Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans vs. Eagles Matchups

thunderkyss said:
blah, blah, blah...... we had 11 starters on IR........

blah, blah, blah........ we stopped LT

blah, blah, blha......... our Dline was injured against Denver

stop it..... stop it.... stop making excuses, The Eagles sucked in '05, you'll suck in '06, and you'll suck in '07.

why?? because you'll be waiting three years for McNabb to turn it around... that's the way these things work.
Do you have a clue of what you're talking about? No, seriously, do you have any idea?

When a team goes to 4 straight NFC Championship games in a row, then suddenly they have a 6-10 season, a season where they lost multiple players, most of them stars and pro bowlers, do you think the injuries had to do with it?

The Eagles were bouncing around .500 before McNabb went down, a respectable season considering he had a nagging sports hernia and other players were going down.

I'll admit we sucked in 05, but to say we'll suck in 06 and 07 is pretty laughable, especially coming from the Texans.

LOL. You guys are funny.

Go and watch "Invincable" because that's the only success story you'll be seeing out of Philly this year.

You guys need more bar tenders to play on your team. Oh, i forgot: You have a thick roster of Pro Bowlers. Get off the "We have more Pro Bowlers" gig...what's next, you're going to crack out your Topps trading cards and read me the stats of your players? Geez.......you guys are yesterday's news.

:superman:

texasguy346 said:
The Texans lost to the Pats in OT by 3 in the regular season the year the Pats & Panthers squared off in the SB. That was under Dom Capers so I wouldn't discount what this team could do under an offensive minded coach like Kubiak.

Furthermore, we actually beat the Panthers that year .... FWIW .... which IMO is very little at this point

texasguy346 said:
The Texans lost to the Pats in OT by 3 in the regular season the year the Pats & Panthers squared off in the SB. That was under Dom Capers so I wouldn't discount what this team could do under an offensive minded coach like Kubiak.
The Texans were better back then. I'm talking about today's Texans vs. the Pats in their prime.

You won what ALL analysts agree on is a very soft NFC right now. Face it: When the NFC goes to the Super Bowl this long and gets their rears beaten back to where they come from...you guys don't have a tough conference to "win."

Again: The NFC champ, at this point in time, is about as good as the AFC wild card team.

furferret2 said:
The Texans were better back then. I'm talking about today's Texans vs. the Pats in their prime.

The Texans of today are better than the Texans back then. As I mentioned we were under Dom Capers back then and now we're under Kubiak there's already vast improvement. Again this was the year the Pats won their 2nd SB against the Panthers. Are you saying that when they won their 3rd SB next year against your Eagles that only that specific year was their prime? Seems to me like winning 2 SBs in consecutive seasons would qualify as their prime.

furferret2 said:
Do you have a clue of what you're talking about? No, seriously, do you have any idea?

When a team goes to 4 straight NFC Championship games in a row, then suddenly they have a 6-10 season, a season where they lost multiple players, most of them stars and pro bowlers, do you think the injuries had to do with it?

The Eagles were bouncing around .500 before McNabb went down, a respectable season considering he had a nagging sports hernia and other players were going down.

I'll admit we sucked in 05, but to say we'll suck in 06 and 07 is pretty laughable, especially coming from the Texans.

The last team to go to 4 straight Conference championship games in a row slipped into mediocrity faster than you can say Eagles suck, and have yet to recover. Can you name that team??

Didn't think so.........

gpshafer_1976 said:
Eagles fan is too proud for a team that hasn't won the Super Bowl since when? Oh that's right...you have never won a Super Bowl.

Man, we might not be ripping it up ourselves...but we've been in existence for only four or five years. What's your excuse?

Go grab yourselves a trophy, and then come back here and brag to us about how great your team is.

Because all I have seen is a puking, gagging QB who's too tired to finish the job when other people who've come back from broken legs :crutch: are hoisting the team onto their shoulders.

Winning the entire NFC is about as difficult as winning the Wild Card in the AFC.
Winning the Super Bowl is overrated as the criteria of success. All you have to do is look at all the people who support the 31 teams who don't win it every year. Texans fans are passionate for their team this year, right? Are you likely to win the Super Bowl this year? No. Does that reduce your passion? No.

