Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs. Eagles Matchups

The Philladelphia Eagles.

Their leading rusher is their QB.

Their leading reciever is their RB.

Guys......... we got this one.

RiotCommander said:
Guys please don't compare Carr to McNabb. As much as I would love to compare their raw skills and say SEE they're equal. Thats not what matters and you know it. If it was Ryan Leaf would be a great QB.
Sorry. I have never seen any thing great out of McNabb. He is an average QB that can't win big games.

If the Eagles are ahead he does great, but you put him behind the 8-ball and he falls apart. But thats my opinion.

The only difference between McNabb and Carr is a soup commercial and throwing up on national T.V.

Andy Reid is responsible for McNabbs success. Look what he did for Feeley. Got a second round pick for a third string QB. Ha.

I think its funny that Carr does the same things as McNabb and people idolize McNabb for some bizarre reason.

TEXANRED said:
Heres my humble opinion.

QB. McNabb/Carr. This match up is even with a slight edge to Carr. Oh I know what the haters have said but lets face facts, Carr is more mobile than McNabb and has about the same accuracy (We all saw the super-bowl, and hasn't been the same since). McNabb had one good passer year and that was with TO on the team, Pre TO McNabb used his legs to make plays. Carr has been the second best rushing QB behind Vick for the last three years. Carr has a bigger arm and is throwing to better quality receivers than what McNabb has. Carr, despite having Gaffney and Bradford and being sacked 67 times he still threw 14 TD's. I have said this for a while now, McNabb is way over-rated.

WR. Johnson/Moulds vs Stallworth/Brown. Without going in depth, Stallworth is another Bradford and Brown would be a #4 on our team.

O-Line. Even. I think. Texans gave up 4 sacks in 4 games against some really good D-Lines. St.Louis and Denver are very good teams. Our one weakness is going to be Weigert.

RB. Texans. Zone blocking. Ron Dayne is a huge pick up. Lundy is solid and Morency can score from anywhere on the field. Ya Ya the Eagles have Westbrook but he is not really a RB but I will get to him in a sec.

TE. Texans. Who do the Eagle have? Smith. Texans have Daniels, Bruener, Putzier and FB/TE BennieJ.

D. This is where I think the Eagles have the advantage.

D-Line. I am giving the edge to the Texans but not by much. IMO the Texans D-Line is more flexible. Weaver, Williams, TJ, Payne for run situations and then Peek, Babin, Williams, Weaver in passing situations.

LB. This one goes to the Eagles. Texans have Ryans but for me the jury is still out on Greenwood. Other than that we lack depth and Orr is going to have to play in a 4/3.

Secondary. Eagles. We got Robinson but thats about it. And no depth due to injury. Eagles CB's are pretty good and the Eagles have Dawkins which is huge.

Kicker. Eagles. I hate Kris Brown. sorry to be so blunt but thats how I feel. Ackers is a very good Kicker, and if it comes down to field goals the Texans will lose this game. Your one job on the team is to kick the football and you shank 35 yard field goals? Your fired.

The X factor. Westbrook or Peek? With Westbrook on the field, you have to account for him. Running or Catching Westbrook will kill your team with a single play. Peek. If the games on the line and you need a stop or turn over, thats your man. Whether its blocking a punt or destroying the QB, in crunch situations he's the single most dangerous defensive player on the field.

But that is just my opinion. I have been know to be wrong once or twice.:redtowel:

McNabb had better numbers last year in 9 games with a sports hernia and bruised sternum than Carr has had in 3 out of his 4 seasons. McNabb's worst season as a starter is comparable to Carr's best. You can't honestly think that Carr is a better QB and more mobile? Carr's most rushing yards is 308 while McNabb has gone over 300 5 times (2 of those times over 400 and once over 600). Carr has thrown more than 3000 yards once while McNabb has done it 4 out of 7 seasons (one of the 3 failures which he didnt start until the last 6 games and one being the injury shortened season last year). McNabb has the BEST Completion to Interception ratio in NFL history. This arm that you talk about with David Carr shows just over 4 passes over 40 yards per season while McNabb averages over 8 per season as a starter. Even if you go to 20+ yards, McNabb averages about 40 20+gains per season while Carr is at about 30. McNabb dominates Carr in every aspect with WORSE receivers (with the exception of the one season with TO).

As for the rest I'll agree on the push at O-line right now although I think the Eagles may turn out better there since it is a very skilled, large O-line that is used to playing together in this system for awhile.

Defense, I think we take the cake in every position except for our weakness at LB.

RB it appears through preseason that you have the advantage...you are running the ball very well, but we also dont know if the Eagles will stay committed to the run like Reid says he will. I think if the Eagles commit to the run that Westbrook and Buck can put up better numbers.

As for Tight End...you do have depth over us but LJ will probably put up better numbers than any two of your TE's combined this season. Your saying a rookie, a 36 year old player who's best season was his rookie year with 26 catches for 238 and 3 touchdowns, and Jeb Putzier have the edge over LJ? LJ has gotten better every season and has developed into a major target. Last year he stepped up to make 61 catches for 682 and 3 TDs. LJ Smith's single best season is better than all of your TE's best seasons put together. Our second TE Matt Schobel puts up better numbers than Bruener as well and falls just behind Putzier because he wasnt utilized in Cincinnati's offense.

You do have better receivers though if Moulds goes back to his production in his prime.

