Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
You bishes better remember my "fire Kubiak" posts from the end of last season...there were only a few of us among the "we've improved, keep Kubiak" crowd. The few, the unproud, the fire Kubiak folks.

One of my biggest issues with the man? Preparing this team for game day. This team came out ill prepared, flat, and lacking on-field leadership. Same old story, different season.

And Frank Bush? How long into the game does it take to figure out to put more than front 4 pressure on a rookie QB?

Sigh.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
I don't think it is realistic that Kubes is gone during the season, but I think after the pre-season and this first game, he is going to have to get this team above .500 to keep his job.

I like Kubes and really want him to succeed. I like him so much, I wanted to believe that basic things like clock management would get better with time. I wanted to believe that we had such far inferior talent that we weren't competitive in certain games.

I am not an x's and o's guy, but based on the body of work, it just seems that Kubes doesn't prepapre his team well. We don't look like we are ready to play from the first snap, which also indicates that he can't get these guys motivated.

I don't think we are that far away talent-wise. I think that our coaching staff regular gets out-done. It is time to be honest about it.
Agree, Kubiak should be on the hot seat from here on out through the season in McNair's eyes at least. I'm already sold on it though.

This team looked unprepared and again it failed to make in game adjustments or hell even half time adjustments. I'm tired of a staff that consistently gets out coached in all facets of the game.

I'm tired of rookie or typically bad QBs coming in and lighting the team up.

Texan4Ever

All Pro
Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head! What's wrong with everyone? The Texans are known to struggle in the early part of the season but I have no doubt in my mind that we WILL improve as the season goes on.

Kubiak will take everyone back to the basics and the team is gonna' practice harder and hopefully we will see an improved team next week. I hope to see us improve our passing attack once Walters comes back.

Don't mess with my Texans! :bat:

There is ZERO chance that McNair fires Kubiak this season...none. Awful, awful game and we were outcoached and outplayed. However, it is a long season (probably longer than we would like), so let's see how this plays out and hope that we can man up and figure out a way to hang with the Tacks next week.

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
I don't know that we need to fire Kubiak now....BUT....if this happens next week (which probably will up in possum hollar against a good defense) and the 2 games after that against JAX and OAK we lose or look bad winning (those are bad teams and these 1st 4 games were supposed to be the easy part of our schedule) then Kubes needs to be on a flamingly hot seat and or fired on the spot. Player performance and preparedness falls on coaching and they looked lost today. Here in Austin it's all Cowboys and Longhorns all the time with a little tossle of the Texans hair now and then when the local media feels like it. Every year I think and say that we are going somewhere blah blah blah then I get to look like a baffoon. Thanks Texans! There new slogan should be "I'm a Texan, but only because the Oilers skipped town". Yay go team! Like a fool, I'm sure that I'll still sit through every game fooling myself that they'll finally turn into the tough, hard hitting, high flying team I expect after all these years. I love this team, but damn they make it as hard as possible on the fans!!

:splits:

nut

Veteran
This team has never had a heart. This team was not prepared to play the NYJ today. Everybody played like crap. The coaching stunk on both sides of the ball. Baby Shanny is only coaching because Kubiak is kissing Shanny Sr's butt. He is a horrible coach who is only still here because he is a local Houston guy.

OzzO

.. and then?
for what it's worth my Mom just called me from reliant and said that in the 4th, McNair and company went to the field and walked Kubiak off the field.....
They showed McNair on the sidelines early in the game, I think he was down there just to capture the moment of our first win in 2009!

...maybe next game

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head! What's wrong with everyone? The Texans are known to struggle in the early part of the season but I have no doubt in my mind that we WILL improve as the season goes on.

Kubiak will take everyone back to the basics and the team is gonna' practice harder and hopefully we will see an improved team next week. I hope to see us improve our passing attack once Walters comes back.

Don't mess with my Texans! :bat:
Let's all go over that first sentence shall we?

"Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head!"

