Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I like N.D. Kalu.

I dont see how a fool like Larry in Stafford achieved talk show relevance in Houston. Anytime that fool comes on the air I start listening to music and many times never make it back to listening to sports talk that day.

Stafford loves listening to himself...........I'm sure he tapes himself in order to savor each and every word.............

At least we don't have to endore Scooby voice overs anymore (or how my Daddy was the syndicated voice of Scooby for a bit.). Jesus Christ how the living hell did Josh Innes get a job anywhere let alone a sports station in Houston.. bigger question is, how the hell did Philly hire him after we fired him? (Which ended in flames).

I wonder what he's up to now.. he didn't know crappola about sports 🤣

I'll never forget Jon McLain once calling a 24 year old Josh Innes the future of sports radio and a up and comming.talent.. oops.
He spent a great deal of time low class demeaning details of his sex life with his girlfriends.

I love Larry in Stafford. He’s a character & he’s playing a character.

I used to listen to Cook & Kalu… stopped listening just before Greg left.

I used to listen to Dirty, but got tired of the Show.

Don’t listen to anything now. All I know is what you guys tell me

I love Larry in Stafford. He’s a character & he’s playing a character.

I used to listen to Cook & Kalu… stopped listening just before Greg left.

I used to listen to Dirty, but got tired of the Show.

Don’t listen to anything now. All I know is what you guys tell me
Man, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel now!
We'll try not to lead you astray.😉

I keep thinking about the feel good factor that’s going on around the Texans right now but I can’t help but feel that they have nailed every decision at the ownership level this year.

A few examples I’m seeing. The hired Lovie who may not have been a winning HC but sure was a likeable loser getting them a high pick while they got out from under DW4 and OB/Easterby dead cap problems.

Easterby gone, Cal allowing Hannah to be more front and Center who seems to have a good feeling for saying/doing the right things.

JJ Watt retires and brings a whole host of faces to identify as Texans from the only feel-good bit of the franchise’s history. AJ has had few good things to say about the team, KJAX, OD etc not been seen in time.

Ryans taking over as HC the actual #1 candidate out there this cycle and a great feel good factor to boot.
You can trace from Kubiak’s downfall when Schaub got injured to upsetting Duane Brown and plenty of other players with an insensitive owner and a disliked Head Coach, no time to recover that situation before the death of the owner and Cal learning on the job while dealing with grief, taken advantage of by OB/Easterby.

Cal seems to be doing a much better job, it’s time for the fans to change the dour tone and begin looking at the positives. Let’s ride the crest of this wave because things seem much better now.

It’s no longer a rebuild but time to build. The broken house is now demolished.

Im looking forward to seeing how things progress now.

As far as 610 goes, I catch maybe 30 min to 1 hr of the morning show with Payne and Pendergast. Don't think I have a whole lot of issues with them, other than Payne tends to boggle down on irrelevant things sometimes. Landry and Lopez can definitely be upgraded, I'm not a fan of when they try to play the game of you take one position, I'll take the opposite, and then we'll just argue for the sake of arguing. And I don't listen to any of the others.

I used to listen to 790 occasionally. Liked LZ. But now I'm not sure when he's on because at one point his time slot changed, and it didn't work with my schedule. Will need to check on that.

I'm not in Houston, so I stream all this sh!t, and there's a time difference...
There is no more self-centered person on Houston sports radio than Payne. They get guests to come on and Seth continually interrupts them to tell some story about himself. Again.

I keep thinking about the feel good factor that’s going on around the Texans right now but I can’t help but feel that they have nailed every decision at the ownership level this year.

A few examples I’m seeing. The hired Lovie who may not have been a winning HC but sure was a likeable loser getting them a high pick while they got out from under DW4 and OB/Easterby dead cap problems.

Easterby gone, Cal allowing Hannah to be more front and Center who seems to have a good feeling for saying/doing the right things.

