Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I'm tired of seeing our Denver prodigy get out coached by any solid defensive guru and watch him not be able to get his team ready to play consistently.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Maddict5 said:
im also pissed that we took a beatdown at home yesterday. however the fact remains that we caught a team thats going to be very good on a day when they were in top form. not to mention they had a nice amount of luck with the near int's & recovering their own fumbles (aswell as brice nodding off for a play). it happens every week all over the nfl.

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived.
As far as the first point, yes we played a tough team, regardless of the posts last week stating the Jets would be easy. However, the Texans need to start regularly bearing good teams if they want to be playoff contenders. I don't like the "it was too hard" reasoning.

The second point is that the Texans will show up next week and show who they really are. If they beat the Titans they will be "great" again. The Texans have 3-4 of these games every year. The problem is, the Texans aren't just who they are in the second win. They are also the team that blew chunks the first game. That equates to "Texans Great" i.e. .500. In this case, the theoretical .500 record is making the huge, and rather unfounded, assumption the Texans beat the Titans next week.

JDizzle

I'm a dude
It's depressing to see them start off a season with a game like this.
For me it's just inexcusable. We may end up going 9-7 and miss the playoffs by a hair but we'll have a couple of losses like this to look back on and think, man if we would have showed up for that game we may have had a shot.

I wouldn't even be surprised if we take one in Tennessee next week. I'm not expecting it but it wouldn't surprise me. I know the team can play good enough to do it and that's what is so frustrating about losing like this. You've got the talent so what gives? Yup, you guessed it.

michaelm

vox nihili
Goldensilence said:
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

No way JJ comes out of retirement.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.
You beat me to this.
Marty Schottenheimer SHOULD be the next coach of this team. True, he can't seem to find a way to get a team over the hump to win a championship, but he knows the NFL. He knows how to build a team, perhaps as good as anyone in the league.
Marty would, at the very least, put a respectable team on the field within a short period of time.
His style might be boring, but there's no doubt that he could build a very good team in this town.

IMO, don't even think about Cower. He'll want to install a 3-4 defense, which would take a long time, and doesn't suit the skillset of Mario at all.
I just don't think you can bring in a coach that would basically scrap everything you have on D, including the best player. It would take several seasons to transition this team to a decent 3-4.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
You beat me to this.
Marty Schottenheimer SHOULD be the next coach of this team. True, he can't seem to find a way to get a team over the hump to win a championship, but he knows the NFL. He knows how to build a team, perhaps as good as anyone in the league.
Marty would, at the very least, put a respectable team on the field within a short period of time.
His style might be boring, but there's no doubt that he could build a very good team in this town.

IMO, don't even think about Cower. He'll want to install a 3-4 defense, which would take a long time, and doesn't suit the skillset of Mario at all.
I just don't think you can bring in a coach that would basically scrap everything you have on D, including the best player. It would take several seasons to transition this team to a decent 3-4.
I like Marty but he may be a little long in the tooth. He would be an improvement and he almost assuredly has a better network of coaches to pull from than Kubiak has proven to have. Marty would be fine with me in the end though.

Why not think about Cowher? is it because of his Carolina connection? i understand that and I would have Carolina as a favorite over Houston to secure his services, but the whole 4-3 v 3-4 question, just doesn't hold water.

Other teams have changed schemes and its not some huge evolution. Look at Green Bay last night. They ran a 4-3 last year and they brought in a proven commodity with proven track record of DC success (Capers) and they switched to 3-4. They didn't look too bad last night. Multiple sacks, big interception returns, and put pressure on Capers all last night. If a team like the Packers can do it, why not the Texans? It isn't that big of a change.

Lord knows our current scheme and talent aren't getting the job done.

