Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

I hope someone sent that to Quick Nick's inbox

giphy.gif

I am really excited to see some old posters posting, and some new ones too.

Let’s be nice to the new ones and not ridicule them too much for their takes or threads they create. This is a happy and friendly place.

Unless people show up to support Watson. **** those people and **** Watson too.

I am really excited to see some old posters posting, and some new ones too.

Let’s be nice to the new ones and not ridicule them too much for their takes or threads they create. This is a happy and friendly place.

Unless people show up to support Watson. **** those people and **** Watson too.
Who's Watson ?

Did anyone catch one of the changes in the offense?

According to Mills, last year’s offense ran by offensive coordinator Tim Kelly was based on the New England Patriots’ offense.

“Completely quarterback-driven pre-snap and the big focus from Pep when he stepped in this role was he wants to take as much off the quarterback as he can so we can play fast,” Mills said. “Obviously we have a lot of control in making sure we’re in the correct protection and the correct mike point, basically confirming or changing anything, but the center does the initial point and making the initial calls. So, that takes a lot off my plate, especially in the run game. We can go out there and play fast when the center is pointing it.”

Davis Mills describes how Pep Hamilton changed Texans’ offense (usatoday.com)

According to Mills, last year’s offense ran by offensive coordinator Tim Kelly was based on the New England Patriots’ offense.

“Completely quarterback-driven pre-snap and the big focus from Pep when he stepped in this role was he wants to take as much off the quarterback as he can so we can play fast,” Mills said. “Obviously we have a lot of control in making sure we’re in the correct protection and the correct mike point, basically confirming or changing anything, but the center does the initial point and making the initial calls. So, that takes a lot off my plate, especially in the run game. We can go out there and play fast when the center is pointing it.”

Kelly heard it from a guy who tried to remember 2 years after he heard it from guy on how to run the offense.

Nico Collins represents bright spot for inconsistent Texans offense
August 20, 2022 at 7:12 PM

INGLEWOOD, California – There weren’t a lot of successful moments for the Texans’ offense against the Los Angeles Rams during a game where the first-team offense got off to a sloppy start defined by misfired passes, fumbles, and pass protection breakdowns.

One of the few bright spots was provided by imposing second-year wide receiver Nico Collins.

Towering over defensive backs at 6-foot-4, 215-pounds, the former third-round draft pick from Michigan made a huge play at the end of the first half.

Collins elevated for a contested catch in the end zone to haul in an 18-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Davis Mills to close out the first half. Collins bodied a defensive back away from the path of the football.

“We took a shot in the red zone, and Davis trusted in me as a quarterback,” Collins said. “No doubt, I’m going to get it. I’m thinking, ‘I’ve got to go get it. I’m a tall guy. I’m going to make the play.”

Collins, who’s run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds, caught four passes for 48 yards on six targets.

“Nico’s a big target, with a lot of talent,” Lovie Smith said. “We want to get him in those types of situations. If we run the ball well, we’ll get more one-on-one situations for Nico.”

Collins is one of the larger wide receivers in the NFL. And his chemistry with Mills keeps building.

“The biggest growth I’ve seen from him has been off the field and how much he’s matured,” Mills said. “Going to work each day, trying to be the best player he can be, I think he’s made a big jump.”

Sputtering and sloppy to start the game, the Texans’ first-team offense closely resembled the uneven outfit that struggled throughout last season.
Until a crisp final drive engineered by Mills capped by a touchdown pass to Nico Collins to end the first half, the offense was inconsistent and unproductive.

During the first seven drives of the game, the Texans produced just four first downs and had three tackles for losses with two sacks and a fumble. Left offensive guard Max Scharping struggled in pass protection, yielding the sack that led to a Mills fumble that Scharping recovered and a lost fumble by usually reliable running back Rex Burkhead.

“We did start off kind of slow,” Collins said. “I don’t know why, but we were out there trying to get a spark going.”

Mills, a former third-round draft pick from Stanford expected to make a leap in his second NFL season, passed for 50 of his 96 yards on two late completions to end the half and completed 10 of 17 passes overall.

The Texans, though, had only 31 net yards of offense until there were 14 seconds left in the first half.

“It was awesome,” Mills said. “Obviously made some big-time plays. Didn’t have much going on before that, so it was nice to end the half with a score. We’re confident when we’re spreading the ball around like that and the line is protecting, we can go up against anyone.”

Mills had a 94.2 passer rating. Most of the effectiveness he showed was in the final minute of the first half as he went 4 for 7 for 60 yards.

“Early on, we didn’t have a lot of success,” Texans coach Lovie Smith said. “We decided to let the offense keep playing. You always want to finish on a high note.”

The Texans were playing without top wide receiver Brandin Cooks and Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

“We wanted to see Davis finish there offensively,” Texans coach Lovie Smith said. “That was a great throw by Davis to give Nico an opportunity to catch the ball. We’re not first-game-of-the-season-ready yet, but we see good things each week.”

The Texans put the game away on a touchdown catch by tight end Mason Schreck. It marked the second week in a row that third quarterback Jeff Driskel threw a game-winning touchdown pass.

“Two weeks in a row where offensively we needed to score, and defensively we need to stop them at the end,” Smith said. “I talk a lot about situational football and how we love as many of these opportunities as possible.”

Mills recently said the Texans are “ready to go out and shock the world.”

The comment drew attention, and raised a few eyebrows about the prospects of a 4-13 team from last year.”I don’t think I need to elaborate on it,” Mills said. “I don’t think the media nationally is giving the Houston Texans a lot of attention. I think we know better than anyone else in the building. Our guys have full confidence in what we’re capable of, and we’re excited to get rolling with this season.”