Yes, it was the first game of the season. It wasn't however the first game of Gary Kubiak's head coaching tenure here. It was his 49th game and that's a lot of games my friend. That's over three seasons worth of games. Do you know what else? That's 49 games that I've watched the Texans play like 11 marshmallows. That's 49 games that I've spent watching an offensive line that can't block for **** and a defense that can't consistently tackle for ****. That's 49 games of watching this team beat only those teams that are clearly bottom feeders, overlooking the current game, or suffering from some injury problem.

When was the last time we saw the Houston Texans walk out on to a field and beat the snot out of a really good team?

This was indeed a "very good Jets team". They finished 9-7 last season. We finished 8-8. That is a difference in just one game but you and I both know that the real difference is much bigger. Rex Ryan is a rookie HC. He started a rookie QB. He had to sit two of his best defenders. He brought that team to Houston and beat the **** out of us from start to finish. His team was playing their asses off for him.

Our team "loves" to play for Kubiak. They're his "kids". He just can't say enough about how hard they try. He's been trying to find the words for three damned year to describe it.

Meanwhile in one preseason and camp Rex Ryan has the Jets going out on the road and destroying teams that are (from a final record point at least) presumably in the same ballpark as his own.

We're doing it wrong. Anyone who can't see that the Texans are doing it wrong is either blind or in denial.

Sadly I can't say you're wrong about the "Fire Kubiak" thought. What would that really accomplish? Bob McNair is just going to go out and find some other good, earnest, honest, and low-key guy to play shepherd to his boy scout troop.

Why bother firing Kubiak? What's the point?

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
Our team "loves" to play for Kubiak. They're his "kids". He just can't say enough about how hard they try. He's been trying to find the words for three damned year to describe it.
I don't buy this. I've seen teams that love to play for their HC and play hard for him, and the Texans don't resemble those types of teams at all.

Fox

Rookie
I like Kubes and really want him to succeed. I like him so much, I wanted to believe that basic things like clock management would get better with time. I wanted to believe that we had such far inferior talent that we weren't competitive in certain games.

I am not an x's and o's guy, but based on the body of work, it just seems that Kubes doesn't prepapre his team well. We don't look like we are ready to play from the first snap, which also indicates that he can't get these guys motivated.

I don't think we are that far away talent-wise. I think that our coaching staff regular gets out-done. It is time to be honest about it.
Great post and I agree completely. I am a huge Kubiak fan. He's a straight shooter, a good guy, and you can tell he wants to win for this city more than anything. Unfortunately things aren't working out for him. I've seen enough years of this MB to take the game day knee-jerking with a grain of salt, but hell my knees are a little achy right now from the same.

I may be crazy but I see talent on the field, we don't lack the players to win IMO. Today I saw us thoroughly out-coached. Rex Ryans was able to bring consistent pressure with his two best pass rushers out of the game because our coaching staff couldn't figure out how to counter his X's and O's. Our defense was mediocre, better than I expected and the only thing that kept my interest into the 4th quarter, but our offense - Kubiak's only ace in the hole - was completely confused and impotent.

I'm not ready to grab the pink soap yet, but I'm thinking about it for the first time since Kubiak took over.

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
wow this thread is entertaining. i think it's a little early to be hanging up the fire Kubes thread this early. he should think about taking a little more control during the offensive possesions but i think it's a bit early to be calling for the chopping block. any time you get beat like this these threads come up. hell we saw them start in the pre-season. we need Gibb's line to make bigger holes for Slaton, we need a better secondary, more talent inside on the DL, and the ability to stop someone in the clutch. we do NOT need more of this crap until at least halfway through the season. and Marcus just for ******** and giggles, it's just the first game.

Silver Oak

All Pro
Im not on board with firing anyone (except Myers), but if we did, who is out there right now that we could hire? Cowher won't come either, so let's hear some other names from you guys being the most vocal.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I don't buy this. I've seen teams that love to play for their HC and play hard for him, and the Texans don't resemble those types of teams at all.
Nobody ever said it was the right kind of "love to play for coach". I'd love a job too where I was never pushed to do better and got paid millions of dollars a year to do it. When players talk about how they love to play for a coach you have to look at which players are saying that and what those players are actually doing on the field.

When our guys say it I think it's a bad sign, not a good one.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Im not on board with firing anyone (except Myers), but if we did, who is out there right now that we could hire? Cowher won't come either, so let's hear some other names from you guys being the most vocal.

