Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans roster moves

I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table. Rodney Dangerfield

So far, this is the oldest I've been. George Carlin

Looking 50 is great if you're 60. Joan Rivers

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left. Jerry M. Wright

People ask me what I'd most appreciate getting for my 87th birthday. I tell them, a paternity suit. George Burns

I figured I'd give yall some more ammo. :clown:

I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table. Rodney Dangerfield

So far, this is the oldest I've been. George Carlin

Looking 50 is great if you're 60. Joan Rivers

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left. Jerry M. Wright

People ask me what I'd most appreciate getting for my 87th birthday. I tell them, a paternity suit. George Burns

I figured I'd give yall some more ammo. :clown:

Dude don't feel bad, not many people got to experience the Titanic sinking, The Japs surrender, Prohibition.....

Ok i'll stop ;), just messing with ya.

Before the Age of Emoticons, blue font used to signify that you were using sarcasm.

Yes but only if it was followed by the Hawk symbol before or over water and preceded by the jackal beneath the laser-rocket-arm of a QB (Pharaoh) like the below example where an early internet message board member makes an amusing comment about the facial expression of Vince Lombardi during a particularly exciting play that involved the novel use of a forward pass.

12408_zpsf22989f5.jpg

Funny stuff indeed! Classic.

Best be carefull. Thorn knows Jesus personally. They went to preschool together. :roast:

Man, that dude was a riot in class. He once turned the teachers hair into wine and got her fired for drinking at school. Then there was the time he brought back to life the sacrificial goats at Church, that REALLY freaked out the priests. I remember when he went ice skating and fell through the ice. It was a long time before he got back into the water.

Man, that dude was a riot in class. He once turned the teachers hair into wine and got her fired for drinking at school. Then there was the time he brought back to life the sacrificial goats at Church, that REALLY freaked out the priests. I remember when he went ice skating and fell through the ice. It was a long time before he got back into the water.
hmmmm... I remember those days.

hey, now that I think back, that dude Noah borrowed my circular saw and my portable drill - something about building a boat - and I never got either of them back.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock
Texans will be signing a new outside linebacker soon. Ricky Sapp will head to IR. Houston has 2 healthy OLBs: Brooks Reed & Whitney Merclius

Texans will be signing a new outside linebacker soon. Ricky Sapp will head to IR. Houston has 2 healthy OLBs: Brooks Reed & Whitney Merclius

Two healthy OLBs, each of whom have produced anything worthwhile only ~1/4 of their total play time this season.:mcnugget:

Texans have been sleeping on that olb position. I didn't even realize we only had three to begin with.

Groves and Sidbury should have been kept over Mercilus. Brooks Reed is ok for what his role is.

PDS Stat @PatDStat
Simon played 7 games for the Ravens in 2013 and a was a 4th round selection in the 2013 NFL Draft. #Texans

John Simon played at Ohio State. #Texans LB coach Mike Vrable knows what he is getting with Simon.

As @JaysonBraddock pointed out yesterday. The #Texans are going to place Ricky Sapp on the IR to sign John Simon off the Ravens practice squad.

As I previously reported, Texans sending Ricky Sapp to IR, signing Jason Ankrah to practice squad

John Simon 6'1", 252 lbs.

John Simon was selected by the Ravens in the fourth round (129th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft.

College Honors

• Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year (2012)
• First-team All-Big Ten by the media and coaches (2012)
• Second-team All-American by the Walter Camp Foundation (2012)
• Ohio State Team MVP (2012)
• Two-time third-team All-American by the Associated Press (2011-12)

College Career

• Totaled 154 tackles (81 solo), 20.5 sacks, 10 PD, 3 FRs and 43 TFL
• Saw action in 50 games, including 37-consecutive starts
• Was just the eighth two-time (2011-12) team captain in Ohio State history
• Finished his career ranked seventh all time at Ohio State in sacks (20.5) and TFL (43)
John-Simon.jpg

Last edited:
The Houston Texans have signed outside linebacker John Simon off of the Ravens' practice squad, according to a league source.

Simon was being paid by the Ravens an upgraded practice squad salary of $170,000, above the usual season rate of $107,100. Simon was drafted in the fourth round last year by the Ravens.

At Ohio State, Simon was the Big Ten Conference Player of the Year as he lined up at defensive end, defensive tackle and linebacker while operating primarily as a pass rusher and run-stopper.

Simon is an avid weightlifter known for haunting the gym for countless hours. He has bench pressed 225 pounds 48 times and has a maximum bench press of over 450 pounds. He has also squatted 700 pounds.

