Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Looking at the Texans remaining schedule, I don't see a single game that can be confidently penciled in as a win. Not even the Bills, Browns or Jets. I really hope the Texans game isn't the coming out party for Baker Mayfield. The Texans have a bad habit of making rookies and backup QBs look like GOATs.

Rico I'm only talking about Sunday's game. Yes we've seen Watson make all the throws. But on that day he was hesitant for some reason.
Yes and it's the reason for that hesitancy that worries me.
This coach ruins QBs over time and this QB has regressed. If that is rustyness and some hangover from his rehab then all's well and good and we can expect to see some improvement.

But if we are seeing his learned behaviours with ball in hand regress then we are truly F'd.

Yes and it's the reason for that hesitancy that worries me.
This coach ruins QBs over time and this QB has regressed. If that is rustyness and some hangover from his rehab then all's well and good and we can expect to see some improvement.

But if we are seeing his learned behaviours with ball in hand regress then we are truly F'd.
The thing that still sticks out in my mind was last year when O'B told Watson he called the wrong play against the Browns. Even though they scored a touchdown, OB was telling Watson how the play should have gone.

It's around the 1 minute mark. Seems the more O'B coaches the qbs the worse they get.

Rico I'm only talking about Sunday's game. Yes we've seen Watson make all the throws. But on that day he was hesitant for some reason.

He absolutely was. In my opinion;however; it wasnt because of a lingering injury. It wasnt because his collegiate competition was less stellar than the NFL (it isnt) It wasnt because he didnt have the intuition or experience to put the ball on a dime. Yes he has warts. I hated how passive he was, especially when he got out and ran. He wasnt playing ball anymore. He was listening to those voices that were saying "slide, protect yourself" .. "everyone thinks you're a running QB" .. "they say your arm isnt strong enough" .. "you cant work your progressions" all those criticisms I think he was trying to dispel in one game. He needs to RELAX. Play ball, dont try to be what everyone wants you to be .. be what you are. Be what brought you to this point.

So here is where I can go fanboy and say that he could have had a bit more help no? DHOP dropped one TD and then didnt even bother to compete for the INT. Offensive line woes? Sheesh. Still they were in the game. If Fairbairn hits the FG it would have been thanks to Watsons 17 yard 3rd down scramble. Need to make that FG. How about Coach Numnuts not abandon the run? How about the defense not give up the game winning drive after they had been so stout for 3 quarters?

Team game. I didnt like the snarky attitude Deshaun fired off when asked by reporters, need to understand your role and what comes with it. Deal with the losses with as much class as you deal with the wins.

Looking at the Texans remaining schedule, I don't see a single game that can be confidently penciled in as a win. Not even the Brown and Jets. I really hope the Texans game isn't the coming out party for Baker Mayfield. The Texans have a bad habit of making rookies and backup QBs look like GOATs.

Unfortunately I agree. Hopefully Bill O'Brien gets his act together. But as of right now I have zero confidence in his coaching and the team winning a game. Next week or two things could change.

He absolutely was. In my opinion;however; it wasnt because of a lingering injury. It wasnt because his collegiate competition was less stellar than the NFL (it isnt) It wasnt because he didnt have the intuition or experience to put the ball on a dime. Yes he has warts. I hated how passive he was, especially when he got out and ran. He wasnt playing ball anymore. He was listening to those voices that were saying "slide, protect yourself" .. "everyone thinks you're a running QB" .. "they say your arm isnt strong enough" .. "you cant work your progressions" all those criticisms I think he was trying to dispel in one game. He needs to RELAX. Play ball, dont try to be what everyone wants you to be .. be what you are. Be what brought you to this point.

So here is where I can go fanboy and say that he could have had a bit more help no? DHOP dropped one TD and then didnt even bother to compete for the INT. Offensive line woes? Sheesh. Still they were in the game. If Fairbairn hits the FG it would have been thanks to Watsons 17 yard 3rd down scramble. Need to make that FG. How about Coach Numnuts not abandon the run? How about the defense not give up the game winning drive after they had been so stout for 3 quarters?

Team game. I didnt like the snarky attitude Deshaun fired off when asked by reporters, need to understand your role and what comes with it. Deal with the losses with as much class as you deal with the wins.

Agreed 100% with all of this.

I will add if those voices wasn't in his head, I believe he could've rushed for 2 TDs. One in which he ran out of bounds at the 10 yard line. Last year that most definitely would've been a TD. He only had one defender to beat, the receiver was blocking the other. The other one , he had plenty of running room but he was trying to wait on a receiver to get open. That play he almost got his bell rocked because the DE was barreling down on him.