Carr, schmarr....:listening

The Texans D has been let off the leash and I think that they will make the difference in this game.

:wild:

The fact remains, the Eagles played like Eagle poo last year. We can come up with excuses why we played like bull patties as well, but what it comes down to is this season as most offseasons there are a lot of changes on teams that don't do well. Eagles have nothing to base this team on except for a comparison to the Broncos, who wiped the Eagles clean the last time the Denver offense saw them. I'm not saying we are the Broncos, but we play the exact same offense now that Kubiak was running when he last saw the Eagles, so that is the only thing we can base things on. This is a totally different team with only Carr and Andre Johnson the only players that are still at their positions the last time the Eagles played the Texans. That's not much to go on for the Eagles preparation for this team. BIRD SEASON IS IN! (new avarar alert!)

WorthlessBum said:
who doesnt know what they are talking about? who besides trotter in that group is at least solid? barber, no. jones? sorry. being objective -- this unit is below average. if not for trotter, they would be terrible.

out of everything you said about the eagle dline, ill i got was conjecture on your part that the texans will be undermanned. based on what? a rookie? a shell of jevon kearse? a guy in howard who has put up modest numbers in between nursing injuries? come on, baldinger was hanging his hat on health and fundamentals....hey GREAT! but what has this group actually accomplished?? nothing. therefore why should it be objective to say they have the texans completely undermanned?? rubbish.

sure, the fact of the matter is that bucky and westy are healthy, but neither have ever played a full season and neither of them has ever rushed for more than 800 yards. while thinking about those two facts and andy reids play calling tendency (pass first), its reasonable NOT to fear the eagles running attack.

my point on baldinger was that he left out completely relevant facts in his assessment and showed no objectivity in evaluating the two teams. his statements may have been his personal opinion, but we should expect more than fanboy yee-haws from a guy who has a national audience. and just because a national sports writer says something -- that doesnt make it so. i dont live in houston anymore, but when i did, i wasnt much for john mclain's nonsense. i want objective insights from guys like him, not who he thinks is a nice guy and who is a jerk. mclain is another boob who has no business covering sports.

are you counting jerome mathis as a significant loss for the texans? im afraid you dont know what you are talking about. mathis is a return man, nothing more. he has proven zilch as a receiver and even though he can be explosive returning the ball, his absence wont effect the team nearly as much as davis, though lundy has looked good and won the starting job, he has yet to prove himself.

and thanks but no thanks on the news flash, williams is a rookie and im the same with all of them....they have to prove their worth on the field before they can be praised or ridiculed.

W. Bum

Ok so now this use of the word "dreadful" is mitigated to 2 of three LB's being below average which is conjecture on your part. "If not for trotter they would be terrible" So "terrible and "absolutley dreadful" are different? You kind of make my point for me. I didn't say they we're great just that the unit was not dreadful which is the same thing you have said in your revised comment.

Regarding the D-line I don't expect you to say that the Texans are undermanned on the line. But you shouldn't be shocked that non Texan homers think so. It is Baldingers opinion that the texans are across the board are undermanned, I happen to think as an eagle fan that the D-line is the area where this will be most evident. This is not conjecture, Jim Johnson's defenses have consistently ranked in the upper 10 in many areas out side of last year. You seem to dismiss the health issue of our line as though it was not a factor last year.

Regarding Bucky and Westy; while you now acknowledge that they are both healthy for this game you continue to point out irrelevant speculative prognosis as to what the rest of thier season will be like. Regarding this game that is irrelevant, what is relevant is that they are both healthy now and will be for this game. If we played the Texans in week 16 I could see your point.

Regarding Baldingers objectivity, I actually can see your point but for every baldinger out there as a journalist there are 2 Eagle Haters, I take the good with the bad, very few are uninfluenced by something. Baldinger a former Eagle himself covers the eagles at times whereas he is probably not as exposed to the Texans but he is not an Eagle Homer, he will pick against the Eagles quite often. I concede in part to your point on this because as an eagle fan we constantly feel the unfairness of the media, ala guys like Merril Hoge. This is conjecture on both of our parts to assume that Baldinger has not studied the Texans enough though.

Return men like Mathis to a team that needs that kind of spark can be a game changer, I think it is an integral component of the game and can determine good or bad field position in one play. It can be the difference in being in the game into the 4th quarter or not. so yes I think that is a loss for you guys, again this is relevent to this game. Lundy looks good, lets see what he can do, my point here is that you are starting a guy who would ordinarily not be the best player at that position on your team. Same with your CB's.
I think we agree on williams but the point was that Baldy said he wouldn't see the backfield on Sunday. The preseason play of williams would indicate to me that he may be correct, I don't think it is an outlandish claim although it is a bit inflamatory but since baldy is an ex OG It makes sense.

PS...I like the texans, just not this sunday, I do live in houston now.

I'm a diehard Eagles fan, and there is no such thing as an easy win in the NFL ... especially on opening weekend. Any Eagles fan who doesn't expect the Texans to come out loaded for bear is a fool. The expression we use on the Eagles Message Board (EMB) for a fool who posts on the EMB is a "Tater". We have more Taters than non-Taters on the EMB, so feel free to use that term in your responses to trolling Philadelphia fans who come here.