Passion comes from the heart. Being a fan only of a SB winner comes from the head. Football fans are all about heart.

thunderkyss said:
If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003. you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06.
You are mistaken. The Eagles O produed 40 TDs in 2003 and 42 TDs in 2004. That's a 5% increase.

I think you would agree that if the Texans only increase their TD production 5% this year you will be very dissapointed.

In fact the 2002 Eagles O produced 42 TDs ... exactly the same number that the TO Eagles produced in 2004.

So bottom-line, the question is, "Will the absence of TO make any difference in the TD output of the Eagles?"

Injuries on the other hand can make a huge impact. The 2005 Eagles O only produced 32 TDs.

thunderkyss said:
blah, blah, blah...... we had 11 starters on IR........

blah, blah, blah........ we stopped LT

blah, blah, blha......... our Dline was injured against Denver

stop it..... stop it.... stop making excuses, The Eagles sucked in '05, you'll suck in '06, and you'll suck in '07.

why?? because you'll be waiting three years for McNabb to turn it around... that's the way these things work.
I happen to agree with you on the blah, blah, blah. Instead of talking smack and/or trolling, which is what a large portion of the Eagles posters here are doing, lets talk football. Nothing will change the number of Super Bowls the eagles have won or not won. Nothing will change the number of NFCCGs won or lost either. In fact, nothing that has happened in the past affects Sunday's game. Only the players and coaches who walk on the field will affect the outcome. The rest is simply smack talk. Interesting, but not really on point.

mattwill said:
You are mistaken. The Eagles O produed 40 TDs in 2003 and 42 TDs in 2004. That's a 5% increase.

I suspect TK was talking about passing TD's which went from 17 in 2003 to 32 in 2004. As you point out the net result was only a 2 TD increase because the running game went from 23 TD's to 10.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Because you have zero clue about what Kubiak has done in the offseason. Zero.

And that's exactly why Thunderkyss is right: You guys are mouthing off and have absolutely no idea what's about to hit your team in the mouth.

This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.
Completely agreed. The same thing can be said in reverse, although the media seems to love to pay attention (otherwise known as bash because they know that Eagles fans are suckers for punishment) to the Birds, so you may know more about the eagles than the Eagles fans know about the Texans.

furferret2 said:

Hey ferret, do you really KNOW how the Eagles are going to do in 06 and 07? I'm as diehard ansd Eagles fan as anyone, but none of us KNOW what the future will bring. We can make educated guesses, but "that is why they paly the game." If we knew the outcome hardly anyone would watch.

infantrycak said:
I suspect TK was talking about passing TD's which went from 17 in 2003 to 32 in 2004. As you point out the net result was only a 2 TD increase because the running game went from 23 TD's to 10.
Very true. You've pointed out exactly how much all those TO TDs improved the Eagles Offense. Thank you.

thunderkyss said:
If you guys aren't man enough to put a dog in his place, don't call the dog a cancer.

In case you didn't follow the news, we did put him in his place. Hence why he wasn't playing half of last season.

If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003.

You are mistaken. Our scoring offense was nearly identical in 03 to 04. The difference was we ran the ball a lot in 03, while in 04 we relied on a more explosive big ply offense.

you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06.

We shouldn't have been throwing to him nearly as much as we did, particularly since McNabb had a sports hernia.

Your QB cost you the SuperBowl....... that's all he said....... and he was/is right.

:rolleyes:

300 yards passing and 3 TDs. He didn't lose the SB for us, the OL (our OGs and center specifically) did. Anyone with an inkling of football IQ knows that just from watching the game.

No you didn't...... and the fact that you think you did shows your lack of football intel. 1600 yards from 3 guys is nothing to fear. 2000 yards from 3 guys is something to fear.

I could care less how many players it takes to get X number of yards, as long as we score points.

we're taking the slow approach to developing our QB. But when we get him to the SuperBowl, he'll have seen it all.

The slow approach? At this pace he'll be in a wheel chair before he has a 10 win season.

I said you started your decline when you lost T.O. just like SF did.....

