Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Dude, turn it to ESPN. These dude are in slumber since Aso isn't going to NYJ. Wow!!!
What I hated was how when we went with Joseph, NFL Network and ESPN talked more about how NYJ were the front runners etc... instead of talking about how Joseph helps our team like they were doing for everyone else's transactions.

Nice since I kind of enjoy watching the Eagles. They are LOADED at the CB position.

Nnamdi
Asante
DRC

Ridiculous........

Rick Smith looks like a ****ing genius right now!:fans:

Agreed! So glad we chose the path we did, what a strange strange disaster. I like how the Jets restructured everybody and their brother to afford him, meaning now all their cap is 11.5 million below the cap....there's no turning that back in.

The Jets board is hilarious! Suck it Jets! All that trash talking and arrogance and now it blows up in their faces. In a way I thank Nnamdi for making the work week short and exciting. It was crazy while it lasted and I think the Texans came out fine. It would've been awesome if we got him, but we filled two major holes with a couple of very good players. Now the Jets have to go back to Cromartie and possibly even Braylon Edwards and overpay to keep those guys.

Dude, turn it to ESPN. These dude are in slumber since Aso isn't going to NYJ. Wow!!!
What I hated was how when we went with Joseph, NFL Network and ESPN talked more about how NYJ were the front runners etc... instead of talking about how Joseph helps our team like they were doing for everyone else's transactions.

I really haven't seen jack crap about JJ signing with us.

Namby was never coming to Houston.

I can tell you with certainty that it was a real possibility and that the interest was mutual.

I just wonder at what point that talks broke down .... I doubt now , looking at 5 years $60m that is was just about the total amount but the fact that the Texans could strike a lesser deal with JJ and add Manning in the process.

The Jets board is hilarious! Suck it Jets! All that trash talking and arrogance and now it blows up in their faces. In a way I thank Nnamdi for making the work week short and exciting. It was crazy while it lasted and I think the Texans came out fine. It would've been awesome if we got him, but we filled two major holes with a couple of very good players. Now the Jets have to go back to Cromartie and possibly even Braylon Edwards and overpay to keep those guys.

They are actually mad because Nnamdi's deal suggests that he thought the Eagles were the better team...and he would be right.

The Eagles have weapons on defense AND offense...and they have a pretty good QB.

It will be hilarious if they can't re-sign Cromartie. That dude will want money and maybe he's a little angry they passed him over at first and he's their backup plan.

Agreed! So glad we chose the path we did, what a strange strange disaster. I like how the Jets restructured everybody and their brother to afford him, meaning now all their cap is 11.5 million below the cap....there's no turning that back in.

Rex Ryan: "Antoniooooooooo!! We love and need you baby!!"

Antonio Cromrtie: "Gimme 80% of your highest offer to Nnamdi."

Rex: "FFUUUUUUUUUU*****CCCCCKKKKKK"

Wow, just saw he went to Philly. Great news, IMO. Doesn't go to the Jets and he's out of the AFC.

This makes the Iggles really solid on the back end ..... The only time this would affect the Texans is should they meet in the Superbowl.

Probably the best outcome outside of him landing in Houston as far as the Texans are concerned.

They are actually mad because Nnamdi's deal suggests that he thought the Eagles were the better team...and he would be right.

The Eagles have weapons on defense AND offense...and they have a pretty good QB.

It will be hilarious if they can't re-sign Cromartie. That dude will want money and maybe he's a little angry they passed him over at first and he's their backup plan.

No doubt. That team is going to be hell to face. With Vick getting his mojo back it's tough to gameplan against them. And now you can forget about throwing the football against that super aggressive defense that the Eagles run. Goodluck to the rest of the teams in the NFC East. Tony Romo must have a very bad taste in his mouth...

I really haven't seen jack crap about JJ signing with us.

rotoworld:

Texans agreed to terms with CB Johnathan Joseph on a five-year, $48.75 million contract, including a $12.5 million signing bonus.
Joseph cashes in with $23.5 million guaranteed. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets are now in the driver's seat for Nnamdi Asomugha. The Texans doggedly pursued both of the market's top cornerbacks, and did well to win one of the sweepstakes to shore up what was arguably the league's worst secondary in 2010. Joseph is still in his prime at age 27, has flashed shut-down potential in Cincinnati and has ball skills at least on par with Asomugha's. Coordinator Wade Phillips has turned defenses around quickly in the past, and he just landed a key piece to make it happen in Houston.