JJ Watt retires and brings a whole host of faces to identify as Texans from the only feel-good bit of the franchise’s history. AJ has had few good things to say about the team, KJAX, OD etc not been seen in time.

Ryans taking over as HC the actual #1 candidate out there this cycle and a great feel good factor to boot.
You can trace from Kubiak’s downfall when Schaub got injured to upsetting Duane Brown and plenty of other players with an insensitive owner and a disliked Head Coach, no time to recover that situation before the death of the owner and Cal learning on the job while dealing with grief, taken advantage of by OB/Easterby.

Cal seems to be doing a much better job, it’s time for the fans to change the dour tone and begin looking at the positives. Let’s ride the crest of this wave because things seem much better now.

It’s no longer a rebuild but time to build. The broken house is now demolished.

Im looking forward to seeing how things progress now.

The problem with this is the McNair's still own the team.

They only care about the bottom line. It's been this way from the beginning. I'm happy with the Ryans hire, but I dont get the love affair with that era of the Texans, they didn't win anymore than the BOB era.

They only care about the bottom line. It's been this way from the beginning. I'm happy with the Ryans hire, but I dont get the love affair with that era of the Texans, they didn't win anymore than the BOB era.
Yes but their best players weren’t sex offenders so much more likability.

Yes but their best players weren’t sex offenders so much more likability.
Good point on likeability of the players and even coaches. Can anyone imagine Kubiak shouting, "you suck too MF"? I guess they went from loveable losers to insufferable winners.

@steelbtexan. We know who was your most disliked player during the BOB era. Who was your most disliked during the Kubiak era?

Good point on likeability of the players and even coaches. Can anyone imagine Kubiak shouting, "you suck too MF"? I guess they went from loveable losers to insufferable winners.

@steelbtexan. We know who was your most disliked player during the BOB era. Who was your most disliked during the Kubiak era?
No doubt oKoYE

BTW, I don't care about likeability, give me a winner. This shouldn't be a popularity contest.

DeMeco Ryans on Texans’ unsettled quarterback situation: ‘We have to add more at that position’
New head coach emphasizes it’s about much more than one position
AARON WILSON

HOUSTON – New Texans coach DeMeco Ryans witnessed firsthand during his final game and season as the San Francisco 49ers’ defensive coordinator how important health and efficiency are at the quarterback position.

The 49ers reached the NFC championship game behind strong performances from third-string quarterback Brock Purdy after losing Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo to season-ending injuries only to lose to the Philadelphia Eagles as Purdy injured his elbow and fourth-string quarterback Josh Johnson suffered a concussion.\

The Texans’ unresolved quarterback situation is one of the AFC South franchise’s biggest question marks.

Davis Mills was benched for two games and replaced by Kyle Allen before regaining the starting job. Mills regressed during his second NFL season with inconsistency defining his year. He completed 61 percent of his throws for 3,118 yards, 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions for a 78.8 passer rating. In two seasons, Mills has completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 5,782 yards, 33 touchdowns and 25 interceptions.

Armed with salary-cap space and the second and 12th overall picks of the draft, the Texans have a myriad of options to address the position this offseason. They could draft a quarterback, choosing from a class that includes Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Will Levis and Anthony RIchardson and/or look at the merits of veterans that include Derek Carr, Garoppolo, Geno Smith and Lamar Jackson, the Baltimore Ravens’ likely franchise player.

During his introductory press conference, Ryans was noncommittal on a plan at quarterback that’s still being formulated as he’s only two days into the job as a first-time head coach. Mills, a former third-round draft pick from Stanford who has displayed flashes of strong potential at times, is the only quarterback under contract as Allen and Jeff Driskel are free agents.
With the 49ers, coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch took several swings at the position. That included trading up to tab Lance and trading for Garoppolo from the New England Patriots and signing him to a $137.5 million contract. The 49ers, the only team Ryans has coached for previously, are a prime example of investment in the all-important quarterback position.
“We understand,” Ryans said. “We have one quarterback here on our roster, and we have to add more at that position. We know everybody gets excited about the quarterback. The quarterback is one piece to a team. As I’ve seen in San Francisco, what happens when you don’t have that one guy? Is the season over? Are you just booking it? No. How do you build around that quarterback?