[Insult deleted--last warning visiting fans--keep it clean or entire posts will be deleted]

without the most explosive wideReciever(who you guys weren't man enough to control) no, Jeff Garcia is nothing

Who cares - he's our backup QB, and won't be asked to do much anyway. Even if he plays, he'll be playing ball control and letting our monster defense win games.

mattwill said:
Winning the Super Bowl is overrated as the criteria of success. All you have to do is look at all the people who support the 31 teams who don't win it every year. Texans fans are passionate for their team this year, right? Are you likely to win the Super Bowl this year? No. Does that reduce your passion? No.

Passion comes from the heart. Being a fan only of a SB winner comes from the head. Football fans are all about heart.

Except for Cowboys fans.

Frontrunning fools.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Winning the entire NFC is about as difficult as winning the Wild Card in the AFC.
The Texans wouldn't have come close to winning the NFC during the eagles dominant years. Plus, in 2004 the Birds were better than any other team in the AFC besides NE. Stop talking. Also, stop using the young franchise mantra. The Panthers made it to the NFC championship game in their second season, and have a super bowl appearance to their credit in under 10 years.

gpshafer_1976 said:
When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team. the Bills were just like you guys back in the day: Always winning an easy conference and never really being anywhere close to challenging the other conference's wild card team, let alone the conference champion.

An easy NFC that almost beat the Patriots, the AFC dynasty team, 3 times. The Patriots only beat our easy NFC by 3 points for each Super Bowl. The year they didnt make it and Tampa Bay beat us to get into the Super Bowl, the easy NFC blew out your AFC Oakland Raiders who were a sorry excuse for a contender out of the AFC. I wouldn't say the conference is easy when we constantly have a team in there that challenges the best team of the last decade. The win percentage for the AFC against the NFC during the 4 seasons the Eagles made the NFC Championship was just over .500...not too dominating for a conference that is supposed to be far superior since the NFC is so "easy". If anything the AFC is the easier conference...you have a handful of teams that go 12-4 while the rest of the conference is in the basement...the NFC is competitive and has sent someone to the Super Bowl who contends with your dominating teams.

Since 2000 (when the Eagles began getting good):
2006: AFC over the NFC by 11 (Thanks to the refs)
2005: AFC by 3
2004: AFC by 3
2003: NFC by 27
2002: AFC by 3
2001: AFC by 27
2000: NFC by 7

We've sent contenders every year with an exception of the Giants against Baltimore (with one of the greatest defenses of all time). Maybe the NFC isnt as bad as you thought.

gpshafer_1976 said:
I love how Eagles fan always throws in how many Pro Bowlers they have.

Whoop-dee-do. What does that get you, a secret decoder ring and a lollipop from Tagliabue?

When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team. the Bills were just like you guys back in the day: Always winning an easy conference and never really being anywhere close to challenging the other conference's wild card team, let alone the conference champion.

And I like the, "Oh yeah, well we had guys injured in '05..." comment. Even when your guys are HEALTHY you can't win the big one. So what does it matter whether you have Pro Bowlers or not? Wasted talent, if you ask me.

Your coach should stop eating late-night ham sandwiches :fridge: and start preparing more dynamic gameplans.
Dude, listen to yourself. Perhaps you should stop talking trash altogether. You're a fan of the Houston Texans. They have never given any Eagles fan, or other fans for that matter any reason to believe that they will make the playoffs. We, as eagles fans may not have a lot to brag about, but we certainly have a hell of a lot more to brag about than you do. You like to keep pointing out the fact that the Eagles have only won 1 NFCCG in 4 trys. Okay, so what.....? Contact me when the Texans actually are able to make the playoffs or have a record above .500.

FlyEaglesFly said:
Dude, listen to yourself. Perhaps you should stop talking trash altogether. You're a fan of the Houston Texans. They have never given any Eagles fan, or other fans for that matter any reason to believe that they will make the playoffs. We, as eagles fans may not have a lot to brag about, but we certainly have a hell of a lot more to brag about than you do. You like to keep pointing out the fact that the Eagles have only won 1 NFCCG in 4 trys. Okay, so what.....? Contact me when the Texans actually are able to make the playoffs or have a record above .500.
:yahoo:

gpshafer_1976 said:
Because you have zero clue about what Kubiak has done in the offseason. Zero.

