Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade talks with Dallas over Antonio Bryant

JDizzle

I'm a dude
HoustonProFootball reported (from ProFootball Weekly) today that the Texans have initiated trade talks with The Cowboys for a possible trade for Bryant.

I wonder what we 'could' be putting on the table for this alleged trade negotiation.

That's interesting.

I thought the general consensus was that he was a troublemaker and they had decided to stay away from players whose reputation preceded them!

WWJD said:
That's interesting.

I thought the general consensus was that he was a troublemaker and they had decided to stay away from players whose reputation preceded them!

Which makes me wonder what the Texans brain trust feels like it knows about Bryant that we don't. Curious. I can't honestly say that I don't already like our recieving corp as it is so I don't much see a need for this guy. I also can't say that any particular part of our team looks bad to me so nobody comes to mind who I'd like to see traded to get him.

Unless of course they're talking about an Antonio Bryant - Jonathan Wells trade straight up.

After all Jonathan just needs a change of scenery to reach his full potential right? He'd be a monster back for the Cowboys.

I was just reading up on Bryant.

He has attitude problems; physically he has all the tools to be a top-notch receiver.

He's made some tough catches for the Cowboys but overall has not been as good as they expected. In an area where there is need he has not made the extra effort to be the clutch receiver they need.

I think he's just another very immature athlete that doesn't respect authority at all.

He must know by now that that will not work with Coach Parcells who has the reputation of taking NOTHING off his players

Coach Capers is cut from the same cloth I think as Coach Parcells.

He is upset that he is their 3rd reciever and isn't very involved with the offense so if he is only their 3rd, why would we be interested in him?

I am a bit surprised HPF is running with Profootballtalk.com's story as a front-page piece. Profootballtalk.com is the National Enquirer of internet sports. It is a pure gossip outlet. It may have some merit, but I have to give this one a wait and see before I buy into it.

Bryant is enormously talented and we may feel we can get him on the cheap. Just remember we practiced with him the last two years so we have had an up-close look at the WR.

Well, he might be able to be that 2nd WR we are looking for that does not disappear in games. It kind of makes me wonder what our depth is looking like to the coaches. Wasn't Bryant taken by the Cowboys during our inaugural season? I think he was a first rounder and that could make for a pretty good receiving corp.

Gaffney and Bradford never disappeared in games. Carr struggled to find his secondary receivers the first two years. Gaffney and Bradford were wide open over and over and over last year and Carr would just dump it down to Davis as the safe toss.

Gaffney and Bradford were open a FEW times but not much. With the collapsing pocket around contantly the o-line bares a lot to blame there too. We had 2 QB's knocked out because of the line play, one of them twice! It's no wonder Carr would be hurrying things.

On TV that is hard to tell. When I go to games I can see the secondary. Just my opinion. You could be right though. eek:

Ses, to be fair I'm giving Carr a fresh start this year since I have been a bit tough on him last year. He finally has all the tools and a quality line. I'm looking forward to his maturity as an NFL QB. He is a great guy and a hard worker.

I think Gaffney and Bradford were open more than a few times, they were open alot, especially late in games because teams were starting to key on DD and AJ, which left a lot of the downfield open to the receivers Carr just never looked past the two rooks. But anyway, I wouldnt be against the trade, but I really dont know who we would trade for him, being a 2nd rounder and all. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery, or a good QB. idonno: And if DC wants to trade for him, he probably thinks he can control his attitude.

Both Parcells and DC don't take **** from players but I've seen how Parcells talks to his players and acts like he has no respect for them so they'll try harder to earn his respect and feels he has to be an *** all the time in order to get things done. DC is nothing like that. They both handle their players in completely different manners. DC is firm in what he says and demands just as much respect but goes about it in a different way. May be I'm wrong in my opinion because I'm on the outside looking in but that's just me.

ok then I will give Pitts and Gaffney a new slate this year. I am not too fond of them but will start with brand new pair of eyes.

Like Vinny, I'm skeptical of the report. While supremely talented, he has also proven throughout his college and pro career that his talent stops at his neck. If he gets his head screwed on straight, there's not a team in the league who wouldn't want him. The Texans have to answer several questions. First, do they want to take a chance on upsetting team chemistry, by introducing a me-first type who may challenge the coaches and other players - ie, do they want a potential cancer. Secondly, does the upside potential physical talent outweigh the potential risks in attitude, desire, and chemistry? There have been many a coach who thought he could turn a guy around. Maybe Capers thinks he can, who knows. Lastly, if they answer in the affrmative to the above, then the third equation is what is he worth? Personally, although ironic, I wouldn't give up a third for him. I might take a gamble with a fourth. That is why they get the big bucks though.