I don't think firing Kubiak would help either. I doubt our owner and GM have the necessary skills to find a replacement who would be any better.

eriadoc

Texan-American
The bottom line is we don't control the LOS. We never have. And after thinking about my newly acquired sig, I am not sure what to attribute it to. I know one thing for sure - you can't attribute the O-line woes to Kubiak. That doesn't mean he isn't accountable, but the difference is in who's actually doing the coaching. So we have a coach with a sterling reputation due to results and he can't do anything with our guys on the O-line? How is that Kubiak's fault? Like I said, I know he'll take the fall for it; that's the price for being at the top. I'm OK with that, but right now I'm more interested in diagnosing.

As for defense, we have had Bill Kollar, Frank Bush, Richard Smith, Jethro Franklin, Jon Hoke, Ray Rhodes, and who knows who else work with most of these same players. And the results have been the same. It's easy to see who the good players are, but after the top 3 or 4 defensive players, it gets fuzzy. Are all these coaches really that inept? Is Kubiak going into the meeting rooms in the middle of the night and erasing the white boards with all the X and O plays? WTF?

Maybe there's talent on this team, but that talent sure as hell isn't doing anything with it. Maybe all these coaches really are inept. Maybe the Texans have somehow managed to hire more line coaches than any other team in the NFL and find all the ones that suck. Maybe Ray Rhodes' success in the past was all a fluke.

mussop

Hall of Fame

Jimmy Johnson????
Why do you say Cower wont come here?

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I've seen enough of this. I've watched too many teams turned around by rookie head coaches to continue to give Kubiak time. We are never ready for opening day. Its the same **** every single year. I've heard the excuse "we always start out slow.". Yea? Well that's a big f'n problem guys. How about the excuse "well we don't have any decent safeties.". How long have we had to draft a damn safety. I'm tired of the CC Brown approach to building a team. Let's draft guys in the 5th and 6th round and maybe it works out. No.

Every administrative decision that Kubiak has made has failed. Mike Sherman, lil shanny, Richard Smith, Rick Smith, and now Frank Bush seems to be falling into the same category.

Look at what Rick Smith has done. Okoye is a complete bust IMO. Bennett is really bad. He for some reason doesn't believe we need better safeties. Developmental corners. He seems to be pissing off our vets; he's pissed off Owen and DeMeco. This is not working guys. Our best recent draft class was Casserly's doing.

Our QB can't identify the blitz before the snap to save his life. He holds onto the ball for entirely too long and doesn't seem to have the awareness to locate the first down marker. He threw the ball for 5 yards when we need 9 like 4 times today. On top of that he is fragile. This is KUBIAK'S guy. Remember, the QB guru.

Andre Johnson deserves to leave. I feel so sorry for him.

Why is it that other teams turn around quickly but after 3 years of failure some of you can't see what right in front of you?

Goldensilence

hipster elite
OP didn't say fire right now, and I don't think most people are on board with firing him now. End of the season is probably something very different.

You do have a good point on would we really want to see anyone on the staff as the interim HC anyway.The only person on the staff that inspires any confidence in that area is Ray Rhodes and I don't think he be up for that.

LonerATO

All Pro
Jimmy Johnson????
Why do you say Cower wont come here?
I cant understand why we dont try and find a young coach with some balls and give him the job. Dan Reeves opinion helped in the hiring of Kube's and it has shown that Mike and Gary cant win without each other.

euro-Texan

Rookie
I say bring in Mike Shanahan. He knows the plan. Hell it's his plan. I just think he would hold the team accountable. Kubiak falling on his sword over and over is getting old.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
The bottom line is we don't control the LOS. We never have. And after thinking about my newly acquired sig, I am not sure what to attribute it to. I know one thing for sure - you can't attribute the O-line woes to Kubiak. That doesn't mean he isn't accountable, but the difference is in who's actually doing the coaching. So we have a coach with a sterling reputation due to results and he can't do anything with our guys on the O-line? How is that Kubiak's fault? Like I said, I know he'll take the fall for it; that's the price for being at the top. I'm OK with that, but right now I'm more interested in diagnosing.

