Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Looks like we want to trade clowney:

This is a critical offseason for the Texans, as the Super Bowl window is wide open on offense thanks to Hopkins and Watson, but the defense is in decline. Watt turns 30 before next season, and with how hard he has pushed his body, Houston has to be prepared. Jadeveon Clowney is entering free agency after the season, and the Texans have not attempted to sign him to an extension. Around the league, there was talk that Houston had discussions about trading Clowney, and sources currently with the team did not deny that when I asked. They also did not deny that Houston would have jumped at a trade of Clowney for a package like the Raiders got for Khalil Mack.

If Clowney leaves in free agency, that is going to leave a massive hole in the Houston defense. He carried the defense to the No. 1 ranking in the NFL in 2016 when Watt was out for the year after the third game, but the Texans may not be able to spend what it would take to retain Clowney. Due to some mismanagement last offseason by Gains and O'Brien, none of the team's big needs of the offensive line, secondary, or running back were resolved.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019mmd_16.php#4WkLF5GOTecbO3ZR.99

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019mmd_16.php

Walter Football is GOING IN on OBrien and Gaine wow ... It's not the reality of the information, but the delivery that kind of raises my eyebrows.

Walter Football is GOING IN on OBrien and Gaine wow ... It's not the reality of the information, but the delivery that kind of raises my eyebrows.

Charlie Campbell showing himself out as an OB hater, who knows if all his info is correct... but yeah semi-bold move on his part

He's not alone it seems

edit: first comment is right on methinks

by Blue Carrot
I gotta say I wanted the Texans to fire O'Brien and still do but I have to say this sounds like a hit piece written by someone whose main contacts were with the Smith regime and now that the O'Brien regime is in charge and not giving access the writing feels slanted. I mean in his own words the writer states that O'Brien wanted Mahomes over Watson, which seems like a positive given that Mahomes is likely to win MVP. I agree with the sentiment that O'Brien probably should have been fired by now but at least try and hide the fact that the O'Brien organization has not given the writer all the inside access he want. And yes I know the writer got some inside info to base off of in this article but it seems pretty obvious it was from the remnants of the Smith regime the writer still has contact with.

Last edited:
Charlie Campbell showing himself out as an OB hater, who knows if all his info is correct... but yeah semi-bold move on his part

He's not alone it seems

edit: first comment is right on methinks

by Blue Carrot
If you check Walter's mock draft, there is plenty of O'Brien hate there, also. Kind of undermines their credibility when it is that blatant, I think.

Ian Rapoport disputes Walter Footballs take on the Watson/OBrien saga:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1077621327215947777

That part about Watson is extremely false. This is based on conversations with O’Brien before the draft.

who do you believe most? A group of jilted scouts or one of the authorities on personnel movement in the NFL? Who looks the happiest at the time of the selection?

happygm.jpg

At the time I said Ricky had final say in draft picks.

This picture should confirm this, but to many it wont.

Thank God Rick Smith overruled or went rogue or whatever bullshit excuse is made for him selecting Deshaun Watson. That pick will be more important than anything Gaine will ever do while #4 is at the helm.

Doubt most people would accept their entire thoughts on a subject boiled down to one single still frame image..

true enough, but you can garner a fairly educated guess on the mood in that room and who was or wasnt in a general good mood about the pick, especially so close to selection. I wish I could find the image of the room after the selection.

Thank God Rick Smith overruled or went rogue or whatever bullshit excuse is made for him selecting Deshaun Watson. That pick will be more important than anything Gaine will ever do while #4 is at the helm.

Ricky didn't go rogue, he made the final call on draft picks, which was his job. Funny how even though the Watson pick was a franchise changer, Ricky got let go by his godson's dad. That should tell you plenty.

Agreed, and I hope your wrong about Gaine. I hope he makes many more picks as good as the Watson pick.

Ricky didn't go rogue, he made the final call on draft picks, which was his job. Funny how even though the Watson pick was a franchise changer, Ricky got let go by his godson's dad. That should tell you plenty.

