Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

This Chad Hansen WR they brought onto the practice squad to replace Johnson doesn't seem like much. Anybody have anything good to say about him?

At least with Johnson we could say he was fast.

This Chad Hansen WR they brought onto the practice squad to replace Johnson doesn't seem like much. Anybody have anything good to say about him?

say what? I thought they just brought Tyron Johnson to the practice squad to replace Vyncint Smith

My SPECuLATION is that Tyron Johnson's inability to stay on even a practice squad has nothing to do with pure football skill and athletic ability. The bills are not that great at WR and he was also cut there.

Hansen is just familiar at this point.

The teams I listed and the 12-4 Kubiak team had nothing in common.

This is what you said, verbatim.

I've been telling y'all for yrs the Texans weren't as talented as many thought they were and lacked depth. Finally since BOB is unquestionably calling the shots the talent level and level of play has improved. Coincidence? Not a chance. 13-3 in the last 16 regular season games isn't a sign of a bad HC.

You said 13-3 isn't a sign of a bad HC. Which isn't, I agree with you. But at the same time, Kubiak went 12-4 for a season. So you must be willing to agree Kubiak wasn't a bad HC either.

So yo gonna gripe about it until we win a playoff game? I'm upset about it too. Nothing we can do about it. The powers that be have spoken & BO'b got a promotion. All we cn do is wait & see.
Probably.

To me it seems like 11 of those 13 wins turned out to not mean much in the big picture. We still looked like amateurs in the Colts game.

I guess I have to try to let all the disappointment from past years go. I still think it will take a convincing win in the playoffs to get the bad taste completely out of my mouth.

But, I will say I'm happier now than I was at this time last year.

Probably.

To me it seems like 11 of those 13 wins turned out to not mean much in the big picture. We still looked like amateurs in the Colts game.

I guess I have to try to let all the disappointment from past years go. I still think it will take a convincing win in the playoffs to get the bad taste completely out of my mouth.

But, I will say I'm happier now than I was at this time last year.

It comes down to talent and the Texans are more talented this yr than they've been since 2011.

My problem is we are 0-2 in our last 2 playoff games. In those 2 games we were outscored 55 to 23.

I thought we played relatively well against the Pats in NE, we had chances and just didn’t capitalize (the Fuller drop in the end zone being the biggest). I remember that game being closer then the score indicated. Plus being honest, the Pats rarely lose at home in the playoffs. You have to go back to 2012 to find a home home playoff loss

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm

For the game against the colts, that was a case of the colts playing perhaps their best games of the year and us playing our worst game of the year. In a three game sample size against the Colts, 2 games were extremely close, one ending in OT, the other coming down to the wire in the 4th quarter. You could make a case the playoff game was the outlier.

The Colts game was a terrible performance by our whole team, offense, defense and coaching. I think this year will be telling for OB, if we suck again in the POs, I’ll Be very down on OB (I’m on the fence about him currently- I see negatives and positives). I’m hopeful lessons were learned in our past failures and we’ll see a vast improvement in the playoffs. If not I’ll be hoping Cal sends OB packing

Last edited:
IDK......... but what I do know is............ barring injury the offense will get better with time.......... all we need is a defensive bump and we could probably make some real noise........... J Jo needs to be brought out to the pasture and put down.......... we need to move on while we still have time......... rather thats somebody on the practice squad or a trade.....if we can somehow manage a upgrade in the secondary..... watch out..... the Dline will get better as the year progresses as well......... the secondary wont get better or J Jo wont...... i sure wish we hadnt moved all our valuable assets and picks already.......... becuz I would sell the ranch to go get Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey .... thats a move that could possibly if made today take us over the top

Last edited:
Because he had the anvil that was RS for 5 years. I was on board with Smithiak until 2010 too.

This is also what you said, and I quote:

It comes down to talent and the Texans are more talented this yr than they've been since 2011.

2011 was a roster constructed by Rick Smith. So we went through letting RS go, firing Brian Gaine, giving GM responsibilities to BOB, so that he can finally bring the talent level back to where Rick had it in 2011?

2011 was a roster constructed by Rick Smith. So we went through letting RS go, firing Brian Gaine, giving GM responsibilities to BOB, so that he can finally bring the talent level back to where Rick had it in 2011?

Kubiak and RS were tied at the hip and the 2011 team wasn't good enough to win a SB. You know why the 2011 team was as good as it was? They signed JoJo/Manning to shore up the secondary and Wade recommended drafting Watt. You know why this yrs team has potential to be the best team the Texans have ever had? They made trades to get Watson protection/weapons and drafted OL to properly protect Watson.

This franchise fell on hard times because RS re-upped Schaub against Kubiak's wishes.

BOB/RS were never on the same page, they came from totally different systems. Under Kubiak/BOB the Texans were never going to win a thing with RS as GM. 12 yrs of results should tell you this, but obviously it wont. I'm just glad the Texans org has taken on a new aggressive attitude as opposed to what's been going on down on Kirby since their inception. Which obviously wasn't working.

Enough with the past and lets look to the future, which is very bright.

