Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Well, either Thunderkyss or something like Taste o' Kentucky .... old Bourbon and Glazed Doughnuts, as I recall.
So you didn't read the post you quoted?
Just enjoy the Kool-Aid:). I’m enjoying my favorite flavor like a fine wood cask scotch….in a Hi-Ball glass with a couple of large ice cubes…..sipping it slowly to savor the flavor.

Seems like Lovie and Caserio are hitting the ground running with these assistant coaches.
And it seems like they're fairly easily attracting guys with good overall experience, who have worked in the past with either Lovie or Pep.
Can't believe I'm allowing myself to feel slightly optimistic about this

Staff will be an upgrade. Lovie's been around a long time and knows good teachers. Still absolutely hate the way business was done.

Staff will be an upgrade. Lovie's been around a long time and knows good teachers. Still absolutely hate the way business was done.

images

Seems like Lovie and Caserio are hitting the ground running with these assistant coaches.
And it seems like they're fairly easily attracting guys with good overall experience, who have worked in the past with either Lovie or Pep.
Can't believe I'm allowing myself to feel slightly optimistic about this

Yeah, I don't hate the Lovie hiring. At least he's head coach material and not an obvious lackey just happy to be here. He's well respected by both players and coaches around the league, and for a franchise considered a laughing stock, this perception of the head coach helps.

It might very well be the blind squirrel finding a nut, but as was predicted, at least it's not Josh McCown. lol

I do not think Lovie will be the hand puppet that Caserio had with Culley. And if reports are true, then he's got the ear of the owner as much as anyone else in the building.

It should not surprise us at all with how business was done. The acorn never falls far from the tree. Cal is just doing it the way he was taught, but has none of the self-made business acumen of his father.

Maybe they luck into a good decision with Lovie. He's probably got a couple of seasons to prove his worth before the politics take him out. As a fan, I hope he can pull if off and slowly start to rebuild the front office toward a more football-oriented focus.

I do not think Lovie will be the hand puppet that Caserio had with Culley. And if reports are true, then he's got the ear of the owner as much as anyone else in the building.

Maybe they luck into a good decision with Lovie. He's probably got a couple of seasons to prove his worth before the politics take him out. As a fan, I hope he can pull if off and slowly start to rebuild the front office toward a more football-oriented focus.
I do believe that Lovie had the leverage in this deal. If Lovie turns them down, what do the Texans have? I imagine Lovie's deal is considerably better than Culley's and for that reason alone Lovie will be here awhile (2 or more years minimum). I doubt Cal wants to swallow $30+MM a year after hiring Lovie. Cal's biggest problem is fans apathy, media discontent and negativity. He can't ask the fans to trust him again and you can only lie to yourself for so long. At some point in the not too distant future, (before the 2024 season) Cal will have to completely clean house, or sell, in order to gain any favor with fans and the press. Right now, the biggest FUBAR to be exposed in this mess is, why wasn't Lovie hired last year?

I do believe that Lovie had the leverage in this deal. If Lovie turns them down, what do the Texans have? I imagine Lovie's deal is considerably better than Culley's and for that reason alone Lovie will be here awhile (2 or more years minimum). I doubt Cal wants to swallow $30+MM a year after hiring Lovie. Cal's biggest problem is fans apathy, media discontent and negativity. He can't ask the fans to trust him again and you can only lie to yourself for so long. At some point in the not too distant future, (before the 2024 season) Cal will have to completely clean house, or sell, in order to gain any favor with fans and the press. Right now, the biggest FUBAR to be exposed in this mess is, why wasn't Lovie hired last year?

Yep. I enjoyed Lovie's press conference. He sounds like a head coach, which is a sad state of affairs for Texans fans when that matters, but I think in his mind he's here to win games.

This could be Cal's version of hiring Bum Philips, another Texas native hired by a wayward NFL franchise. Lovie doesn't have the "smartest man in the room" arrogance of O'Brien, doesn't have that deer-in-the-headlights vibe of Culley, and has the lifelong career of a coach that has had to deal with a variety of front offices and players over the years. He's got a sort of "man's man" aura about him, and I honestly doubt he's going to allow himself to be played by anyone in this front office. He just doesn't seem like he'd tolerate the bullshit, especially at his age and this point in his career.

Regardless of what Lovie has done in the past, I think he could be the guy to clean up a lot of this mess and get this franchise to focus on football instead of some of the other off-the-field subjects that have been circulating.

I'm not predicting winning records or playoffs, but with a franchise that finds itself stuck in the mud, just getting back on the road and trying to be back in the race is what us lowly fans need to at least have some semblance of hope for the future.

