Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread

Imagine the backlash if we didn't resign Watson and he left in free agency...

He's here for at least next year .... Imagine waiting to extend him until this offseason when you have a clearer understanding of the cap situation going forward.

This contract was based off of the idea there would be a ~$250m+ cap in those years. Its more likely to be right around ~$200m. At 250 his cap hit would be 16% - Not unprecedented.

That's my main complaint on the contract issue. I'm not at all irritated by him being extended , just don't think they took everything into consideration.

Tunsil's contract was done before Covid wrecked the world .... That's understandable.

I wouldn't complain had they waited until the coming offseason and given him 14-16% of the cap which is in line with the rest of the top tier QB's.

Hope that makes my position more clear.

He's here for at least next year .... Imagine waiting to extend him until this offseason when you have a clearer understanding of the cap situation going forward.

This contract was based off of the idea there would be a ~$250m+ cap in those years. Its more likely to be right around ~$200m. At 250 his cap hit would be 16% - Not unprecedented.

That's my main complaint on the contract issue. I'm not at all irritated by him being extended , just don't think they took everything into consideration.

Tunsil's contract was done before Covid wrecked the world .... That's understandable.

I wouldn't complain had they waited until the coming offseason and given him 14-16% of the cap which is in line with the rest of the top tier QB's.

Hope that makes my position more clear.

Man you were complaining way before Watson got his contract.

I was complaining that he was going to have a $40m cap hit .... That's a legit complaint when it equates to 20% or more of the total cap and its 5% higher than any other player not named Pat Mahomes.

I just hate Watson , that's all .... it can't be the anything else. :rolleyes:

Common sense need not apply.

I was complaining that he was going to have a $40m cap hit .... That's a legit complaint when it equates to 20% or more of the total cap and its 5% higher than any other player not named Pat Mahomes.

I just hate Watson , that's all .... it can't be the anything else. :rolleyes:

Common sense need not apply.

Apparently you do. For anyone to say he’s poor to meddling has to have some sort of hate going on.

And for anyone to continue to complain about his money religiously. Has to have some type of I’ll-will towards him.

This has nothing to do with common sense. This is not my freakin money and I’m not paying any one of these players salaries. The McNairs believes he’s worth it and that’s all that matters. Common sense should tell you they don’t share the same poor to meddling evaluation you graded Watson as such.

Jimmy G is struggling with an injury that is affecting his footwork atm. It’s a little unfair to evaluate his play due to that.

Yep, I dont get how tearing up a playing hurt Jimmy G to somehow pickup DW4's performance makes any sense at all. SMH

Jimmy G is struggling with an injury that is affecting his footwork atm. It’s a little unfair to evaluate his play due to that.

Not around here it’s not. When Watson was out there balling with injuries to his ribs. I didn’t see you are anyone else hold back the criticism that was fished out. Especially the two that liked your comment.

Plus the old saying is , if you are hurt and can’t go, do not hurt your team by playing.

Not around here it’s not. When Watson was out there balling with injuries to his ribs. I didn’t see you are anyone else hold back the criticism that was fished out. Especially the two that liked your comment.

Plus the old saying is , if you are hurt and can’t go, do not hurt your team by playing.
I believe I’ve been fair to Watson over his time with the Texans. I think he’s tended to hold the ball despite receivers being open. I witnessed first hand the risks he took against the Jags at Wembley and the reward he had that day and the way the offense broke down over the rest of the season.

Overall, I’ve been consistent in blaming O’Brien for the problems in Watson’s game.

You are taking exception to me questioning whether a QB who hasn’t won a ring gaining a contract at a similar rate to one who does have a ring, and whether that is in the teams best interest.

I believe I’ve been fair to Watson over his time with the Texans. I think he’s tended to hold the ball despite receivers being open. I witnessed first hand the risks he took against the Jags at Wembley and the reward he had that day and the way the offense broke down over the rest of the season.

Overall, I’ve been consistent in blaming O’Brien for the problems in Watson’s game.

You are taking exception to me questioning whether a QB who hasn’t won a ring gaining a contract at a similar rate to one who does have a ring, and whether that is in the teams best interest.

You guys really needs to understand this is a new era we’re in. The NFL has caught up to the NBA and MLB in the terms of paying players mega contracts. It does not have anything to do with winning a super bowl. Players at every position are getting paid, not just quarterbacks. Therefore, the revenue must be plentiful right or these owners wouldn’t be handing out these type of contracts. They think it’s in the best interest of their organization. So why are we so worried about their pocket book.

As far as him holding onto the ball, man every freaking quarterback does that.

You guys really needs to understand this is a new era we’re in. The NFL has caught up to the NBA and MLB in the terms of paying players mega contracts. It does not have anything to do with winning a super bowl. Players at every position are getting paid, not just quarterbacks. Therefore, the revenue must be plentiful right or these owners wouldn’t be handing out these type of contracts. They think it’s in the best interest of their organization. So why are we so worried about their pocket book.

Except the MLB doesn't have a salary cap and the NBA allows you to go over with the Bird exceptions and the luxury tax. You're right about owners getting paid

Ehhh, I haven't checked the boards in a while. Have we gone from Hate OB to Hate Watson now? I want to make sure I keep up with the cool kids.

"Hate" is a strong word. Too strong for this application.

I don't dislike the guy as a person , I have nothing ill to say about him or his character ....

I just don't believe he's as good at football as some others do.

If that fits your definition of hate .... meh whatever.

AS it should be.

He knew that Cal was going to do that contract for DW4.
Apparently you do. For anyone to say he’s poor to meddling has to have some sort of hate going on.