I am not saying Cowher is coming to Houston, but to exclude ourselves from consideration because of a bunch of assumptions is a disservice to our team imho.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
Seriously, how bout you treat other peoples opinions with respect. We are all watching the same team here. You appear to be in denial to me.
I'm normally very optimistic, but it's the same thing every year. Feels great tosee Chris Brown have 3 carries for 15 yards, but never touch the field again. Slatton needed a road map to to the hole, but don't try anything else. WR not making plays, don't try another guy. Instead of interviewing serious canidates for DC, you hire your buddy and he gives up 500 yards in his 1st game. Same ****, different year. Doing one thing over and over and expecting different results is called insanity.

Fox

Rookie
The most damning snippet about the whole game was this line from Solomon's blog, if true...

"I asked Andre Johnson if he could see it coming, and he said he didn't want to answer that question."

If our best, franchise player thinks this staff is doing a poor job of preparing us to win then Kubiak is losing this team. Reminiscent of Capers' last year. :sigh:

GP

Go Texans!
The most damning snippet about the whole game was this line from Solomon's blog, if true...

"I asked Andre Johnson if he could see it coming, and he said he didn't want to answer that question."

If our best, franchise player thinks this staff is doing a poor job of preparing us to win then Kubiak is losing this team. Reminiscent of Capers' last year. :sigh:
AJ is probably the most cerebral guy on the whole team.

He does a good job of staying off the radar in terms of badmouthing the team to the media.

His on-field body language tells the whole story. And he speaks with subtle actions that are there if a person looks closely enough.

At this point, I really am sincere when I say that the guy's career is wasted here. A guy like THAT deserves better. And I will probably have to say the same thing about Mario in about 3 more years from now.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as
bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?
At what point do we start to compete agianst good team consistently. I don't care if we were scheduled a good team in week 1 at hone, I expect us to compete.

I can't continue to hear the same excuse and buy it. "They are a good team" isn't going to cut it anymore. We've had plenty of time to become a good team.

I slept on it and I still can't believe that game yesterday. I reflected a bit on our past and I think the nail in the coffin was Bart Scott telling it like it is and saying we are a finesse team. If I'm Bob McNair the only way Kubiak keeps his job is if he pulls 10-6 out of his hat. Nothing less. He gets to finish out the season regardless but if he doesn't find 10 wins I am going straight to Pete Carrol's door once the season is over and giving him whatever he wants. Money, complete control, you name it.

He had a rough start in the NFL (although 33-31 isn't terrible) but so did Belicheck. Anything Carrol touches turns to gold. Yes he can recruit the top guys but his top guys pan out and reach their potential at a comically high percentage. Hey, maybe after an offseason or two our teams could even be as tough as his recent teams.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/10/sports/sp-carroll10

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/02/sports/sp-farmer2

Goldensilence

hipster elite
I slept on it and I still can't believe that game yesterday. I reflected a bit on our past and I think the nail in the coffin was Bart Scott telling it like it is and saying we are a finesse team. If I'm Bob McNair the only way Kubiak keeps his job is if he pulls 10-6 out of his hat. Nothing less. He gets to finish out the season regardless but if he doesn't find 10 wins I am going straight to Pete Carrol's door once the season is over and giving him whatever he wants. Money, complete control, you name it.

He had a rough start in the NFL (although 33-31 isn't terrible) but so did Belicheck. Anything Carrol touches turns to gold. Yes he can recruit the top guys but his top guys pan out and reach their potential at a comically high percentage. Hey, maybe after an offseason or two our teams could even be as tough as his recent teams.

No thanks to Pete, I think he'd instill the same soft attitude. Of course he looks great at USC because he gets the best talent in the PAC 10. He'd be stupid to leave such a great gig.

Time for some Marty ball.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach

Carroll's too much of a "rah rah" guy for the NFL. His players never bought in to his coaching style when he was at the Patriots and Jets.

That style of coaching works great in college and that's why I'd expect him to stay there.

I think all that we can do at this point is to see who the candidates are at the end of the season. Maybe promote an intense guy like Kollar or Marciano as Interim HC.