Kubiak and RS were tied at the hip and the 2011 team wasn't good enough to win a SB. You know why the 2011 team was as good as it was? They signed JoJo/Manning to shore up the secondary and Wade recommended drafting Watt. You know why this yrs team has potential to be the best team the Texans have ever had? They made trades to get Watson protection/weapons and drafted OL to properly protect Watson.

This franchise fell on hard times because RS re-upped Schaub against Kubiak's wishes.

BOB/RS were never on the same page, they came from totally different systems. Under Kubiak/BOB the Texans were never going to win a thing with RS as GM. 12 yrs of results should tell you this, but obviously it wont. I'm just glad the Texans org has taken on a new aggressive attitude as opposed to what's been going on down on Kirby since their inception. Which obviously wasn't working.

Enough with the past and lets look to the future, which is very bright.

Oh cool, we are back to "things are changing on Kirby" SteelB. Let's see how long this lasts this time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/daryl-morey-jeff-luhnow-houston-gm-conversation-11569446069

The Renegade Executives of Houston Who Shook Up Sports Management
A conversation with Daryl Morey and Jeff Luhnow about building the Rockets and Astros, their shared appetite for risk and the virtues of thinking differently

Why didn’t they invite Bill OBrien to the discussion?
tenor.gif

1-3 playoff record, one and done twice. You know, when it counts.

You know this is what happens when you dont have a franchise QB and a crappy OL with very little depth,

As opposed to having a franchise QB with a young improving OL and depth at the skill positions.

It's called roster building.

You know this is what happens when you dont have a franchise QB and a crappy OL with very little depth,

As opposed to having a franchise QB with a young improving OL and depth at the skill positions.

It's called roster building.

Not sure if you are saying we are doing a good job of roster building or that is what we need to do.

I agree Watson is definitely a franchise QB. I agree OL is improving but it would almost be impossible for them not to improve.
Except for Hopkins and Watson I feel the talent and depth is below average at the skill positions.
I agree roster building is the way to go but it seems the Texans are roster overpaying ( 2 firsts for Tunsil) and still doing a poor job at drafting. 3 TE's in last two drafts (2 thirds and a sixth) 3 offensive lineman last two drafts during the same period. Maybe someone needs to inform BOB that we use 5 OL at a time and maybe sometimes 2 TEs at a time.

Anybody think BOB just got smart or did he listen to his new play caller through his headphones. 2nd half last game looked better on offense. I am HOPING!!!

Not sure if you are saying we are doing a good job of roster building or that is what we need to do.

I agree Watson is definitely a franchise QB. I agree OL is improving but it would almost be impossible for them not to improve.
Except for Hopkins and Watson I feel the talent and depth is below average at the skill positions.
I agree roster building is the way to go but it seems the Texans are roster overpaying ( 2 firsts for Tunsil) and still doing a poor job at drafting. 3 TE's in last two drafts (2 thirds and a sixth) 3 offensive lineman last two drafts during the same period. Maybe someone needs to inform BOB that we use 5 OL at a time and maybe sometimes 2 TEs at a time.

Anybody think BOB just got smart or did he listen to his new play caller through his headphones. 2nd half last game looked better on offense. I am HOPING!!!

In regards to the TEs - another poster who I forget (edit: it was @frethack)- pointed out that the last couple years we have had to use TEs as extra offensive linemen to block. We got to see the TEs against San Diego. The line was doing better so we got to see them play as they are supposed to.

Maybe we see these TEs who were drafted actually get to pay off this year.

I disagree on over paying for Tunsil. He protects our most important player. That position is very important and we have a solid young player for years to come. This acquisition is paying off I think.

The line was affecting the entire offensive picture and it looks like it finally got solved based on the small sample size. It is going to have a ripple affect. I expect our offense to score a lot , Watson to be better protected, and Watson to be able to learn instead of getting hit.

This next draft is going to lean on the defensive side because I think there are more holes there.

Last edited:

Just want to throw into the conversation that the 2011/2012 squad was loaded with excellent starters, but the depth was terrible. Rick Smith was money in the 1st round, but putrid on days 2 and 3 of the draft.

I dont remember where the report came from (I think it may have been Fosters podcast), but Andre Johnson said that he wanted to be traded after 2011 because he thought the depth on the team was lacking compared to other playoff teams and starters were playing on special teams. So the roster construction was really not that great. We just had fantastic starters who had to stay healthy to make a run with only a few position groups that had enough depth to fill in for injury (RB, OL and maybe DL).

Im not arguing that it is that much different now...just adding context to our "loaded" roster in 2011.

In regards to the TEs - another poster who I forget - pointed out that the last couple years we have had to use TEs as extra offensive linemen to block. We got to see the TEs against San Diego. The line was doing better so we got to see them play as they are supposed to.

Maybe we see these TEs who were drafted actually get to pay off this year.

I disagree on over paying for Tunsil. He protects our most important player. That position is very important and we have a solid young player for years to come. This acquisition is paying off I think.

The line was affecting the entire offensive picture and it looks like it finally got solved based on the small sample size. It is going to have a ripple affect. I expect our offense to score a lot , Watson to be better protected, and Watson to be able to learn instead of getting hit.

This next draft is going to lean on the defensive side because I think there are more holes there.