And that's exactly why Thunderkyss is right: You guys are mouthing off and have absolutely no idea what's about to hit your team in the mouth.

Surprise is the best ally, and we have a very serious element of surprise. You repeat what you read on ESPN and other Northeast media shows/newspapers. Fact is, we've overhauled the o-line tremendously. Look at the teams in the preseason that we absolutley rolled up on and dominated. They didn't expect to see last year's 2-14 team come out and show some heart. Well, we rammed it down their throat.

And I have a sneaky feeling that you're going to grow a little more uneasy as Sunday comes closer. This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.
Excuse us for forgetting that a coach's new system pays off with flying colors right away.lol: You do realize that it takes time for a "completely overhauled" line to gel, right? Not only that, but I know you guys are starting a rookie who just started playing tackle last year, going up against Howard. I think you're in for a huge surprise if you think this new system and brand new O-line will play great right away. And stop using pre-season, any educated NFL observer realizes pre-season means nada. The Steelers lost every game, they're done!!!

FlyEaglesFly said:

Have the eagles won the SB? Ever? 2nd place is first loser....Go Home and boo Santa will ya.....

Have the Eagles ever won the Super Bowl? No. Do they have NFL Championships? Yes.

Since 2000, the Eagles have made the playoffs in 5 out of 6 years, with 4 division titles, and one NFC Championship. Have the Texans ever made the playoffs? Have they ever had a winning record? The answer is no, so trying to use the Eagles failure to win the Super Bowl is a pretty stupid argument.

The Texans may be improved from last season. But considering they were the worst team in the league, that isn't difficult. You need to go in baby steps, and defeating the Eagles (a team that will be a lot more like the 13-3 version rather than the 6-10 version) is a big step. It's just not going to happen this year.

The Bengals went from 2-14 in 2002 to 8-8 in 2003, that is a considerable leap and I wouldn't classify that as baby steps.

Funny. Its always the same argument over here on these boards.

If a Texans fan sees something he disagrees with, there is a large tendency to fall back on the "Youve never won a super bowl, but we have only been around for 4 years, so we have an excuse" card.

Lame.

Ill be back on Monday. And no, I wont be a sore winner. I will just make sure you all acknowledge that we are a much better team than you though.

The Bengals went from 2-14 in 2002 to 8-8 in 2003, that is a considerable leap and I wouldn't classify that as baby steps.

8-8 isn't a winning record, so its not that big of a step.

TreachX said:
8-8 isn't a winning record, so its not that big of a step.

Fine--San Diego went from 4-12 to 12-4 and the playoffs.

Miami went 4-12 to 9-7
Chicago 5-11 to 11-5
Tampa 5-11 to 11-5
Happy?

PhillyFan said:
Funny. Its always the same argument over here on these boards.

If a Texans fan sees something he disagrees with, there is a large tendency to fall back on the "Youve never won a super bowl, but we have only been around for 4 years, so we have an excuse" card.

Lame.

Ill be back on Monday. And no, I wont be a sore winner. I will just make sure you all acknowledge that we are a much better team than you though.

about the same as the other side sees it.. Philly fans see a 2-14 team and that the Texans were the worse team in the league..

Philly and Houston aren't too far apart, both teams lost some close games by a touchdown or less (I believe it was 4). I seriosly doubt any Eagles fan watched a Texan game last year except for maybe the Seahawks-Texans on national TV. And if any Texan fan watched the Eagles,it was more than likely against the Cryboys

Not saying Texan players last season quit on the coaches, but you can see the way they(Texans) carried themselves. They didn't believe in the system that Capers and crew put in place. Confidence wasn't there in the team and this season you can see a spring in the guys step and a fire in their eyes. they believe in the Kubiak system.

While we still need to upgrade some areas of the team
Expect a much different team than you saw on MNF last year

and Eagles are still 6-10

Yes, they were. And last I checked, 6 is greater than 2. They also had their star QB injured (he was hurt even when playing) throughout the season, and they have most of the core players back from a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before. So they at least have some past success to draw from.

The Texans have nothing similar to draw from.

infantrycak said:
Fine--San Diego went from 4-12 to 12-4 and the playoffs.

