Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

A) The line does suck B) Watson does hold the ball too long C) Coach ain't helping with quick hitting routes D) Watson hates to throw the ball away E) Watson has trouble with post snap reads

the line is graded as average with Davenport being the lone 'below average' contributor they had a rough game BUT "All guys and coaches have rough games" LOL. They are failing your eye test, but when teams are sending 7 guys on blitz it just comes down to numbers. When the QB has to wait for 3 seconds before wideouts get into their breaks thats also an issue.

Reactions: JB
HOw often have we had a QB with 5 game winning drives? (5 to be exact LEADING the NFL) .. beating the blitz is more than just "oh crap here comes the blitz" .. DC's are sending DBs in at very creative angles because they have OBs passing game clocked. Where are the hot routes? Where are the Bear Beaters? The Amoeba Front audibles?

Obrien calls the play and the guys have to run that play best they can. I guess Watson should just tuck it and run, but then he'd get accused for running too much no?

It all ties together. Do we KNOW if Watson has been forbidden the audible? Do we KNOW that the receivers are making the correct reads themselves? OB ain't doing Watson many favors, I think we do KNOW that much, but it's all 53, not 2

the line is graded as average with Davenport being the lone 'below average' contributor they had a rough game BUT "All guys and coaches have rough games" LOL. They are failing your eye test, but when teams are sending 7 guys on blitz it just comes down to numbers. When the QB has to wait for 3 seconds before wideouts get into their breaks thats also an issue.

sure it is... see my post below yous... experience and knowledge as well as talent matters

The biggest issue beating the blitz right now is having WRs that are still trying to learn the playbook. How long have Carter/Thomas been here? A little over a month? If Coutee or Fuller were healthy we would be talking about how Watson does a great job beating the blitz like last season when he made an even worse line look above average.

We have rookie TEs that are blocking or trying to learn how to play TE in the NFL and two WRs aside from Hopkins that are still learning the playbook/developing chemistry with DW4. The sky is not falling everybody chill out!

It all ties together. Do we KNOW if Watson has been forbidden the audible? Do we KNOW that the receivers are making the correct reads themselves? OB ain't doing Watson many favors, I think we do KNOW that much, but it's all 53, not 2

absolutely not, but I cant remember too many times that Watson has looked at the defense and called time out either. Watson is going to think he can beat any defense at any time with whatever play is called thats the type of guy he his. Its up to the coach to reel him in some and teach him how to spot the tell, what to do in those situations. Its just odd that all of a sudden Watson is this 'cant beat the blitz' QB when he's been killing the blitz all last year and most of this year. DC's know which of the 3-4 wideouts is the insignificant route and are shooting that DB into the backfield. I havent watched enough tape to see whats giving it away, but you dont finish out your rookie year with a 135.8 passer rating against the blitz if you cant diagnose a blitz.

Lack of weapons hurts yes, but what hurts more is when the defense knows whats coming and calls the perfect play.

It's kind of hard to run those patterns when the TE's are having to block. BTW, have you noticed Watson is less efficient throwing in the middle of the field? Not saying he's terrible at it.

not accurate:

through week 10 (charts havent been updated yet) this is Deshaun Watsons QB grid.

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_WAT338355_2018-reg-all_1542235981470.jpeg

this is sundays pass chart:

pass-chart_WAT338355_2018-reg-14_1544394521958.jpeg

Short passing game needs to be more than bubble screens and stuff BEHIND the LOS ... How can Ryan Griffin lead the team in catching last week and then all of a sudden is 'never running routes because they need him to block'? OBrien preaches balance right? Riiiiight. He was sacked 5 times last game and 6 times this game where is the benefit in max protect? Maybe run the TE up the seam for 6 yards as a hot route/blitz beater?

edit: sorry some of the next gen stuff hasnt been updated.

his stupid scheme. Hopefully we see more quick passes

because they have OBs passing game clocked. Where are the hot routes?

Got to slow down the defenses with some screen passes. Get the RB's more involved in the passing game too. TE's, yes there are 3 of them on the team. I know, I know about the staying in to block and all that, but something has got to give. Use Carter more. It just feels like #4 is waiting all day to throw because the he waiting for the routes to develop. According to Uncle Rico's chart, not many of those routes were 20 yds plus downfield.
Jstu gotta have some plays where the defense has to check itself at the line for a bit before teeing off.

not accurate:

through week 10 (charts havent been updated yet) this is Deshaun Watsons QB grid.

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_WAT338355_2018-reg-all_1542235981470.jpeg

this is sundays pass chart:

pass-chart_WAT338355_2018-reg-14_1544394521958.jpeg

Short passing game needs to be more than bubble screens and stuff BEHIND the LOS ... How can Ryan Griffin lead the team in catching last week and then all of a sudden is 'never running routes because they need him to block'? OBrien preaches balance right? Riiiiight. He was sacked 5 times last game and 6 times this game where is the benefit in max protect? Maybe run the TE up the seam for 6 yards as a hot route/blitz beater?

edit: sorry some of the next gen stuff hasnt been updated.

