Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-in-on-nfls-first-60-sack-season-since-2006/

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is closing in on a statistical accomplishment he surely would rather avoid.

Watson has been sacked 56 times this season, putting him within one average game of a 60-sack season. That’s extremely rare in the NFL.

The last quarterback to get sacked 60 times in one season was Jon Kitna of the 2006 Lions, who was sacked 63 times that season. And Kitna took all those sacks while throwing 596 passes that year. Watson has thrown just 470 passes while getting sacked almost as many times.

To find a quarterback getting sacked more than Watson while throwing so few passes, we have to go all the way back to another Texans quarterback, David Carr, who was sacked 76 times while throwing 444 passes in 2002, then was sacked 68 times while throwing 423 passes in 2005. The Texans surely want to see Watson have more success as their franchise quarterback than Carr did, so it would be wise to fix the pass protection problems that seem to plague this franchise.

Not good.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien concurs with penalty on Jadeveon Clowney
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Dec. 24, 2018

Texans Pro Bowl outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney naturally disagreed sharply with a roughing the passer penalty he was assessed for his crushing hit to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles on Sunday.

The infraction left Foles banged-up and helped position the Eagles for a game-winning field goal.

After reviewing the penalty, coach Bill O'Brien concurred with the officials' call. The rule against lowering your helmet on a tackle is intended to promote safety.

"That crew is a good crew," O'Brien said. "They communicate well with the sideline. His head was down. What they're ultimately trying to remove from the game is the position – I guess what you would call the pronated position where the head is down. They're really doing that for the safety of, not only player who's being hit, but also the player that's doing the hitting.

"So, I understand that. We just have to continue to coach it better. We do, we show – if you asked the players, every Saturday morning we show them clips from around the league on different calls that are made, and a lot of them have to do with that type of play. His head was down and that's just the way it was."

Texans coach Bill O'Brien concurs with penalty on Jadeveon Clowney
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Dec. 24, 2018

Texans Pro Bowl outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney naturally disagreed sharply with a roughing the passer penalty he was assessed for his crushing hit to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles on Sunday.

The infraction left Foles banged-up and helped position the Eagles for a game-winning field goal.

After reviewing the penalty, coach Bill O'Brien concurred with the officials' call. The rule against lowering your helmet on a tackle is intended to promote safety.

"That crew is a good crew," O'Brien said. "They communicate well with the sideline. His head was down. What they're ultimately trying to remove from the game is the position – I guess what you would call the pronated position where the head is down. They're really doing that for the safety of, not only player who's being hit, but also the player that's doing the hitting.

"So, I understand that. We just have to continue to coach it better. We do, we show – if you asked the players, every Saturday morning we show them clips from around the league on different calls that are made, and a lot of them have to do with that type of play. His head was down and that's just the way it was."

The one thing that seems very unfair to me is that lowering the shoulder to make a good tackle can become a helmet hit with the moving of the target by a small amount.

DvMSNlRWsAEDyxI.jpg

defense is getting **** on right now (rightfully so) but you cant deny that they make plays when needed to. Even in the last game when down they were able to create stops and turnovers in the most necessary times. Pass defense is ridiculously bad right now though, huge concern.

Believe what you will. Some will always be resistant to believing that Watson maybe, just maybe, may not be making the right calls/protections to keep himself out of trouble.

And some will decide without knowing the calls.

PS, line calls were made by the C under Kubiak.

In any event, I took your post to be about the play itself. Every QB/C combo has freedom on protections after the play call.

I'm going to repeat this: untrained Watson = fastest release in the league, OB trained Watson = slowest.

Believe what you want. That last is an objective fact.

And some will decide without knowing the calls.

PS, line calls were made by the C under Kubiak.

In any event, I took your post to be about the play itself. Every QB/C combo has freedom on protections after the play call.

I'm going to repeat this: untrained Watson = fastest release in the league, OB trained Watson = slowest.

Believe what you want. That last is an objective fact.

NFL Next Generation Stats Deshaun Watson [TT=time to release]:

2018 TT=3.04

2017 TT=3.01

Watson doesn't appear to be anywhere close to having the fastest release, last year or this year. And there is apparently negligible time difference between last year and this year.

Well I guess that settles that.

Well they were throwing different stats up on screen last season, all way under 3. But hey, I don't know if they use 'next generation stats.'

Frankly your eyes should be screaming BS.

You're the game remaster. It was all over the commentary with graphics during games.

I know for fact that in the EP system the QB changes the OL calls

Was anyone debating that?

and has freedom to change playcalls.

And what that means is ridiculously vague.

Both Peyton Manning (largely viewed as having huge play calling freedom) & Kubiak ( for some reason as not giving it) described almost the same things. 1 primary called in with 2 alternates, 1 run & 1 pass, with trees of options off all 3. But of course, y'all know more.