With that said, I do expect the Eagles will win in the end on Sunday. The key mismatch area between the two teams is along the Line of Scrimmage (LOS). The Eagles D-line is very talented and very deep. All eight DEs and DTs will play substantial minutes, and all eight can bring serious pressure on Carr. The full eight player rotation will mean thet the Texans' O-line will constantly be seeing different looks and will be regularly facing well rested players. Carr is going to be in for a long day. His best option will be to go with 3 step drops and quick throws. If the Texans can establish a running game early, that will help Carr alot. The key question is, can they do that?

On Offense, the biggest Eagles weakness in this game is going to be the inexperience of the Eagles' WRs, but their TEs and Brian Westbrook should give Donovan McNabb plenty of non-WR targets on each passing play.

The battle between the Texans' D-line and the Eagles' O-line for control of the LOS during running plays will be key. The 2005 Eagles made no commitment to the running game, but if the Eagles are going to be successful in 2006, they will need to run in at least 45% of their offensive snaps. Westbrrok, Buckhalter and Moats are going to need to be patient and use the blocking of the Eagles' O-line to pound out a running game. The Texans are going to need to take that running game away by stuffing the running lanes. That will only happen if the Texans' D-line neutralizes the Eagles blockers and the LBs and SS come up and plug the resultant gaps. My question to you Texans fans is, "can the Texans' D accomplish that?" If they can't I think it is going to be a long afternoon for y'all.

Thoughts?

I agree with you that the game will be won/lost in the trenches. They usually are.

May the best team win.

:texans: :texan:

Howdy, mattwill, and welcome to the Texans forum :howdy:

I think your point about our offense is accurate. We have so many questions regarding our o-line and QB after four seasons (and 200+ sacks), that this is THE focal point that will measure Kubiak's [immediate] impact to the team.

I think this game will be a defensive battle all the way. The Philly D will bring it, and it shall be interesting to see how our offense meets the challenge. If Carr can make good decisions under pressure - including getting rid of the ball - then we might score enough for our defense to hold the game. DC has more weapons than at any point in his career with legitimate nos. 1 / 2 WRs, and a solid TE, so key for us is to establish a running game early. If we can consistently get first downs on the ground, the Eagle could press to play the run and we might be able to take advantage.

I think our defense is a work in progress, but could start to make an impact as soon as the first game. It will depend on our d-line putting pressure on McNabb and stopping the run. If DM has time to make his reads, he'll tear our secondary up in no time. Hopefully, we’ll get to him early to rattle him and maybe disrupt his timing and groove.

EF55 said:
The preseason play of williams would indicate to me that he may be correct, I don't think it is an outlandish claim although it is a bit inflamatory but since baldy is an ex OG It makes sense.
This kind of comment would lead me to believe, that you didn't watch the Texans preseason games and just caught the box score, watched sportscenter, or read a newspaper. If you did watch the games(living in Houston I think you would have), then you didn't pay much attention to Mario. He played just fine and was given a lot of attention from the opposing team's O-line. Overall our D-line looked BETTER THAN EVER.
Any article talking about or D-line (specifically our pass rush) that focuses on Mario and doesn't mention Weaver, Peek, or Babin is not very informed as they are going to have a big impact on our pass rush.

LBC_Justin said:
This kind of comment would lead me to believe, that you didn't watch the Texans preseason games and just caught the box score, watched sportscenter, or read a newspaper. If you did watch the games(living in Houston I think you would have), then you didn't pay much attention to Mario. He played just fine and was given a lot of attention from the opposing team's O-line. Overall our D-line looked BETTER THAN EVER.
Any article talking about or D-line (specifically our pass rush) that focuses on Mario and doesn't mention Weaver, Peek, or Babin is not very informed as they are going to have a big impact on our pass rush.

You are right-on LBC. After our D-line opens a couple of cans of "whoop-ass" on Sunday, they will start getting a lot more rep than they are now....but they really have to bring it...consistantly.

I think the key the matchup is how well we can bootleg and make the defensive line (the Eagles biggest Strength) a non factor. By rolling out a lot we have the defensive line void and put the pressure on the linebackers and defensive backs to make plays. Linebackers for the Eagles are a little suspect in the passing game and Carr has shown that he is indecisive on the run. This is the greatest questionmark for the Texans. They should be able to run the ball based on the bootleg setup. On defense however, McNabb and Stallworth may still not be on the same page and with Avant and Baskett being rookies, I'm left wonder if our less than stellar secondary can actually contain McNabb with so few weapons.

Im not going to say what kind of plays should or shouldn't be run because I don't know....but I think it's going to come down to execution...How many missed assignments we have...how many blown coverages ect....I think we have the talent to compete/beat the Eagles in this non big-game setting....

xtruroyaltyx said:
Im not going to say what kind of plays should or shouldn't be run because I don't know....but I think it's going to come down to execution...How many missed assignments we have...how many blown coverages ect....I think we have the talent to compete/beat the Eagles in this non big-game setting....

I agree, thats why the Eagles are favored. Our guys on the LOS on both sides of the ball are playing much better than last year, last year this would probably have been a blow out. But even though we're playing better we just don't have much game experience together as a unit to avoid the mistakes that will give the Eagles an advantage. If we win I'll be surprised, because that would mean we played pretty much mistake free. Plus Carr is still shell shocked IMO.

BTW xtruroyaltyx, I love the avatar. I sometimes sit and stare at that for 5 minutes... I remember that game and its great to see that play in slow motion.

TEXANRED said:
Sorry. I have never seen any thing great out of McNabb. He is an average QB that can't win big games.