That's how bad the ol is they struggle even usin max protection.

i was reading the comments section of an article on Jared Goff's issues these last games...evidently he doesn't call audibles?

seems like McVay talks into his helmet at the 15sec mark of the clock to set the audibles. Sounds crazy, but then i remembered Hard Knock Rams...Jared didn't know which direction the sun sets.

i was reading the comments section of an article on Jared Goff's issues these last games...evidently he doesn't call audibles?

seems like McVay talks into his helmet at the 15sec mark of the clock to set the audibles. Sounds crazy, but then i remembered Hard Knock Rams...Jared didn't know which direction the sun sets.

When things are going well the play caller is a guru. And when it’s not...

I remember how upset people were on here because Kubiak wouldn’t let Schaub audible.

When things are going well the play caller is a guru. And when it’s not...

I remember how upset people were on here because Kubiak wouldn’t let Schaub audible.

Not the same thing though.
IIRC, Schaub may not have been able to audible as QBs in other systems, but Kubiak had multiple options out of each formation. Schaub could audible into any of the options if he didn't like what the defense was doing.

Goff has to wait until 15secs left to get McVay's choice.

HOw often have we had a QB with 5 game winning drives? (5 to be exact LEADING the NFL) .. beating the blitz is more than just "oh crap here comes the blitz" .. DC's are sending DBs in at very creative angles because they have OBs passing game clocked. Where are the hot routes? Where are the Bear Beaters? The Amoeba Front audibles?

Obrien calls the play and the guys have to run that play best they can. I guess Watson should just tuck it and run, but then he'd get accused for running too much no?

Why won't Watson hard count. Is he being taught that beautiful art? If he learns how to master the art of the hard count. He will see these designed db blitz.

I’m sure he does, I couldn’t imagine in today’s nfl not.

I just would like to know if he’s maybe bad at it?

Or maybe the play design doesn’t give him enough options.

Just frustrated with our playbook sometimes.
It's obvious that we need a good running game, a good oline and a plan for hot reads.
If we don't have the personnel to do that, then do something about it.
It ain't rocket science.

Watson sets the protection at the line, Watson does audible. Now does he always make the right call? no, he is young and learning, defenses are disguising their looks he will get better at it. Is he limited to what he can audible to? Probably, I don't think at this point in his career he has a full grasp of the offense like a vet like Brady/Brees/Rodgers does. It will get better as it already has gotten better as the year has gone on.

That still shouldn't be a reason to not do it.

Practice makes perfect.

Teams are bringing these DBs on a blitz on a regular.

I agree we need to change the snap count, but it seems like every time we don't go on 1 someone jumps. But yea we need to find a way to change up the snap counts, use dummy counts, to identify the blitz, just like we need to use more motion to identify the coverage pre snap

Also if a corner is blitzing our receivers have to be aware, and settle in a hole to give DW4 a quick out. In the Colts game Nuk was lined up in the slot, his corner did a good job not telegraphing his blitz. Nuk instead of just settling down with no one within a 3 yard radius of him after his corner blitzed continued to run his 10+ yard route. Watson immediately saw the blitzing corner, and kept eyeing Nuk for the 1-2 seconds he had expecting him to look for the ball, but he never did.

Our team is very bad at identifying, and dealing with the blitz at pretty much every level on offense

Found this interesting as I looked through stats......................Watson has suffered 52 sacks............he actually has a sack race going with Dak Prescott, who has suffered the same fate 51 times.

Just frustrated with our playbook sometimes.

Man, who isn’t at this point?

I wonder if OB is trying to be a mastermind and not revealing his brilliant plays until the playoffs?

Even if that is a bad thing, it would show there is another angle for this offense.

The offense is just so frustrating. Lack of TD production, running for 1 yard or losing 3, no TE involvement, sacks, etc.

I am not the most brilliant football fan, but even I can tell this a vanilla 1960 NFL offense.

Edit: had to complete thought.

Found this interesting as I looked through stats......................Watson has suffered 52 sacks............he actually has a sack race going with Dak Prescott, who has suffered the same fate 51 times.
can you bring it into a more recent update say last 5-6 games as we all know Oline did take time to gel? Perhaps give info on which players were on the line not necessarily how many snaps or sacks but if Rankin gave up five hits replacing Kelemete that would give us more clarity.

Man, who isn’t at this point?

I wonder if OB is trying to be a mastermind and not revealing his brilliant plays until the playoffs?

Even if that is a bad thing, it would show there is another angle for this offense.

The offense is just so frustrating. Lack of TD production, running for 1 yard or losing 3, no TE involvement, sacks, etc.

I am not the most brilliant football fan, but even I can tell this a vanilla 1960 NFL offense.

Edit: had to complete thought.
Actually I heard this on radio before our 9th win IIRC. Person said it was smart to do enough to win the game but not have to show our "stuff" to next opponent. Ah, it's good to have stuff.

can you bring it into a more recent update say last 5-6 games as we all know Oline did take time to gel? Perhaps give info on which players were on the line not necessarily how many snaps or sacks but if Rankin gave up five hits replacing Kelemete that would give us more clarity.
Sorry, don't have that detailed stats.

Actually I heard this on radio before our 9th win IIRC. Person said it was smart to do enough to win the game but not have to show our "stuff" to next opponent. Ah, it's good to have stuff.

Well I hope they show that "stuff" because these last 2 games are basically their 1st round playoffs.

Back