Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

DW4 needs to be Fouts. LMAO.

Fouts was one of the best at throwing with accuracy/anticipation.
Well, DW4 has to be the Man, unless...... I just watched the movie My All American. I was at UT that season of 1968 when Coach Royal yanked his star QB Bill Bradley and put in James Street.

Who's our James Street?

Well, DW4 has to be the Man, unless...... I just watched the movie My All American. I was at UT that season of 1968 when Coach Royal yanked his star QB Bill Bradley and put in James Street.

Who's our James Street?
Not trying to sound condescending, but what is the point of these comparisons? What relevance is it to our team who our comparison is to James Street? Every team has their own formula to win and to reach success.

Not trying to sound condescending, but what is the point of these comparisons? What relevance is it to our team who our comparison is to James Street? Every team has their own formula to win and to reach success.
The discussion is whether DW4 can take the Texans to the next level. Some say no, some say yes.

But without having a bad season so we have a high draft pick, DW4 is our QB.

Unless OB can do what Coach Royal did and yank our star QB and find our "James Street".

The discussion is whether DW4 can take the Texans to the next level. Some say no, some say yes.

But without having a bad season so we have a high draft pick, DW4 is our QB.

Unless OB can do what Coach Royal did and yank our star QB and find our "James Street".
I’m aware of the conversation but there are many other factors into whether Watson can take us to the next level besides being pulled for a “James Street” being the only other option. Coaching should be the primary focus here.

I’m aware of the conversation but there are many other factors into whether Watson can take us to the next level besides being pulled for a “James Street” being the only other option. Coaching should be the primary focus here.
Is this not the random thought of the day thread?

Did we do enough to keep pace with the Colts & Titans?

That's my question.

The Titans I'm not sure. But the Colts, I don't think so. They added Rivers, Buckner, and Pittman Jr. They also have two legit threats at running back now. I'd have to say the colts would be the favorite to win the AFCS as it sits right now.

Although I agree with a majority of your posts, you and I see Watson much differently. I have read in countless places that one of DW4's biggest strengths is his leadership. Their style of play differs, but I think Watson can trade blows with Mahomes any day of the week. To me it all comes down to the players around them, and the coaches putting them in a position to succeed.

What you read and the truth are sometimes totally different things.

Leaders dont let their teams get beat 51-7 in 3 qtrs, regardless of coaching/talent etc... When the Chiefs were down 24-0 you didn't see Mahomes sulking with his jacket on, on the sidelines.

Well, yes. But we have nothing to focus on other than conjecture. We have literally nothing to base an opinion on as to what Kelly will be allowed to do or how he will call plays, other than knowing the skill players we have in place. But no matter what this offense will be, Watson will have to execute it. And we do have three seasons of evaluating Watson's capabilities.

The primary focus should be on how well DW4 plays next yr. He's got the talent around him, he just has to be alot better than he was last yr.

What you read and the truth are sometimes totally different things.

Leaders dont let their teams get beat 51-7 in 3 qtrs, regardless of coaching/talent etc... When the Chiefs were down 24-0 you didn't see Mahomes sulking with his jacket on, on the sidelines.

In any war, win or lose, both sides often have respectable leaders. The outcome is often a result of firepower, strategy and luck.

Well, yes. But we have nothing to focus on other than conjecture. We have literally nothing to base an opinion on as to what Kelly will be allowed to do or how he will call plays, other than knowing the skill players we have in place. But no matter what this offense will be, Watson will have to execute it. And we do have three seasons of evaluating Watson's capabilities.

So far I wouldn't call the 3 seasons promising. He looks worse from yr to yr starting with his rookie yr when I thought he was going to be a star.

His capabilities can only be judged so far based on his system. Do you think Mahomes would be viewed as good as he is if he played under BOB and our offense the past 3 years?

Although I agree with a majority of your posts, you and I see Watson much differently. I have read in countless places that one of DW4's biggest strengths is his leadership. Their style of play differs, but I think Watson can trade blows with Mahomes any day of the week. To me it all comes down to the players around them, and the coaches putting them in a position to succeed.
100%. Mahomes would not be the player he is today if he played under BOB and our offense the past 3 years.

His capabilities can only be judged so far based on his system. Do you think Mahomes would be viewed as good as he is if he played under BOB and our offense the past 3 years?

Yes, Mahomes would be perfect for what BOB wants to run and I can guarantee you 51-7 wouldn't happen with Mahomes under C. There's a reason BOB wanted Mahomes in that draft and a reason RS didn't draft Mahomes.

Mahomes has more natural ability and has better leadership skills. He's a guy who in 2 yrs has lead his team to an AFCCG and a SB victory. Giving Reid all of the credit is shortchanging how great Mahomes has been the last 2 yrs.

