Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I don't pretend to know anything about the cap, but according to overthecap.com, trading Cooks after June 1 results in $8.1mil dead money and $18.3mil savings.
I'm not sure how that impacts 2024 and beyond, if at all
Last year, Cooks signed a 3 year contract for almost $40 million, $36 million guaranteed. There was also another $8 million in bonus allocation on the books from the restructure the previous year. The Texans still owe Cooks his $18 million guaranteed salary this year, with over $16 million in bonus allocation, spread over 2023 and 2024.

If the Texans trade Cooks at any time before the season starts, the team that trades for Cooks pays his $18 million salary. Unless...the trade agreement has the Texans paying a portion of that salary. Regardless, the Texans still have the $16 million bonus allocation (money paid to Cooks in 2021 & 2022) on the books. If the trade occurs after June 1st, the Texans are allowed to spread that cap hit over 2023 & 2024. So the dead money (Money against the cap for a player no longer on the team) would be over $8 million for each season. If the Texans were to agree to pay a portion of Cooks 2023 salary, that would be on the 2023 salary cap total.

Last edited:
I don't pretend to know anything about the cap, but according to overthecap.com, trading Cooks after June 1 results in $8.1mil dead money and $18.3mil savings.
I'm not sure how that impacts 2024 and beyond, if at all
1. Cooks' 2023 $18MM salary is GTD. That pretty much makes him untradeable. The Texans could agree to pay half of that to get him out the door but being 30 yrs old they won't get much for him.

2. If you cut/trade him in 2023 that's another $16MM in dead money added to the cap.

3. If they make it a post-June 1 trade/cut they can move 1/2 the money to 2024 but that is exactly the kind of piss-poor money management that has got them in the mess they are in right now. It is this kind of money management that makes for average and ordinary teams.

Caserio has made Cooks untradeable. Cooks dead cap is more than the salary cap hit, ($34,220,742) vs $26,463,302. It will cost the Texans an additional $8MM to cut or trade Cooks than to keep him (a Caserio specialty). Remember two years ago when I told you the Texans needed to trade Cooks and you said no because he needed to be here for Mills? That was right after you you went over the moon because Caserio drafted Mills. You said it was brilliant. You use to be on top of stuff like this but that was before you lost your way. Now you have a 30 yr old WR that has become just another major FUBAR.

Went over the moon and called it brilliant? LMAO

But you were right, How was Caserio/Me to know Cooks would get paid and quit. Tell me the next guy that gets paid that's going to quit? Tunsil? Howard? Who?

The bottom line is Cooks' contract is another very expensive fustercluck and a continued pattern of management misbehavior over the last 2 years.
It was a stupid, stupid, stupid contract. Stupid for the money given to an aging speed WR. Stupid in that Cooks already was under contract thru 2023. Stupid in that Cooks could have been dealt then. For a decent return.

I said this at the time of the deal.

Brandin Cooks' two-year contract extension has $36 million guaranteed with $19.8 million maximum average annually.

That’s outrageous for an age 30 & 31 WR. What would Bill Belichick do (WWBBD)?

Not this.

It was a stupid, stupid, stupid contract. Stupid for the money given to an aging speed WR. Stupid in that Cooks already was under contract thru 2023. Stupid in that Cooks could have been dealt then. For a decent return.

I said this at the time of the deal.
Except Cooks is still a very good WR. I'm thinking Cooks market may be better than you think in an extremely weak WR FA market.

Problem is that he's the POS that gets paid and quits. If he hadn't quit and Caserio drafted Johnston/Hyatt then that position group would be a strength not a weakness.

This may take a year. DeMeco really won't know what he has until his team goes through a pre-season and season.

Caserio and DeMeco will bring 90 players to camp. They'll have their chance to evaluate players during this period of time. When the season kicks off.....Caserio and DeMeco will know who the players are that earned their active roster spot.

Caserio has made Cooks untradeable. Cooks dead cap is more than the salary cap hit, ($34,220,742) vs $26,463,302. It will cost the Texans an additional $8MM to cut or trade Cooks than to keep him (a Caserio specialty). Remember two years ago when I told you the Texans needed to trade Cooks and you said no because he needed to be here for Mills? That was right after you you went over the moon because Caserio drafted Mills. You said it was brilliant. You use to be on top of stuff like this but that was before you lost your way. Now you have a 30 yr old WR that has become just another major FUBAR.

Just curious....is Caserio the "only" NFL GM to make this type of gaffe (your opinion)?