Spike

Waterboy
If we make a move, you have to try to bring in more proven commodity. I don't really know, but I am not sure Capers had an overall winning record when he came to the Texans. Sure, he had experience with an expansion team, but I don't know that he had a proven track record.

I loved the Kubiak selection. This is a guy that had a long track record as an assistant and was a local guy. I think what we have seen from Kubes is that there is a big difference to being an offensive/ defensive coordinator and running the whole show. I wouldn't argue that he doesn't have a good football mind - but that doesn't make him a good head coach - game preparation (whether x's, o's or motivating players), clock management, adjustments have all been weaknesses that we have seen year in and year out. After last year's start, how does he not have the team ready for yesterday's game? If he can't do it this year, why do we expect him to be ready next year?

I think Kubes should be given credit for getting this thing turned around and making things respectable. However, there have been a lot of coaches who just didn't have what it took to get their teams that one additional step. It doesn't make him a bad guy, but some guys have it and some guys don't.

I don't think McNair can afford to wait any longer. He needs to go pay big money to someone who has a proven, winning record. We need a guy who will step up and get the respect of the players on the team, as well as a guy who free agents will want to play for.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I posted this in another thread, meant to post it here.

I blame
#1 Kubiack Because he is the head coach and ultimatly responsible. It all starts at the top.
#2 Shananhan because he didnt make any kind of adjustments throughout the game and it didnt appear Schaub was ready for all the blitzes which is the OC responsibility.
#3 Schaub for not recognizing what the defense was doing and making presnap adjustments. Change up the snap count, move the offense around in different formations, anything to make the defense think a little more and slow them down a little.

For all those who say it was just one week, I say SO WHAT! It was an unneceptible performance by a team that has supposed to be past that stage in their development. Yeh every team has a bad week here and there but cmon. That wasnt just a bad perfomance, it was an HORRIBLE, David Carr, Dom Capers, expansion team like performance.

I have seen many teams get shut out and beat by more than 20 points but not many were dominated like we were. The teams that do get dominated like that are the predominatly bad teams that we are supposed to be better than. I am no longer going to except being the Detroit Lions or the Cincinati Bengals. The time is now! We might not have the most talent in the leauge but we have enough talent to play better than what we seen Sunday.

If I were the owner I wouldnt fire Kubiack right now but I definatly let it be known that I will not allow this season to be wasted before I make such a decision. As a coach if youre team isnt playing up to the talent level or above you are not doing youre job and its not fair to the players or the fans to keep you around. Lets get this thing turned around right now or lets start over and give someone a headstart on next year so we dont waste 2 seasons.

Its just that simple!!!!!!!

Go Texans beat the Titans! Love Ya (steal) Blue!

C

Ckw

Man, I am depressed..... This might be the most depressed I have ever been as a Texans fan. I am really getting the feeling that Kubiak has got to go. Now before you jump on me and say I have been a Kubiak supporter, I will say you are correct. I am not saying we should fire Kubiak today. But if something doesn't change, I wouldn't be opposed to a mid-season change.

4 things stand out to me about Kubiak

1. He is arrogant enough to think that his offensive play calling is so stellar that the QB doesn't need to call audibles. I have asked this before, and I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this, but are there any other coaches that do this? What good QB in this league is not allowed to audible out of the play that is called?? Isn't Schaub supposed to be one of those good, intelligent QBs??
2. He is arrogant enough to think that we can run first pass second against a Rex Ryan defense.
3. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to believe that no adjustments need to be made because his offensive genius is superior to the defensive genius of a Rex Ryan. The game plan obviously wasn't working, so why did we come out in the 3rd and run the exact same game plan?!?!?
4. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to not utilize all of his weapons. Where the flying **** was James Casey?!? The guy looked incredible in the preseason and made some crazy catches so why were we not running more two TE sets with Casey and Daniels?!? Can you imagine having Casey, Daniels, AJ, Slaton, and Andre Davis on the field at the same time?!?!