All right, excellent! That's really cool and awesome! Wow! When is it supposed to start?

Kelly heard it from a guy who tried to remember 2 years after he heard it from guy on how to run the offense.
I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that you been running around..

Hopefully this will in the future refer to Damien Pearce.

The thing that stands out on the INTs. Schaub never had the strongest arm and he was not stepping into his throws or using his lower body. Guys like Favre, Mahomes and Rodgers can get away with using arm talent to get the ball out. Schaub was not as fortunate. While at NRG, he had to reach back from Pasadena to get enough strength on the ball and that half second was enough for the DBs to get a jump on the ball. Poor guy.

I'm going to lovingly beat this dead horse once again.

1. The Texans road uniforms are hands down, the best looking uniform in the NFL. This uniform makes the Steel Blue helmet work.
2. The Texans need to dump the home white pants and use the Steel Blue pants instead. This uniform would give them the best looking home uniform as well.

3. A different "Color Rush" uniform might be as simple as a "Liberty White" uniform that features a white helmet as well.

I'm going to lovingly beat this dead horse once again.

1. The Texans road uniforms are hands down, the best looking uniform in the NFL. This uniform makes the Steel Blue helmet work.
2. The Texans need to dump the home white pants and use the Steel Blue pants instead. This uniform would give them the best looking home uniform as well.

3. A different "Color Rush" uniform might be as simple as a "Liberty White" uniform that features a white helmet as well.
I like the color rush uni's.....but we need to make some sort of battle red uni a staple vs an "alternate" uni...our uni should be throw back columbia blue's

I like the color rush uni's.....but we need to make some sort of battle red uni a staple vs an "alternate" uni...our uni should be throw back columbia blue's

The "Liberty White" Color Rush uniform would be easy....actually very easy....to convert into an amazing "Throwback" uniform by simply replacing the "Steel Blue" with "Columbia Blue".

Hearing the talk on 610 this morning that Blacklock is likely a goner made me look at who they “could have taken” in that draft. Very frustrating to see Johnathan Taylor taken at the very next pick! But hindsight is 20/20… Texans had just moved on from D Hop for that pick AND David Johnson!

Hearing the talk on 610 this morning that Blacklock is likely a goner made me look at who they “could have taken” in that draft. Very frustrating to see Johnathan Taylor taken at the very next pick! But hindsight is 20/20… Texans had just moved on from D Hop for that pick AND David Johnson!
Blacklock was drafted by O'Brien right?

They've been trying to replace him since day one. Scharping seems to be on a short leash.

They seem to like Howard, so far

I was screaming Jonathan Taylor at the TV when Blacklock was chosen. I said who? Even safety Grant delpit or wide receiver Chase Claypool would have been better in my opinion. Anyway that's all cold soup.

I think Deculus and Charlie heck will allow Texans to let sharping go.

I think Deculus has a very good chance of being re-classified as a "steal" over the next 2 seasons. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some time at RG Friday night with Howard at RT. Could be the future of the right side.

Said he learned more about the game under BOB/Godsey than he did anywhere else in his career.
I've heard Cecil Shorts talk about how BOB/Godsey prepared them for every possible scenario to the point that younger players got overwhelmed. I have no doubt that BOB was a smart guy. His problem was when he joined the Patriots, Brady was already a 9 year veteran QB. Their system was already in place and he had Belichick, Brady and a veteran team. When you think about it. It's not surprising that he struggled with young players and his game plan offense.

IMHO. Smart guy, but without Brady or Belichick, his pre-game preparation was above average, and his in-game adjustments were below average. I read an article that many former Patriots assistants fail because they overestimate their contributions to the Patriots success. They get NFL jobs and their egos prevents them from evolving or realizing that they don't know, what they don't know.

I've heard Cecil Shorts talk about how BOB/Godsey prepared them for every possible scenario to the point that younger players got overwhelmed. I have no doubt that BOB was a smart guy. His problem was when he joined the Patriots, Brady was already a 9 year veteran QB. Their system was already in place and he had Belichick, Brady and a veteran team. When you think about it. It's not surprising that he struggled with young players and his game plan offense.

IMHO. Smart guy, but without Brady or Belichick, his pre-game preparation was above average, and his in-game adjustments were below average. I read an article that many former Patriots assistants fail because they overestimate their contributions to the Patriots success. They get NFL jobs and their egos prevents them from evolving or realizing that they don't know, what they don't know.

All good points. In hindsight, OB should have stuck with Fitz instead of constantly rotating QBs looking for the franchise guy. Fitz was a smart vet QB. Probably would have been able to run his “system” better than the clown car of younger less bright QBs that came after him.

All good points. In hindsight, OB should have stuck with Fitz instead of constantly rotating QBs looking for the franchise guy. Fitz was a smart vet QB. Probably would have been able to run his “system” better than the clown car of younger less bright QBs that came after him.
Right, at that stage of the rebuild (like now) franchise QB is a luxury. Fitz was perfect to build with. You need consistency from the QB position so you can build consistency around him. Makes no sense to shoot for a franchise QB when you don’t have 1 solid piece on your OL (I’m speaking pre Tunsil, when Fitz was here. BO’b wanted to rebuild the OL from day 1).

Right, at that stage of the rebuild (like now) franchise QB is a luxury. Fitz was perfect to build with. You need consistency from the QB position so you can build consistency around him. Makes no sense to shoot for a franchise QB when you don’t have 1 solid piece on your OL (I’m speaking pre Tunsil, when Fitz was here. BO’b wanted to rebuild the OL from day 1).

Yep. And like the QB position, he continued to make the OL group worse the more he tinkered with it!

If only you could get Fitz to throw the damn ball!

Back