If the guy wakes up, he has first round talent, and would make a great one-two punch with AJ, with Gaffney in the slot. I would use Bradford in the 4 WR package, with Sloan Thomas and Armstrong probably duking it out for the 5th spot. I doubt they keep 6, but you never know.

Well, on the "Gaffney and Bradford were/were not open" question and whether or not Carr gave them the needed looks" question I think it's important to dissect the seasons.

First off you can pretty much throw out almost all of 2002. We all know about the pass protection problems of year 1. That season even if he had had Davis to throw to it wouldn't have made much difference. Between Carr's imaturity and the lines poor play he often didn't have the time to even give his primary reciever a good look. That leads to 2003...

2003 was surprisingly good in terms of how many times Carr got sacked but it's not like 2003 happened all by itself. It followed 2002 so many times Carr reacted exactly like a guy who had just been through a 76 sack season one year before. That's not a knock on Carr. Find anyone not gun shy after taking a beating like that and I'll be surprised. Still in 2003 it led to Carr focusing on his primary reciever and then when the protection finally started showing signs of giving way he went to his safety valve quickly. It helped that his safety valve in this case was DD who could do some damage but he went to him soon. Too soon at times maybe.

I've probably watched the 2003 season more than almost anyone on this board. I've been burning DVD's of it for people most of the off-season and every time I make a DVD I spend some time watching it. Many of them I've watched almost all the way through and it happens often. Believe me, they're open quite a bit. They just weren't getting the looks.

The good news is that last year Carr took a very acceptable amount of punishment compared to other QB's in the league. Our line looks to be possibly even better in 2004 so he should start to see some consistent time this year. With 2002 fading into the past I expect him to take the time to see more of the field and check on those 2nd and 3rd options more this year. You can be sure that if we've seen it from games on television and in person then Chris Palmer and Dom Capers certainly know about it and will be working with David to get those other recievers more involved in the games.

Shouldn't alot of the quick dumps also be pointed toward the offense wanting to do alot of three step drop type passes? That might've had alot to do with Bradford and Gaff not getting alot of catches also. I do believe Carr will be standing taller alot more this season in the pocket with time to make better decisions but that may also lead to more INTs.

The guy could be a great WR... I've not seen a lot of evidence of an attitude problem (i know that he has a reputation from college). He definitely suffered from a lack of confidence catching the ball midseason last year, though. However, getting into a fight with Keyshawn Johnson hardly has "bad seed" written all over it. I guess he threw his jersey at Parcells also... Obviously, that's not good- however, Parcells was raving about the kid last year. I'd like to give him a chance...

Our team is to the point where it's character and leadership is established enough so that we can bring in some reclaimation projects without it infected the organization. This would be a great opportunity to do just that!

__V__ said:
Gaffney and Bradford never disappeared in games. Carr struggled to find his secondary receivers the first two years. Gaffney and Bradford were wide open over and over and over last year and Carr would just dump it down to Davis as the safe toss.
That is what I was trying to say in another thread. Carr was too quick to dump it down to Davis when Gaff and Bradford were open downfield.

But on Bryant, I dont think we will go after him unless Capers, Palmer, and Casserly thinks that he could be a better #2 WR then Gaff. I like Gaff and I remember reading a quote on profootballweekly.com that one of the coaches thinks that he has the tools to be a good #1 WR.

if we can get Bryant for a 4th round pick or later i say go for it, we proably wouldn't find a better reciever in next years draft, and with 2 years of experience he can come in and produce.

The problem with Bryant is with Bryant not Coach Parcells.

If he cannot handle him then I don't see him changing with Coach Capers.

The guy needs to learn that this is not acceptable behavior on any NFL team.

If he doesn't he'll just take his troubles from team to team.

jacquescas said:
if we can get Bryant for a 4th round pick or later i say go for it, we proably wouldn't find a better reciever in next years draft, and with 2 years of experience he can come in and produce.

Heck i'd take Bryant for the Henson pick (what was it dallas' 3rd rounder?)

what is funny is people talk about attitude problems. I don't know, I don't follow the cowboys in the offseason. What I see in Bryant is 1) yes, immature and 2) firey and competitive and have seen him mad when the Carter wouldn't see him open and makes a dumb throw.

some complain that our "leaders" are quiet and we need vocal leaders. unless my analysis of Bryant is wrong.. he might be what our offense needs.. Until he matures, i don't know about leader though

Ya you don't become a leader by throwing a towel at the coach.

