Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

I remember the good old days when we would sit around the fire roasting marshmallows while talking about the merits and shortcomings of Brooks Reed. Now we’re arguing to what degree the Texans organization has become a cluster ****. They’re still winning about the same amount of games. They’re still taking advantage of the AFC South. They’re still getting bounced early in the playoffs. It’s just that now, the issues appear much more systemic and harder to fix than a missed containment assignment from a SLB.

I remember the good old days when we would sit around the fire roasting marshmallows while talking about the merits and shortcomings of Brooks Reed. Now we’re arguing to what degree the Texans organization has become a cluster ****. They’re still winning about the same amount of games. They’re still taking advantage of the AFC South. They’re still getting bounced early in the playoffs. It’s just that now, the issues appear much more systemic and harder to fix than a missed containment assignment from a SLB.

The AFC South that had a team in the AFCCG

They got bounced by a better team with a better QB that won the SB.

I don't think I've been this "meh" about the NFL draft since 1997. I just can't get excited about this team anymore.
Bill O'Brien, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch and your arms be too short to scratch!
I've used 'May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your balls' for decades, but I can't for the life of me remember the origin... Perhaps you do?

Yea but those long, flowing blonde locks.....

Does this draft and our other offseason moves give this team an identity? Will the offense depend on WFV’s health? Has the bend and break defense improved? Has the coaching staff improved?

Idk...

Does this draft and our other offseason moves give this team an identity? Will the offense depend on WFV’s health? Has the bend and break defense improved? Has the coaching staff improved?

Idk...

With good overall health this yrs team should be deeper and better.

Idk...

No. If anything, I'm more confused about this team's identity than ever before. Are we gonna run the old "run 'n shoot"?

Not directed at you Doc, but when has he ever said any different? It's no secret, he doesn't like rookies.

This just gives him another excuse.

Exactly right TK. Because if they don't contribute or they underperform, he can tell everyone "I told you so". And if they do better than expected, he can portray himself as the genius that he thinks he is.

Exactly right TK. Because if they don't contribute or they underperform, he can tell everyone "I told you so". And if they do better than expected, he can portray himself as the genius that he thinks he is.

If they perform really well that should tell you he had a great draft, because the draft picks stayed in shape and retained the info that was sent to them to learn. That means he drafted guys that are dedicated to their craft and the Texans will be a better team because of this. If this actually happens (Doubtful) then BOB should take a bow.

OB definitely appears to be building a Coryell offense.
I'm glad someone else has recognized this. But we're in a wait and see mode to see if this is how Kelly will develope the play calling.

We have the outside speed to stretch the field and the slot receivers to take advantage of the middle field. We have TE's to work the seam and we have the RB's for an effective short game.

But we'll run the ball more than the Air Raid offense. We have all the pieces in place for old school Air Coryell.

Watson just needs to be Dan Fouts.

Here's a pretty good discussion comparing the old and the new:

If they perform really well that should tell you he had a great draft, because the draft picks stayed in shape and retained the info that was sent to them to learn. That means he drafted guys that are dedicated to their craft and the Texans will be a better team because of this. If this actually happens (Doubtful) then BOB should take a bow.

Drafts aren’t graded by the shape of the players. You know it’s 3-5 years. Stop. It’s been a built in excuse for years; he hates rookies others pick. What’s the excuse this year?

OB definitely appears to be building a Coryell offense.

he better be adding a ton more pre snap motion like RnS and Coryell offenses need to make the proper reads for the QB with so many pass options + requisite defenders on passing plays flying around. Having that speed is essential in the timing and seperation, but I'll have to see it to believe it. Im not sure the hands and the route runners are here to really call it a fundamental shift to this type of passing attack. I'd prefer if they are going on a shift to go ahead and take the Coryell one step forward and go WCO. It would fit the personnel better IMO.

An offseason program unlike any other they've done before, started Monday for the Houston Texans.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Texans are using apps like Zoom and Discord, and general manager/head coach Bill O'Brien and his assistants started working with the players.

While the coaches and players will begin learning together, strength and conditioning coach Mike Eubanks and Director of Team Wellness Ladd Harris have been in contact with the players and supporting them with conditioning and healthy eating.

The Texans will work in this virtual setting through May 15. The NFL hasn't announced when the players and coaches will be allowed back in team facilites.