I am sure there are more things that could be added to this list, but this is what is really depressing me. This sucks!!

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Man, I am depressed..... This might be the most depressed I have ever been as a Texans fan. I am really getting the feeling that Kubiak has got to go. Now before you jump on me and say I have been a Kubiak supporter, I will say you are correct. I am not saying we should fire Kubiak today. But if something doesn't change, I wouldn't be opposed to a mid-season change.

1. He is arrogant enough to think that his offensive play calling is so stellar that the QB doesn't need to call audibles. I have asked this before, and I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this, but are there any other coaches that do this? What good QB in this league is not allowed to audible out of the play that is called?? Isn't Schaub supposed to be one of those good, intelligent QBs??
2. He is arrogant enough to think that we can run first pass second against a Rex Ryan defense.
3. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to believe that no adjustments need to be made because his offensive genius is superior to the defensive genius of a Rex Ryan. The game plan obviously wasn't working, so why did we come out in the 3rd and run the exact same game plan?!?!?
4. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to not utilize all of his weapons. Where the flying **** was James Casey?!? The guy looked incredible in the preseason and made some crazy catches so why were we not running more two TE sets with Casey and Daniels?!? Can you imagine having Casey, Daniels, AJ, Slaton, and Andre Davis on the field at the same time?!?!

I am sure there are more things that could be added to this list, but this is what is really depressing me. This sucks!!
I'm a little puzzled by the calls to get James Casey on the field as a spark for the offense. Hell guys keep it simple how about getting it to all pro WR Andre Johnson?! How about trying to get the ball to pro bowl TE OD?!

Other then that comment you're spot on.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I'm a little puzzled by the calls to get James Casey on the field as a spark for the offense. Hell guys keep it simple how about getting it to all pro WR Andre Johnson?! How about trying to get the ball to pro bowl TE OD?!

Why keep 4 TE's if you are going to deactivate half of them? What's up with that?

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

Always the same thing. At the end of a year, he ALWAYS says " I should have used the kid more". When somethingisn't working, you have to try and shake it up a bit. Try a different match up. Just so annoying to say this in the 4th year.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Why keep 4 TE's if you are going to deactivate half of them? What's up with that?
Exactly. They ran an offense that resembled something you would throw out in pre-season. No imaganation, no originality, no adjustments as the game progressed, nothing to spread out their D or really blunt what the Jets were doing. No misdirection, no hot routes, hardly any motion, no nothing it seemed. Just the same old vanilla bland stale crap that looked like something straight out of week one of the preseason. Notice the Jets threw out the wildcat. Hello? Casey could do that. He could have helped in other ways as well. Their coordinators totally outclassed and outcoached ours.

What we saw yesterday was total and complete garbage. Of course, what do you expect when your OC and DC are barely out of diapers. Just like Capers, Kubes is going to end up going down with the ship because instead of getting the best and brightest he got the ones he knows the best.

C

Ckw

With Kevin Walter out, we needed as many weapons on the field as possible to keep the pressure off of Andre. AD is not a #2 WR; he never has been and never will be. He is a good situational deep threat. So with that being the case, we needed to alter our game plan a bit and get some good possession guys on the field to open the field up for Andre. Kubiak was an ***** for thinking he could run up the middle with Slaton, so that took Slaton out of the game. Then all the Jets had to do was key in on Andre and OD. Guess what: it worked.

Exactly.