My thoughts, if the Coaches and Mr. Casserly think Bryant would be better than our current stable of receivers, including the guy playing in the World Bowl, a 6'4" Jermaine Lewi, then who am I to argue.

What interests me is how good do you think Bradford and Gaffney and even Derrick Armstrong and Andre Johnson of course, can be if Carr will deliver them the ball? I would like to see all of them step-up big.

I agree with most that the line is going to be greatly improved and hopefully dominating as it certainly appears so on paper. The move to the new blocking scheme along with adding a quality line coach in Joe Pendry should also help out.

The added Bulls in front of Carr should provide the extra confidence he needs to hang in the pocket and zip it to the open wide-out or tight-end.

Combine that with the running of Rookie of the Year Running Back Dominick Davis and you have a bonified barn burner offense.

Early 2nd round pick, and physically gifted, Antonio Bryant would probably not hurt.

if DC can keep Bryant's attitude in check i would do it. give the kid the opportunity to become our #2 receiver. that's his main gripe in dallas anyways. he just wants a chance to start. for a 3rd round pick it would be a pretty good deal. besides, some of you want us to draft a WR in next years draft anyways. he's got first round talent plus 2 years experience. AJ, Bryant and Gaffney would give us a nice young core of receivers for years to come.

Texansbacker said:
My thoughts, if the Coaches and Mr. Casserly think Bryant would be better than our current stable of receivers, including the guy playing in the World Bowl, a 6'4" Jermaine Lewi, then who am I to argue.
When reading stuff like this "scoop" keep in mind that profootballtalk.com is a pure gossip site like the National Enquirer. Most of their content is garbage and make-believe. If the story busts at a legit news site then I will put more merit in it.

Wolf said:
I agree I am hoping it is just from immaturity

Probably so and I am sure Keyshawn Johnson yappin in his ear didn't get his blood boiling. Most would more than likely lose their cool too.

I am just really curious to see which receivers on the Texans roster are the real deal. Surely the coaches would know which player would be the best athlete, between our team and available talent, but then you have to factor in knowledge of the system and attitude.

And Vinny, I realize the National Enquirer sports clone puts out some crazy lies but some of the craziest of them turns out to be true, albeit a very very low percentage. Point well taken though.

I don't know if this has any truth to it, but IMO, if we did make a trade for Bryant it would not be so bad in my opinion. If it is true, then that tells me that the coaches might think there is a problem with our #2 or #3 receiver, or something is going on with them...maybe all Bryant needs is to come to a team like ours to turn his attitude around...say this was true and we did make a trade for Bryant do you guys think he would be our #2 or #3 and who would get bumped down? I say if he can come here with a good attitude and produce good for us....as long as the price isn't too high... :twocents:

Also you guys do know that the Cowboys signed Dedric Ward FA from the Pats today to a 1 year deal right?

I just got done poking around on the net, and from what I read everywhere, Bryant is not going anywhere, he is just laying low for a few days to let tempers cool down....

doesnt sound to me like he's going anywhere this year...

# Unless we are being misled, or badly misreading the tea leaves (the latter of those, of course, is always a possibility), Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Antonio Bryant isn't going anywhere. No release. No trade. No team suspension. No divorce. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells will deal with Bryant internally and the two will move on. Assuming, that is, that the petulant Bryant is prepared to use Tuesday's much-publicized practice incident as a difficult learning experience, to mature in a manner heretofore not demonstrated, and to emerge as the playmaker Cowboys coaches believe he can be. Only a week before the practice flare-up, Parcells was suggesting to some friends that he liked Bryant as a player and felt he could be a significant component to the offense in 2004. The consummate pragmatist, Parcells knows you need good players to win and, while Bryant is anything but a choir boy, he is a good player. Not as good as he thinks he is, but a good player, nonetheless. Then again, unless he grows up this year, Parcells could grow tired of his immaturity. But for now, Bryant's absence from Cowboys workouts on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is indicative of a cooling-off period and not his pending departure from the roster. Go back to his college career at Pitt, where some of the coaches couldn't wait to be rid of him, and it's obvious Bryant is a prima donna. Me-first guys don't last long with Parcells, who prefers team-focused players willing to subjugate individuality for the good of the whole, but the bet here is that Bryant's tour in Dallas lasts at least through this season. If the Cowboys want to deal Bryant, they've got some suitors, as several teams indicated an interest over the last few days. But they really don't want to trade him and, with Bryant in Miami chilling out and Parcells deliberating over how to handle the situation, things are quiet for now.