If the Eagles are ahead he does great, but you put him behind the 8-ball and he falls apart. But thats my opinion.

The only difference between McNabb and Carr is a soup commercial and throwing up on national T.V.

Andy Reid is responsible for McNabbs success. Look what he did for Feeley. Got a second round pick for a third string QB. Ha.

I think its funny that Carr does the same things as McNabb and people idolize McNabb for some bizarre reason.

Are you kidding me?! Please say this is a joke. You are seriously comparing David Carr to Donovan McNabb... WOW. Is David Carr a 5 time Pro-Bowler? I guess that's everyone's fault but Carrs, right? Pathetic.

McNabb has had trash receivers since he got to Philadelphia. He had TO, a real receiver for a year, and showed what he could do.

I'm also very sick of people questioning McNabb's toughness. He played all through last season with a sports hernia, he played nearly an entire game on a broken ankle. You'd be out of breath and coughing too if you were getting KILLED after nearly every snap while your Center gets exposed in the Superbowl. Of course, I guess you'll believe Freddie Mitchell and Me-O, who were the clowns that started that rumor.

If you honestly think David Carr can outscramble McNabb, then I suggest re-evaluate your stance as a knowledgeable football fan.

Wow...I'm sorry, I'm just completely shocked that someone would take the step to compare Carr to McNabb... amazing.

We will have to ride David Carrs arm and decision making this game. Carr will need to have some long passes completed if we are to get anywhere with this defense. He will need to spread it around and find the deep open man on a few drives for us to score. Our TE will see plenty of action as well.

TEXANRED said:
Heres my humble opinion.

QB. McNabb/Carr. This match up is even with a slight edge to Carr. Oh I know what the haters have said but lets face facts, Carr is more mobile than McNabb and has about the same accuracy (We all saw the super-bowl, and hasn't been the same since). McNabb had one good passer year and that was with TO on the team, Pre TO McNabb used his legs to make plays. Carr has been the second best rushing QB behind Vick for the last three years. Carr has a bigger arm and is throwing to better quality receivers than what McNabb has. Carr, despite having Gaffney and Bradford and being sacked 67 times he still threw 14 TD's. I have said this for a while now, McNabb is way over-rated.

WR. Johnson/Moulds vs Stallworth/Brown. Without going in depth, Stallworth is another Bradford and Brown would be a #4 on our team.

O-Line. Even. I think. Texans gave up 4 sacks in 4 games against some really good D-Lines. St.Louis and Denver are very good teams. Our one weakness is going to be Weigert.

RB. Texans. Zone blocking. Ron Dayne is a huge pick up. Lundy is solid and Morency can score from anywhere on the field. Ya Ya the Eagles have Westbrook but he is not really a RB but I will get to him in a sec.

TE. Texans. Who do the Eagle have? Smith. Texans have Daniels, Bruener, Putzier and FB/TE BennieJ.

D. This is where I think the Eagles have the advantage.

D-Line. I am giving the edge to the Texans but not by much. IMO the Texans D-Line is more flexible. Weaver, Williams, TJ, Payne for run situations and then Peek, Babin, Williams, Weaver in passing situations.

LB. This one goes to the Eagles. Texans have Ryans but for me the jury is still out on Greenwood. Other than that we lack depth and Orr is going to have to play in a 4/3.

Secondary. Eagles. We got Robinson but thats about it. And no depth due to injury. Eagles CB's are pretty good and the Eagles have Dawkins which is huge.

Kicker. Eagles. I hate Kris Brown. sorry to be so blunt but thats how I feel. Ackers is a very good Kicker, and if it comes down to field goals the Texans will lose this game. Your one job on the team is to kick the football and you shank 35 yard field goals? Your fired.

The X factor. Westbrook or Peek? With Westbrook on the field, you have to account for him. Running or Catching Westbrook will kill your team with a single play. Peek. If the games on the line and you need a stop or turn over, thats your man. Whether its blocking a punt or destroying the QB, in crunch situations he's the single most dangerous defensive player on the field.

But that is just my opinion. I have been know to be wrong once or twice.:redtowel:
Next time, keep your opinions to yourself. Better to remain silent and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

QB - McNabb, by 10 miles. On his best day, with a genie granting him three wishes, Carr, couldn't even hold Donovan's jock. Get real.

WR - Houston, of course. Although with Carr on his back most of the day, they might not be very productive.

O-Line - Seriously? One line has given up a million sacks. The other is the Eagles.

TE - Since most consider L.J. Smith a Pro Bowl caliber TE, and most people can't name the Texans' TE without them wearing name tags....

Defense - Eagles

Defensive Line - Eagles. Again, the only guy recognizable is Mario Williams. Not for what he can do (I mean, how many times can you end up on your back during the PRESEASON), but for being the "other guy" that will be mentioned years from now when everyone is still raving about Reggie Bush (sort of like Michael Jordan and Sam Bowie).

Linebackers - Although the Eagles have the best LB in Jeremiah Trotter, they are a little thin at the other spots. The Texans don't have anyone, but I'll give this one a wash.

Secondary - Eagles

Kickers - Pro Bowler David Akers. Easy one.

X Factor - Given the fact that absolutely no one on the Texans can cover Westbrook, and no one knows who Peek is, I'll give this one to the Eagles as well.

Dawkins said:
Are you kidding me?! Please say this is a joke. You are seriously comparing David Carr to Donovan McNabb... WOW. Is David Carr a 5 time Pro-Bowler? I guess that's everyone's fault but Carrs, right? Pathetic.

