Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Now that Tank and Schultz are out, Texans have to give their next men up more snaps and at WR, they should have Xavier Hutchinson suited up on the sideline - he has shown he can contribute and he will be very keen to show his value to the team. What do you have to lose? If he looks wobbly, you can always pull him.
But, he could be another success story and he has a small but significant body of work to warrant more snaps - what else are you gonna do?

Now that Tank and Schultz are out, Texans have to give their next men up more snaps and at WR, they should have Xavier Hutchinson suited up on the sideline - he has shown he can contribute and he will be very keen to show his value to the team. What do you have to lose? If he looks wobbly, you can always pull him.
But, he could be another success story and he has a small but significant body of work to warrant more snaps - what else are you gonna do?
Last week is the only time this year that X has been inactive

Last week is the only time this year that X has been inactive
True but not a whole lot of snaps.
He had a nice play against the Jags and he deserves another shot now - especially since we could do with a little help in our receiver corp. We drafted him, so why not?

True but not a whole lot of snaps.
He had a nice play against the Jags and he deserves another shot now - especially since we could do with a little help in our receiver corp. We drafted him, so why not?
Maybe he hasn't taken his craft as seriously as he should. Maybe he doesn't know the playbook as well as someone deserving more snaps & targets should.

These coaches are doing so many things right I find it hard to believe they're approaching Hutchinson's snaps differently.

Am I rooting for the Browns or the Jags? That’s the biggest question of the week…

Yup, me as well. I can make a case for either side of the coin. I'm torn. Do we have a real shot at the division? If so, give me the Brownies. But the safer bet is to secure a WC spot. And the Browns are another team in our way. You say potato, and I say potato. That one never works well in writing!

No matter the outcome, I can find something to like, so I'll roll with it and be happy.

Discussed at various times in this thread...Houston football is actually "cheap" in relative terms

The cheapest team to support was the Houston Texans, it cost an average of $379.14 for fans to buy a ticket, beer and a hot dog.

Browns, of course. Browns lose and Texans win, we are tied for division lead.

No we're not tied if that happens. The Jags own the tie-breaker. They will still be in the division lead. The Texans must finish a game better than the Jags. Not impossible, but not all that likely. Thus, why I'm torn.

I'm also torn with the Cinci vs. Colts game. On the surface, it seems easy. Hope Cinci takes it. But it's more nuanced than that when you dig deeper. But again, I can take solace in either outcome.

I'm also torn with the Cinci vs. Colts game. On the surface, it seems easy. Hope Cinci takes it. But it's more nuanced than that when you dig deeper. But again, I can take solace in either outcome.
There is no doubt in my mind. I want the Colts to lose. The Colts own us like we own the Jaguars. Our all time record against the Colts is 10-33-1. I hate em. I need a t-shirt that says 'F*ck the Colts'.

No we're not tied if that happens. The Jags own the tie-breaker. They will still be in the division lead. The Texans must finish a game better than the Jags. Not impossible, but not all that likely. Thus, why I'm torn.

We have 5 games remaining. Tie breakers at this stage are irrelevant. Our won-loss records would be tied. The Colts are in the game and we'll have to see how they fair against the Bengals this week. When the Jags lose to the Ravens and we beat the Titans, we'll either have sole possession of first or be tied with the Colts, who play the Steelers in two weeks.

What should be paramount to the discussion is whether the Jags are lying to the betting public over the severity of Lawrence's "injury".

I believe everyone is still claiming a high ankle sprain. Read CnnnD's response. A quick return is not consistent with an evaluation of a high ankle sprain. Only a low ankle sprain would allow his quick return.

I read that the MRI revealed a high ankle injury. If this is the truth, then Lawrence should not be playing the next two weeks, which is why I'm predicting the Jags lose against the Browns and the Ravens.

We have 5 games remaining. Tie breakers at this stage are irrelevant. Our won-loss records would be tied. The Colts are in the game and we'll have to see how they fair against the Bengals this week. When the Jags lose to the Ravens and we beat the Titans, we'll either have sole possession of first or be tied with the Colts, who play the Steelers in two weeks.
Really??
It's all irrelevant until the last game is played or spots get clinched beforehand.
Until then it is what it is and we talk about it. If the Texans and Jags are tied after this weekend, the playoff picture will have Jags on top, Texans as a WC. Simple as that. Next week will be a whole new picture.

Really??
It's all irrelevant until the last game is played or spots get clinched beforehand.
Until then it is what it is and we talk about it. If the Texans and Jags are tied after this weekend, the playoff picture will have Jags on top, Texans as a WC. Simple as that. Next week will be a whole new picture.
Sometimes I may forget what precisely I may write, but I checked and I didn't write one word about "playoff picture" . Maybe it's just semantics, but why talk about "tie-breakers" unless teams are "tied"?

Sometimes I may forget what precisely I may write, but I checked and I didn't write one word about "playoff picture" . Maybe it's just semantics, but why talk about "tie-breakers" unless teams are "tied"?
For the people who want to know why the Texans are still slotted as a WC in that picture if the Texans/Jags end up tied after the weekend. This is a discussion board after all.

There is no doubt in my mind. I want the Colts to lose. The Colts own us like we own the Jaguars. Our all time record against the Colts is 10-33-1. I hate em. I need a t-shirt that says 'F*ck the Colts'.

I get it. I’ve watched all but one of those games (a Texan win while I was on a plane to Utah). But here’s the thing: Peyton Manning’s not walking through the Colts lockeroom door. Andrew Luck is not walking through that door.