# Here's one element of the Bryant brouhaha that didn't get much notice: Virtually every one of the early media accounts of the incident -- all of them secondhand, since the Dallas practice was closed to minicams and notebooks that day -- reported that Bryant had tossed his shirt and pads to the ground. Even the story on the Cowboys' official Web site used that terminology. A day later, in follow-up stories, the references to "pads" was gone. Why is that notable? Because league rules, and the collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association, prohibit teams from wearing pads at mini-camps. The inference here isn't that Parcells and the Cowboys were flaunting the rules. Fact is, the Cowboys players we contacted said there were no pads involved. But you can bet that Dallas officials made it very clear to media members, following the initial reports, that there were no pads used at practice. Back in 1979, the Pittsburgh Steelers were forced to forfeit a third-round draft pick when a local beat reporter who is now a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com (hint: not me) discovered the club was wearing shoulder pads during a mini-camp. The incident, dubbed "Shouldergate," is still a sore spot with some longtime Steelers officials, even 25 years later. Draft picks are like gold to Parcells and to owner Jerry Jones, and they aren't about to risk losing one because of a mini-camp.

the article from espn.com can be found here

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
June 11, 2004, 4:43 p.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have already taken the head coach, two assistants and the fullback from that New York Jets team of 1998. This year, they added the starting quarterback and the star wide receiver, too.

And now they're bringing in role players as well.

The Cowboys signed yet another of Parcells' former players Friday, adding veteran wide receiver Dedric Ward, who played his first four years with the Jets (1997-2000), before a two-year stint with the Dolphins and then finishing last year with the Super Bowl champion Patriots.

The Cowboys signed Ward to just a one-year deal, giving the seven-year veteran a $660,000 base salary. However, Ward's contract falls under the NFL's Minimum Salary Benefit program, meaning he will count only $455,000 on the Cowboys' salary cap this year. That rule was put into place three years ago to help veteran players stay in the league longer. The NFL Players Association picks up the remaining balance, in this case, being $205,000.

The move gives the Cowboys insurance at not only receiver, but in the return game, with Ward having returned more than 100 punts in his career.

And signing Ward also gives the team another insurance policy against any further developments with wide receiver Antonio Bryant, who was kicked out of an off-season practice on Tuesday following a heated confrontation with Parcells. Bryant has not attended the team's last two workouts - Friday's was called off by Parcells - and according to sources, has returned home to Miami. His absence from the workouts the past two days, though, signifies more of a cooling off period for both sides than Bryant continuing to defy authority.

But don't expect Ward to be any kind of replacement for Bryant, or a viable option as the Cowboys' third receiver, behind Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn.

At 5-9, 185 pounds, Ward is considered more of a slot receiver with good speed, expected to play in three- and four-receiver sets. Ward has only 166 career catches for 2,302 yards and 12 touchdowns during his seven-year career.

But he should be rather familiar with his new teammates and coaches, having played three years under Parcells with the Jets. Ward also reunites with offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, a member of the Jets' coaching staff, and Cowboys' receiver coach Todd Haley, who held the same position in New York, coaching Ward for two years.

And Ward is yet another former Jets player from the late-90's era, which also includes Johnson, fullback Richie Anderson and quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

Ward's most effective season occurred in 2000, when he started all 16 games, catching a career-high 54 passes for 801 yards and three scores. He parlayed that into a free-agent contract with the Dolphins, although he caught just 40 passes in two years in Miami, failing to record a touchdown grab.

Last year, he signed with the Patriots in the off-season, but was released at the end of training camp, after he caught seven passes for 146 yards during New England's four exhibition games.

After sitting out a few weeks, Ward joined the Ravens, but was inactive for three games and eventually released. He then re-signed with New England on Nov. 20, and played the last four games of the regular season.

Ward was a contributor for the Pats, catching seven passes for 106 yards, including a 31-yard touchdown. He also played in both playoff games and the Super Bowl XXXVIII win over Carolina.

If Bryant remains with the team, which indications are starting to point in that direction, Ward wouldn't be one of the top three receivers, and would likely compete with the likes of Randal Williams, Zuriel Smith and Cedric James for the final receiver positions. The Cowboys also have rookies Patrick Crayton (seventh-round pick), and free agents Brandon Middleton, James Newson and Terrance Copper in the receiver competition.

