Casserly and Capers are putting us in.

SESupergenius said:
Well TJ is a backup, that right there should give you enough ammo. He won't be strong enough to spell anyone from their spot.
good post

TJ couldnt even beat out seth payne wow that and awsome pick if i only had a timemachine and let casserly know he was gonna blow it again with that pick.

Grid said:
first of all, DJs stats in HIS FIRST GAME in KC, have no bearing on whether or not he would have fit in our defense down here (if you want to call it a defense)

second of all, this post has absolutely no value whatsoever. If you really dont like the decisions we have made and want to see a change, whining about who we didnt draft is not going to get you anywhere.

So if a fan really doesn't like the decisions we have made and wants to see a change he should shut up and keep his comments to himself? Is that what I understand you mean by "whining about who we didn't draft is not going to get you anywhere"?

The way I see it keeping my mouth shut and continuing to drink the Kool Aid isn't getting me anywhere either so I might as well say what's on my mind.

I to am starting to question the pick of DJ over TJ. At the time I trusted the opinons of teh FO and other talent evaluators (Gossilin, mianly) and thought that DJ wouldn't work in Houston. Then Cass and Co pick up Greenwood, saying we needed more athletic MLBs, and I started to question things (mainly giving Cass credit for having a good, at the time, first round record)

After seeing the utter lack of anything from the MLBs today, I must agree with the general consenus here. How is drafting a back-up better then drafting a possible impact starter?

Do you think any of the veteran defesive players (Glenn, Foreman, and Sharper) made their decisions based on the direction the franchise is going? Well I will stick by the team. I will just accept that this will be a difficult year.

Grid said:

will this be what you mean Monday?

powda said:
so if we complain enough theres still a chance we'll be 1-0?

sorry, but I think you are way in the minority right now with your :homer: thoughts, but--please,please--post this thought as a new topic!!

so you think its productive to complain? we're going to accomplish anything?

and when did you get the authority to dictate minority and majority?

I think DJ is a heck of a player and loved watching him at UT, but who would he have replaced in the starting lineup here for sure? By the draft, the Texans already had a $20 something Mill FA linebacker and there was no way they would put him on the bench and moving Wong to the inside has been coming for 2 years.

On another note, I thought TJ had a pretty good game. At least he didn't get any penalties called against him that I can recall. :rolleyes:

Back