Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TEXANS VS RAVENS PLAYOFFS............"NEVERMORE" QUOTH THE TEXANS!

Stop.

Saying Nico is 2.0 means he is an upgrade over AJ. He is not. He is not the second coming of AJ either.

Nico is a poor man’s AJ.

Nico is good, but there is no one like AJ.

Brevin Jordan = Antonio Gates

EDIT: Can we not delete posts on here, or am I missing it on my phone? 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: JB
We got a team that justifies hope. I'm not sure I've said that about a Houston pro football team in a long, long time.

The sky is the limit with CJ. It's mind-boggling, not just as a Texans fan, but as a lifelong football fan. And that dude is on OUR team.

:koolaid:
Yeah, I'm still sipping kool-aide, the same batch I made when they hired DeMeco.

It doesn't make me delusional, but it sure tastes good to be a fan of a team that gives you true hope.

I think it'll be a matter of who makes more plays, less mistakes, and ultimately which team has the collective spirit to force their will on their opponent.

They're both capable of winning, and losing, this game. I think it's a good matchup.

The Texans believe. And that's because they've got a HC and QB that they can believe in. So I'm right there with them believing they can do it, too

:texflag:

The Ravens are the #1 seed and should win, but i think they're a little overrated. I rewatched our game, rewatched the 49er game..rewatched the Browns game they lost & im just not all that impressed with them. Defensively I know they led the league in sacks, but the best thing they do to me is they are very good open field tacklers. Pass defense wise tho, Stephens, Humphrey, Williams and/or Darby..they don't scare me. Hamilton is a playmaker, but he's at his best when he's playing around in the box. They love bringing him off the edge to force the checkdown. & with his long wingspan, he's very good at batting those passes to the flats down. But If its not him its Queen they're doing that with.

Their best win against the 49ers.. i look at that game as Purdy lost it for the 49ers moreso than the Ravens winning it. He was just trying too hard to prove he wasn't a game manager/MVP worthy & got a little outside of his role & frankly talent level trying to force it to Deebo & running around in the backfield like he had it like that. Even with Purdy chunking 3 pics, That game, much like ours was still just a FG game at half.

Offensively, they're making alot out of this new offense & how its so much better... Scheme wise, its really nothing special. just a bunch of short quick pass plays with 1-2 reads for LJ8 to get off of it quickly....& when those aren't there, LJ8 do your thing & extend the play & someone's bound to get open. When they are there, more often than not its a quick hitter and guys are getting out of bounds or its a bubble screen to Flowers' where he uses his short area quickness ability to make a guy miss. The biggest issue i think we'll have is an issue we've had all year..defending TE's down the seam. Andrews/Likely we just don't match up well with.

The key to at least slowing them down imo is we're gonna have to limit LJ8's possessions & the explosive plays. But also we're gonna have to be a whole lot better with our open field tackling than we were in the 1st game. Last part of this is most important imo.

Offensively, CJ's gonna have to be patient & do what he's done all year which is be accurate, decisive & effective working the pocket b/c they will come after him.. trying to confuse him or force him into throwing it where they want him to so they can rally up; its just what they do...especially in 3rd & long.
Slowik's gonna have to dial up some creative quick hitting blitz beaters to counter the edge pressure they like to bring. Beyond that answer back quickly when they score...can't let the crowd get into it. We do that, we give ourselves a chance to be in it late & anything can happen at that point.

The Ravens are the #1 seed and should win, but i think they're a little overrated. I rewatched our game, rewatched the 49er game..rewatched the Browns game they lost & im just not all that impressed with them. Defensively I know they led the league in sacks, but the best thing they do to me is they are very good open field tacklers. Pass defense wise tho, Stephens, Humphrey, Williams and/or Darby..they don't scare me. Hamilton is a playmaker, but he's at his best when he's playing around in the box. They love bringing him off the edge to force the checkdown. & with his long wingspan, he's very good at batting those passes to the flats down. But If its not him its Queen they're doing that with.

Their best win against the 49ers.. i look at that game as Purdy lost it for the 49ers moreso than the Ravens winning it. He was just trying too hard to prove he wasn't a game manager/MVP worthy & got a little outside of his role & frankly talent level trying to force it to Deebo & running around in the backfield like he had it like that. Even with Purdy chunking 3 pics, That game, much like ours was still just a FG game at half.