ESPN:

The Texans got their second secondary addition in two days, adding Chicago free-agent safety Danieal Manning with a four-year, $20 million deal that includes $9 million guaranteed, according to Mark Berman.

With corner Johnathan Joseph and Manning now part of a secondary that allowed 267.5 passing yards a game in 2010, things should settle down substantially on the back end in a new 3-4 scheme.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3693/johnathan-joseph
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25701/joseph-manning-solidify-texans-dbs

Edit: don't think I understood what you meant...

Lance Zierlein says Asante is gone with this signing. Dunno the Eagles situation but that's a lot of money to invest in the CB position.

Lance Zierlein says Asante is gone with this signing. Dunno the Eagles situation but that's a lot of money to invest in the CB position.

I have this scary feeling he goes back to the Patriots.......for a box of donuts and a photo of the superbowl trophy. AAAAAHHH!!!!

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Nnamdi deal: 5 yrs, 60 million, 25m gtd.

Sheeeeeeet, that's cheap compared to what the Texans offered.

Do we know what the Texans offered? I'd love to find that out...

The $12million/year looks (relatively!) cheap to me, also. It's at the low end of all the numbers I heard being thrown around. It's also not all that much more than we ended up paying for Joseph ($9.75M/yr), and is less than what we're paying Joseph+Manning ($14.75M/yr). I wonder if Aso ended up losing money by waiting too long to decide...

The $12million/year looks (relatively!) cheap to me, also. It's at the low end of all the numbers I heard being thrown around. It's also not all that much more than we ended up paying for Joseph ($9.75M/yr), and is less than what we're paying Joseph+Manning ($14.75M/yr). I wonder if Aso ended up losing money by waiting too long to decide...

Reports were 12-15 million was being offered by the Texans, and the Jets were offering the same deal as Revis, which was 11.5 million a year. Reports only, but probably near the truth. I think it's safe to say we were offering closer to 14 million a year over 5 years.

I can tell you with certainty that it was a real possibility and that the interest was mutual.

I just wonder at what point that talks broke down .... I doubt now , looking at 5 years $60m that is was just about the total amount but the fact that the Texans could strike a lesser deal with JJ and add Manning in the process.

As good as Aso is he only plays a single position. I think the Texans set their sites on a top level CB and S. They probably had Aso as the #1 and JJ as the #2 CB and Weddle as the #1 Safety and Manning as the #2.

So they started with Weddle and Aso. Weddle turned down their offer to stay there. So the Texans knew they had to move on Manning and Aso was taking his own sweet time. So for an extra 8.75 total (7.5 in guaranteed cash) they got the second best Safety and second best CB. Not a bad deal, especially considering Weddle signed for twice what we signed Manning for. Weddle isn't twice as good as Manning.

Apparently Jerry Jones thought that it was a done deal, and the Cowboys had him. He left the field during practice to do a radio interview right after handing out a few fist bumps, and the hosts asked him what he thought about Asomugha going to Philadelphia, not knowing Jerry didn't know the news yet

From GAF. If true LMFAO!

Absolutely he did .... When the Texans moved on and signed Joseph he lost considerable leverage.

Dont yet know what they offered Namdi .... but Im sure we'll find out eventually.

The guaranteed money seems low .... His agent didnt get him the best deal but he did get him with a contender.

Quote:
Apparently Jerry Jones thought that it was a done deal, and the Cowboys had him. He left the field during practice to do a radio interview right after handing out a few fist bumps, and the hosts asked him what he thought about Asomugha going to Philadelphia, not knowing Jerry didn't know the news yet

From GAF. If true LMFAO!

I'd loved to be a fly on the wall and saw Skeletor's face. I bet a few wrinkles staightened up! :headhurts:

Yeah, I thought he would end up getting around $14 or 15 million per year. I'm guessing the Texans offered him more than $12 million so my guess would be that Nnamdi didn't have all that much interest in coming here. Make's Rick Smith's signing of Joseph even better.

Jerry, Jerry (shaking head)

Michael Lombardi
michaelombardi Michael Lombardi

I know some say Cowboys were not in it but Rex Ryan thought for sure his brother was and many in Oaktown thought Dallas. They were in it

1 hour ago

my thoughts..

so glad the Texans FO moved on. Eagles weren't mentioned at all through the whole thing by the media(tells you something) . It would be interesting to see how the Jets fans are imploding (they will get Cromartie so not all is lost)

Yeah, now it sucks that they can afford to grab Cullen Jenkins, Many Lawson, and any other pass rusher that might be out there.