Just want to interject that the Time to Release stat is heavily skewed by scrambling. Watson is the most pressured QB in the league and it's not even close. If you have to reset because the pocket instantly collapses then you're release time will be heavily impacted.

Statistically speaking, the time to release measure would be more informative if it were divided into scenarios...TTR from a clean pocket...TTR under pressure...rolling left...etc.

Just my $0.02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well they were throwing different stats up on screen last season, all way under 3. But hey, I don't know if they use 'next generation stats.'

Frankly your eyes should be screaming BS.

You're the game remaster. It was all over the commentary with graphics during games.

Was anyone debating that?

And what that means is ridiculously vague.

Both Peyton Manning (largely viewed as having huge play calling freedom) & Kubiak ( for some reason as not giving it) described almost the same things. 1 primary called in with 2 alternates, 1 run & 1 pass, with trees of options off all 3. But of course, y'all know more.

Do you understand the differences between the Brown/Walsh system and the EP system in how it relates to the OL/QB calls?

Do you understand the differences between the Brown/Walsh system and the EP system in how it relates to the OL/QB calls?

Yes as I've explicitly demonstrated. If you'd care to expound on some point I missed instead of just being annoying, I'm sure everyone else would appreciate it. Whoop my ass phuleeze.

We'd all be more educated by your expounding than your trolling.

I assumed that was rhetorical by tone & behavior.

Except at the end of the game.

On the cool I knew they weren't going to stop them on that last drive. Even though we had the pinned on the freaking goalline, third and ten. And I said watch them give up a got darn first down on either a completed pass or penalty. Go figure, it was both.

On the cool I knew they weren't going to stop them on that last drive. Even though we had the pinned on the freaking goalline, third and ten. And I said watch them give up a got darn first down on either a completed pass or penalty. Go figure, it was both.

So you're the jinx? :slapfight:

Except at the end of the game.

who knows, JDC flagged for roughing in the end zone tacks on 15 and changes the drive completely. I dont like to work under the 'coulda shoulda woulda' mindset, but that last drive should have been stopped early. REality was it didnt and the TExans lost. Considering the defense had already played an extra 7 minutes up to that point it was just too much to weather - down your all pro CB (KJAX) and a beat up JJO and RAC going full out ninja turtle to end the game was disheartening. Watt was getting owned by Lane and Brooks all game, just abused and grinded, RAC should have been dialing up some pressure with the blitz, he just plays that damn zone coverage so much its almost expected and easy to plan for if youre an opposing OC. If it wasnt for a 3 and out and then a fumble on the following series that both led to TDs then the TExans are embarrassed in PHilly and the conversation may be a little more malicious.

But you are right, they couldnt hold it at the end.

who knows, JDC flagged for roughing in the end zone tacks on 15 and changes the drive completely. I dont like to work under the 'coulda shoulda woulda' mindset, but that last drive should have been stopped early. REality was it didnt and the TExans lost. Considering the defense had already played an extra 7 minutes up to that point it was just too much to weather - down your all pro CB (KJAX) and a beat up JJO and RAC going full out ninja turtle to end the game was disheartening. Watt was getting owned by Lane and Brooks all game, just abused and grinded, RAC should have been dialing up some pressure with the blitz, he just plays that damn zone coverage so much its almost expected and easy to plan for if youre an opposing OC. If it wasnt for a 3 and out and then a fumble on the following series that both led to TDs then the TExans are embarrassed in PHilly and the conversation may be a little more malicious.

So basically in a nutshell, both of our coaches are too darn conservative.

Watt was getting owned by Lane and Brooks all game, just abused and grinded, RAC should have been dialing up some pressure with the blitz, ...

They were doubling Watt & Clowney routinely. How about throw Mercilus in at MLB to delayed blitz?

And for this TE problem, when you hit a good one like Ertz howabout a page from Kareem Jackson. Calvin Johnson was torching us. Kareen (2nd or 3rd year) went to the coaches and said "stick me on CJ, play whatever other coverage." CJ had 1 maybe 2 catches the rest of the game. Have Justin Reid just all up in there.

I thought they played (2nd half anyway) a lot more man than usual... routinely burned... as was any zone. RAC is over relying on the front 4 pass rush and it ain't getting there

They were doubling Watt & Clowney routinely. How about throw Mercilus in at MLB to delayed blitz?

And for this TE problem, when you hit a good one like Ertz howabout a page from Kareem Jackson. Calvin Johnson was torching us. Kareen (2nd or 3rd year) went to the coaches and said "stick me on CJ, play whatever other coverage." CJ had 1 maybe 2 catches the rest of the game. Have Justin Reid just all up in there.

It was disappointing in that Philly has an OL full of all pro type talent, having our DL stonewalled should have been expected and a proper contingency plan employed. Losing KJAX early in that game was tough to bounce back from. I was let down by Honey Badger not showing up and doing what you describe and manning up on Ertz himself. Reid didnt have the best game of his rookie year on Sunday, but it was better than the grocery baggers we had in the defensive backfield to end the game.

