Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time Capsule: Carr's scouting report before the draft

Sounds to me like Kubiak just holding the party line after the interview....saying what he would think his new boss would want to hear. I doubt there's any more to it.

Kubiak does the play calling in Denver. Shanahan and the players have all said it. He calls the plays and Shan has final word. Shan also calls 4th down plays.

Plummer has also been quoted as saying Kubes is who worked with him

Hardcore Texan said:
If so, then everyone that is Pro-Kubiak should be willing to give him time to work with Carr.

Kubiak's comment from his press briefing:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2333

(on David Carr) “I think, first off, he’s got tremendous ability. We all know he’s a great kid. Those are two things that you can’t ask for anything more. But then you’ve got to go to work. He’d be a joy to work with. He’s got some weapons around him to help make him better. Through a lot of hard work, there’s another level there for him to reach. But you couldn’t ask for a better kid to work with.”

Unless you think he is just blowing hot air for PR purposes shouldn't the Carr haters be a little less cutthroat since Kubiak thinks Carr has another level to reach? Unless they are better evaluators of talent than Kubiak.

Most (not all) posters are happy with Kubiak being the next HC (unofficially of course). So we should take him at his word and see what kind of results he can get out of Carr.

I guess if anyone out there is Anti-Kubiak and Anti-Carr, then you might want Carr gone regardless.

I agree with everything Kubiak said.... Carr's got talent... So does Aaron Brooks, so does Joey Harrington, So does Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, John Kitna, etc.....

Sure Carr would be fun to work with...... pay me 1.5 million, and I'll enjoy working with TonyBanks.(what can I say, I'm cheap):homer:

And we know he's got weapons.

But he's a great kid........ not a strong leader...... great kid.

This has nothing to do with the Draft... has nothing to do with the prospect of Vince Young, and says nothing about what our QB situation is going to be next year.

I've been saying David is going to be a great QB on someone else's team. I think cutting him will be the catalyst that turns him around.

SBTexans08 said:
Elway took far more than 7 years to finally win the Super Bowl. Patience is key.

Sigh. First we compared David Carr to Peyton Manning. Now we're comparing him to one of the greatest football players of all time, a first-ballot hall of famer? Color me befuddled.

And Elway was considered one of the greatest ever before he won a Super Bowl. And in his fourth year, he led the Broncos to a comeback to win the AFC Championship.

I think 4 years is more than enough patience. I'd have been willing to give Carr the 5th year if there had been an option for just one more year instead of 2 or 3. But the way things are structured, his time is up for me.

thunderkyss said:
I agree with everything Kubiak said.... Carr's got talent... So does Aaron Brooks, so does Joey Harrington, So does Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, John Kitna, etc.....

Sure Carr would be fun to work with...... pay me 1.5 million, and I'll enjoy working with TonyBanks.(what can I say, I'm cheap):homer:

And we know he's got weapons.

But he's a great kid........ not a strong leader...... great kid.

This has nothing to do with the Draft... has nothing to do with the prospect of Vince Young, and says nothing about what our QB situation is going to be next year.

I've been saying David is going to be a great QB on someone else's team. I think cutting him will be the catalyst that turns him around.

What I find interesting is he is referring to him as a Kid, not a young adult nor an adult. Sounds to me like more of the same as in Capers. We need someone with maturity to make this team feel like they are a group of adults who can accomplish something and looks to gain their respect and input into what is wrong with this ball club. You see PM on the sideline involved in the decision making process. I would hope Carr is old enough to be called a man. The same is true of AJ, Gaffny, Mathis or any other player on this ball club.

I was listening to Charlie Palillo yesterday and he had what I thought was a very good analogy .... he said that the Texans hired Carr and set him to work as a hospital would hire a neuro-surgeon and give him a butcher knife and ask him to operate ... or something to that effect .... anyway I don't always agree with the guy but even the biggest Carr hater couldn't completely disagree with that analogy .... but then again who knows?

Hulk75 said:
What is funny is that Jake had nothing to do with himself getting better?:spy:
The one thing he DID have to do was get to a different team. Do you think Denny Green could've ressurrected his career with being new in town and all the hiring and other things he had going on. If your answer is no, then there is no way Kubes will be able to do it right away (it'd take 3 years) cuz he's never been a coach before, Green has. On top of that tthe cordinators we get will pobably will will former line coaches themselves and they'll go through a learning curve and on top of that it'll be the first year these 3 spend together with their new positions, promotion from old position, new team, etc......

Carr will succeed when and if he goes to a different team that has leadership squarely in place.

TreWardTxn said:
Shannahan it seems does do the bulk of the play calling and shares game-planning responisbility with Kubiak.

According to John McClain (OK don't shoot the messenger here), Shannahan only calls plays on 4th down. Weird, but apparently he is following along his sheet while Kubiak is making the calls. McClain says he verified this with Denver folks during the playoff game after the atrocious 4th and Goal call made by Denver. I think he wanted to make sure (as do I) that Kubiak didn't call for the fade route to the corner on 4th and Goal from the 2.