Ward has been a regular return specialist on both punts and kickoffs, and should be able to provide depth in those two areas.

The Cowboys have yet to solidify either position this off-season, with players such as Smith (707 combined return yards in 2003), Crayton, Julius Jones and Nate Jones all expected to get opportunities to show off their return skills.

And Ward may not be the first option to return kicks, but if none of the rookies separate themselves from the pack, the Cowboys could point to him by the start of the regular season.

Ward is the second offensive player the Cowboys have signed this week. The club added rookie tight end Landon Trusty to the roster on Wednesday. Trusty (6-7, 270) played both football and basketball at Division II Central Arkansas. He was a four-year starter in football, catching 78 passes for 1,062 yards and 20 touchdowns during his four collegiate seasons.

Doesnt seem like Parcells is so sure of his return anymore. :hmmm: Maybe that gossip did have some truth to it. Its no coinsidence that Parcells just happened to finish contract negotiations a few days after Bryant's behavior problems. it may be a little worse than those Dallas fans hoped. Now its getting interesting. :popcorn:

Buff, I John McClain is pretty convinced that Bryant has played his last down as a Cowboy. I don't know if he has any extra insight or was guessing but he sounded convincing earlier.

Trade Hollings so that Jon Wells can be our feature back when Davis gets injured again? :crazy: Um....no.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Tony Hollings Trade for Bryant....

Nevermind! The Boys want to unload Bryant. I just read the article above and if we can get Braynt cheap then by all means take him.

If Bryant is traded, from a business perspective, I seriously doubt if he will come cheap. He's a valuable player and we should be able to get someone in return that will be of equal value.

he was a mid second rounder in 2002. he wont go for higher, he hasn't played well enough to garner a starting spot in the cowboys recieving corps, and with a well publicized battle with parcells, his value has never been lower. buy low sell high....

He has a serious oppurtunity to come in and compete for the 2nd starting WR job, or at least to put a fire under Gaffney who has yet to have any real competition in his pro career. Bryant can flat out play when he wants to, his immaturity stemmed from his desire to play football, he didn't put someones eye out with a whip cream pie (Aarington), punch out a patron at a bar,(EJ Henderson) or any other off the field issues. I say he is worth the risk... our offense can really flourish with him, and Joppru debuting for our team.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
I dont think you throw stuff at Parcell and gets to play on his team.
:twocents:

Ill trade a the #3 pick from Henson back to the Boys if we get Braynt. :cool:

I don't know what the outcome of the altercation will be and will be comfortable either way because of the trust I have in Parcells judgement. If he is traded, I don't expect a team will be able to pick him up in a $1 store deal.

Would you trade Bradford for Bryant? How about Bradford/Wells for Bryant? In my opinion, Bradford drops too many drive killing 3rd down passes. That's why Gaffney beat him out for the #2 WR position. Maybe Dallas would think that Bradford's veteran presence & Wells potential would be worth the trade. It's worth a shot.

I believe that Bryant would be our #2 WR & Gaffney would make a great slot receiver. AJ, Bryant, Gaffney, & whatever TE emerges would make for an enviable starting receiving lineup. Throw in DD, a fully recovered Hollings, & a much improved OL, & this offense could be the envy of the league. Or, at least in the upper echelon of teams.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm ready for some real football. :popcorn:

texan279 said:
I just got done poking around on the net, and from what I read everywhere, Bryant is not going anywhere, he is just laying low for a few days to let tempers cool down....

Nope...
This in from profootballtalk and Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

"Others think that Bryant's days in Dallas indeed are numbered. We reported on Thursday that the Cowboys are receiving trade inquiries, and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram confirms that the team is indeed fielding trade offers for the third-year receiver."

Hottoddie said:
Would you trade Bradford for Bryant? How about Bradford/Wells for Bryant? In my opinion, Bradford drops too many drive killing 3rd down passes. That's why Gaffney beat him out for the #2 WR position. Maybe Dallas would think that Bradford's veteran presence & Wells potential would be worth the trade. It's worth a shot.
The question is not what we will do, but what the Cowboys would do. If dont want Bradford because of drops, why would the Boys? Veteran presence? They have Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson to do that. And why would they want Wells for upside? They just drafted Julius Jones to be the featured back. If is was a player/player trade, I would think that the Cowboys would want Gaff over Bradford, and I dont want to give up Gaff.