Caserio and DeMeco will bring 90 players to camp. They'll have their chance to evaluate players during this period of time. When the season kicks off.....Caserio and DeMeco will know who the players are that earned their active roster spot.
This goes without saying. But after a season of evaluation, DeMeco will have a firm grasp on what positions need to be upgraded. Going into free agency and the draft, the coaching staff will have nothing to go on except film study of the players in last year's systems.

This goes without saying. But after a season of evaluation, DeMeco will have a firm grasp on what positions need to be upgraded. Going into free agency and the draft, the coaching staff will have nothing to go on except film study of the players in last year's systems.

I wonder if the fans are going to give Ryans the Culley/Mills treatment?

Just curious....is Caserio the "only" NFL GM to make this type of gaffe (your opinion)?
Of course not. And this alone is not a fireable offense. Neither is restructuring Tunsil's contract. Twice. And leaving a cap hit the size of a franchise QB. But it does indicate that Caserio is nor deserving of the credit he has been given for cleaning up the Texans cap mess. Yes, Easterby & O'Brien left a mess bigger than a 100 yard chicken house. But Nick has made his own mess. The salary cap looks fine, now. But that's because the team is so bereft of talent, there's few players worth giving $$$ to. Other than a couple handfuls of young guys on rookie deals.

I still believe Caserio is on thin ice here. And should be.

Of course not. And this alone is not a fireable offense. Neither is restructuring Tunsil's contract. Twice. And leaving a cap hit the size of a franchise QB. But it does indicate that Caserio is nor deserving of the credit he has been given for cleaning up the Texans cap mess. Yes, Easterby & O'Brien left a mess bigger than a 100 yard chicken house. But Nick has made his own mess. The salary cap looks fine, now. But that's because the team is so bereft of talent, there's few players worth giving $$$ to. Other than a couple handfuls of young guys on rookie deals.

I still believe Caserio is on thin ice here. And should be.

I like the fact that Caserio chose to keep Tunsil and would've done the same thing with both Tunsil and Cooks. Who knew Cooks was going to turn into a POS after he got paid.

What would you have done differently knowing what you did at that time? BTW, they can easily get to 50-60 mil of cap space, how much cap space do you want them to have?

He'll have a grace period, but no more than three years. But what results will be expected before calls for change? What if we can't best Jacksonville?
My question is why will Ryans be treated differently?

He will have more talent to work with than his predecessors did.

I know that if they draft a QB at 1-2 I'm going to judge them on the same scale that Mills was judged by some around here, especially since the new QB should have a lot more weapons than Mills ever had.

Except Cooks is still a very good WR. I'm thinking Cooks market may be better than you think in an extremely weak WR FA market.

Problem is that he's the POS that gets paid and quits. If he hadn't quit and Caserio drafted Johnston/Hyatt then that position group would be a strength not a weakness.
You should probably stop digging, your hole is only getting deeper.

Went over the moon and called it brilliant? LMAO

But you were right, How was Caserio/Me to know Cooks would get paid and quit. Tell me the next guy that gets paid that's going to quit? Tunsil? Howard? Who?
Yes, you loved the Mills pick. You became ecstatic by it when it was announced.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tunsil put his gas mask on 30 minutes after signing his mega-new contract. That aside the reason I say trade him (1st RD) because the Texans are still several years from being competitive. Why waste $125MM/$60MM GTD, when you can get a solid LT for $20MM for 5 years, you can use the extra $100MM to build the roster. $100MM would go a long way. Pretty much the same logical reasoning for why I wanted to trade Cooks in 2021. Adding a high draft pick and saving tons of money.

Last edited:
I don't know, I really don't follow other GMs as closely as I follow the Texans.

$18MM GTD salary + $34MM salary cap hit = Gaffe

Care to show me where I was estatic? Was I glad they took a QB? yes, did it work out? no, You're just butthurt that Caserio didn't draft the center that we both liked. Truth is the Texans org is well positioned for the future because Caserio has done a good job of putting them in this position of having plenty of cap space with the ability to create more cap space if needed. Plus a bevy of draft picks to rebuild this franchise. Gotta hit on a QB and hope Ryans is the guy.

So you knew Cooks was going to quit on his team

The deal Cooks signed was a fair market deal.

BTW, you didn't answer my question, which guy that Caserio re-signs is going to quit on the team? Tunsil or Howard? Since you seem to have a magic 8 ball I want to know this answer before they re-sign them.
Who are you referring to? The fans? I doubt they will give DeMeco too much rope. If you mean the McNairs, the organization has gone through a period of mismanagement and disorganization. Ownership will want some stability and DeMeco will be given a lot of rope.

What I'm asking is what's different and shouldn't Ryans/New QB be held to the same standards that Culley/Mills were held too? Maybe even a higher standard since Ryans/new QB will have more talent to work with. In short what's changed?