Offensively, they're making alot out of this new offense & how its so much better... Scheme wise, its really nothing special. just a bunch of short quick pass plays with 1-2 reads for LJ8 to get off of it quickly....& when those aren't there, LJ8 do your thing & extend the play & someone's bound to get open. When they are there, more often than not its a quick hitter and guys are getting out of bounds or its a bubble screen to Flowers' where he uses his short area quickness ability to make a guy miss. The biggest issue i think we'll have is an issue we've had all year..defending TE's down the seam. Andrews/Likely we just don't match up well with.

The key to at least slowing them down imo is we're gonna have to limit LJ8's possessions & the explosive plays. But also we're gonna have to be a whole lot better with our open field tackling than we were in the 1st game. Last part of this is most important imo.

Offensively, CJ's gonna have to be patient & do what he's done all year which is be accurate, decisive & effective working the pocket b/c they will come after him.. trying to confuse him or force him into throwing it where they want him to so they can rally up; its just what they do...especially in 3rd & long.
Slowik's gonna have to dial up some creative quick hitting blitz beaters to counter the edge pressure they like to bring. Beyond that answer back quickly when they score...can't let the crowd get into it. We do that, we give ourselves a chance to be in it late & anything can happen at that point.

We're vastly overrated. I don't see how y'all don't beat our overrated tails by at least 3 touchdowns. Great analysis

It's just gonna be one tough game whatever angle you take. The Cleveland game was nice but I don't think that happens again - a day when so many things went right. I'm concerned about this somewhat young team and everyone slapping them on the back and telling them how wonderful they are. Demeco needs to keep their heads screwed on straight and emphasize how these opportunities don't happen often - that there is still work to do.

Obviously, the cold and wind is going to be factor. The Ravens always seem to be big, strong and mean. It's an intriguing matchup.

The Ravens are a much better team than game 1. Of course...so are the Texans. But the Ravens are arguably the best team in football over much of the season. They have to be considered a strong favorite at home against a very wounded Texan receiving group with a lack of weapons for CJ.
That is the reality, plus they do have a very good D - but then again, so did the Browns but I can't see them rolling belly up like the Browns did in that second half.

We got a team that justifies hope. I'm not sure I've said that about a Houston pro football team in a long, long time.

The sky is the limit with CJ. It's mind-boggling, not just as a Texans fan, but as a lifelong football fan. And that dude is on OUR team.

:koolaid:
Yeah, I'm still sipping kool-aide, the same batch I made when they hired DeMeco.

It doesn't make me delusional, but it sure tastes good to be a fan of a team that gives you true hope.

I think it'll be a matter of who makes more plays, less mistakes, and ultimately which team has the collective spirit to force their will on their opponent.

They're both capable of winning, and losing, this game. I think it's a good matchup.

The Texans believe. And that's because they've got a HC and QB that they can believe in. So I'm right there with them believing they can do it, too

:texflag:
Remember what you felt like before the Chiefs Divisional round blow out? Back then we loved DeShaun, thought he was the one & that team could pull the upset.

Then that first half, looked like fate. Then...

Not trying to negative Nancy you, or temper expectations, just saying I felt this way before. Do you feel different about this time & if so, why?

On the one hand it feels the same. On the other... I never liked O'Brien offense. Smoke & mirrors. While I do like what Slow is doing, I'm getting that smoke & mirrors feel from the MASH unit we have on defense.

Just one more game baby, keep it together for one more game.

Know what I mean?

"I think they're definitely improved, but so are we when you look at it," linebacker Roquan Smith said of the Texans. "The offense is definitely clicking, but we wouldn't want it any other way. We're prepared for it, and we're ready to go to war regardless of who it's against, and they're the team that's coming in here. Business is is business handled."
Baltimore enters Saturday's tilt boasting the No. 1 scoring defense in the NFL. Last week, Stroud and the Texans knocked off the NFL's No. 1 defense in yards allowed, Cleveland. The rookie is looking to become the third QB in NFL history to defeat the No. 1 total defense and No. 1 scoring defense in consecutive playoff starts (excluding teams that finished No. 1 in both): Joe Montana in 1988 (Vikings in Div. Rd, Bears in NFC Championship); Roger Staubach in 1975 (Vikings in Div. Rd, Rams in NFC Championship).