I'm not predicting winning records or playoffs, but with a franchise that finds itself stuck in the mud, just getting back on the road and trying to be back in the race is what us lowly fans need to at least have some semblance of hope for the future.
I'm hoping we can compete in this division as soon as 2022.

I know that comes with a home playoff game, but I'm not saying I think this will be a playoff team in 2022... other than possibly winning this division.

I'm hoping we can compete in this division as soon as 2022.

I know that comes with a home playoff game, but I'm not saying I think this will be a playoff team in 2022... other than possibly winning this division.
Had to do a double take. That's this year. Such a dramatic turn around has happened before, so it's not inconceivable. I'm looking forward to seeing how the personnel is improved through the draft. Then let's see in OTA's and training camp how our offense evolves behind Mills.

Sounds to me like a lot of people are suffering from ‘whew, it’s not McCown’ syndrome.

Lovie Smith is not going to be turning anything around, at least not until Caserio actually starts doing what a GM is supposed to do, you know, bringing in talented players, building a football team. So he’ll have to take the head set off and do that before anything around here gets turned around, regardless of who is coaching the team.

Last I checked this roster was still pretty void of talent, and whatever they did have, 28 players became FAs on Jan. 10. There’s like 26-28 currently under contract for 2022 with a dozen or so reserve/future signings. Caserio’s got a ton to do just to fill out the roster, never mind get some talent/playmakers in here.

Fortunately he spent an entire month with a sham HC search. No, I didn’t say hiring Lovie is a sham, I’m saying the search was. Lovie’s just the result of their dysfunction.

So I know Caserio likes to be involved in everything, during games, practices, whatever. I’d just like to see him start at least acting like a GM for once. That’d be nice.

Sounds to me like a lot of people are suffering from ‘whew, it’s not McCown’ syndrome.
Not going to lie. The thing I like most about this hire is that it’s not Josh McCown.

i don’t think Lovi’s a good coach. Jacksonville probably has the best coach in our division, & they will probably have the most talented roster when the season starts. Maybe.

But as far as HCs go, I think Lovie is comparable to Reich & Vrabel.

So he’ll have to take the head set off and do that before anything around here gets turned around,
You should be happy to know he won’t be wearing a headset until mid/late August. He won’t be participating in QB drills or any of that crap either. Until mid/late August.

he won’t have to worry about cleaning up after his HC & some of the things he says.

However, he seems to be working on his “brand” on 610. That may turn into a problem.

Not going to lie. The thing I like most about this hire is that it’s not Josh McCown.

i don’t think Lovi’s a good coach. Jacksonville probably has the best coach in our division, & they will probably have the most talented roster when the season starts. Maybe.

But as far as HCs go, I think Lovie is comparable to Reich & Vrabel.

You should be happy to know he won’t be wearing a headset until mid/late August. He won’t be participating in QB drills or any of that crap either. Until mid/late August.

he won’t have to worry about cleaning up after his HC & some of the things he says.

However, he seems to be working on his “brand” on 610. That may turn into a problem.

You know what solves all these problems?

W’s.

In the meantime I can understand the skepticism.

I don’t understand the outright failure expectations. You got to give the new GM or coach a few years to grade the talent and moves they make. Not several. Looking at you Rick Smith and Bill O’Brein.

I was all-in on the McCown train. That's because I saw it as the quickest road to a complete top to bottom makeover/turnover of the Houston Texans.

I wasn't for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I think they would have given him more years than he deserved and it could have lead to even more foundational and systematic dysfunction that could have taken decades to overcome. His uncertainty at press conferences revealed a man that is insecure about the position. That alone said volumes. Lovie is confident and sounds like he belongs as a head coach.

At this moment, I think they accidentally made a good decision with Lovie, and it's not necessarily about wins but rather changing the course of the front office focus.

He might even be the Easterby killer this team needs. I doubt he's going to allow that dude as much sway with this organization that McCown would have allowed.

I've got a theory (and it's just brain droppings) that Cal has a new father figure in Lovie. He needed Easterby to lean on when O'Brien went rogue, and now it's time to flush that turd with giving Lovie the owner's endorsement. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's logical in my twisted mind and I like the idea of Jack not getting what he wanted. lol

I was all-in on the McCown train. That's because I saw it as the quickest road to a complete top to bottom makeover/turnover of the Houston Texans.
When have the McNairs been willing to do a complete top to bottom makeover/turnover? They should have fired Smith with Kubiak. They should have fired BOB and Smith. They should have fired Easterby and BOB. They've had multiple opportunities for a fresh start and every time, they do a half a$$ job.

