Time Capsule: Carr's scouting report before the draft

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://espn.go.com/ncf/seniorbowl/carr.html

wow.. I need to find out what they said about other players.. I am not sure who did the scouting report and how reliable they were.. Makes me wonder.. Has the Texan ex-coaching staff ruined him or was the NFL just "too fast"

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

lol:

*edit* funny because for 4 years I thought Carr escaped pretty well

Hardcore Texan likes this.
  3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Wow. Good Stuff. It should give the team/fans some hope. You pose a good question, I think he will thrive under Kubiak.

4. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

I think his ability and quickness were kept in check a big part of the season. Hopefully we'll see more of that next season w/ Carr. The Texans need to Woosah or something.

5. TexansMVP

TexansMVP Probowler

Nice find on the article.

6. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

he hasn't improved on this MUCH in 4 years of playing. He did improve last year, slightly, IMHO, but not enough to say he was good at it, though. He also doesn't realize that a blocking TE, not know for his catching ability does not get the same hard, over the head area, speed ball, on a short pass as a WR or DD might. QB's have to adjust for the player somewhat and Carr doesn't do that well at all, IMHO.

this is probably the most accurate statement I have seen to date on Carr and his ability overall.

7. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Character : Solid. Married with a child. He's a leader.

This is the line I thought was the funniest. Just hasn't shown any of this ability yet.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

except that he has 2 kids now :lol:

9. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

He has shown a lot of leadership qualities. He makes plays when most couldnt. He has willed our team to first downs and some victories. He gets up after each hit and demonstrates the willingness to move through adversity. He is quite a leader. He is just on a bad team, and coached by a very poor staff.

10. pskinny

pskinny Veteran

11. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I agree, and thus we do not need VY

12. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

Well that just shows how even the scouts go wrong we all knew carr would never make it in the NFL for the love of Life David isnt even the best QB to come out of fresno state and that is a sad thing to say. david is what you can really call a product of the system that had no chance in the NFL ala akili smith heath shuler tim couch. may be carr would of had a chance if he went to and established team to late now we wont ever know the kid is shot in the head. i just hope we can get something for him in a trade.

13. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Yep, running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss and a sack are really great plays.

Who cares about first downs and 2 victories last year. I am impressed!

He's tuff, I'll give him that one. But, Its how you react to adversity that makes you great. You either step up to the challenge or you fall back. Since Carr regressed this year, I'd say he didn't do so well in the leadership category. Also, given how much he gets paid, anyone would stick around for a paycheck. Just because he didn't quit the team doesn't mean he performed well under adversity.

Yep, David is quite a leader

14. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

:redtowel:

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I understand what you are saying but If it weren't for the "system" in college.. could you not agree that Capers "system" wasn't fitting Carr's style in the pros? I am not saying Kubiak (by reports are he is our coach) can turn things around (I hope he can) for David, but I'd like to see a coach show some confidence in his QB and a QB (along with the team) have confidence in their coach... (mind what the players said off the field, it didn't look like it on the field on both sides of the ball)

16. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

lol: :neener:

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

my thing is scouting report (and yes they can be wrong) is Carr had a future

Is it the game is too fast for him or did the Texan ex-coaches and the whole philosophy just ruin him?

What I see out of Carr is he can make pretty much every throw yet reading defenses he either can't or he just hasn't had enough blocking up front to allow him to let the game slow down for him.. he still watches the rush in the pocket (not to blame him) instead of going to the next level and looking downfield and "feeling" the rush.

18. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

Two Words: Pass Protection.

Carr has what it takes, but because of poor coaching, bad schemes, bad luck(Tony Boselli), indecisiveness from coaches, all this has made him look bad.

I am telling you right now. If we let this kid go, he is going to pull a Steve Young and go to another team and lead them to the promise land over and over again, on his way to the Hall of Fame. All he needs is a season of good pass protection to get his confidence back.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Scouting Reports, just like newspaper headlines are written to sale papers & magazines. Let's take a look at othe ESPN.com scouting reports, and see if they hit the mark or not. I wonder what they had on Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith, even Drew Brees and Eli Manning.

The media machine gets going on these guys, and just like you have people on this forum writing their ideas, their delusions in the form of posts, so to you have these analyst...... except they get paid to do it.

For this to have any meaning, we need to know who wrote it, and what their track history is.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Soooo, that applys to all the Vince hypers also, correct?