Always the same thing. At the end of a year, he ALWAYS says " I should have used the kid more". When somethingisn't working, you have to try and shake it up a bit. Try a different match up. Just so annoying to say this in the 4th year.
Yep. Kubiak: "Well this one's on me. I should have gotten the kid out on the field and given him a chance. blah blah blah."

gary

Hall of Fame
Sooner or later Gary is going to be given his Pink sllip and maybe Smith as well. I hope Mr. Mcnair hires a GM with a proven track record and a all O minded HC or a all D minded HC just choose one or the other let the other fall into place but just as in a GM a HC with a proven track record would be nice. A coach that is willing to get in faces and scream his guts out at his team. Gary is afraid to do just that and dreams that one day all of a sudden everything is just going to click and the light will come on. News flash that's not how things in the NFL wake up Gary your days are numbered buddy. Everyone knows it.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Sooner or later Gary is going to be given his Pink sllip and maybe Smith as well. I hope Mr. Mcnair hires a GM with a proven track record and a all O minded HC or a all D minded HC just choose one or the other let the other fall into place but just as in a GM a HC with a proven track record would be nice. A coach that is willing to get in faces and scream his guts out at his team. Gary is afraid to do just that and dreams that one day all of a sudden everything is just going to click and the light will come on. News flash that's not how things in the NFL wake up Gary your days are numbered buddy. Everyone knows it.
I don't think it's just a matter of screaming Gary. It's a mixture of getting players motivated, talent evualation, finding the right coordinators, experience, schemes, etc. It's all of these and more. If it was just a matter of screaming, Tony Dungy would have been fired long ago. There has been plenty of non-screaming successes.

gary

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's just a matter of screaming Gary. It's a mixture of getting players motivated, talent evualation, finding the right coordinators, experience, schemes, etc. It's all of these and more. If it was just a matter of screaming, Tony Dungy would have been fired long ago. There has been plenty of non-screaming successes.
A passive HC isn't good either. It's on both Gary and players. The players are old enough to play motivated and Gary for not preparing his team. A coach that lets his team just get by. I just feel Gary does this way too often. It does not have to be screaming maybe a pizza party what he's doing now is not working. The players must have attitude and get hungry. Play like someone stole their chesseburgers Mario. I'm not calling him out I'm talking to everyone. They play without any spunk at all just like the Rockets, and Astros. Most of this is on the players but some of it is on Gary.

Porky

Hall of Fame
A passive HC isn't good either. It's on both Gary and players. The players are old enough to play motivated and Gary for not preparing his team. A coach that lets his team just get by. I just feel Gary does this way too often. It does not have to be screaming maybe a pizza party what he's doing now is not working. The players must have attitude and get hungry. Play like someone stole their chesseburgers Mario. I'm not calling him out I'm talking to everyone. They play without any spunk at all just like the Rockets, and Astros. Most of this is on the players but some of it is on Gary.
Good post Gary. Couldn't rep ya but that's the way to bring your POV to the board.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
After listening to Kubiak's interview by Bob Allen tonight, I'm convinced that he knows he'll be fired after the season if the team doesn't play well, but he's not fretting over it. Not in the very least. There is not a sense if urgency in him at all. If there is, he's hiding it very well.

He knows he'll have a job next season, whether it be with this team or someone else.

gary

Hall of Fame
How about the cheerleaders offering up dates to the players a night of fun if they play with pride and inspired? Just a thought. LOL

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
These Texans are a key injury away from having an awful season this year. That said, they are perfectly capable of playing awful football if they stay perfectly healthy. They are not a particularly talented NFL team. What’s worse is, if they don’t find the right guys to lead the team after Kubiak and his cronies are inevitably asked to clean out their desks, the Texans will officially be considered a permanent joke with a recurring punchline. One morning the hardest of the hard core will wake up and realize, “Oh my lord, we’re the Bengals.”
Yup. I'm just about there.

So there is no need to brown bag it to the games. Just throw on a Lions or Bengals jersey. That should get the point across.
Oh, I'd love to see that. Maybe we could start a drive. :)

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Oh wow, we are the Bengals... Except they have made it to the playoffs recently... Damnit, why?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
One morning the hardest of the hard core will wake up and realize, “Oh my lord, we’re the Bengals.”
Some of us have already arrived at that destination. *sigh*

I'll always be a Texans fan, but it's starting to become more of a curse than a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.