Yes, Mahomes would be perfect for what BOB wants to run and I can guarantee you 51-7 wouldn't happen with Mahomes under C. There's a reason BOB wanted Mahomes in that draft and a reason RS didn't draft Mahomes.

Mahomes has more natural ability and has better leadership skills. He's a guy who in 2 yrs has lead his team to an AFCCG and a SB victory. Giving Reid all of the credit is shortchanging how great Mahomes has been the last 2 yrs.
Do not agree with this. Mahomes under BOB and Texans would not be the same Mahomes he is today.

I can't add to what Steelb has already said. I may have a slight bit more optimism than he has that DW4 hasn't yet shown us his potential, but I have stated this coming season is his make or break year.

I can't add to what Steelb has already said. I may have a slight bit more optimism than he has that DW4 hasn't yet shown us his potential, but I have stated this coming season is his make or break year.
It’s his make or break year with BOB. Then someone with better coaching and system will acquire him and he’ll thrive. Look at a guy like Tannehill in Miami then Tennessee. Right system with better coaching reinvigorated his career.

The primary focus should be on how well DW4 plays next yr. He's got the talent around him, he just has to be alot better than he was last yr.

Take off this big ball chained around his neck maybe.

bill-obrien.jpg

& he looked vulnerable when his LT was out of the game. Take Kelce out of the equation, or put a Kelce on our side.

I agree they aren't the same QB. I agree Mahomes has skills & talent Watson does not have.

But I don't see how he's a better fit for what BO'b wants to do when I'm not sure BO'b knows what he wants to do.

Watson has been hamstrung by playing for OB. Maybe Kelly changes that this season but we'll have to wait and see. Watson was a winner before he arrived and may have continued his ways with a proper NFL HC & OC.

It’s his make or break year with BOB. Then someone with better coaching and system will acquire him and he’ll thrive. Look at a guy like Tannehill in Miami then Tennessee. Right system with better coaching reinvigorated his career.
True for a lot of players.

Returning to a previous post, Bill Bradley went on to be a pro-bowl NFL career and coaching sucess. But he just wasn't the right QB to run Coach Royal's new Wishbone offense. So the point is, Watson just may not be the right QB to run the offense OB, and Kelly, are putting in place. I give Watson one year to prove he's the Man.

Returning to a previous post, Bill Bradley went on to be a pro-bowl NFL career and coaching sucess. But he just wasn't the right QB to run Coach Royal's new Wishbone offense. So the point is, Watson just may not be the right QB to run the offense OB, and Kelly, are putting in place. I give Watson one year to prove he's the Man.
I don’t think he’ll ever be the man under BOB. He’d easily be the man elsewhere.

Fair question to all: Did the Texans do enough this off-season and in the draft to truly compete with the likes of Baltimore and Kansas City? Both of those teams had huge seasons....the Ravens had the best record and the Chiefs got the Lombardi Trophy. They made solid off-season moves and then had really good drafts. Both of these teams are now the cream of the crop in the AFC.....possibly in the NFL. Will the Texans unseat either of them?

I hope so but I do not believe so. Reason being we didn’t get better defensively. Getting rid of Gipson hurts that secondary as well. Offensively I believe we will be able to score with the best of them.

So I guess the real question is, will Obrien adjust/coach to Watsons skill set or will he resort to the previous QB carousel.

Pretty sure we all think we know the answer.

:coffee:

Andy Reid has a long history of getting the most out of his QBs. I mean, he made Alex Smith a three-time pro-bowler, and he even lead the league in passer rating one season.

Mahomes would still be good w/ BOB, but IMO, there's no way he'd be considered the God he is being raved as today.

The defense was a huge weakness last season. The defense was the bigger reason why they couldn't at least make the KC game competitive.

For as much as we say BOB hates rookies, he's BANKING on three rookies to turn the defense around.
  1. Ross Blacklock
  2. Jonathan Greenard
  3. Anthony Weaver

Do not agree with this. Mahomes under BOB and Texans would not be the same Mahomes he is today.

It's very easy to blame BOB for DW4's shortcomings and on the otherhand give Reid the credit for Mahomes being the best QB in the game today. Truth lies somewhere in between. Mahomes is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL, there's no shame in that DW4 doesn't have the natural ability that Mahomes has but he's still gifted. The only 2 QB's whose physical gifts are comparable to Mahomes is Rodgers/Wilson. I think that if DW4 can speed up his decision making and improve his accuracy/anticipation then his career can closely mirror that of Wilson's. DW4's accuracy isn't nearly as good as Wilson's right now.

I believe BOB wants to fully install the Coryell offense but this is a mistake IMHO. Because there's no way DW4's skillset is near as good as Hart/Fouts was.

So I guess the real question is, will Obrien adjust/coach to Watsons skill set or will he resort to the previous QB carousel.

Pretty sure we all think we know the answer.

:coffee:

Nope, the real question is how good is DW4. I'm thinking not good enough to win a championship, so before giving him 35 mil per yr, I would rather trade him and get draft capital to re-invest in the team.