McNabb has had trash receivers since he got to Philadelphia. He had TO, a real receiver for a year, and showed what he could do.

I'm also very sick of people questioning McNabb's toughness. He played all through last season with a sports hernia, he played nearly an entire game on a broken ankle. You'd be out of breath and coughing too if you were getting KILLED after nearly every snap while your Center gets exposed in the Superbowl. Of course, I guess you'll believe Freddie Mitchell and Me-O, who were the clowns that started that rumor.

If you honestly think David Carr can outscramble McNabb, then I suggest re-evaluate your stance as a knowledgeable football fan.

Wow...I'm sorry, I'm just completely shocked that someone would take the step to compare Carr to McNabb... amazing.
It completely amazes me that anyone would even put them in the same conversation, much less suggest that Carr might be better. Anytime I hear this, it just reaffirms my thought about the Texans.

To end the conversation, I'll ask one question: Which QB would you rather have, McNabb or Carr? Please answer honestly.

mattwill said:
The battle between the Texans' D-line and the Eagles' O-line for control of the LOS during running plays will be key. The 2005 Eagles made no commitment to the running game, but if the Eagles are going to be successful in 2006, they will need to run in at least 45% of their offensive snaps. Westbrrok, Buckhalter and Moats are going to need to be patient and use the blocking of the Eagles' O-line to pound out a running game. The Texans are going to need to take that running game away by stuffing the running lanes. That will only happen if the Texans' D-line neutralizes the Eagles blockers and the LBs and SS come up and plug the resultant gaps. My question to you Texans fans is, "can the Texans' D accomplish that?" If they can't I think it is going to be a long afternoon for y'all.

Thoughts?

Not a bad post. But you're basing your offensive prowess on a running game you don't have, and haven't had since DueceStaley.

Your leading rusher for the last what........ 4...... 5 years has been McNabb. If you want to committ to a running game, you have to get a lead early. With David's slow start, that might happen, but if our D plays like they've been playing...... I wouldn't bet on it.

thunderkyss said:
Not a bad post. But you're basing your offensive prowess on a running game you don't have, and haven't had since DueceStaley.

Your leading rusher for the last what........ 4...... 5 years has been McNabb. If you want to committ to a running game, you have to get a lead early. With David's slow start, that might happen, but if our D plays like they've been playing...... I wouldn't bet on it.

Apparently you don't watch much playoff football. If you did, you would clearly see that McNabb doesn't run anywhere near as much as he did his first 2-3 years. Committing to the run doesn't require a lead, just what was said - a committment. With a new, much better blocking center, the running game will be there.

If your D plays like they've been playing, it won't matter what the Eagles try to do. Everything will work. I'm sure everyone will say "look at what we did in the preseason." Hey, everyone is great in the preseason.

09/10/2006 - Reality check.

Green Bird said:
Apparently you don't watch much playoff football. If you did, you would clearly see that McNabb doesn't run anywhere near as much as he did his first 2-3 years. Committing to the run doesn't require a lead, just what was said - a committment. With a new, much better blocking center, the running game will be there.

If your D plays like they've been playing, it won't matter what the Eagles try to do. Everything will work. I'm sure everyone will say "look at what we did in the preseason." Hey, everyone is great in the preseason.

09/10/2006 - Reality check.

You guys were in the playoffs last year? Someone check that for me I was almost sure they were 6-10.

thunderkyss said:

Not to be a jerk, but you haven't a clue of what you speak.

Go back to 2003. Our leading rusher wasn't Duce Staley. It was Buck. And if you look back to that season you'll see that the Eagles can, and WILL run the ball effectively. Westbrook wasn't even supposed to be our starter in 2004 when we went to the SB - Buck was. He's the best runner we have, and talent wise, the guy is one of the better runners in the NFL. Health has been his only problem. BTW, we had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL that season, and I believe (could be mistaken) we averaged over 5 yards a carry as well.

The 2004 and 2005 seasons were influenced by He Who We Shall Not Name needing the ball 15 times a game. That isn't our offense. We like to run about 42% of the time, and spread the ball around in the passing game.

In addition, this is the best run blocking OL we've had under Reid. Andrews is going to be known around the NFL as the best OG in the NFL by the end of this year. He's slimmed down to 340 (yes, that is him at a low weight). He is simply dominating. Our Center Jamaal Jackson battled the best NT in football to a draw against the Steelers. He is a HUGE upgrade for us compared to 2003. Runyan is Runyan - one of the best RTs in football, and arguably the nastiest OL in the whole NFL.

BTW, McNabb has never lead the Eagles in rushing in his career. Not even once. I don't know where you got that idea, but you made it up.

Texans_Chick said:
That's why the Texans rushing offense was ranked 6th in the preseason.
From here on, there shall be no more mention of anything that happened in the preseason. Nothing.

It matters not. The only people who put stock in preseason performance are people whose teams don't have much else to talk about.

Green Bird said:
It completely amazes me that anyone would even put them in the same conversation, much less suggest that Carr might be better. Anytime I hear this, it just reaffirms my thought about the Texans.