And for anyone to continue to complain about his money religiously. Has to have some type of I’ll-will towards him.

This has nothing to do with common sense. This is not my freakin money and I’m not paying any one of these players salaries. The McNairs believes he’s worth it and that’s all that matters. Common sense should tell you they don’t share the same poor to meddling evaluation you graded Watson as such.

This why we are in the middle of a lost decade.

Poor decisions by Cal is what is going to doom this franchise for the next decade.

This has nothing to do with DW4. If I was in his shoes I would say thank you Cletus and start cashing those checks.

I don't dislike the guy as a person , I have nothing ill to say about him or his character ....

Well said

Reclamation Project are very strong words.

AS it should be.

He knew that Cal was going to do that contract for DW4.

This why we are in the middle of a lost decade.

Poor decisions by Cal is what is going to doom this franchise for the next decade.

This has nothing to do with DW4. If I was in his shoes I would say thank you Cletus and start cashing those checks.

OB made that contract offer and he convinced Cal it was the right thing to do.

OB made that contract offer and he convinced Cal it was the right thing to do.

In theory it was the right thing to do. Now we have our franchise quarterback set in place. Hopefully the new regime will build a competitive team around him. Hopefully they can take this roster as constructive and build a winner. People tend to forget they were 10-6 last season.

If true, this is the reason BOB should've been fired.

I believe signing DW4 was all Cal. Gotta protect the marketing dept.

I don't think Cal had the stones to step on OB's toes. OB didn't have another QB to turn to if Watson wasn't the guy he was counting on to save his arse.

I don't think Cal had the stones to step on OB's toes. OB didn't have another QB to turn to if Watson wasn't the guy he was counting on to save his arse.

This may or may not be true.

But the Houston Texans are a marketing team with a football division and DW$'s a great marketing tool that Cal knows can set him on the way to making another billion or so dollars.

This may or may not be true.

But the Houston Texans are a marketing team with a football division and DW$'s a great marketing tool that Cal knows can set him on the way to making another billion or so dollars.

Then Cal is an idiot as we all seem to know. If he thinks this thought process can bring in millions b/c of marketing then he must've hid in his office when the Stros parade was rolling through the City of Houston. Cal has no ducking clue how short-sighted he is if he doesn't understand what a SB victory would do for his PR coffers.

Contract Info Time:

Watson.
21: 15.9M.
22: 40.4M.
23: 42.4M.
24: Out / 5.4M Dead Money.
24: 37.4M.
25: 32.0M.
26: UFA.

Mahomes
21: 24.8M
22: 34.9M
23: Out / 4.0M Dead Money
23: 42.5M
24: 39.9M
25: 41.9M
26: 41.9M
27: 59.9M
28: 44.5M
29: 44.9M
30: 50.5M
31: 52.5M
32: UFA

Man, if the Texans are going to be hamstrung into failure due to Watson's contract....how in the hail will the Chiefs even come close to surviving Mahomes contract after 2022?

In my mind.....the Texans will use 2022 as a barometer in regards to Watson. If the team is sold, Watson and Texans could renegotiate the contract, add years, and lower the cap hit going forward. Texans would be a in an enviable position b/c they could trade Watson in 2024 since the receiving team could easily negotiate a new contract with only 2 seasons left on his existing contract if an extension was never done.

Chiefs are in a quandary. If the dynamics of their team isn't working they could try and trade Mahomes but absolutely no NFL owner would touch that contract and I doubt KC eats enough of the contract to make a trade viable. Their only option might be to cut him in 2023 when his cap hit would be minimal.

Last edited:
Then Cal is an idiot as we all seem to know. If he thinks this thought process can bring in millions b/c of marketing then he must've hid in his office when the Stros parade was rolling through the City of Houston. Cal has no ducking clue how short-sighted he is if he doesn't understand what a SB victory would do for his PR coffers.

I think you're onto something with this post.

His daddy taught him well.

Reclamation Project are very strong words.

How on anybody's earth is "Reclamation Project" a strong word ? .... Does it have some vile meaning that I'm unaware of ?!

For something to be reclaimed , there had to be something there to claim in the first place .... You know , like talent or ability in the context of this discussion?

Ugh ....

How on anybody's earth is "Reclamation Project" a strong word ? .... Does it have some vile meaning that I'm unaware of ?!

For something to be reclaimed , there had to be something there to claim in the first place .... You know , like talent or ability in the context of this discussion?

Ugh ....

What's there to reclaim when you wouldn't draft him in the first place.

You already had in your mind that Watson isn't going to become consistent, because he never was (in your opinion).

Don’t worry @steelbtexan @Corrosion , Jimmy G. The savior , has probably played his last game in SF. He will be released in the offseason and is primed to be DW4’s backup next season.

Where have I ever called Jimmy G a savior?

I did say RS should have drafted him. Injuries have taken a toll on Jimmy G.

Carry on for the next decade with your DW4 love for the next 5 years. I'm looking forward to seeing the excuses for his failures.

What's there to reclaim when you wouldn't draft him in the first place.

You already had in your mind that Watson isn't going to become consistent, because he never was (in your opinion).

Look , I'm done with the topic.

Franchise QB?

Define franchise QB.

QB that plays well enough to earn a high paying second contract.
QB that a majority of NFL praises as elite.
QB who often times has to carry or will his team to TDs.
QB who is respected by his team mates and by his peers.
QB who has had success at every level.

and mostly, a QB who is the face of your franchise (i.e. Franchise QB).

Last edited:
Back