Yes as I've explicitly demonstrated. If you'd care to expound on some point I missed instead of just being annoying, I'm sure everyone else would appreciate it. Whoop my ass phuleeze.

We'd all be more educated by your expounding than your trolling.

I assumed that was rhetorical by tone & behavior.

Go look in the Watson thread a Pats fan posted the differences

Look it up for yourself.

Your obviously a Brown/Walsh fan.

I'm an EP guy.

Look at which style offense has won 13 out of the last 15 SB's.

So can't answer your own question. On par.

Quick glance, Philly, Broncos, Baltimore, Seattle in the last 6 (3 WCO, 1 Air Coryell) - you're wrong. Where the fu@k did you pull that from?

Watt specifically has been double-teamed less and less as the season has progressed. The OTs have all too often been able to run him outside the play and behind the QB.

That sure as hell wasn't true for the Eagles.

I've just gone through every defensive snap in the 1st half................out of 35 snaps for which Watt was in, he was double-teamed only 3 times. When I have some time, I'll be happy to run through the 2nd half..........but I don't expect it to be much different.

Watt specifically has been double-teamed less and less as the season has progressed. The OTs have all too often been able to run him outside the play and behind the QB.

I havent rewatched the game yet, I'll take your word for it .. guess it just felt like JJ was being ground up on that side, but as this would point out Lane Johnson was just playing lights out on that side of the ball. Overall however Watt does face plenty of quick chip and doubles maybe not as much as he used to. I think stamina is JJs biggest enemy nowadays. Still cant argue with what he's done so far this year.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1077278011752398849

I havent rewatched the game yet, I'll take your word for it .. guess it just felt like JJ was being ground up on that side, but as this would point out Lane Johnson was just playing lights out on that side of the ball. Overall however Watt does face plenty of quick chip and doubles maybe not as much as he used to. I think stamina is JJs biggest enemy nowadays. Still cant argue with what he's done so far this year.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1077278011752398849
Finished reviewing the 2nd half................In the 2nd half, Watt was in on 29 defensive snaps and was double-teams 2 times.

I've just gone through every defensive snap in the 1st half................out of 35 snaps for which Watt was in, he was double-teamed only 3 times. When I have some time, I'll be happy to run through the 2nd half..........but I don't expect it to be much different.
He's either hurt, he had someone on him that has his number, or he's just not the Watt of yore.
Might have to give him more time on the sidelines to keep him fresh.

Finished reviewing the 2nd half................In the 2nd half, Watt was in on 29 defensive snaps and was double-teams 2 times.

apart from the 5 double teams, did you see much chipping going on with RBs? I wouldnt think so since Philly has smallish runners, who for the most part were just running free most of the game anyway. I remember watching game reruns and noticing how badly JJ is prone to getting chipped off his feet by a RB.

I need to revise my numbers for Watt

1st half...............should have read 38 total defensive snaps............35 not double-teamed........3 double-teamed

2nd half..............should have read 31 total defensive snaps............29 not double-teamed........2 double-teamed

apart from the 5 double teams, did you see much chipping going on with RBs? I wouldnt think so since Philly has smallish runners, who for the most part were just running free most of the game anyway. I remember watching game reruns and noticing how badly JJ is prone to getting chipped off his feet by a RB.
I believe I counted only 1.

So can't answer your own question. On par.

Quick glance, Philly, Broncos, Baltimore, Seattle in the last 6 (3 WCO, 1 Air Coryell) - you're wrong. Where the fu@k did you pull that from?

Philly doesn't run the WCO. Does Kubiak's WCO look anything at all like Reid/Pederson's offenses? Go ahead and lie to yourself if you wish.
Balt LOL
Seattle -Yes
Broncos- Yes

BTW, did you know the Air Coryell offense is where the EP offense came from and Coryell learned it from the guy that helped set the table for the Luv Ya Blue era, HOF'er Sid Gillman.

Care to respond to Doc sense he put in the time to rewatch every defensive play. Or maybe you should do the same and report back to the MB what you discovered. That should make for some lively conversation.

Nope, we've been down this road and it's useless. Folks can't even agree on what double teamed means.

Nope, we've been down this road and it's useless. Folks can't even agree on what double teamed means.

Exactly what I thought.

I was just asking you to check it out and give me your opinion.

If you aren't willing to take a look then why comment at all?

Exactly what I thought.

I was just asking you to check it out and give me your opinion.

If you aren't willing to take a look then why comment at all?

I gave my opinion, JJ was doubled far more than 5 times. In fact, I'm confident more than 5 per quarter. I suspect there is a difference in definition going on. And I really don't feel like getting in a snit fight with Doc. Nor do O feel like rewatching that game. But glad you feel empowered to hand out homework.

Back