Miami went 4-12 to 9-7
Chicago 5-11 to 11-5
Tampa 5-11 to 11-5
Happy?
And none of those teams are named "2006 Houston Texans". Also, all those teams, IMO, had considerably more talent than Houston has.

TreachX said:
Yes, they were. And last I checked, 6 is greater than 2. They also had their star QB injured (he was hurt even when playing) throughout the season, and they have most of the core players back from a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before. So they at least have some past success to draw from.

The Texans have nothing similar to draw from.

:ok: spin it how you want. missing playoffs is missing playoffs,last in division is last in division

I'm not spinning anything. I'm just providing evidence as to why the Eagles are a better team and why they're going to win on Sunday.

I just find it funny that Eagle fans dismiss anything the Texans have done in the offseason to better themselves, we hear 2-14 worse team in the league, yet eagle fans are quick to point out that injuries took the team down (and i dont' discredit that).With all the smack talk, I have great respect for the Eagles defense and McNabb. He has done more with what he had offensively than what Culpepper or Manning has done (manning with Harrison and Edge,Culpepper with Moss and for a while Robert Smith)

I guess what we should have worded our excuses differently

In 2005 we had an injured coaching staff.

I see that Matt is here. One of the better EMB posters but I will admit I don't recognize many of the others. Both Mattwill and I are using the same SN that we use on the EMB. I mention this because I am here to get the Texan fan view of their team and to discuss matchups. I'll leave smack talk for the interdivision games and for teams that I can admit to being familiar with. The Texans - I am not.

With that said. I have perused a lot of this thread and find it humorous that so much of the 2005 Eagles performance is being used by both Eagle fans and by Texans to predict the outcome of this game.

This is the way I look at the game. The Texans are bringing in a new offense and it is the WCO offense, the Texans are also switching from a 3-4 D to the 4-3 (which bucks the NFL trend).

Teams that are new to the WCO don't tend to start seasons with a offensive punch. Heck the team that should have done it last was the Tampa Bay Buccnears in Grudens first year. It helped them that Brad Johnson already was familiar with the offense and yet it was the Buc's defense that kept them in games until about week 10 of their SB season. Yes they did go to the superbowl that year but it was on the back of their defense and frankly those Bucs were already a top caliber team with many facets of the team being very familiar with each other. This year besides the Texans you have Minn bringing in the WCO - although once again Minn has Brad Johnson.

If I look at the Eagles going into the season I see three weak points.

1) The KR and PR teams. The Eagles have not started off well in either area for the past several seasons. This is largely due to the players being put on these teams are only be set in this first week of the season. Now MattWill has done a great job on the EMB of breaking down these units but from what he has done - I can still see this being a weak point that should help the Texans this week and the Giants next week get decent starting field positions.

2) The WRs. Hey we are only returning one WR that was on the 2004 squad and here is hoping that Greg Lewis can return to his 2004 skills where as a 3rd or 4th option he put up respectable numbers as that 3rd or 4th receiver. Reggie Brown is the other and he had a respectable rookie campaign - grant it most of that came later in the season with McMahon throwing to him and not McNabb. So - hey here is a group that I can see some discussion on doubts. That said - I think a look at the Eagles in 2001 and 2002 would prove fruitfull. In those years the focus was on the short pass - to the RBs (with over 70% reception/pass rate) TEs( over 67% reception rate) and the slot (a low 54% reception rate). The WR got few attempts and I can see that happening this week as well.

3) Matt McKoy is a young aggressive WIL Linebacker who will likely run himself out of position and at times has gotten swept up by a tackle that released on a run. I have slammed Dhani Jones at the SAM as much as anyone on the EMB but while he isn't going to all-pro for us this year he is going to be fine with more teams challenging the young McKoy.

OK - so let's discuss some matchups..

The Philly fans sound like us in 2004 when we played the Chargers in our Home opener, and lost. I remember being very shocked when the Chargers came out and handed us our lunch that game. Any given Sunday.

Just remember that things like this happen Philly fan.