Agreed, and I hope your wrong about Gaine. I hope he makes many more picks as good as the Watson pick.

a good start would be hitting on late round draft picks in the same manner you expected Rick Smith to do so. Reid is the only player from last years draft that looks anything like an NFL player, whats the excuse? First draft jitters or some other BS?

Kind of agree with overall points but I think we hit big on the TEs and they are underutilized.

Fair enough, but that would lead to another hyper sensitive discussion around here as to why those players have been relegated to spot duty. Lord knows I better not say anything about OBrien being the one responsible for those decisions because it could cause the server to blow up.

And on Eliofor (sp?)

He's shown flashes, but without consistent playing time how can he really be a + player? Why is he not hitting the field more if Gaine/OBrien were so aligned on these selections? Its not like the defense couldnt use some extra pass rushers right now, hell I'd say they are desperate for a pass rush and still Ejiofor cant see the field with his last snap played coming on 11/4 when he went out with a shoulder injury, and recently has been a healthy scratch from games. :shrug:

He's shown flashes, but without consistent playing time how can he really be a + player? Why is he not hitting the field more if Gaine/OBrien were so aligned on these selections? Its not like the defense couldnt use some extra pass rushers right now, hell I'd say they are desperate for a pass rush and still Ejiofor cant see the field with his last snap played coming on 11/4 when he went out with a shoulder injury, and recently has been a healthy scratch from games. :shrug:

You always judge players by coaches actions and rookie years?

You always judge players by coaches actions and rookie years?

So I should judge Ejiofor on his 5 tackles and 1 sack all year instead? It would be a fairly fast and easy assessment if production was the only variable. I try and look past that, but sadly the kid hasnt been given much playing time to solidify an opinion either way. Not his fault.

Fair enough, but that would lead to another hyper sensitive discussion around here as to why those players have been relegated to spot duty. Lord knows I better not say anything about OBrien being the one responsible for those decisions because it could cause the server to blow up.

I think Ricky took the TE playbook to stick it to BO'b one more time.

I didn't know that was ever in question. Did someone argue that BO'b had the final say?

Rick selected the players. BO'b selected the roster. Same way it was with Kubiak.

Steelb acts like final say means nobody else was in the room.

It's just stupid really. I've sat in too many conference rooms and made a suggestion counter to the boss and then the boss said OK. Sure he had final say. I still bore responsiblity. Everyone in the room went "that's on him." Steeb wants to absolve Kubiak/OB (well not Kubiak just OB) and say it's all on Smith.

Since steelb has seen prone to use my profession against me...he is a small business owner, and kudos for his success, but he isn't used to boardrooms that exceed the employees in his company. That's what an NFL draftroom looks like. Packed lecture room because a traditional boardroom seating 30 wouldn't be enough.

It's all a filter. Logic tells you an offensive minded HC is not going to tell his DC which LB to cut. Logic tells you a DB GM is not going to override an offensive HC on O. As a general matter.

Whatever. You Smith sucks folks can absolve OB's coaching by saying Gaines sucks down the road.

It's just stupid really. I've sat in too many conference rooms and made a suggestion counter to the boss and then the boss said OK. Sure he had final say. I still bore responsiblity. Everyone in the room went "that's on him." Steeb wants to absolve Kubiak/OB (well not Kubiak just OB) and say it's all on Smith.

Since steelb has seen prone to use my profession against me...he is a small business owner, and kudos for his success, but he isn't used to boardrooms that exceed the employees in his company. That's what an NFL draftroom looks like. Packed lecture room because a traditional boardroom seating 30 wouldn't be enough.

It's all a filter. Logic tells you an offensive minded HC is not going to tell his DC which LB to cut. Logic tells you a DB GM is not going to override an offensive HC on O. As a general matter.

Whatever. You Smith sucks folks can absolve OB's coaching by saying Gaines sucks down the road.
I've lived my professional life in an arena where one individual is responsible for a particular call. I'm an electrical commissioning engineer. NOTHING gets energized w/o my approval. Unless it gets over-ridden with a signature. That signature superseded my authority and transferred any blame to that individual. I've stopped the energization of many pieces of major equipment because I wasn't comfortable with test results. I've "cost" companies money in meeting milestones by ensuring they get paid for meeting reliability. Reliability beats in service date every single time.