Last edited:
Yes, you loved the Mills pick. You became ecstatic by it when it was announced.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tunsil put his gas mask on 30 minutes after signing his mega-new contract. That aside the reason I say trade him (1st RD) is that Texans are still several years from being competitive. Why waste $125MM/$60MM GTD, when you can get a solid LT for $20MM for 5 years, you can use the extra $100MM to build the roster. $100MM would go a long way. Pretty much the same logical reasoning for why I wanted to trade Cooks in 2021. Adding a high draft pick and saving tons of money.

I want as many top position players as possible on the team. Not less and hope that someday whoever you draft might be as good as Tunsil. He's still young enough to be a top LT when the rebuild is done and those guys get paid. Only thing I'm asking you is does your magic 8 ball tell you Tunsil is going to quit on the Texans like Cooks did? If so I'm on board with trading Tunsil, but I'm not trading him for financial reasons.

Care to show me where I was estatic? Was I glad they took a QB? yes, did it work out? no, You're just butthurt that Caserio didn't draft the center that we both liked. Truth is the Texans org is well positioned for the future because Caserio has done a good job of putting them in this position of having plenty of cap space with the ability to create more cap space if needed. Plus a bevy of draft picks to rebuild this franchise. Gotta hit on a QB and hope Ryans is the guy.

So you knew Cooks was going to quit on his team

The deal Cooks signed was a fair market deal.

BTW, you didn't answer my question, which guy that Caserio re-signs is going to quit on the team? Tunsil or Howard? Since you seem to have a magic 8 ball I want to know this answer before they re-sign them.

What I'm asking is what's different and shouldn't Ryans/New QB be held to the same standards that Culley/Mills were held too? Maybe even a higher standard since Ryans/new QB will have more talent to work with. In short what's changed?
You're asking unanswerable questions because human beings are individuals and there is no consensual, one answer.

They aren't renegotiating for need. They're trying to retain a top 3 guy at his position and create more cap space too. Will you feel better about the cap space after Cooks is traded and Murray is cut. That should add 14-15 mil to the cap.
I don't know they're trying to retain anyone at this time. I was speaking, generally. Signing Tunsil to a new contract does not fit what I'm talking about. You said if they need more space they could renegotiate contracts to free up space. If they are in that position, the cap is not fixed.

I'm going to wait to see what they do. If they're pushing money to future years, it ain't fixed & most likely won't be fixed anytime soon.

The bottom line is Cooks' contract is another very expensive fustercluck and a continued pattern of management misbehavior over the last 2 years.
The problem with your take is you would not be saying this had Cooks not thrown his fit after his buddy Easterby got fired. It was a fair market extension. In fact Cooks threatened to retire if he was traded again. So quit looking at this through your revisionist history like you normally do.

I don't know they're trying to retain anyone at this time. I was speaking, generally. Signing Tunsil to a new contract does not fit what I'm talking about. You said if they need more space they could renegotiate contracts to free up space. If they are in that position, the cap is not fixed.

I'm going to wait to see what they do. If they're pushing money to future years, it ain't fixed & most likely won't be fixed anytime soon.
How much cap space do you want to have? Give me a number and I'll within reason help you get there.

How much cap space do you want to have? Give me a number and I'll within reason help you get there.
With the quality of this roster they should have around $75M. Like the Jaguars did in 2021.

It really doesn't matter how you get there. The point is the Texans aren't there.

I have recently seen two suggestions that Steichen might want Lamar Jackson. Both said more likely to trade up for QB and save trade bait. One said trade up from 4 would be for Levis.

Last edited:
With the quality of this roster they should have around $75M. Like the Jaguars did in 2021.

It really doesn't matter how you get there. The point is the Texans aren't there.
The point is they can get to 60 fairly easily. I guess we just differ on the number it will take for this franchise to be able to Sign Tunsil and add a couple of high end FA's plus a couple of McKinnon level FA's.

But hey if you want to save money cut everybody but the 1st/2nd yr guys and see how that works out for you.

Thanks for giving me a number, unlike Tex.

I can see "the point" escapes you. But don't give up. Keep thinking about it & it will come to you.

Similarly... look up. The point is about team building, it's not about saving money.
There's plenty of cap space and draft picks to build a fine team.

But y'all keep on counting those pennies.

It's all about better vs best. Some people want best, some people are satisfied with mediocrity. That's ok. This board wouldn't be as entertaining if we all had the same high standards. You mediocre lovers give us something to argue.