Wolf said:
I just find it funny that Eagle fans dismiss anything the Texans have done in the offseason to better themselves, we hear 2-14 worse team in the league, yet eagle fans are quick to point out that injuries took the team down (and i dont' discredit that).With all the smack talk, I have great respect for the Eagles defense and McNabb. He has done more with what he had offensively than what Culpepper or Manning has done (manning with Harrison and Edge,Culpepper with Moss and for a while Robert Smith)

LOL very clever, It's all relative

allez_aigles said:
I see that Matt is here. One of the better EMB posters but I will admit I don't recognize many of the others. Both Mattwill and I are using the same SN that we use on the EMB. I mention this because I am here to get the Texan fan view of their team and to discuss matchups. I'll leave smack talk for the interdivision games and for teams that I can admit to being familiar with. The Texans - I am not.

With that said. I have perused a lot of this thread and find it humorous that so much of the 2005 Eagles performance is being used by both Eagle fans and by Texans to predict the outcome of this game.

This is the way I look at the game. The Texans are bringing in a new offense and it is the WCO offense, the Texans are also switching from a 3-4 D to the 4-3 (which bucks the NFL trend).

Teams that are new to the WCO don't tend to start seasons with a offensive punch. Heck the team that should have done it last was the Tampa Bay Buccnears in Grudens first year. It helped them that Brad Johnson already was familiar with the offense and yet it was the Buc's defense that kept them in games until about week 10 of their SB season. Yes they did go to the superbowl that year but it was on the back of their defense and frankly those Bucs were already a top caliber team with many facets of the team being very familiar with each other. This year besides the Texans you have Minn bringing in the WCO - although once again Minn has Brad Johnson.

1) The KR and PR teams. The Eagles have not started off well in either area for the past several seasons. This is largely due to the players being put on these teams are only be set in this first week of the season. Now MattWill has done a great job on the EMB of breaking down these units but from what he has done - I can still see this being a weak point that should help the Texans this week and the Giants next week get decent starting field positions.

2) The WRs. Hey we are only returning one WR that was on the 2004 squad and here is hoping that Greg Lewis can return to his 2004 skills where as a 3rd or 4th option he put up respectable numbers as that 3rd or 4th receiver. Reggie Brown is the other and he had a respectable rookie campaign - grant it most of that came later in the season with McMahon throwing to him and not McNabb. So - hey here is a group that I can see some discussion on doubts. That said - I think a look at the Eagles in 2001 and 2002 would prove fruitfull. In those years the focus was on the short pass - to the RBs (with over 70% reception/pass rate) TEs( over 67% reception rate) and the slot (a low 54% reception rate). The WR got few attempts and I can see that happening this week as well.

3) Matt McKoy is a young aggressive WIL Linebacker who will likely run himself out of position and at times has gotten swept up by a tackle that released on a run. I have slammed Dhani Jones at the SAM as much as anyone on the EMB but while he isn't going to all-pro for us this year he is going to be fine with more teams challenging the young McKoy.

A very respectable post. I'm so shocked I don't have a rebuttle.

Wolf said:

I wont argue that point at all. Just hearing the name Capers is an excuse to lose 10 games.

Welcome to the board allez_aigles

for me, Our offense is going to be an enigma. I mean I can imagine us running a form of the Denver's offense, yet I can't because we will need time to gel in that aspect of the game. Our offensive line should get a boost just by having Flannigan at Center. McKinney did ok but he really was a guard and in that aspect, it should help Carr (there were times when McKinney just would get pushed back into Carr), LT will be something to watch, Spencer will have his hands full. having a legit TE is something we haven't seen here in Houston (not knocking the previous guys that wore the Texan uniform at that position) and I truely believe that will be something that will help Carr tremendously. It wll be an interesting matchup with AJ/Moulds against Dawkins and crew.

Defensively. our DL is pretty good, Demeco Ryans is a ball hawk so you will see him flying around the field all day. With the DL improved, maybe that will help our secondary look better than what it is. D-rob is pretty good, but that area is our weakness right now.

ST.. P-buc has some ability and it will be interesting to him returning kicks, we will miss Mathis (injured) for a few weeks..
P-buc has some speed back there and can make plays.

chad Stanley is pretty good at placing the ball inside the 20 and getting good hang time on punts to limit the returners ability. Stanley is pretty good at not kicking the ball in the endzone for touchback

allez_aigles said:

Good post.