:kitten:

I think Aso's agent cost him some bucks. Oh, well.

Aso's a rich man. I'm sure money is important, but it isn't everything.

Someone on this board said something about Aso being a possible Hall-of-Famer.

It ain't going to happen if he don't get on a team that starts winning.

If he had to choose between us & the Jets, that's a tough decision. You'd lean towards the Jets, but you have to wonder how long that's going to last. The Texans look like they're on the way up, but they've been looking that way for the last 4 years.

Dallas....... same as the Jets. Eagles....... now we're talking. Andy Reid's been there for what, a decade? That F.O. how long? They do things a certain way & have been for a long, long time, & it works for the most part.

We could offer him $15 million, Jets offer $11.5 million & he's got the Jets in the lead.

The Eagles offer $12.5 million, plus a real chance at immortality. It's a no-brainer.

plus he's out of the AFC, so :fans::fans:

Absolutely he did .... When the Texans moved on and signed Joseph he lost considerable leverage.

Dont yet know what they offered Namdi .... but Im sure we'll find out eventually.

The guaranteed money seems low .... His agent didnt get him the best deal but he did get him with a contender.

Depends on how you look at it.

Everyone knew we were going to throw big money at him. The Jets were the only ones with the gnads to put their "clout" against our green.

As soon as we bowed out, Dallas jumps in the race, the Eagles jumps in the race.

He was never coming to Houston, he just wanted us to get the money up. But when we were flashing our wallet, the only other contender was the Jets with a very good reason to keep the number at $11.4

We bow out, & Aso signs for $12.5 he made $1.1 because we dropped out.

So it depends on how you look at it.

Ok here is what happened.

I was listening to radio and the guys here in SA had a guy in training camp and they mentioned that Stephen and Jerry Jones pulled Rob Ryan out of an active practice to talk to someone on the phone. After that Stephen jones got back on the phone and after a while got off and him and old man started fist bumping and shaking hands with Garett. Meanwhile, we hear Jets are out on update and then announcers say Jets are out and that means Dallas got him they are celebrating on air that Cowboys got Namdi and then boom Sc Update and whammo Eagles get Namdi.I got out of car before I heard it but I saw it flash on my phone as I walk into Chuck E. Cheese .

Dont believe the Dallas spin that they withdrew...Eagles flat out stole Namdi from them..Jerry and his spawn dont fist bump and clap hands if the Eagles got him...i would have killed to see Jerry's face when he realized he got done by a rival.

I love that Cowboys and Jets fans are crushed.

As a Cowboy fan I can honestly say I'm not crushed. the rush for the hours today were fun but a large majority on the Cowboy board and talking to fans the last few months thought we wouldn't get him. They thought JJ would stick with Jenkins, Scandrick and resign Newman. Aso was a bonus if it happened. In a thread Monday I put their chances at 0% because of needing to resign Free. From what I read Dallas was never even really a challenge and didn't care that they were a smoke screen. They didn't have near the cash. though I read this

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=542743&feedID=3742

Jerry Jones stood on the sideline watching the Dallas Cowboys practice Friday, anxious to find out if he'd struck free-agent gold and landed Nnamdi Asomugha.

The Cowboys made a strong pitch for this year's most coveted free agent and felt good about their chances. At one point, Jones and his son, vice president Stephen Jones, finished a phone call and shared a fist bump. Another time, they called defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to the sideline, handing him a phone so he could talk -- presumably to Asomugha, his former protege in Oakland.

But when practice ended, the Cowboys learned they didn't get their man. Worse still for them, Asomugha went to division rival Philadelphia.

Jones was doing a radio interview with the team's flagship station at the time, and had a feeling things didn't go his way. He said he would be disappointed if that was the case, although his response probably was a lot stronger once he found out for sure.

"We had an opportunity, we acted on it -- and, believe me, we firmly acted on it, `til my eyes watered," Jones told 105.3 The Fan.

Last edited:
Ok lets see what Philadelphia have done so far.

1) Nnamdi Asomugha
2) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
3) Jason Babin
4) Johnnie Lee Higgins
5) Donald Lee
6) Vince Young
7) Hunter Pence ( I know )

I'm thriled with our offseason but looking at that list, I don't know what to say, the new Redskins maybe.

Back