I've lived my professional life in an arena where one individual is responsible for a particular call. I'm an electrical commissioning engineer. NOTHING gets energized w/o my approval. Unless it gets over-ridden with a signature. That signature superseded my authority and transferred any blame to that individual. I've stopped the energization of many pieces of major equipment because I wasn't comfortable with test results. I've "cost" companies money in meeting milestones by ensuring they get paid for meeting reliability. Reliability beats in service date every single time.

I'm not criticizing or advocating one structure or the other. Just saying both exist and people from one may not have the best perspective on judging the other. Not that they can't have an opinion. Just trying to point out different systems/perspectives.

An NFL draft is not the GM. It's months of scouting handed over to the coaches who then all walk in and create a board who then all (scouts, coaches, GM) fly off to a different room to argue somemore about the board and pick. Very rarely does the GM pull a 'fu@k all y'all, I'm taking him.'

So for example, absent a direct quote, I'm not buying we took sio for whatever X over a QB without OB's agreement. If anything, given McNair's prior statements, I think that was mostly OB and proof McNair doesn't often interfere.

There's alot of truth in this post, except the 1st line and the Kubiak/BOB lines.

Ricky trusted Kubiak and listened to him. There was no friction and Wade/Gibbs etc... gave suggestions on guys the liked at different positions. But Ricky made the final call. See: The Mario Williams draft that Ricky had nothing to do with vs Ricky's terrible oKoye draft.

I think after the 1st Ricky/BOB draft trust was lost between the 2. There was a QB BOB wanted and Ricky said he would be there at the top of the 3rd and they missed out on there QB. The Os situation which was a McNair/Ricky call exacerbated the rift between the 2. Aloso I just wanted to add if the boardroom setting you described was spot on dont you think some of the guys that made suggestions and should have had to own them would've been fired after the terrible 2010 season? That didn't happen and that was on Ricky's watch. Ever ask yourself why it didn't happen and I'm talking about the scouting and pro personnel guys. (Is Bobby Greir still employed down on Kirby?)

Bottom line for me is Kubiak/Smith were aligned and knew the type of players Kubiak wanted because they came from the same system. BOB/Ricky were never aligned and came from different systems so one was speaking French and the other was speaking German. This goes for the scouting staff also.

Now that Gaine has come in and he and BOB grew up in the same system I expect things to get alot better in regards to what I posted above.

My question is this if everything in your post is as you say it is, did both Kubiak and BOB tell Ricky we're fine at QB and not to use a high draft pick on one for 11 yrs? Maybe Ricky didn't listen to the HC's that he was aligned with.

Also if Ricky was just a victim of circumstance like some on here claim, do you really believe that McNair would've fired his grandsons godfather? Ricky was family to the McNair's.

49ers rumors: Bleacher Report suggests San Francisco should pursue Jadeveon Clowney in free agency
Houston Texans defensive star Jadeveon Clowney is presumed to be in talks with his current team in regards to a contract extension going forward. The speculation is that Clowney will be placed under a franchise tag and there most likely will not be any kind of long-term contract extension.

According to Maurice Moton of Bleacher Report, theSan Francisco 49ersshould place themselvesas the front-runners to make a move for Clowney as they are in desperate need of a pass rush.

“The 49ers will have a projected $59 million in cap space in 2019. They won’t have as much cash as the Colts, who can go all-in for Demarcus Lawrence if he hits the open market, but it’s enough to lure a proven commodity to San Francisco.”
https://clutchpoints.com/49ers-rumo...hould-pursue-jadeveon-clowney-in-free-agency/
I dunno what's the chances of the 49ers making a move on JD ? Gotta say 59 M greenbacks is a lot of cap space.
According to the current Draft order thy are #2 but obviously they aren't gonna part with the #2 overall for Clowney.

I dunno what's the chances of the 49ers making a move on JD ? Gotta say 59 M greenbacks is a lot of cap space.
According to the current Draft order thy are #2 but obviously they aren't gonna part with the #2 overall for Clowney.
The Niners were in on Mack before the Raiders sent him to Chicago. Obviously, their 2nd round pick would have to be in play to get Clowney. But is that enough? The Texans would just be creating a hole in their roster by moving Clowney. And San Fran could just use their #1 pick on an edge rusher, at a much reduced price. I don't see this deal happening.