To end the conversation, I'll ask one question: Which QB would you rather have, McNabb or Carr? Please answer honestly.
Carr is a TEXAN and I love the Texans. Over the past 4 years McNabb has been the better player, but do keep in mind that we're talking about the past. Personally I don't like McNabb as a player, don't think he is that great of a player.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:

Go back to 2003. Our leading rusher wasn't Duce Staley. It was Buck. And if you look back to that season you'll see that the Eagles can, and WILL run the ball effectively. Westbrook wasn't even supposed to be our starter in 2004 when we went to the SB - Buck was. He's the best runner we have, and talent wise, the guy is one of the better runners in the NFL. Health has been his only problem. BTW, we had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL that season, and I believe (could be mistaken) we averaged over 5 yards a carry as well.

The 2004 and 2005 seasons were influenced by He Who We Shall Not Name needing the ball 15 times a game. That isn't our offense. We like to run about 42% of the time, and spread the ball around in the passing game.

In addition, this is the best run blocking OL we've had under Reid. Andrews is going to be known around the NFL as the best OG in the NFL by the end of this year. He's slimmed down to 340 (yes, that is him at a low weight). He is simply dominating. Our Center Jamaal Jackson battled the best NT in football to a draw against the Steelers. He is a HUGE upgrade for us compared to 2003. Runyan is Runyan - one of the best RTs in football, and arguably the nastiest OL in the whole NFL.

BTW, McNabb has never lead the Eagles in rushing in his career. Not even once. I don't know where you got that idea, but you made it up.
Pure perception by people who can't see outside the border of the state of Texas.

Green Bird said:
From here on, there shall be no more mention of anything that happened in the preseason. Nothing.

It matters not. The only people who put stock in preseason performance are people whose teams don't have much else to talk about.

Would you rather talk about last years Eagles? Lets face it both teams only have the preseason to go on. You guys don't exactly have a lot of rings on your fingers either.

TEXANRED said:
Sorry. I have never seen any thing great out of McNabb. He is an average QB that can't win big games. I must have missed when Carr actually won something. Dude please, McNabb has won games 10 times bigger than this game.

TEXANRED said:
The only difference between McNabb and Carr is a soup commercial and throwing up on national T.V.This comment doesn't even warrant a response.:rolleyes:

You need to put the kool-aid down. You can't even begin to compare Carr to number 5.

southtexan said:
Carr is a TEXAN and I love the Texans. Over the past 4 years McNabb has been the better player, but do keep in mind that we're talking about the past. Personally I don't like McNabb as a player, don't think he is that great of a player.

McNabb is a top 3 QB in the NFL, period. Only clueless twits don't consider him among the leagues best players.

McNabb is so far out of Carrs realm it isn't even funny. McNabb is having a Hall Of Fame career.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
McNabb is a top 3 QB in the NFL, period. Only clueless twits don't consider him among the leagues best players.

McNabb is so far out of Carrs realm it isn't even funny. McNabb is having a Hall Of Fame career.

P. Manning
T. Brady
C. Palmer

Those are my top 3, I think McNabb is a top 5 though. Just my humble opinion.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:

Top 3 QB in the NFL? Now who's drinking the kool aid. Manning, Brady, Palmer, and Hasslebeck ring a bell? You could make a case that he's a top 3 QB in the NFC but not the NFL.

southtexan said:
Again, I will ask the question. Would you rather have McNabb or Carr? A five time Pro-Bowler, former runner-up MVP, or an unproven QB?

Jerome_Brown_99 said:

Let's keep the insults off the MB--thanks.

Go back to 2003. Our leading rusher wasn't Duce Staley. It was Buck.

Buck has never had a season as the leading rusher--Westbrook was the 2003 leader 613 yds vs. 542 yds.

BTW, we had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL that season, and I believe (could be mistaken) we averaged over 5 yards a carry as well.

Philly was 9th in rushing ypg and 4.8 ypc--very respectable.

Yup--once--2000--Link Don't know where the rest of the assertion came from.

texasguy346 said:
Top 3 QB in the NFL? Now who's drinking the kool aid. Manning, Brady, Palmer, and Hasslebeck ring a bell? You could make a case that he's a top 3 QB in the NFC but not the NFL.
Hasselbeck? Sorry, try again.

FlyEaglesFly said:
Hasselbeck? Sorry, try again.

Look at his stats. He was the leading QB in the NFC last season. You could even make a case for Delhomme over McNabb. Put the blind homerism aside & take a look at it objectively.

Hasselbeck
65.5% 3459yds 7.70YPA 24TDs 9INTs 98.2 QB Rat

WorthlessBum said:
instead of all you dunce eagle fans dropping in to announce how the eagles are going to whip the texans this week -- how about throwing out some valid reasons why....and the response "im here to inform you the eagles are gonna kick butt because im a BIG eagles fan and its my job" is stupid nonsense that shouldnt be allowed to take up space on these boards.

for example, i would argue the texans have a great shot at winning this game because --

the eagles have reworked the 23rd rated dline from a year ago, but what about the LBs behind them?? save trotter, this unit could be exposed against a texans team that ran pretty well in the pre season. knowing that they are facing a solid secordary, it wouldnt surprise me to see the texans come out and try and run alot against the eagles, while picking their spots against a usually blitz happy eagle D, no matter how good the secondary, if the oline can give Carr a few seconds of protection, i like johnson and moulds to be able to find some spots to make plays.

that being said, the eagles arent very scary on offense. honestly, eagle fans better hope for big things from stallworth and reggie brown, because andy reid hasnt shown much faith in the westbrook running attack (last year the eagles were primarily a pass first offense --- what does reid have against westbrook?? sure the guy is a good receiving back, but i think he can run as well). additionally, the texans showed a pretty stout defense in the preseason and the new 4-3 defense could give some real trouble to the eagle offense. it wouldnt surprise me to see a lot of david akers in this one.

