Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

All good points. In hindsight, OB should have stuck with Fitz instead of constantly rotating QBs looking for the franchise guy. Fitz was a smart vet QB. Probably would have been able to run his “system” better than the clown car of younger less bright QBs that came after him.
Yep, a risk with a guy like BOB is that he thinks he can make any QB a great QB and that has to do with ego.

I'm just glad that the team has a true vision of what they want to be. Finally a GM that knows what he's doing and a HC that are on the same page.

Right, at that stage of the rebuild (like now) franchise QB is a luxury. Fitz was perfect to build with. You need consistency from the QB position so you can build consistency around him. Makes no sense to shoot for a franchise QB when you don’t have 1 solid piece on your OL (I’m speaking pre Tunsil, when Fitz was here. BO’b wanted to rebuild the OL from day 1).
Yeah but he wasn't good at it. Drafting Scharping and Martin/Howard Plus giving up the farm for Tunsil. It is what it was.

I think Warhop knows what he's doing and drafting Green plus bringing in Cann to go with Tunsil and Howard is v very good ol'. Put that with Peirce and I think people are going to be surprised by the Texans run game this yr. They're lacking in skill position great players, but that's what the next couple of drafts are for. They will address those issues next off-season. I actually could see them surprising some teams this yr if the ol stays healthy. Fact is this team could win 8-9 games if they stay totally healthy. Realistically what are the chances of them staying healthy. This is why I think they're going to be a 4-5 win team. But the future is bright.

Yeah but he wasn't good at it. Drafting Scharping and Martin/Howard Plus giving up the farm for Tunsil. It is what it was.

I think Warhop knows what he's doing and drafting Green plus bringing in Cann to go with Tunsil and Howard is v very good ol'. Put that with Peirce and I think people are going to be surprised by the Texans run game this yr. They're lacking in skill position great players, but that's what the next couple of drafts are for. They will address those issues next off-season. I actually could see them surprising some teams this yr if the ol stays healthy. Fact is this team could win 8-9 games if they stay totally healthy. Realistically what are the chances of them staying healthy. This is why I think they're going to be a 4-5 win team. But the future is bright.

A team that knows its identity and formula for success is worth some wins even when short on talent. The team is filled with high effort players that know running the ball, controlling time of possession and winning the turnover battle are keys to success. The question is, “Can the OL and Pierce stay healthy long enough to carry out that gameplan?”

That’s the difference between 4 and 8 wins imo.

A team that knows its identity and formula for success is worth some wins even when short on talent. The team is filled with high effort players that know running the ball, controlling time of possession and winning the turnover battle are keys to success. The question is, “Can the OL and Pierce stay healthy long enough to carry out that gameplan?”

That’s the difference between 4 and 8 wins imo.
We're on the same page. Health is the key.

“Absolutely, we want to be a tough football team that loves to run the football and I think that’s what we have been trying to establish throughout the preseason,” Texans coach Lovie Smith said. “That should open up things. And by saying that, that doesn’t mean we don’t want to be a good passing team. Our practices we have nine-on-seven, where the defense knows the offense is running the ball and they need to do something about it.

I think Warhop knows what he's doing and drafting Green plus bringing in Cann to go with Tunsil and Howard is v very good ol'. Put that with Peirce and I think people are going to be surprised by the Texans run game this yr
The only thing I’m worried about the Texans run game is with the play-calling. If they’re going to be one of those “running teams” where they’re going to force the run how they want to run, probably won’t go well for them.

Instead, they need to be versatile, they need to be able to find what works to open the other areas of the run game.

I want to see dives, sweeps, tosses, stretches, & screens. & if they need to pass to open the run, I want to see them pass to open the run.

The only thing I’m worried about the Texans run game is with the play-calling. If they’re going to be one of those “running teams” where they’re going to force the run how they want to run, probably won’t go well for them.

Instead, they need to be versatile, they need to be able to find what works to open the other areas of the run game.

I want to see dives, sweeps, tosses, stretches, & screens. & if they need to pass to open the run, I want to see them pass to open the run.

I was impressed by the variety of running play calls last game. I expect the creativity to ramp up in regular season and when Cooks is in to pass early to set up the run. Get Mills in a rhythm early with quick easy passes to Cooks to get the team in manageable down and distance.