It's all about better vs best. Some people want best, some people are satisfied with mediocrity. That's ok. This board wouldn't be as entertaining if we all had the same high standards. You mediocre lovers give us something to argue.
If Ryan's/Caserio can't build championship team with 60 mil to work with and all of the draft picks, then this team is so screwed.

I want as many top position players as possible on the team. Not less and hope that someday whoever you draft might be as good as Tunsil. He's still young enough to be a top LT when the rebuild is done and those guys get paid. Only thing I'm asking you is does your magic 8 ball tell you Tunsil is going to quit on the Texans like Cooks did? If so I'm on board with trading Tunsil, but I'm not trading him for financial reasons.
The Cooks mess is a direct Caserio doing. When Nick "I must restructure It" Caserio restructured Cooks' contract the first time (2021) he canceled the last year of the contract (2022). When Nick "I Must Restructure It" Caserio extended and restructured Cooks contract the 2nd time, he added an extra year (2023) to the contract. If Nick "I Must restructure It" Caserio had just left the Cooks LA Rams contract alone, Cooks would be a free agent today and the Texans would not be on the hook for $34MM in dead cap and his $18MM Guaranteed salary this year.

Regarding, "want as many top position players as possible on the team", you say one thing and promote another. You do a wonderful job of talking the talk but NOT walking the walk. An example is if you truly wanted as many new young players on the team to fill out the roster you would not have been all gung ho on the Texans using (8) 2021 draft picks and (2) 2022 draft picks to draft 5 players. Wanting as many top players as possible and then saying quality over quantity does not compute, because you and your eight ball have no idea what type of players those other 5 draft picks would've produced. Based on the outcome of the first 5, it's quite possible the 2nd (5) would've been equal if not better quality players. The only person you are fooling with your excuses and semantics, is you.

I've told you once and I've told you twice, it has nothing to do with the pennies and everything to do with piss-poor money management. If you are a bad fiscal money manager of $180MM, you'll be a worse fiscal money manager of $220MM. That's how it works.

Why is it the Chiefs can trade Tyreek Hill for a small ransom and the Texans are left holding $34MM in dead cap space and an $18mm GTD 2023 contract for Brandin Cooks? Therein lies the reason and explanation why the Chiefs get it and are Super Bowl Champions and the Texans do not and are familiar with picking in the top 5 in the draft.

It's not about counting those pennies. It's all about making good solid financial management decisions. Something the Texans don't seem to understand and why they have (3) head coaches on the payroll.

Last edited:
The Cooks mess is a direct Caserio doing. When Nick "I must restructure It" Caserio restructured Cooks' contract the first time (2021) he canceled the last year of the contract (2022). When Nick "I Must Restructure It" Caserio extended and restructured Cooks contract the 2nd time, he added an extra year (2023) to the contract. If Nick "I Must restructure It" Caserio had just left the Cooks LA Rams contract alone, Cooks would be a free agent today and the Texans would not be on the hook for $34MM in dead cap and his $18MM Guaranteed salary this year.

Regarding, "want as many top position players as possible on the team", you say one thing and promote another. You do a wonderful job of talking the talk but NOT walking the walk. An example is if you truly wanted as many new young players on the team to fill out the roster you would not have been all gung ho on the Texans using (8) 2021 draft picks and (2) 2022 draft picks to draft 5 players. Wanting as many top players as possible and then saying quality over quantity does not compute, because you and your eight ball have no idea what type of players those other 5 draft picks would've produced. Based on the outcome of the first 5, it's quite possible the 2nd (5) would've been equal if not better quality players. The only person you are fooling with your excuses and semantics, is you.
TLTR

Tell me which guy is going to quit on the team after being restructured next year. Tunsil/Howard?

I've told you once and I've told you twice, it has nothing to do with the pennies and everything to do with piss-poor money management. If you are a bad fiscal money manager of $180MM, you'll be a worse fiscal money manager of $220MM. That's how it works.

Why is it the Chiefs can trade Tyreek Hill for a small ransom and the Texans are left holding $34MM in dead cap space and an $18mm GTD 2023 contract for Brandin Cooks? Therein lies the reason and explanation why the Chiefs get it and are Super Bowl Champions and the Texans do not and are familiar with picking in the top 5 in the draft.

It's not about counting those pennies. It's all about making good solid financial management decisions.
Simple, because

1. Hill is the best WR in the NFL
2. Hill didn't quit on his team 6 months after signing an extension.

What Cooks pulled came straight from Derrick's playbook.

Simple, because

1. Hill is the best WR in the NFL
2. Hill didn't quit on his team 6 months after signing an extension.

What Cooks pulled came straight from Derrick's playbook.
It's a difference in GM's mindset. Some GMs know how to manage the Salary Cap, and some GMs do not.

Back