As for defense, we have had Bill Kollar, Frank Bush, Richard Smith, Jethro Franklin, Jon Hoke, Ray Rhodes, and who knows who else work with most of these same players. And the results have been the same. It's easy to see who the good players are, but after the top 3 or 4 defensive players, it gets fuzzy. Are all these coaches really that inept? Is Kubiak going into the meeting rooms in the middle of the night and erasing the white boards with all the X and O plays? WTF?

Maybe there's talent on this team, but that talent sure as hell isn't doing anything with it. Maybe all these coaches really are inept. Maybe the Texans have somehow managed to hire more line coaches than any other team in the NFL and find all the ones that suck. Maybe Ray Rhodes' success in the past was all a fluke.
Maybe, maybe, maybe. I'm right there with you on that. What's going on?

Are we catching these guys at the end of their respective careers? Is that happening? Is Alex Gibbs still able to do what he's famous for doing? I mean, these are pretty much all his guys. He inherited Pitts and Winston but Brown, Myers, and Briseil (sp? who cares, he sucks) are there on his watch.

I don't know. I do know we'll never have a guy who's "trouble" on this team. We'll never bring in someone who has any kind of edge. I think we go for guys who are all good citizens over everything else and that no coach in the world could turn a cub scout troop like this into a real nasty offensive line. We draft like crap and I think we're looking much of the time for qualities that other teams would scratch their heads at. I don't mean thugs and Pac Man types but when have we ever drafted an offensive lineman who was just "nasty"? Spencer maybe? I watched the Pitt-Tenn game and I was just enjoying the hell out of watching Tennessee's center manhandle guys and hold the front of that pocket. When have we ever had anybody do that here?

Our needs are many, our front office is stupid, and it's a year until we can even begin to address any of them. 2009 is going to be 2005 all over again. I can feel it in my bones. This team is going to be the death of me. I sometimes wish LA had gotten this team because Bob McNair does not have what it takes to be an NFL owner. Not a successful one at least and if Houston has to have a lousy NFL team I'd rather they not have one at all.

C

Ckw

Logic and reason in this kind of a thread?!?! I think you better leave.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
when he was last asked, I thought he said he was going to remain retired. I wasn't stating that he was against specifically coming to Houston.
I believe that coaches will remain retired about as much as I believe that Favre will remain retired. Great coaches always have that itch.

GNTLEWOLF

Rookie
well in all fairness our secondary didn't help that super aggressive defense

our safeties suck ass
Not aimed at anybody in particular....but you mean Dunta didn't come in and make our defensive backfield shine? Unfortunately, I didn't get to se the game, I had expected to lose, but not this bad. It is the same thing every year.

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
I say bring in Mike Shanahan. He knows the plan. Hell it's his plan. I just think he would hold the team accountable. Kubiak falling on his sword over and over is getting old.
Yes, Kubes has to go. It is always 3rd and 45 and he is always going for it on 4th and 2--that is Dom Capers-light.

bye kubes.

He will be fired by midseason.

False Start

On # 69
With all of these "fire" threads, it looks like an episode of B&B in here, lol.

"Kubes", needs to step it up this season, or its time for him to move on IMO.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Good lord why are people still mentioning Cowher here? The guy is never coming to Houston and we aren't even on his radar.

For many of the Kubiak worshipers in here, it's pretty weak to be wanting him fired after one game after so many arguments and arguments of what a great coach he is and how he was going to be the next Jeff Fisher and all and how crazy some of us were told we were for saying that the guy wasn't all that.

Newsflash, Kubes has never been a great coach here and probably never will. People bought into this guy because he was a hot name at the time when Capers was fired.

gwallaia

Staff member
When Kubiak is fired, who do the Texans bring in? Is it best to do it now, early in the season or wait until the end of the season?

If I was Bob McNair, I would be on the phone with Bill Cowher and ask him what he would do as Texans coach. Let him know that Kubiak will be gone soon and to start formulating his ideas............And oh yeah, how much money he wants.

Kubiak has no competitive spirit, he has no drive, he has no heart. He is a lousy uninspiring coach.