More from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

A source confirmed the Cowboys have been fielding offers from teams interested in trading for Bryant. And while Schaffer said neither Parcells nor Cowboys owner Jerry Jones mentioned trading or releasing Bryant during talks Wednesday, Schaffer admits he has not spoken with them since and further talks about Bryant's future have not been scheduled.

Schaffer also denied published reports that Jones had assured him Bryant would be back with the Cowboys.

"I couldn't tell you how it will play out," Schaffer said. "If they want to trade him, they can. If they want to release him, they can. We are not going to ask for those things, but we have no control over that if they do."

The Cowboys are certainly in better position to handle life without Bryant than they were 24 hours ago.

I thought the Texans wanted to stay away from "problem" players.

I don't have any doubts that if Coach Parcells considers him a problem to the betterment of the team he's gone.

My only question is why would the Texans want the headache?

He couldn't even crack their starting lineup.

Fiddy said:
The question is not what we will do, but what the Cowboys would do.

I agree that it's up to the Cowboys as to what they'll accept. The question was more a matter of would the Texans be willing to swap Bradford for Bryant, in spite of his alleged bad attitude?

Fiddy said:
If dont want Bradford because of drops, why would the Boys? Veteran presence? They have Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson to do that.

Bradford also catches a lot of balls. He has great speed to stretch the field, he makes the acrobatic catches, & he's a threat to break it for a TD every time he catches the ball (Wait a minute! Why would I want to trade him then? Oh yea, he drops a lot of drive killing 3rd down passes). Yes, they've got Glenn, but the reports I'm hearing are that Keyshawn hasn't shown a lot yet. I'm sure things will change when they report to training camp, but maybe Parcells would want to add some insurance, just in case. Or, maybe nothing will happen. In any event, I suspect that Dallas is going to want more than just a 3rd round draft pick.

Fiddy said:
And why would they want Wells for upside? They just drafted Julius Jones to be the featured back. If is was a player/player trade, I would think that the Cowboys would want Gaff over Bradford, and I dont want to give up Gaff.

Jones has never taken a snap in a real NFL game. There's no guarantee that he'll even be able to compete on the NFL level. Wells needs some work on his techniques, but he has the potential. He's also got the size to play FB. Maybe, Dallas would be looking to groom him to take over for the aging Richie Anderson.

Shoot, I have no idea what's going to happen. However, if we can get Bryant, & he gets his attitude right, that would mean we can use our #1 pick next year on some youth for our DL, or another CB to eventually replace Glenn.

Hottoddie said:
Bradford also catches a lot of balls. He has great speed to stretch the field, he makes the acrobatic catches, & he's a threat to break it for a TD every time he catches the ball (Wait a minute! Why would I want to trade him then? Oh yea, he drops a lot of drive killing 3rd down passes).
Bradford and Gaff only dropped one pass each last year (someone put that stat in another thread), so I dont see how he drops a lot of 3rd down passes. He is a great homerun threat and thats why I would hate to let him go.
Hottoddie said:
Jones has never taken a snap in a real NFL game. There's no guarantee that he'll even be able to compete on the NFL level. Wells needs some work on his techniques, but he has the potential. He's also got the size to play FB. Maybe, Dallas would be looking to groom him to take over for the aging Richie Anderson.
Wells average 2.9 yards per carry his rookie year, now I know that is behind a pitiful line, but that is horrible and that also means that he is unproven. Wells doesnt see the hole well, dancing too much for a guy his size, and never seems to fall forward. And Wells may have the size to play FB, but doesnt have the physical mentality.

Fiddy said:
Bradford and Gaff only dropped one pass each last year (someone put that stat in another thread), so I dont see how he drops a lot of 3rd down passes. He is a great homerun threat and thats why I would hate to let him go.

I'm not talking about Gaffney. Gaff did a great job. I'm talking about Bradford. I don't know where they're getting their stats, but I saw Bradford drop several key passes that were right in his hands & some that were within his reach. Why else would the coaches put a slower guy (Gaffney) ahead of him on the depth charts?

Fiddy said:
Wells average 2.9 yards per carry his rookie year, now I know that is behind a pitiful line, but that is horrible and that also means that he is unproven. Wells doesnt see the hole well, dancing too much for a guy his size, and never seems to fall forward. And Wells may have the size to play FB, but doesnt have the physical mentality.

I agree with most of what you say about Wells, but (as you said) he played behind one of the worst lines in the history of the NFL. Yes, he is unproven, but that's why I said, maybe, they'd be interested in him for his potential. After all, it's not exactly like Dallas has a stable full of quality RB's. I think Wells could be a more than servicable RB behind a solid OL.

Back