I am a Texan fan first and formost. I do not like the way the team plays at times but it is my team. I do think there needs to be changes, but as long as they are on the team lets use facts and not opinions about the players. facst are like $#@holes we all have one. I think Young and bush are great players that can help us, I do not belive Bush is a everydown back and I think Young need a few years to get ready. So each have thier upside and down side. Don't bash the current players to justify drafting either, let ther abilities be the determining factor. P.S We need OL and DL morre than both positions but they are too good to pass up IMHO.

sangien said:
Don't bash the current players to justify drafting either, let ther abilities be the determining factor. P.S We need OL and DL morre than both positions but they are too good to pass up IMHO.

Because of the pending option deadline, there was going be intense David Carr discussion during the early part of the offseason regardless of the draft.

Napa Auto Parts said:
Well that just shows how even the scouts go wrong we all knew carr would never make it in the NFL for the love of Life David isnt even the best QB to come out of fresno state and that is a sad thing to say. david is what you can really call a product of the system that had no chance in the NFL ala akili smith heath shuler tim couch. may be carr would of had a chance if he went to and established team to late now we wont ever know the kid is shot in the head. i just hope we can get something for him in a trade.
and i guess we will never know how u would have done as a writer because u couldnt make it because u never use any kind of punctuation i can't belive u turned that whole statement into just three sentences man i wish people would stop being @$$holes and stop being so negative we are stuck with him and so maybe we should talk about his strengths he is 26 for gosh sakes so he lost his cool a couple of times Bret Farve lost his in a game but no one said anything and hes one of the best ever in most peoples opinions man i wish i could use a comma but it had a bad year so i kicked it off the keyboard i guess ill just draft a younger one that costs 10 million dollars.:soapbox:

thegr8fan said:
this conversation is revealing in more ways than one. Biggest one to me, or in the form of a question, when does DC get to grow up and come out and play with the big boys? KID??? Is Kubiak talking about juvenile in attitude, development, potential attainment? Surely he can't be calling a 25+ yr. old MAN a kid, can he?

I'm with Kaiser on his reply. This is a Houston native, HC potential, candidate playing the correct cards during a POTENTIAL job interview. What did anyone expect him to say about DC, who is KNOWN to be a Bob McNair favorite KID.

exactly

Geeezzz, all this parsing of words and assigning of personal interpretations so that it fits the intrepeters wants an desires is rediculouse. Kubiak is in his 40s and to him someone in thier 20s is VERY likely thought of and refered to as a kid and that is all that it probebly is. There isn't some underlying subliminal message to the world about how he thinks about Carr.

Big78 said:
and i guess we will never know how u would have done as a writer because u couldnt make it because u never use any kind of punctuation i can't belive u turned that whole statement into just three sentences man i wish people would stop being @$$holes and stop being so negative we are stuck with him and so maybe we should talk about his strengths he is 26 for gosh sakes so he lost his cool a couple of times Bret Farve lost his in a game but no one said anything and hes one of the best ever in most peoples opinions man i wish i could use a comma but it had a bad year so i kicked it off the keyboard i guess ill just draft a younger one that costs 10 million dollars.:soapbox:

That's one thing right their, one reason that we get this right, right now. We are not stuck with him, not now. As of today, we owe Carr nothing.. If we let him go, he walks. we owe him nothing.

Will David do better in another season, with a new coach, with a new OC, a new system?? We Honestly don't know. He should, but Joey Harrington should have got it done in Detroit. Ryan Leaf should have done it in SanDiego, or at least get the back up job in Dallas. He might do well, he might not. Should we pay him his salary this year?? Probably $3million + an $8million dollar bonus.
Or should we draft another prospect who may do just as well as Carr in the new system, and in the long run..... way better than your wildest Carr wet dream.

and it's not just one bad season. It's one good season out of four...

here is a 2001 scouting report

Date: Dec 29, 2001

SEPTEMBER SCOUTING REPORT

David Carr Fresno St 5Sr 6-3/230/4.85 #8

The Good: Nice sized passer effective in a variety of offensive schemes. Quick setting up in the pocket with good ball placement, shows decent footwork and patient, buying time for his receivers. Scans the field, goes through receiver progressions and has a nice sense of where his wide outs are. Quick setting and throwing off a three step drop. Nice overall release and arm strength; short and intermediate passes have zip, puts his deep passes out in front of wide outs and his throws immediately get to the intended target. Hits receivers in stride. Intelligent; does well with his reads, takes what the defense gives him and does not force his throws or make bad decisions. Stands in the pocket and takes a hit in order to get the throw off or gets to the outside and throws with proper mechanics on the move, losing nothing on his passes.

The Bad: Not always poised under pressure, does a lot of throwing off his back-foot or steps out of his throws. Places his passes nicely but lacks the pinpoint accuracy and must put more air under his deep throws.

The Skinny: Off to a blazing start in 2001 and could move way up the charts into the middle third of the initial round.
http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/30843.html

Big78 said:

Wrong we are not stuck with him should we make the same mistakes the browns did by picking Tim Couchs Option on his contract. just to cut him the next season we have all the makings for that and then it would really hurt us cap wise i just wish we had a time machine. so we could go back and draft Peppers instead of our Lemon. oh and here.,.;:'"'".,';< i hope thats enough :)

Matt Hasselbeck was on PTI today praising Julius Peppers, calling him the best player in the NFL. :stirpot:

Tulip said:
Matt Hasselbeck was on PTI today praising Julius Peppers, calling him the best player in the NFL. :stirpot:

Best player in the NFL? Not sure about that one...Maybe Matt is just hoping Peppers gets wind of it and goes easy on him this weekend...:)

Back