"I think they're definitely improved, but so are we when you look at it," linebacker Roquan Smith said of the Texans. "The offense is definitely clicking, but we wouldn't want it any other way. We're prepared for it, and we're ready to go to war regardless of who it's against, and they're the team that's coming in here. Business is is business handled."
Baltimore enters Saturday's tilt boasting the No. 1 scoring defense in the NFL. Last week, Stroud and the Texans knocked off the NFL's No. 1 defense in yards allowed, Cleveland. The rookie is looking to become the third QB in NFL history to defeat the No. 1 total defense and No. 1 scoring defense in consecutive playoff starts (excluding teams that finished No. 1 in both): Joe Montana in 1988 (Vikings in Div. Rd, Bears in NFC Championship); Roger Staubach in 1975 (Vikings in Div. Rd, Rams in NFC Championship).

Cleveland's stats were skewed. Look at their away games. Their away games, their defense almost completely disappeared, for whatever reason. The Ravens? Not so much.

It's just gonna be one tough game whatever angle you take. The Cleveland game was nice but I don't think that happens again - a day when so many things went right. I'm concerned about this somewhat young team and everyone slapping them on the back and telling them how wonderful they are. Demeco needs to keep their heads screwed on straight and emphasize how these opportunities don't happen often - that there is still work to do.

Obviously, the cold and wind is going to be factor. The Ravens always seem to be big, strong and mean. It's an intriguing matchup.
Look at it this way. The Texans essentially already have two playoff like games under their belt with a rookie HC and QB (Colts game and Browns game). Win or lose this game will only build on their experience. The Ravens have a lot more to lose than the Texans do.

Curbstomping the Browns the way we did, I don’t think this team feels any pressure and that’s potentially dangerous for Baltimore. The first time Lamar runs with the ball, they have to tag him, hard.
The Ravens have strongly established their passing game..........that makes Jackson's opportunity to run extremely high. The DL alone has to shoulder the responsibility to produce a continuous hard rush while containing Jackson in the pocket. We need all the other positions ready to cover the Raven's potential receivers. I don't know that we can afford to have a "spy".............but I don't know that we can afford not to...............

Currently this is the battered and bruised list, with article. We are really going to need Anderson, Harris and Cashman. And every DB for this one. If Jackson runs past our front 7 at any time we need starting DBs ready. The ones with the speed to catch him. JP at his safety spot is a huge key. He needs a great game IMO. Possible QB spy over as much cover a WR or TE, again IMO. The Ravens saved Jackson for the playoffs and that's when he is going to start running more I think

Remember what you felt like before the Chiefs Divisional round blow out? Back then we loved DeShaun, thought he was the one & that team could pull the upset.

Then that first half, looked like fate. Then...

Not trying to negative Nancy you, or temper expectations, just saying I felt this way before. Do you feel different about this time & if so, why?

On the one hand it feels the same. On the other... I never liked O'Brien offense. Smoke & mirrors. While I do like what Slow is doing, I'm getting that smoke & mirrors feel from the MASH unit we have on defense.

Just one more game baby, keep it together for one more game.

Know what I mean?

I do feel different because of DeMeco and Stroud not being BoB and Watson. Frankly not to rehash history but there were several on here that were saying Watson was not as great a QB he was hyped to be, and no it wasn't just coming from @steelbtexan ,and his greatest asset was his ability to play Houdini and escape from trouble, you know like his court cases (sorry had to throw that in). Seriously though there were questions about his accuracy and his ability to thread the needle and throw his receivers open. CJ can't extend a play like Watson can but he usually doesn't have to because he is so accurate I'm waiting for them to draw up a play where he throws a pass to a receiver between a defenders legs. Likewise nothing seems to rattle this kid, he has a 300 lb gorilla charging him and he still throws a 75 yard bullseye. You put him up against the number one man coverage team, which is suppose to be his weakness, and he carves them up so bad they are forced to switch to zone coverage which he then carves that up.

Likewise DeMeco, unlike BoB, seems to know what he knows and more importantly what he doesn't know. He is, rightfully so, trusting his OC and DC to do their jobs and he is focusing on the HC job. I may have missed it or just not remember it but I can't think of any really bad clock management like we use to see all the time with BoB. Its also clear that Slowick has drawn a scheme to fit the team rather than trying to force the team to fit the scheme. I think this is a big reason why rookie and "kick the tires" players are looking like all stars.

Do they win against the Ravens? I don't know but I know I trust them to at least bloody the Raven's nose and make them earn any points they get more than I would have any team BoB coached.