In four college seasons, Simon finished with 154 tackles including 43 for a loss, 20.5 sacks and 10 pass deflections. He was once described by Ohio State coach Urban Meyer as the heart and soul of the Buckeyes.

Meyer even said that Simon was his second-favorite player he coached behind former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...o-their-active-roster-20141007,0,911987.story

I too am excited about this pick up. But I hope that everyone realizes that those legendary benching numbers are from prior to his college 2012 season (less but still quite impressive numbers dating back to high school). He injured his shoulder early September of that season and gutted out the season, until it finally required major surgery in February of 2013. He did not participate in the Combine or his Ohio State Pro Day. He did hold an individual workout in late March of that year..........but he refrained from the bench press since he did not want to take the chance of re-aggravating his shoulder injury.

I too am excited about this pick up. But I hope that everyone realizes that those legendary benching numbers are from prior to his college 2012 season (less but still quite impressive numbers dating back to high school). He injured his shoulder early September of that season and gutted out the season, until it finally required major surgery in February of 2013. He did not participate in the Combine or his Ohio State Pro Day. He did hold an individual workout in late March of that year..........but he refrained from the bench press since he did not want to take the chance of re-aggravating his shoulder injury.

Dammit Doc, we're going to have to ban you from the debby-downer reality check everytime we pick someone up!

:bubbles:

Damn it doc, I was finally able to use that sweet bench press smiley face we got, but you ruined it.....:smiliepalm:

Add me to the list of those liking this pickup, I mean what's to lose ?
He had success as a pass-rusher in college (OK, it was the Big Ten), but we used a first round pick on another Big ten pass-rusher.
Look at Seattles defense - several mid and late rounders there, who knows ?

That's ok , 30 is plenty .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90639&draftyear=2013&genpos=

Sorry guys, but I didn't want to lay it on with the other nagging rib, bursa sac knee, ankle and groin injuries that plagued his 2012 season. Backing off of his weight training routine will probably help him in many ways. He was always considered built too stubby, bulky and muscular to get off the ball fast enough to play DE or OLB in the NFL.

Sorry guys, but I didn't want to lay it on with the other nagging rib, bursa sac knee, ankle and groin injuries that plagued his 2012 season. Backing off of his weight training routine will probably help him in many ways. He was always considered built too stubby, bulky and muscular to get off the ball fast enough to play DE or OLB in the NFL.

charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

Doc ... in your expert opinion , do the guys that seem to get nagging injuries get hurt because they go all out or the guys who go all out seem to be workout demons and get to tight and bulky .

bad-luck-schleprock_yahoo-100273773-orig.jpg

Doc ... in your expert opinion , do the guys that seem to get nagging injuries get hurt because they go all out or the guys who go all out seem to be workout demons and get to tight and bulky .

bad-luck-schleprock_yahoo-100273773-orig.jpg

Many of the injuries are "set up" by repetition of movements (overuse/over training)........just waiting for that situation that completes the injury. I've always felt that weight training is important......but over training and over bulking leaves a player less mobile, less agile, less able to come off the ball quickly and subsequently react quickly to change of direction. Trying to overcome/overcompensate these shortcomings created by over bulking by uber effort then places tremendous stress forces on structures that just weren't meant to handle them........logically leading to injury.

The injury history shouldn't deflate anyone's sails that much. There's always a reason that a high-upside player is up for grabs.

Many of the injuries are "set up" by repetition of movements (overuse/over training)........just waiting for that situation that completes the injury. I've always felt that weight training is important......but over training and over bulking leaves a player less mobile, less agile, less able to come off the ball quickly and subsequently react quickly to change of direction. Trying to overcome/overcompensate these shortcomings created by over bulking by uber effort then places tremendous stress forces on structures that just weren't meant to handle them........logically leading to injury.

Workout warriors can't stay on the field ? Country strong guys who don't perform as well in the weight room but are explosive maybe better options ?

Hmmm......, sounds to me like he could be a solid ILB next to Cushing.

I didn't know we were carrying two FBs before this cut.

I have a feeling, although Opurum was officially signed by the Texans as a RB, he was not actually being looked as as a RB or FB, but rather as a possible developmental OLB. He started out at Kansas as a RB. In 2011, he showed such power that he was very successfully converted to DE. At his Jayhawks Pro Day, he worked out as both FB and OLB.

John Simon was drafted 4th two years ago and is recovering from injury. But he is listed as an outside linebacker. SO does anyone know if he has the speed to play OLB in this system or will he need to be moved inside?

Back