So, if the opportunity presented itself with a McCown hire, there are no guarantees they would do a complete top to bottom makeover.

Last edited:
When have the McNairs been willing to do a complete top to bottom makeover/turnover? They should have fired Smith with Kubiak. They should have fired BOB and Smith. They should have fired Easterby and BOB. They've had multiple opportunities for a fresh start and every time, they do a half a$$ job.

So, if the opportunity presented itself with McCown hire, there are no guarantees they would do a complete top to bottom makeover.

This man knows his Texans.

Probably. But I think Cal's love for Lovie is real. And if/when the Lovie/Nick relationship goes sour, Lovie could wind up the winner.
Seeing how Lovie was a Cal hire, it does kind of elevate the HC status. Nick will have to backoff from his in-your-face micromanagement. I concur that Lovie holds the upper hand. Nick has twice made a mockery of the HC hiring process and left considerable doubt whether he knew what he was doing. Lovie's resume and 11 years as an NFL HC carries considerably more weight and authority. The football IQ in the Kirby Boardroom went up considerably when Lovie walked into the room. When Lovie talks, it makes sense. When Nick speaks it leaves everyone in the room with a collective, huh? What?

So, if the opportunity presented itself with McCown hire, there are no guarantees they would do a complete top to bottom makeover.

Yep. They always seem to leave a remnant of the previous regime. They even did it to Kubiak with letting Casserly stay on through Gary's first draft! lol

The more I see Lovie's interviews, the more I like the guy. He's got a swag about his demeanor that radiates confidence. Hopefully that starts to permeate the entire franchise.

Seeing how Lovie was a Cal hire, it does kind of elevate the HC status. Nick will have to backoff from his in-your-face micromanagement. I concur that Lovie holds the upper hand.
Cal gave Nick the old vote of confidence, constantly praising Caserio's role in the process. That usually means the guy is on the hot seat. If Nick does a good job with the Watson trade (whenever that happens), he will be back in Cal's good graces. But Nick and Jack can forget about trying to stab Lovie in the back. He's no Culley.

Cal gave Nick the old vote of confidence, constantly praising Caserio's role in the process. That usually means the guy is on the hot seat. If Nick does a good job with the Watson trade (whenever that happens), he will be back in Cal's good graces. But Nick and Jack can forget about trying to stab Lovie in the back. He's no Culley.
What is a good job with the Watson trade? In Cal's eyes and Janice too, that probably means the sooner the better, compensation be damned. As to the old vote of confidence, the spin cycle was on high during the press conference. It might have been what set off the fire alarm.

Well, Cal will have to be told if the deal is good or bad. If the media skewers the trade, it's bad news for Caserio.

What if part of the plan this whole time is either a kings ransom or waiting it out to void the guaranteed money/bonus money? Recouping it similar to how the Falcons did with Vick. Money is probably part of the equation.

Like I said in another thread we should be prepared to get nothing.

What if part of the plan this whole time is either a kings ransom or waiting it out to void the guaranteed money/bonus money? Recouping it similar to how the Falcons did with Vick. Money is probably part of the equation.

Like I said in another thread we should be prepared to get nothing.
If the Texans were worried about money they wouldn't have paid him last year

Andre Johnson was not voted into the Hall of Fame.
Not surprised, though disappointed. I'm more surprised about DeMarcus Ware, who like AJ a gret player, didn't make it because the media is so focused on the post season, and Ware of course was on a SB winning team.
I'm glad Bosseli finally got in 'cause it seems every franchise should have atleast one rep in he HOF and Bosseli is also worthy because like Andre & Ware one of the best at his position during the time he played.

Not surprised, though disappointed. I'm more surprised about DeMarcus Ware, who like AJ a gret player, didn't make it because the media is so focused on the post season, and Ware of course was on a SB winning team.
AJ, Ware, Wayne, Willis will all get in. This year was about clearing the backlog of HOF worthy players that had been piling up.

Don't care for they guy one way or the other, but this team was a laughingstock/train wreck long before Easterby came aboard.
He may be an opportunistic freeloader, but he is not the problem.

Lovie seems to be an ok guy. But he was an after thought after all hell broke loose with the Flores firing.

Another panic hiring. Hope he can keep the boat afloat till the waves die down.

People picking an easy target like Caserio to blame is an exercise in ignorance. This dumpster was burning long before he got here. He'll right the ship, but not overnight.

Hate to state the fact, but we have no option except to remain patient. (and b!tch unceasingly)

:coffee:

Back