to me, all of that adds up to a game that should be a close one, with both teams having things they "need" to do in order to win. being a texan fan, i like the texans chances on running against the eagles and being able to exploit johnson and moulds in man coverage. i also think the defense has shown enough promise in the preseason to think that they can keep the held down to a couple of fgs and a touchdown. if so, a 1-0 start wouldnt be a surprise.

id really like to hear from some eagles guys as to "why" they think they can/should/will win, but please, try to be objective and factual...

thanks,

W. Bum
The Eagles will win because....

OFFENSE

#5- McNabb is one of the best QB's in the NFL and he is supposedly sharper than ever. You know what's scary... he was great BEFORE Terrel Owens. These recievers that he has in Stallworth, Brown, Smith, and Westbrook is the best group he's been with except for the TO "era". He can still move in the pocket and he has been reluctant to cross the line of scrimmage in preseason becuase why risk damaging the franchise?

Return of the rush- Westbrook has the skills to be in the top 10 running backs as a rusher. As an all-around back he already has those honors, but he will be known as a rusher as well this year as long as he isn't injured. If you look up the numbers, Reid called a 53/47 pass/run ratio before the Owens era. Why run it for 3 or 4 when you can bomb it for 20 and complete it every time? Now with TO gone, the rush should come back.

Balanced pass- McNabb is great at buying time and working every reciever into his gameplan. 2 TE sets and 3 or 4 WR sets are going to be seen a lot and McNabb will make sure the defense watches everyone, including him. Besides the 4 guys I mentioned before- Schoebel, Tapeh, Greg Lewis, Avant, Baskett, and Buckhalter are all going to be seeing touches this year.

Offensive line- Two words... Deep and Dangerous. Jackson impressed last year when he filled in for the injured Hank Fraley, Shawn Andrews has shown he could be amazing in his short career. Runyan and Thomas are already polished Pro Bowl veterans and Herremans is in the same boat as Jackson... he impressed last year as a replacement. We also have two rookies, Max Jean Gilles and Justice, two guys in the top of the rookie class in their positions. The rest of the backups have experience and they are young and ready to prove themselves.

DEFENSE

D-Line- You guys have already gone over how dangerous they are going to be. The linebackers don't need to be great in this defense when we have a good line, it's the nature of Jim Johnson's system.

Trotter- One of the best run stuffers in the NFL, hands down. The OLBs are Dhani Jones and Matt McCoy. McCoy is a playmaker in the making, and at this point he is a risk/reward type guy. At SLB, Jones doesn't break plays wide open, but he doesn't screw up very often.

Secondary- In 04, 3 out of 4 of these guys made it to the pro bowl. Enough said.

ST's

Akers is an excellent kicker and Dirk Johnson is an average punter. Reno Mahe, our primary return isn't the cream of the crop but he's pretty good.

Why you will lose-

From what I've heard, you are learning a new offense and a new defense. That's not easy to do. Moulds and Johnson are your best weapons but your QB can't get them the ball without protection. Wali Lundy is a rookie and yes, Kubiak has a good scheme, but if it just automatically works for any team who plugs it in... EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL WOULD USE IT. There's no guarantee at all that the Texans will be the next Broncos. Your secondary has Dunta Robinson who is good but other than that you are suspect. Your LB group is decent and your defensive line seems to be way overrated by the guys on the Eagles board.

I'm saying 38-6

texasguy346 said:
Look at his stats. He was the leading QB in the NFC last season. You could even make a case for Delhomme over McNabb. Put the blind homerism aside & take a look at it objectively.
He led becuase McNabb was hurt. Pretty smooth thinking, buddy.

RiotCommander said:
Would you rather talk about last years Eagles? Lets face it both teams only have the preseason to go on. You guys don't exactly have a lot of rings on your fingers either.
Yes, but the Eagles have a recent history of playoff success to go on, and any twit with 1/2 a brain knows that last year was a result of so many injuries it was comical.

The preseason is for "bubble" players trying to make a team. That's why most starters play one half at the most in a game. Anyone making predictions based on the preseason has absolutely no clue what the NFL is about.

texasguy346 said:
Look at the career numbers and get back to me.

Green Bird said:
Yes, but the Eagles have a recent history of playoff success to go on, and any twit with 1/2 a brain knows that last year was a result of so many injuries it was comical.

The preseason is for "bubble" players trying to make a team. That's why most starters play one half at the most in a game. Anyone making predictions based on the preseason has absolutely no clue what the NFL is about.

Hey live off past success if it makes you feel better. And your season was rather comical last year. I really liked the sit-ups in the driveway.

In all seriousness I hope someone lays T.O. out this year, and I don't much care who does it. The guy gets away with doing anything he wants, and there is always some other schmuck waiting to pick him up.

RiotCommander said:
Hey live off past success if it makes you feel better. And your season was rather comical last year. I really liked the sit-ups in the driveway.

In all seriousness I hope someone lays T.O. out this year, and I don't much care who does it. The guy gets away with doing anything he wants, and there is always some other schmuck waiting to pick him up.
I hope you are saying that the off-field stuff was comical and not the on-field, because Texan fans are the LAST ones who should be talking about comical performances on the field.

Thank you for feeling the same way about TO as us.