Ravens add RB Dalvin Cook to roster, waive Melvin Gordon
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens switched up their backfield heading into Saturday's divisional playoff game against the Houston Texans, signing Dalvin Cook to the active roster and waiving Melvin Gordon.
Cook, 28, was added to the 53-man roster after spending two weeks on Baltimore's practice squad, his agent told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Ravens have strongly established their passing game..........that makes Jackson's opportunity to run extremely high. The DL alone has to shoulder the responsibility to produce a continuous hard rush while containing Jackson in the pocket. We need all the other positions ready to cover the Raven's potential receivers. I don't know that we can afford to have a "spy".............but I don't know that we can afford not to...............
I agree, don't think we can afford a spy on Lamar. But we definitely have to generate pressure & not let him escape the pocket. Tall order.

Given time, he's got the weapons to get wide open & he can hit them anywhere on the field. So the key is going to be not to give him that time.

I do feel different because of DeMeco and Stroud not being BoB and Watson.
Agreed. But... we were blown out in the divisional round with Kubiak as well. It may be a problem that transcends the coach. & yeah, I get that feel from DeMeco & Stroud that this is the team to get over that hump.

I agree with the offense & Watson, that's what I mean by smoke & mirrors.

Defensively, just not as healthy as I wish we were. Lots of reasons for us to not win this game. It's going to take some heroics, not just once or twice, but 60 minutes.

Agreed. But... we were blown out in the divisional round with Kubiak as well. It may be a problem that transcends the coach. & yeah, I get that feel from DeMeco & Stroud that this is the team to get over that hump.

I agree with the offense & Watson, that's what I mean by smoke & mirrors.

Defensively, just not as healthy as I wish we were. Lots of reasons for us to not win this game. It's going to take some heroics, not just once or twice, but 60 minutes.

Oh I have no doubt this will by far be the hardest game they have played yet and if I'm being honest yeah I'll be surprised if they win. Ravens are number 1 for a reason and they had 3 weeks to heal up, now that could bite them as they haven't been on the front lines in three weeks but Harbough isn't the type to let his players get lazy. That being said I do believe the Texans have a puncher's chance and even with the Chiefs game I felt a lot of things when the Chiefs came back but surprise was not one of them. Kubiak game they got to cocky, F'ing jackets, and they forgot they were playing Tom Brady in his prime in New England. They should have approached that game hopefully how the current Texans are approaching Ravens. As the scrappy underdog that will have to just have more fight in them than the other guys.

Keys to victory -
For mine, Texans must score early and match them score for score. I expect Ravens to be just a little rusty early so that is when we have to take advantage and put points on the board.
They cannot play status quo - but they must keep their must have it plays for those times they really need them.
On paper there is no obvious advantage for the Texans except for one - this current culture and belief that is buoying this team is palpable - and Texans have the luxury of nothing to lose unlike the Ravens.
If we can keep the pressure on them and be in it up into the last few minutes, our chances are very high for an upset victory!

Exactly. And here’s an update on the other side.

Oh I have no doubt this will by far be the hardest game they have played yet and if I'm being honest yeah I'll be surprised if they win. Ravens are number 1 for a reason and they had 3 weeks to heal up, now that could bite them as they haven't been on the front lines in three weeks but Harbough isn't the type to let his players get lazy. That being said I do believe the Texans have a puncher's chance and even with the Chiefs game I felt a lot of things when the Chiefs came back but surprise was not one of them. Kubiak game they got to cocky, F'ing jackets, and they forgot they were playing Tom Brady in his prime in New England. They should have approached that game hopefully how the current Texans are approaching Ravens. As the scrappy underdog that will have to just have more fight in them than the other guys.

Patriots did that to a lot of good teams tho..I know a few here thought we had a shot at a SB in 1 of those years we lost against them, but I know I wasn’t 1 of them. As u noted Brady and Belichick in their primes…in Foxborough….If this game against the ravens is considered an uphill battle…Trying to win those Pats divisional playoff games against that group would be like climbing Mt. Everest.

Keys to victory -
For mine, Texans must score early and match them score for score. I expect Ravens to be just a little rusty early so that is when we have to take advantage and put points on the board.
They cannot play status quo - but they must keep their must have it plays for those times they really need them.
On paper there is no obvious advantage for the Texans except for one - this current culture and belief that is buoying this team is palpable - and Texans have the luxury of nothing to lose unlike the Ravens.
If we can keep the pressure on them and be in it up into the last few minutes, our chances are very high for an upset victory!
And no turnovers will be huge.
Exactly. And here’s an update on the other side.
This is huge

There are weaknesses in the Ravens secondary.

Back