Just a thought, next offseason Rodgers probably will be available. Would you trade DW4 and use some of the draft capital you would get to trade for 3 yrs of Rodgers? Sign me up for that.

Mahomes only led his college team to a 13-16 record as the starter. One of his last college games was a pathetic 66-10 whipping from a terrible 3-9 Iowa St team. A true leader doesn’t let that happen. He would have overcome any deficiencies in talent and coaching and put his team on his back.

It’s lucky for him that his leadership skills really started to shine once he was paired with a head coach like Andy Reid. Reid had only been to five conference championships and won eight division titles before he ever had Mahomes.

Watson was 32-3 in college, btw.

Watson has been hamstrung by playing for OB. Maybe Kelly changes that this season but we'll have to wait and see. Watson was a winner before he arrived and may have continued his ways with a proper NFL HC & OC.

Alot of QB's have played great in college and fallen short in the NFL.

Mahomes only led his college team to a 13-16 record as the starter. One of his last college games was a pathetic 66-10 whipping from a terrible 3-9 Iowa St team. A true leader doesn’t let that happen. He would have overcome any deficiencies in talent and coaching and put his team on his back.

It’s lucky for him that his leadership skills really started to shine once he was paired with a head coach like Andy Reid. Reid had only been to five conference championships and won eight division titles before he ever had Mahomes.

Watson was 32-3 in college, btw.

And there's the difference between the NFL and college. When talent levels are close to equal Mahomes shines. Example: Last yrs SB

& he looked vulnerable when his LT was out of the game. Take Kelce out of the equation, or put a Kelce on our side.

I agree they aren't the same QB. I agree Mahomes has skills & talent Watson does not have.

But I don't see how he's a better fit for what BO'b wants to do when I'm not sure BO'b knows what he wants to do.

Kelce isn't Texans Worthy.

Mahomes did pretty well considering the sloth that's Cam Erving was playing LT.

Nope, the real question is how good is DW4. I'm thinking not good enough to win a championship, so before giving him 35 mil per yr, I would rather trade him and get draft capital to re-invest in the team.

Just a thought, next offseason Rodgers probably will be available. Would you trade DW4 and use some of the draft capital you would get to trade for 3 yrs of Rodgers? Sign me up for that.
There's reports that the Texans may be trying to extend Watson's contract now, this year. I would not. I want to see one year with a new look offense.

But if a deal gets done, this will tell us what the relationship, which is reportedly good, really is between the two.

And there's the difference between the NFL and college. When talent levels are close to equal Mahomes shines. Example: Last yrs SB

Mahomes is a great talent. Nobody disagrees. You should stick to that argument instead of trying to pretend that he and Watson have anything close to the same situation. You keep going off on tangents meant to demean Watson when it really isn’t necessary.

I think you would find that plenty of people here agree that Watson needs to improve. I seriously doubt anyone really believes that Watson has the same arm talent as Mahomes.

But it is ludicrous to pretend that Reid and his system haven’t benefited Mahomes. That partnership is clearly an advantage he enjoys that Watson does not.

Mahomes is a great talent. Nobody disagrees. You should stick to that argument instead of trying to pretend that he and Watson have anything close to the same situation. You keep going off on tangents meant to demean Watson when it really isn’t necessary.

I think you would find that plenty of people here agree that Watson needs to improve. I seriously doubt anyone really believes that Watson has the same arm talent as Mahomes.

But it is ludicrous to pretend that Reid and his system haven’t benefited Mahomes. That partnership is clearly an advantage he enjoys that Watson does not.

Take a bow... couldn't be explained any better.

No I just dont like the narrative that if DW4 was with Reid he would be doing what Mahomes has done narrative around these parts. It demeans Mahomes talent/leadership qualities. DW4 has nowhere near the natural talent level Mahomes has and DW4 could only hope to do as well with Reid as Mahomes has.

Do you think Mahomes would do better in BOB's system than DW4 has? Do you think Mahomes has done better than DW4 would do in Reid's system?

I just dont like the DW4's as good as Mahomes crowd and all of their IF's.

Andy Reid has a long history of getting the most out of his QBs. I mean, he made Alex Smith a three-time pro-bowler, and he even lead the league in passer rating one season.

Mahomes would still be good w/ BOB, but IMO, there's no way he'd be considered the God he is being raved as today.

Hitting them with the real deal Holyfield today.

You dont know this.

His talent level would fit excellently with what BOB wants to do. Mahomes even without Reid has generational talent (Rodgers like) and yes Reid has helped him reach that level but the gifts (Which DW4 and most other human beings dont have) are and always have been there.

God I wish the Texans weren't so dysfunctional and RS would've given up the 3rd to get Mahomes. That one decision is going to set this franchise back atleast another 5 yrs regardless of who the HC is.

Back