Wow.... this thread is hilarious. I give some of you Texans fans kudos for knowing what is what and others --- well y'all have some major issues.

Carr is better than McNabb? Wow. I never ever ever thought I would hear anybody say that.

Howard had no help when he was with the Saints. Everybody knows that. Come on now. Putting him in there on the Eagles Defense with Kearse is going to be insane. Everybody knows that you need at least one great DE and one decent DE on the ends to even be competitive. One side breaks down, the other one does also. Have you ever even played one down of football in your life? Oh yeah, watch out for McCoy... the guy is one crazy mofo out on the field.

DEFENSE:

Trotter MLB - 4-time probowler for a reason.
Kearse DE - 3-time probowler -- you know who he is.
Patterson LDT - made an immediate impact in his rookie campaign (2005), leading the defensive line with 66 tackles and leading all Eagle DTs and NFL rookie DTs with 3.5 sacks.
Walker RDT - 4th is most sacks as a DT since 2002 w/ 20.5 sacks
Howard DE - 44.5 sacks in six season as a SAINT
Jones SLB - lucky to be starting -- hot & cold.
McCoy WLB - 2nd year player and an animal out on the field
Brown CB - Should have been a probowler last year but he had 4 INTs and was one of three NFL players to record a touchdown via a fumble return and via an interception return.
Sheppard CB - Probowler and can be a major force
Dawkins FS - 5 time probowler and future Hall of Famer... enough said!
Lewis SS - Houston is home but Philly is where his heart lies. Probowler and 402 tackles in three years. Lewis and Dawkins are the top safety tandem in the NFL.

Yeah..... you should be scared. :shades:

OFFENSE:

McNabb QB - 5-time probowler and one of the biggest threats in the NFL via the air or the ground. Highest winning percentage among active QBs in the NFL (.682). Lowest Interception Percentage among active NFL QBs (2.24). NFC Offensive Player of the Year in 2004. On the road to being the most winningest QB in a decade.

mcnabb1_05stats.jpg

2,943 Pass Attepts, 1718 Completions, 19,433 passing yards, and 134 Passing TDs... you do the math. Watch the guy play and get out of bad situations. The guy amazes me and the commentators every time. He is just in his prime now. McNabb holds the first spot for the record for most consecutive pass attempts completed - 24 - against the New York Giants and Green Bay Packers in 2004 over two games. McNabb is the second least intercepted quarterback per pass attempt in NFL history, behind only Neil O'Donnell, formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is the only NFL Quarterback in history to throw for more than 30 touchdowns and less than 10 Interceptions in a season (2004 - 31 TD, 8 INT). Want more? LOL!

LJ SMITH TE - in the Top Ten for best TEs in the NFL. He had 61 receptions last year for 682 yards -- 3 TDs. Many TEs went to the Probowl with those numbers. He is also a great blocker and this will only be his third year. Last year was his first year as a starter.

William 'Tra' Thomas OT - 3-time probowler.

Runyan OT - probowler. Has started in all 96 regular season games as an Eagle.

Herremans LG - First saw him play last year. Will have to see what he can do as a started. Not sure on this one.

Jackson G - Looked great thusfar but will have to see as the season progresses. He is a beast though.

Andrews G - A monster that every QB in the NFL wants to have protecting them. Probowler and will be the next Larry Allen.

Tapeh FB - tough kid that can run. Will have to see what he can do. Good blocker thusfar.

Westbrook RB - Probowler. He just keeps getting better and better. One of the biggest threats in the NFL.

west1_stats_06.jpg

Buckhalter RB - If he stays healthy this year, he will be a probowler.

Stallworth WR - had 70 receptions for 945 yards and 7 TDs last year with the Saints. Who was his QB? Yeah, exactly. Who is his QB this year? Now you are getting the picture.

Brown WR - #1 WR on the depth charts for a reason. Going to be a probowler if he stays healthy this year and will turn a lot of heads by the end of the season. Despite being a full-time starter for just the final nine games of the season, he led all NFL rookies with 571 receiving yards. Who was his QB for a lot of those games? McMahon. Imagine what he will accomplish this year with McNabb at QB. DAYUM!

Akers K - 3-time probowler. Ranks tied for 4th on the NFL's all-time list with an 82.0% career field goal percentage (155 of 189 atts.) Plays just as well when he is hurt also. He hits 57 yarders for breakfast.

furferret2 said:
He led becuase McNabb was hurt. Pretty smooth thinking, buddy.

Bulger was ahead of him too. Oh and he was hurt too so that excuse doesn't go too far. As well as a few others. News flash here McNabbs best season was with a certain disgruntled receiver. Ever think he might have played a role in his success? Before and after TO his QB Rating never got above 86. Considering the nature of the offense he plays in compared to the nature of offense Delhomme plays in it's pretty easy to see who the better QB is and he doesn't wear number 5.

southtexan said:
What would you expect? I don't suppose that you expect me to cheer for McNabb and the Eagles...would you?
No, I don't expect you to cheer for the Eagles, but for you to say that given a choice between the two you'd take Carr is completely asinine.

texasguy346 said:

Hasselbeck
65.5% 3459yds 7.70YPA 24TDs 9INTs 98.2 QB Rat

Last season. Ummmm, McNabb got injured in Week 1 last year. Yes, Hasslebeck was the leading QB in the NFC last year but would not have if McNabb was healthy. I can bet you on that.

Back