Really wish the team had Metchie like planned. His skillset is ideal to get the QB in a rhythm and offense off to a fast start. This team desperately needs to add a pass catcher other than Cooks who can create and get open quickly.

While I agree with you, I don't think Lovie looks at things the way we do. I really don't blame him, other than Pierce, Cooks, Collins he really doesn't have much to work with, Nobody they respect in the middle of the field. They really miss what I think Metchie would have been to this offense.

Next yr this should be fixed in the off-season.

Getting our defense to understand the art of the takeaway was an important first step.
Takeaways aren't sustainable when you give up the 2nd most yards in the league. Two of the Texans games saw the defense (and special teams) come up with 5 turnovers. One, the rain game in Tennessee and the then 1-7 Jacoby Brisset led Dolphins. In the other 15 games, the Texans defense (and special teams) averaged 1 forced turnover per game. That would be bottom 10 in the league.

Takeaways are less about "art" and more about a formula. Force 3rd and longs + Pressure the QB + No busted coverages = Turnovers. Not giving up long drives is the first step. Pressuring the QB is the 2nd. Sound coverage is the 3rd. When that happens, the Texans will be a consistent defense at turning the ball over to the offense.

Last edited:
Takeaways aren't sustainable when you give up the 2nd most yards in the league. Two of the Texans games saw the defense (and special teams) come up with 5 turnovers. One, the rain game in Tennessee and the then 1-7 Jacoby Brisset led Dolphins. In the other 15 games, the Texans defense (and special teams) averaged 1 forced turnover per game. That would be bottom 10 in the league.

Takeaways are less about "art" and more about a formula. Force 3rd and longs + Pressure the QB + No busted coverages = Turnovers. Not giving up long drives is the first step. Pressuring the QB is the 2nd. Sound coverage is the 3rd. When that happens, the Texans will be a consistent defense at turning the ball over to the offense.
Remember we didn’t have the talent. Now let’s see how that defense performs with the talent we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the cut lists so far, guys I wouldn't mind Casario putting a claim in:

Tyler Johnson - WR
Dalton Keene - TE
Deonte Brown - OG
Abram Smith - RB

Edit: Wyatt Davis - OG - Former Buckeye not a fit for new McConnell offense. Would fit here in Warhop's scheme.

Last edited:
From the cut lists so far, guys I wouldn't mind Casario putting a claim in:

Tyler Johnson - WR
Dalton Keene - TE
Deonte Brown - OG
Abram Smith - RB
What are your thoughts on
Malcom Brown- DT
Malcom Butler- CB

Last edited:
I'd prefer to continue to develop Lopez and Hinish. If this were a playoff contender, it might be a different story.
I'd rather have Brown over Blacklock (he hasn't been cut yet) and I think Booker and Dwumfour could be stashed on the PS

I'd rather have Brown over Blacklock (he hasn't been cut yet) and I think Booker and Dwumfour could be stashed on the PS
Booker needs to see action to develop and determine his value. Not sure what is happening with Dwumfor. Blacklock's time is gone here. I would say that Blacklock did get 2 sacks and 13 pressures last year in limited snaps. Caserio should find a team that will flip a late round pick for him. I just don't know what would be accomplished by playing Brown. He won't be around when this team is ready to compete.

I wonder if there is a defensive rating based on the 1st half of games. The defense couldn't stay off the field because the offense couldn't stay on the field.
That's part of it. But the offense couldn't get in a rhythm when the defense was allowing long scoring drives. Chicken or the egg? Uncomplimentary football? idonno:

OK, everyone can neg rep me for that one.

Here are some of the 2022 Practice squad rules.

Teams are allowed 16 players on the practice squad.

Of the 16 players, at least 10 must be of the typical "practice squad eligible" category, with up to four of which could be in their third season on an NFL practice squad. Teams can have up to six veteran players with unlimited accrued seasons on their practice squad.

Practice squad players can be elevated three times during the regular season before having to be promoted to the 53-man roster. When it comes to the postseason, there is no limit on a player's eligibility for elevation from the practice squad.

A practice squad player has the right to sign with another team's 53-man roster.

There are a couple of exceptions to this:

Each team can protect up to four of its practice squad players from other teams.

A practice squad player may not sign a contract with his team's next opponent after 4 p.m. ET six days preceding the game (10 days preceding in bye weeks).

A player cannot sign with another practice squad while on his current practice squad.

Back