“Yes, we want a great quarterback, but, no, we need a great offensive line to protect the quarterback. We need great running backs, great tight ends, great receivers. We need a great defense, special teams. We all play together. That’s the awesome part about football is it’s not on one guy’s shoulders to go out there and win the game for us. It’s all about building around each other and playing together. That’s how we’ll win games.”

Mills passed for 298 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the final game of the season, engineering a game-winning drive to beat the Indianapolis Colts. He connected with tight end Jordan Akins for the game-winning two-point conversion and touchdown.

When the Texans’ season was over, Mills expressed confidence in entering next season as the starter. There’s no commitment from the AFC South franchise to do that, but it’s not out of the question to think that Mills could enter the season as the starter and hold down the job until a rookie is deemed ready or operate as the backup.

“I’d like to think to myself that I’ve shown enough,” Mills said. “Personally, I think that my best football days are still ahead of me. There are always going to be questions, and I don’t have full control over that decision.

“I want to continue developing as a player and as a person. I know my mindset is always going to be the same. I’m just going to put my head down and get down to work regardless of what happens.”

Rick Smith.
Hey you didn’t like Deshaun Watson despite all the winning.
True. I guess it's close, but Watson is his most disliked.
  1. Watson (post allegations)
  2. Watson (pre allegations)
  3. Rick Smith (Kubiak era)
  4. Tricky Ricky (BOB era. After he didn't draft Jimmy G, he was simply known as Ricky)
  5. Warren Moon
  6. Nigerians (with and without parents in the medical field)
  7. Clemson players (nothing but trash)
  8. Ohio State QBs (not championship QBs)
  9. Midget QBs
  10. McNairs for their marketing strategy
EDIT: based on the comments below for a top 10 list.

Last edited:
I think he wants to enjoy the family a bit. Just had a baby, freshly retired. Who knows though maybe I’m wrong. If he does get on the staff at some point will someone be there to help him talk about setting the edge and containment? I’m kidding of course :banana:
I've read an article and had linked it to the forum some years back.
Watt was given the green light to get into the backfield.
The article didn't say "total freedom"; it only said that Watt it was a part in the scheme to allow Watt to get into the backfield to create havoc.

When it was part of the scheme then it only makes sense that another player, the SS or a LB, should be assigned to cover the gap that he left.

If Watt went beyond what he was encouraged to do, I think Wade would have reigned him in.

"Nobody is outside the law", so to speak.

I've read an article and had linked it to the forum some years back.
Watt was given the green light to get into the backfield.
The article didn't say "total freedom"; it only said that Watt it was a part in the scheme to allow Watt to get into the backfield to create havoc.

When it was part of the scheme then it only makes sense that another player, the SS or a LB, should be assigned to cover the gap that he left.

If Watt went beyond what he was encouraged to do, I think Wade would have reigned him in.

"Nobody is outside the law", so to speak.
The problem was that Watt, shifting around doing that, did fine for himself............but unfortunately, our LBs and SSs were not clairvoyant or instinctive enough to effectively cover the gaps he left.

The problem was that Watt, shifting around doing that, did fine for himself............but unfortunately, our LBs and SSs were not clairvoyant or instinctive enough to effectively cover the gaps he left.
There's nothing clairvoyant about it.
If there is, Wade Phillips should have been fired on the spot.

Analysis: Would signing Jimmy Garoppolo or Derek Carr actually make sense for the Texans?
Jonathan M. Alexander, Staff writer
Feb. 6, 2023Updated: Feb. 6, 2023 2:45 p.m.