Fair question to all: Did the Texans do enough this off-season and in the draft to truly compete with the likes of Baltimore and Kansas City? Both of those teams had huge seasons....the Ravens had the best record and the Chiefs got the Lombardi Trophy. They made solid off-season moves and then had really good drafts. Both of these teams are now the cream of the crop in the AFC.....possibly in the NFL. Will the Texans unseat either of them?

I'm glad someone else has recognized this. But we're in a wait and see mode to see if this is how Kelly will develope the play calling.

We have the outside speed to stretch the field and the slot receivers to take advantage of the middle field. We have TE's to work the seam and we have the RB's for an effective short game.

But we'll run the ball more than the Air Raid offense. We have all the pieces in place for old school Air Coryell.

Watson just needs to be Dan Fouts.

Here's a pretty good discussion comparing the old and the new:

DW4 needs to be Fouts. LMAO.

Fouts was one of the best at throwing with accuracy/anticipation.

Last edited:
Fair question to all: Did the Texans do enough this off-season and in the draft to truly compete with the likes of Baltimore and Kansas City? Both of those teams had huge seasons....the Ravens had the best record and the Chiefs got the Lombardi Trophy. They made solid off-season moves and then had really good drafts. Both of these teams are now the cream of the crop in the AFC.....possibly in the NFL. Will the Texans unseat either of them?

They did all they could with what they had to work with. I wish they would have added Suh this off-season. But other than that they added speed to the offense and revamped the front 7.

Problem is even after doing this the Chiefs/Ravens are still much better at the QB position.

I truly believe the answer to this question comes down to coaching, and not necessarily our roster. Play calling and how our players are used will determine a lot more than just who we have on our current roster, because personally, I think we have a lot more potential than we are being credited for.

I truly believe the answer to this question comes down to coaching, and not necessarily our roster. Play calling and how our players are used will determine a lot more than just who we have on our current roster, because personally, I think we have a lot more potential than we are being credited for.

I am in full agreement with this. I think Patrick and Deshaun are equal. They will trade wins/losses thru their career. However I believe Watson to be a superior QB to Jackson. It all comes down do coaching, scheme and creating a plan that fits our players strengths like the Chiefs and Ravens did.

Nope, and it's not even close IMO. Losing Nuk and Gipson hurt. Texans did nothing spectacular or jaw dropping in the draft. I don't think pieces like Cobb, Cook, Murray, and DJ make us any better. In fact, probably a little worse in overall talent. All that doesn't include the loss of draft capital. There is no way the Texans hang with the Ravens or Chiefs.

Last edited:
I am in full agreement with this. I think Patrick and Deshaun are equal. They will trade wins/losses thru their career. However I believe Watson to be a superior QB to Jackson. It all comes down do coaching, scheme and creating a plan that fits our players strengths like the Chiefs and Ravens did.
This could very well be true. Coaching and systems impact the team success a lot more than your roster. If Watson was on the Ravens this past year, I believe he definitely would have had just as much success, if not more than Jackson.

For me, it come down to a shoot-out between the Chiefs and Texans.....which falls squarely on the shoulders of game planning and calling the game. As for the Ravens, not a good match-up at all. Their offense can overpower the Texans defense and their defense can stop the Texans offense.

The Texans have hurt their running game b/c it's completely reliant on runners that haven't been a feature back in 3+ seasons. This could really handicap the offense if defenses have zero respect for their running game. If the Texans realize this and decide to go a little Run-N-Shoot, Air Coryell, Spread Offense, Up-Tempo, 2- Minute No Huddle Offense, etc.....then they may be able to hide the running game deficiencies by using the pass game to setup the run. Let's see if they have that much unpredictability in them.

Short answers are no they didn’t and no they won’t. To be fair though, you can probably count on one hand and not use all your fingers the teams who can answer yes to those questions.

If you can't see the difference between DW4 and Mahomes then I don't know what to tell you. The biggest difference is what we saw in that playoff game. Mahomes is a leader of men.

The Chiefs have a much more talented roster. 51-7

Likely not. But we have to win the South first.

If you can't see the difference between DW4 and Mahomes then I don't know what to tell you. The biggest difference is what we saw in that playoff game. Mahomes is a leader of men.

The Chiefs have a much more talented roster. 51-7

Although I agree with a majority of your posts, you and I see Watson much differently. I have read in countless places that one of DW4's biggest strengths is his leadership. Their style of play differs, but I think Watson can trade blows with Mahomes any day of the week. To me it all comes down to the players around them, and the coaches putting them in a position to succeed.

Back