Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans roster moves

Hearing Texans working out Scott Solomon from Rice.

Anybody have any scouting on him?

High motor player. Good production in college, but average athlete. Took 2 medical redshirts in college because of foot injuries. Was a 7th round pick by Tennessee a few years ago.

I don't see the upside here. He's basically Brooks Reed with no athletic ability. Maybe we're looking for another run defender on the edge.

High motor player. Good production in college, but average athlete. Took 2 medical redshirts in college because of foot injuries. Was a 7th round pick by Tennessee a few years ago.

I don't see the upside here. He's basically Brooks Reed with no athletic ability. Maybe we're looking for another run defender on the edge.
Injury prone....he'll fit right in here.

He hasn't been injured while in the NFL. However, his biggest weakness in the NFL has been that he can't resist strong players, let alone double teams.........you can't push off or hold your ground with a bad foot, which has been reported as a still having a nagging problem from his very old injury.

All these comings and goings forced me to visit our roster and see what we have now.

Biggest problem I noticed was that we have too many players from Harvard and Arkansas State. :)

:coffee:

regardless of cap hit?

If I understand what your asking, yeah - regardless of cap hit. Players on IR continue to count against the cap, and of course, you always have to stay cap compliant, but as long as you continue to do that, there's not a limit on number of players - or amount of salary - on IR.

The Browns released Ben Tate. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans pick him up on the cheap. Better back than Grimes.

The Houston Texans worked out three players according to NFL reports and continue their due diligence looking at players throughout the season.

Joe Kruger (6-6, 290 lbs.), Defensive End

Kruger went to Utah and was drafted in the 2013 NFL Draft in the 7th round (212th overall) by the Philadelphia Eagles. He has spent time on the practice squad with the Eagles, San Diego Chargers and Green Bay Packers.
At Utah, he finished with the Utes with 69 total tackles, 9 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an interception. His older brother Paul Kruger starts at outside linebacker for the Cleveland Browns. Kruger has not appeared in an NFL game.

Kona Schwenke (6-3, 302 lbs.) Defensive Tackle

The rookie defensive tackle attend the University of Notre Dame where he appeared in 19 total games for the Fighting Irish. He went undrafted and has spent time with the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots practice squads in 2014.

Ben Bass (6-5, 293 lbs.) Defensive End

The former Texas A&M product went undrafted after the 2012 NFL draft and turned a tryout into a practice squad spot with the Dallas Cowboys. He appeared in two games with the Cowboys but soon found trips to the injured reserve with different injuries in 2012 and 2013. He was signed to the New England Patriots practice squad in 2014 only to be cut.
SOTT: http://hou.scout.com/story/1482979-texans-workout-three-defensive-lineman?s=116

That Kruger name sounds familiar..like we worked him out before or something...
I was thinking the same thing.
someone we worked out like 2-3 summers ago and were thinking about signing...
I think that guy ended up retiring or got re-signed by his former team for one more year....

Or maybe it's because Paul Kruger plays for the Browns.

24 YOA 6'1"233 released from Seattle after an injury settlement. Undrafted signed 3 year deal with Chiefs. One year there then Canadian league. He may have dropped weight to 218.

HOUSTON – The Texans have signed the following player from the practice squad:

Anthony Denham TE 6-4 235 23 R Utah​

The Texans have placed the following player on the Reserve/Injured List:

Max Bullough ILB 6-3 249 22 R Michigan State​

The Texans have signed the following player to the practice squad:

Jace Davis WR 6-1 206 23 R Northern Colorado​

Must be bad news on Garrett Graham...?

Last edited:
500x281

Jace Davis WR

Pro Day Results
Dates: 03/10/14 03/12/14@ColoradoSt
Height: 6005
Weight: 206
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28
3-Cone Drill: 6.88

Has there been any word on who will replace Clowney on the roster? Denham replaced Bullough. There's no true LB on our practice squad so I'm thinking this will be filled by someone from another practice squad.

LB Depth Chart

SLB Reed
ILB Cushing; Mohamed
ILB Tuggle; Tarpinian; Dent
JLB Mercilus

IR Clowney; Bullough

Recently cut Sapp; Diles

Dent has been inactive the last two weeks leaving us with as few as 6 healthy LB for Sunday.

Back