One of the most important tasks for DeMeco Ryans as he prepares to take the Texans in a new direction is figuring out what to do at the quarterback position.

It’s the biggest question this offseason after the Texans struggled to get any passing game going in 2022. The Texans’ three quarterbacks — Davis Mills, Kyle Allen and Jeff Driskel — combined to throw 20 touchdowns and 19 interceptions and also lost five fumbles as Houston ranked 31st out of 32 teams in passing offense.

Meanwhile, the two Super Bowl teams — the Chiefs and Eagles — have franchise-changing quarterbacks in Patrick Mahomes and Houston’s own Jalen Hurts. Mahomes and Hurts are why their teams have been successful.

Mills is entering the third year of his four-year rookie deal. And he’s the only quarterback on Houston’s roster under contract for next season.

When asked how important the position is, Ryans said the Texans have to add more to the quarterback room, but the new head coach added a caveat.

“We know everybody gets excited about the quarterback,” Ryans said last week at his introductory press conference. “The quarterback is one piece to a team. As I’ve seen in San Francisco, what happens when you don't have that one guy? Is the season over? Are you just booking it? No. How do you build around that quarterback? Yes, we want a great quarterback, but we need a great offensive line to protect the quarterback.

“We need great running backs, great tight ends, great receivers. We need a great defense, special teams. We all play together. The awesome part about football is it's not on one guy's shoulders to go out there and win the game for us. It's all about building around each other and playing together. That's how we'll win games.”

There’s a lot to unpack from Ryans’ answer. But what he’s essentially saying is the Texans have to build around the quarterback for him to be successful. And that supplemental pieces are crucial, especially if the quarterback gets injured. That was the case for the 49ers as they went through three quarterbacks throughout the season and were still able to make it to the NFC Championship Game.

Drafting a quarterback at No. 2 makes the most sense for the Texans. It’s the most important position on the field. And Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud or Kentucky’s Will Levis could all be there at No. 2 unless another team trades up with the Bears.

But there are also concerns about each, and the Texans could choose to pass on a QB with the second pick. They might fall in love with defensive tackle Jalen Carter or linebacker Will Anderson Jr., who could both certainly help with their poor run defense.

They could also draft a quarterback at No. 2 and have him sit for a year.

In both of those cases, the Texans would likely need to sign a veteran quarterback in free agency.

Last week, the NFL set the salary cap to $224.8 million. The Texans have the fourth-most cap space in the NFL at $37.5 million. That number will likely increase as they part ways with some players, meaning they are in a position to make a move or two this offseason if they wish.

Two quarterbacks who have gotten a lot of attention and will continue to be a focus this offseason are Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo. The Raiders and 49ers have made it clear they are moving away from them. And both are starters in this league.
Here is a breakdown of both and whether they make sense for the Texans:

Though they were on different sides of the ball, Garoppolo and Ryans were together in San Francisco since the 2017 season. Garoppolo arrived via trade, while Ryans was hired as a defensive quality control coach. So the two have some history.

The 49ers attempted to trade Garoppolo last season but could not find a team willing to take on his contract or meet their asking price, which at one point was two second-round picks. The 49ers kept Garoppolo and restructured his contract for the final year.

The nine-year veteran played well before his injury, passing for 2,437 yards, 16 touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 67.2 percent of his passes in 11 games. The 49ers were 7-3 with him as the starter before a foot injury caused him to miss the remaining five weeks of the season and the playoffs.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan made it clear last week that he doesn't see any scenario in which Garoppolo would return.
Garoppolo, a free agent, will likely want a long-term contract with his new team but might have to play on a two- or three-year prove-it deal because he has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career. League sources predict his market will be somewhere between $25 million and $30 million per year.
THE REST OF STORY

I just don't see it and agree with PFF ranking in the 40s.
He's a very good backup S. Maybe better than that, which is hard to say since Owens and Petrie were the teams leading tacklers last yr. That's a sign of a very bad defense

Back