Completely agree. I was one of the posters commenting on the tight ends not having to stay in to block. The Chargers have Bosa, Ingram and the talented rookie (whos name escapes me) and our OL was able to hold them to 2 sacks and I think 6 QB hits with tight ends out on routes much of the time. Thats not great, but its a marked improvement over 10 sacks in max protect. Tunsil and the rookies have done a good job so far, considering how terrible the OL has been.

Just want to throw into the conversation that the 2011/2012 squad was loaded with excellent starters, but the depth was terrible. Rick Smith was money in the 1st round, but putrid on days 2 and 3 of the draft.

I dont remember where the report came from (I think it may have been Fosters podcast), but Andre Johnson said that he wanted to be traded after 2011 because he thought the depth on the team was lacking compared to other playoff teams and starters were playing on special teams. So the roster construction was really not that great. We just had fantastic starters who had to stay healthy to make a run with only a few position groups that had enough depth to fill in for injury (RB, OL and maybe DL).

Im not arguing that it is that much different now...just adding context to our "loaded" roster in 2011.

Every team roster has holes. The depth on that 2011 team was ok. Take any playoff team, take away their 1st & 2nd string QB, their all-pro wide receiver, and their best pass-rusher... guess what, that team is going to struggle in playoffs.

Every team roster has holes. The depth on that 2011 team was ok. Take any playoff team, take away their 1st & 2nd string QB, their all-pro wide receiver, and their best pass-rusher... guess what, that team is going to struggle in playoffs.

What's your excuse for last year? We had Watson, Hopkins, and Watt playing in the Colts beatdown that we got. I mean...we had the better record, so we should've been a better team right? Can you honestly say you felt good going into that game? I can't, and if a lot of people are truly honest with themselves, they would say the same.

What's your excuse for last year? We had Watson, Hopkins, and Watt playing in the Colts beatdown that we got. I mean...we had the better record, so we should've been a better team right? Can you honestly say you felt good going into that game? I can't, and if a lot of people are truly honest with themselves, they would say the same.

I have no excuse for last year. That was embarrassing.

Every team has holes...agreed. Im not trying to say that the 2011 and 2012 teams werent our best...they clearly were. They just werent deep like most other contenders.

The article below has the Arian Foster podcast that I was referencing. Dont take my word for it...you can hear it straight from #80s mouth. He requested a trade after the 2012 season (not 2011, as I stated before) because he saw issues with depth. The rosters between 2011 and 2012 had a little turnover, but the depth issues were still the same.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/a...on-on-eye-opening-podcast-appearance-10381639

Every team has holes...agreed. Im not trying to say that the 2011 and 2012 teams werent our best...they clearly were. They just werent deep like most other contenders.

The article below has the Arian Foster podcast that I was referencing. Dont take my word for it...you can hear it straight from #80s mouth. He requested a trade after the 2012 season (not 2011, as I stated before) because he saw issues with depth. The rosters between 2011 and 2012 had a little turnover, but the depth issues were still the same.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/a...on-on-eye-opening-podcast-appearance-10381639

But in that same article, he said the 2011 team was good enough to win the Super Bowl?

But in that same article, he said the 2011 team was good enough to win the Super Bowl?
My argument isn't that the 2011 team wasnt good enough to win a superbowl if Schaub doesn't go down (and all other key starters stay healthy). My argument is that we lacked depth and weren't built for sustained success.

It's not the type of roster that I want to hold up as a model for year-after-year success. The top end talent was amazing, but we were too top heavy to have a true superbowl window.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My argument isn't that the 2011 team wasnt good enough to win a superbowl if Schaub doesn't go down (and all other key starters stay healthy). My argument is that we lacked depth and weren't built for sustained success.

It's not the type of roster that I want to hold up as a model for year-after-year success. The top end talent was amazing, but we were too top heavy to have a true superbowl window.

I understand your argument, and it's fair. I was simply stating there's a bit of contradiction in AJ's interview. He states 2011 was a team that could win a Super Bowl, but then after 2012, he claims he foresaw the team's demise. You also said, "The rosters between 2011 and 2012 had a little turnover, but the depth issues were still the same." It all just doesn't add up.

IMO, for year-after-year success, you need two things:
1. Elite QB
2. Very Good HC

That's it, everything else falls into place. You can create a balanced roster, with good depth, but that team won't last long because of the salary cap. Unless you got a sicko like Tom Brady, the GOAT QB that is willing to get paid 50% of his market value.

I understand your argument, and it's fair. I was simply stating there's a bit of contradiction in AJ's interview. He states 2011 was a team that could win a Super Bowl, but then after 2012, he claims he foresaw the team's demise. You also said, "The rosters between 2011 and 2012 had a little turnover, but the depth issues were still the same." It all just doesn't add up.

IMO, for year-after-year success, you need two things:
1. Elite QB
2. Very Good HC

That's it, everything else falls into place. You can create a balanced roster, with good depth, but that team won't last long because of the salary cap. Unless you got a sicko like Tom Brady, the GOAT QB that is willing to get paid 50% of his market value.
Completely agree. And now we finally have 1 of the 2 ingredients

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back