49ers rumors: Bleacher Report suggests San Francisco should pursue Jadeveon Clowney in free agency
Houston Texans defensive star Jadeveon Clowney is presumed to be in talks with his current team in regards to a contract extension going forward. The speculation is that Clowney will be placed under a franchise tag and there most likely will not be any kind of long-term contract extension.

According to Maurice Moton of Bleacher Report, theSan Francisco 49ersshould place themselvesas the front-runners to make a move for Clowney as they are in desperate need of a pass rush.

“The 49ers will have a projected $59 million in cap space in 2019. They won’t have as much cash as the Colts, who can go all-in for Demarcus Lawrence if he hits the open market, but it’s enough to lure a proven commodity to San Francisco.”
https://clutchpoints.com/49ers-rumo...hould-pursue-jadeveon-clowney-in-free-agency/
That $59 million surprisingly doesn't go all that long a way when you have as many needs as the 49ers have.

Clowney hasn't been all that as an edge rusher, I don't think they would be all that interested in this deep defensive draft

Smith wasn't fired. When you can operate off that fact we can have a discussion.

Not fired is true. Gone and never coming back is also true. Call it what you want.

Do you think he's coming back to the org?

His wives cancer should be in remission by now. (Hopefully, thoughts and prayers to her.) If so he should be back on Kirby.

Could be that the McNair's kept the godfather of their Son/Grandson around for insurance personal reasons and are going to keep him far away from the football operations side of things.

As disliked as Ricky is in this community I could never see him as a community liaison guy for the Texans.

BTW, Where is Ricky living?

Do you think he's coming back to the org?

His wives cancer should be in remission by now. (Hopefully, thoughts and prayers to her.) If so he should be back on Kirby.

Could be that the McNair's kept the godfather of their Son/Grandson around for insurance personal reasons and are going to keep him far away from the football operations side of things.

As disliked as Ricky is in this community I could never see him as a community liaison guy for the Texans.

BTW, Where is Ricky living?

Read an interview a month or two ago. Believe they are still in California. Didn't mention remission. Didn't directly state it, but my impression was he was going to go thru this GM firing/hiring early part of the offseason to see if he has a market and then will make a decision. McNair said at the time they'd find something for him but were going to hire a GM.

Read an interview a month or two ago. Believe they are still in California. Didn't mention remission. Didn't directly state it, but my impression was he was going to go thru this GM firing/hiring early part of the offseason to see if he has a market and then will make a decision. McNair said at the time they'd find something for him but were going to hire a GM.

I read somewhere that RS will probably move to the NFL office. If he's back with the Texans it will be as VP of WTF? or vpfo is Cal decides he was right over OB, tho after this season, I don't think so

I read somewhere that RS will probably move to the NFL office. If he's back with the Texans it will be as VP of WTF? or vpfo is Cal decides he was right over OB, tho after this season, I don't think so

The NFL office is where a politician like Ricky would fit in real well.

Since 2012, Smith besides GM (which he no longer holds) had also held the position of Executive VP of Football Operations.............until only just recently, when his name was dropped from the official Texans Executive FO list altogether.

Last edited:
Since 2012, Smith besides GM (which he no longer holds) had also held the position of Executive VP of Football Operations.............until only just recently, when his name was dropped from the official Texans Executive FO list altogether.

Some people try to get there jollies splitting hairs.

Wow, 40k for that hit?

And that's right after Clowney was fined $20,000 the previous week for a roughing the passer penalty for his hit on Sam Darnold.

Of course, Clowney day last game wasn't as bad as Edelman's.

Mike Reiss‏Verified account@MikeReiss

Costly day for Patriots WR Julian Edelman last Sunday vs. Bills, as he was fined for three separate plays -- $10,026 for unnecessary roughness, $26,739 for unnecessary roughness & $26,739 for unnecessary roughness ($63,504 total).

1:49 PM - 29 Dec 2018

Last edited:
Back