Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2008

Jonandme016.jpg

They were doing both. The bigger backs, Green in particular IMO, were having some success running "up the gut" so to speak. Walker seemed to use the blocking the best and know just when to hit the crease whether it was inside or off-tackle. Slaton was best once he het the edge.

I don't think I ever said anything about RBs "bouncing outside". The guys that hit the edge were doing it on plays designed to go that way. I will say that I saw Walker make a couple of nice runs by cutting back against the grain. But its still a matter of the RBs recognizing where the hole or crease is and hitting it hard.

You other guys who were there might have a different viewpoint but that's what I saw.
Like Obsi said, there were quite a few designed plays to go outside.

And that's with Salaam and Duane Brown taking turn at LT.
I saw Green and Slaton on the outside zone stretch.

I also saw Walker and Taylor on the cutback because the hole was there.

I was there for only one day, and it seems like we were running to the weakside quite a bit.

There were also good runs in the middle with all four RBs.
(Not all the time, of course)

The RBs were finding the holes quickly and the O-line did a good job.
That's what I meant when I said the O-line atone themselves during goal-line drill and scrimmage, 'cause in the Line drill, the D had the advantage on that day.

Is it just me, or are we seeing a lot of reports that say the running back "turned the left corner and made a nice run once he got to the edge"?

Curious to know from some of the posters who have been at camp: Are we seeing any significant rushing up the middle (inside) or is it bottled up and forcing guys to go to the edges?

I'm concerned that we're not moving the DL, and it's forcing our RBs to bounce it to the outside a lot. That stuff doesn't work as well in the regular season vs. REAL opponents.

Any eyes out there who can speak on this? Thanks in advance.

I might have been the one that mentioned the speed to the corner. We all figured Slaton might have the speed to get outside, but I know I never thought Bell would be able to get outside.

About the inside runs. For me it is hard to tell from the low seats how successful the play is, for the most part they are only holding up the runner and it is a fast release to let the runner continue. I just see a mass of big bodies in the middle plays.

Watching the 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 drills is how I get an understanding of the linemen.

BTW as was pointed Green has been our best runner running inside followed by Walker.

Does anyone have the inside scoop who was involved in the rumble between the O and Dlines?

Head coach Gary Kubiak

(on what did you tell the guys with getting angry with each other) “This game’s about intensity and I felt that we needed to find another level of intensity. That was something we addressed as a team last night and we found it this morning, but we’re not going to lose our composure

DE N.D. Kalu
(his take on the skirmish during practice today) “I thought it was good. I know that Coach Kubiak doesn’t like it. I think it is good to do it out here because there are no yellow flags or fines. We need to get a little more ornery on defensive, and the defensive linemen started that fight.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4463

Great pic's Gary!! Look forward to meeting your friend Jon at our tailgate!! Wish you could bring along all your OTHER cool friends I saw in those pic's!!!

First year I missed TC, and I feel sad! BUT, best to take care of my health now so I'll be all ready for the start of preseason!! Glad Eddy (our little TS) has decided to make his presence known early in the week, NOT ON SAT!!! That would really have ticked off a bunch of TEXAN fans!!!:shetexan:

The Panthers disagree on Kalu's take about fighting in practice. They suspended Steve Smith, their All Pro WR for the first two games of the regular season for what he did to Ken Lucas.

The Panthers disagree on Kalu's take about fighting in practice. They suspended Steve Smith, their All Pro WR for the first two games of the regular season for what he did to Ken Lucas.

That was a different situation. Smith and Lucas got into it on the sideline with no helmets. From what I gather from the quotes is the altercation occurred while in the heat of battle. If so, then I don't have a problem with it either. I was just curious who it was.

:fans:

I have a feeling that Travis Johnson was the one involved from the defensive side. Haven't he gotten into a scuffle in every TC since being becoming a Texans? It's starting to become a tradition for him...

That was a different situation. Smith and Lucas got into it on the sideline with no helmets. From what I gather from the quotes is the altercation occurred while in the heat of battle. If so, then I don't have a problem with it either. I was just curious who it was.

:fans:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/

John McClain reporting it was Travis Johnson and Anthony Maddox on the defensive side and Eric Winston on the offensive side. Said it wasn't too bad of a skirmish, no helmets came off.

I have a feeling that Travis Johnson was the one from the defensive side. Haven't he gotten into a scuffle in every TC since being becoming a Texans? It's starting to become a tradition for him...

Well, you're right. According to McChinless it was Winston, TJ and Maddox that were involved in the skurmish.

Like I said, I actually like the fact that the intensity is high enough for a little tiff here and there.

*edit: Fox beat me to it. :)

When's the scrimmage against the Saints? Its time to take out the frustrations on another team's personnel.
:D

Winston taking on two d-linemen and no other o-lineman jumped in to help...

tsk...tsk....

Great job Gary. Great pictures. Mario really looks the part of a beast. I would hate to have to block the Dude!

“We’ve been pushing him to get the most out of him, and he did play pretty darn well last year,” Kubiak said. “But if he becomes a great player, a Pro Bowl player, then our football team is going to benefit from that. So that’s our job as coaches: to keep pushing him and see if we can find that. I think he’s capable of it. I think he’s capable of being one hell of a player, but his conditioning level has got to be the best it’s been. And keeping him healthy (is important), and that is why we’re taking a different approach with him, so we’ll see.”"

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/kubiak-wont-let-up-on-johnson-08-06-2008.html

Riddle...

If I posted this quote alone who would you think Kubes was talking about ? (for those of you who haven't read the article yet)

Back