But CJ Stroud is walking thru the Texans door. So II no longer fear the valley of the Colts

I get it. I’ve watched all but one of those games (a Texan win while I was on a plane to Utah). But here’s the thing: Peyton Manning’s not walking through the Colts lockeroom door. Andrew Luck is not walking through that door.

But CJ Stroud is walking thru the Texans door. So II no longer fear the valley of the Colts
I really want to feel the same way. Look at the game this season. Stroud had a good day with 30 completions for 384 yards & 2 Tds. Collins had 7 receptions for 146 yards & 1 TD yet we still lost. Of course I believe our defense is much better now than it was then & IMO we are a better team than the Colts.

At the same time it just seems we are snake bit when it comes to the Colts. So the farther the gap between the Texans & Colts gets the happier I am.

Maybe he hasn't taken his craft as seriously as he should. Maybe he doesn't know the playbook as well as someone deserving more snaps & targets should.

These coaches are doing so many things right I find it hard to believe they're approaching Hutchinson's snaps differently.
P-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l.

Discussed at various times in this thread...Houston football is actually "cheap" in relative terms

The cheapest team to support was the Houston Texans, it cost an average of $379.14 for fans to buy a ticket, beer and a hot dog.

Does that include parking?

Now that it is becoming more clear that Lawrence did not suffer a high ankle sprain as the Jags tried to foist off on the betting public, but rather a mild low ankle sprain, and may actually try to play this Sunday (will be a game day decision) I'll have to revise my thinking that the Jags will lose the next two games.

It's not the QB that has beaten the Texans, but rather the WR (I get it, the QB throws the ball). Harrison, Hilton, and Pittman have been the dagger that's killed the Texans. They always seem to have a WR that has career days against the Texans. BTW, I've watched every single one of those games.

Per PFF, Nico Collin has a 155.8 Passer Rating when targeted in Man Coverage.............1st in the NFL this season.

PFF's ranking system is odd. I subscribed to PFF for a couple of years, but I realized that what I see, with my own eyes, is often at odds with what they post. They are frequently just plain wrong.
I think in this case they are speaking of the standard NFL passer rating formula. PFF's grading scale is 0-100.

For those that wish to calculate passer rating on their own, here is the formula. Good luck.

For those who would prefer a little help, here is a passer rating calculator.

I think in this case they are speaking of the standard NFL passer rating formula. PFF's grading scale is 0-100.

For those that wish to calculate passer rating on their own, here is the formula. Good luck.

For those who would prefer a little help, here is a passer rating calculator.

Although passer rating is a stat and is NOT a PFF "grade", in this case, it's PFF making the determination of what the coverages were in order to figure out which passes to include in the calculation.

So this is one of the edge cases and it comes down to whether you trust PFF to read the coverages correctly.

Reactions: JB
Now that it is becoming more clear that Lawrence did not suffer a high ankle sprain as the Jags tried to foist off on the betting public, but rather a mild low ankle sprain, and may actually try to play this Sunday (will be a game day decision) I'll have to revise my thinking that the Jags will lose the next two games.
If it was some kind of fakeout, that won't sit right with a lot of people.
If he did hurt it and is going to try to play on it, two things can happen: 1. He can exacerbate it and 2. He will only be 80% or so of his usual self.

Does anyone know what’s going on with Nick Broeker? Has he seen any playing time this year?
Hasn't had any playing time. As far as I can tell, no one in the media who has access to the Texans has had the curiosity to ask about this member of the team. He's listed as the backup to Shaq Mason. Strange that with the frequent releases from the 53 to make a slot available, he's still on the roster. The Bills were going to place him on their PS, but the Texans claimed him off of waivers. The Texans must have some reason for them not to risk the same and to just stash him on the 53.

So this is one of the edge cases and it comes down to whether you trust PFF to read the coverages correctly.
I think they can figure that out. If not, they can contact @Khelar to help them.

There is a thread from this past offseason that suggested the Texans already had their #1 WR. And that guy was Nico Collins. The opposing point of view was "Nico hasn't shown he's that guy the past two seasons." Well after 2/3 of the 2023, Nico is showing that he is a #1 WR.

Forget coverages. Texans passers have a 127.1 rating when Collins is targeted, period. The passer rating targeting Tyreek Hill in 2023 is 133.3. Collins is playing almost to the level of Tyreek Hill. That's hard to wrap your head around. In Collins 70 catches over his first two seasons, he broke 3 tackles, In his 59 catches in 2023, Collins has 12. A dozen broken tackles. Who is this guy and what happened to the previous Nico Collins? Selling insurance in Ann Arbor?

Is the difference playing with CJ Stroud? Wasn't the major criticism of Stroud coming into the draft that he played with such dominant WRs? No one was saying Stroud would have that in Houston. But besides Collins, Noah Brown is playing the best ball of his career. A rookie 3rd round WR was playing at an outstanding level. Isn't that what Most Valuable Players are supposed to do? Raise the level of play of those around him? As CJ Stroud has done?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what’s going on with Nick Broeker? Has he seen any playing time this year?

Rookie 7th round pick who did not spend training camp/preseason with the team. Depth chart has him listed as RG2. My guess is that they made the intelligent decision to stick the rookie who didn’t participate in preseason/training camp with the team at one position so they don’t overwhelm him and he can sufficiently learn with his limited practice week reps in season.

It just so happens that is the one position on the OL that the starter (Shaq Mason) has not missed a game yet!

Back