There, I feel better.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Mike Shanahan. Everything is already set up for that to happen. Other than his offense already being in place, the chance to work with his son would be the most attractive reason.

I have been rooting for Kubiak but today's loss was definitely a gut check. I tend to agree with Herv's take that we beat up on the sorry sacks and get thumped by the big boys (the large majority of the time). I might have been too patient on this one, it looks bad right now.

Another thing, how on earth did it take this long for Rex Ryan to land a HC gig. Wow, just wow. He and his team look like they are headed for big things, if not this year in the near future. I am envious.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
I don't think firing Kubiak would help either. I doubt our owner and GM have the necessary skills to find a replacement who would be any better.
We're just screwed either way. One thing we know about McNair is that he doesn't do anything quick.

The system is so ****ed up that it'll take 3-4 years to get the right guys in place to un**** it.

The defense is JV and the ZBS is a joke.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I sometimes wish LA had gotten this team because Bob McNair does not have what it takes to be an NFL owner. Not a successful one at least and if Houston has to have a lousy NFL team I'd rather they not have one at all.
If it was anyone else besides you who said that Herv, there would probably be the standard "you're not really a fan" BS comeback.

But I agree with you 100%. I would much rather be without a team than a team that always sucks. It just ruins watching other NFL games, because instead of getting to just enjoy a game for what it is, all you end up doing is watching other teams and wonder why the Texans can't be like them.

That's what sucks more than anything else.

Edit: I wish there was a "switch" that I could turn off that would instantly stop making me interested in this team. But that's not the way it works, sadly.

Last edited:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
If it was anyone else besides you who said that Herv, there would probably be the standard "you're not really a fan" BS comeback.

But I agree with you 100%. I would much rather be without a team than a team that always sucks. It just ruins watching other NFL games, because instead of getting to just enjoy a game for what it is, all you end up doing is watching other teams and wonder why the Texans can't be like them.

That's what sucks more than anything else.

Edit: I wish there was a "switch" that I could turn off that would instantly stop making me interested in this team. But that's not the way it works, sadly.
I've often wished I could not care about this as much as I do. A game like today destroys my week. I went and took a nap for the last, hell I don't know how long I was in there. I just get so low when they go out there and suck to the heavens. I swear it has nothing to do with losing. I can take losing if I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I could have watched us play a hard fought game and then lost it at the end on a FG or a TD and I would be fine. I'd be in here talking about plays we didn't make and next weeks game and even though we lost I'd be involved in the post-game "thing" we all do.

A game like today just breaks me at this point. I'm so sick of watching them suck. I'm sick of watching them get bent over by good teams that I can't stand to see it happen now. It's been almost a decade and they're going nowhere. Again. It ruins the sport for me when we're not even competitive.

euro-Texan

Rookie
shouldn't the pain have stopped by now? This is like when you hit your shin real hard and yo think it's just a stinger, but ou have really broke your leg.

euro-Texan

Rookie
I've often wished I could not care about this as much as I do. A game like today destroys my week. I went and took a nap for the last, hell I don't know how long I was in there. I just get so low when they go out there and suck to the heavens. I swear it has nothing to do with losing. I can take losing if I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I could have watched us play a hard fought game and then lost it at the end on a FG or a TD and I would be fine. I'd be in here talking about plays we didn't make and next weeks game and even though we lost I'd be involved in the post-game "thing" we all do.

A game like today just breaks me at this point. I'm so sick of watching them suck. I'm sick of watching them get bent over by good teams that I can't stand to see it happen now. It's been almost a decade and they're going nowhere. Again. It ruins the sport for me when we're not even competitive.
oh there is a light coming. It's a locomotive with a tack on it and next week we can discuss our shitty situation all over again

TEXANRED

Texan-American
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.
This reminds me of Dom Capers note pad and non of us could figure out what the heck he was always writing down.

Maybe Kubes is reading up on Yahoo's top 10 donts during a job interview.

LonerATO

All Pro
I just cant help but feel that this team is like every other bottom feeder in the league and the fans are bleed dry while they hope for a winner.

TEXANRED

Texan-American

Cheer up Herv, this time next year the country will be talking about how the Texans are going to start Colt McCoy against there week one opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.