The DBs are a weakness for the Texans. Unless you guys know something everyone else doesn't, the passing game seems to be a weakness for the Eagles this year.

Our passing game is suspect at this point as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr doesn't light it up.

I think this game will be ugly. Lots of running....not much scoring.

PhillyFan said:
I wont argue that point at all. Just hearing the name Capers is an excuse to lose 10 games.

I like Capers. just the wheels fell off the wagon, we went 7-9 in 2004 and looking to build on that and we forgot to tighten the lug nuts on for 2005

FlyEaglesFly said:
The Texans wouldn't have come close to winning the NFC during the eagles dominant years. Plus, in 2004 the Birds were better than any other team in the AFC besides NE. Stop talking. Also, stop using the young franchise mantra. The Panthers made it to the NFC championship game in their second season, and have a super bowl appearance to their credit in under 10 years.
Thats because they loaded up on big free agents who were towards the end of their career, hence their rapid decline following that season and the firing of Dom Capers.

Battle Red Bull said:
Good post.

The DBs are a weakness for the Texans. Unless you guys know something everyone else doesn't, the passing game seems to be a weakness for the Eagles this year.

Our passing game is suspect at this point as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr doesn't light it up.

true

and we have 4 rookies starting (Williams/Ryans on defense, Lundi,Daniels on offense)

I expect some mistakes

Battle Red Bull said:
Good post.

2 weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. However, today, I disagree.

The Stallworth addition makes a bigger impact than people think. A much bigger impact.

Yes, he has only been an Eagle for a week now. However, he stated at his first practice, that his knowledge of our offense was at about 60%. If he can get to 75% by gametime, that is more than adequate.

Basically, we just need him to stretch the field. If he can do that, that is more than enough. Phillys version of the WCO heavily depends on spreading the ball around. If Donte can show he can get open deep, it most likely draws at least a look from the safety.

If the safety is looking out there, it is going to leave a lot of space for LJ, Westbrook, Brown, and Avant (hopefully, I really want to see him in there)

I think people are heavily underestimating our offense. Which, I am not complaining about at all. I see a lot of Westbrook bashing by teams who have never really seen him. All they see is rushing stats, and immediately discredit him. Again though...that is fine by me.

Westbrook is, in my opinion, one of the top 10 overall threats in the NFL today. Now, thats just my opinion, and I have no fact to back that up with obviously.

I cant wait for Sunday already. :bananasplit:

allez_aigles said:

Nice job on the write up. The field position issue won't be nearly as big of an issue on Sunday as it would have been if we had Mathis healthy. He was our only Pro Bowler last year and he had the speed to turn a kickoff into 6pts. The guys you see fielding the kicks this Sunday won't be the same threat Mathis was and they'll be relatively inexperienced. On punts you'll likely see Phillip Buchannon on returns. He's definately skilled in this area, and he's shown flashes while with the Raiders that he can make big plays back there.

You might see your WRs as a weakness, but you can take solace in the fact that our secondary is probably the weakest part of our team. DRob is far and away the best of the bunch. You'll see Sanders starting opposite of DRob, and despite a pretty good preseason he doesn't look like a starting caliber CB. Faggins started some last year at CB, but he, too, is hurt and won't be on the field Sunday. Buchannon has all the physical tools to be a very good CB in this league, but he simply hasn't shown it yet with the Texans. Last year he got picked on quite a bit. You'll likely see him come in on Nickel or Dime packages. He'll gamble some in coverage. Sometimes he makes the big play others he just gets burnt to a crisp. So far with he hasn't made many big plays for us, but we're hopeful that will change with a better pass rush. Earl is our starting SS, and he's a good solid starter. He is decent against the run, and he delivers a good pop. He's not as good in coverage as we'd like, and if he's left one on one with LJ I suspect LJ will leave him grasping at air. Brown is a 2nd year player who's starting at FS. He delivers a good pop as well, but he isn't suited to be a FS. He'd be better off as a backup at SS, but he's the best option we have there at the moment. The secondary is definately an area of weakness for us that we'll have to adress in the years to come.

Back