The thing that still sticks out in my mind was last year when O'B told Watson he called the wrong play against the Browns. Even though they scored a touchdown, OB was telling Watson how the play should have gone.

It's around the 1 minute mark. Seems the more O'B coaches the qbs the worse they get.

I think OB is in Watson’s head too much. Before learning the complicated offense that OB has been touting that no one grasps, make sure Watson knows the basics of being an NFL QB. Watson isn’t dumb, but at this point it’s clear to me at least he has too much going on in his head.

Santo I remember that bullcrap too. Again this just shows dude wants to control everything. Let the young man audible, it clearly worked on that play.

Dude that post game interview was crap. Sounded like his bullshit coach ain't my job rant. He just made the worst football mistake in his life by running off 18 seconds then wants to bring up his childhood.
My attitude has entirely changed with this kid. Hopefully he reels me back in

It's what's changed and what hasn't changed. Watson coming back from ACL surgery; Dante Foreman not being able to come back from Achilles; Watt coming back from multiple injuries and major knee surgery; Clowney coming back from multiple injuries and a "minor" surgery that wasn't minor, then suffering more injuries when back on the field; 4 significant hamstrings; Henderson IR'ed, JJo IR'ed, Andre Hal IR'ed for cancer: Mercilus coming back from pectoralis rupture; Martinas coming back from foot fracture and just being able to be removed from PUP in preseason; Mancz coming off a season mired by knee issues; Martin coming back from his 2nd high ankle sprain/fracture.........
I read that as we're expecting too much from this walking M*A*S*H unit.
If that's your message, I won't disagree. Perhaps it was foolish to expect stellar performances when nearly all the "stars" are still gimpy in one way or another.

Santo I remember that bullcrap too. Again this just shows dude wants to control everything. Let the young man audible, it clearly worked on that play.

Calling the right play vs calling the play the QB is most comfortable with can result in two different outcomes. I think Watson may be hung up on calling the right play vs calling what he is most comfortable with.

Like you said - as long as it keeps working it shouldn’t matter. Forcing him to do something else which is the case isn’t working.

Just heard some disturbing news from a good friend of mines. He said (a player he knows on the team) stated that Watson is not focused. Said Watson people around him are coming into question. Both Andre Johnson and Hopkins have sat him down and had a long talk with the youngster.

Obrien has to micromanage him. And that Cal is pissed off.

Just heard some disturbing news from a good friend of mines. He said (a player he knows on the team) stated that Watson is not focused. Said Watson people around him are coming into question. Both Andre Johnson and Hopkins have sat him down and had a long talk with the youngster.

My god this team just keeps on kicking you while your down doesn't it.

Almost sounds as bad as the Soap Opera that is Pittsburgh right now

I don't know if this is true or not, but I hated his demeanor after our last game. I am one of Watson's biggest fans, but his attitude after the game was not one of a leader.

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/reaction-deshaun-watson-2

So what changed from year 1 to year 2 for him? and whats Cal pissed about the fact that OB is micromanaging or that Watson doesn't care?

I guess the 'surprise' I would have is thinking Watson would have better sense or control of those around him. I never saw him as a prima donna. If true about Cal being pissed, that is a positive in my mind.

He's pissed at both but mainly Obrien in game coaching decisions.

Yea, and no disrespect to your friend but I am just having trouble believing what he is saying honestly. We have heard all off season players and coaches talking about how great Deshuan's work ethic is, JJ talked about it, Nuk talked about it and spoke about all they could accomplish, O'Brien has talked about it, right before the season Sean Ryan said he doesn't see Watson having a sophomore slump because of how hard of a worker he is. None of those guys are known to throw around accolades lightly. Also if the player told your friend that, chances are he has told others and other players on the team would be talking to people about it. With this day and age of rapid sharing of information there would be some rumblings about it somewhere. Idk just seems really out of character for him considering him as a person, and everything we know about him, but then again so did his last couple of pressers so what do i know?

Yea, and no disrespect to your friend but I am just having trouble believing what he is saying honestly. We have heard all off season players and coaches talking about how great Deshuan's work ethic is, JJ talked about it, Nuk talked about it and spoke about all they could accomplish, O'Brien has talked about it, right before the season Sean Ryan said he doesn't see Watson having a sophomore slump because of how hard of a worker he is. None of those guys are known to throw around accolades lightly. Also if the player told your friend that, chances are he has told others and other players on the team would be talking to people about it. With this day and age of rapid sharing of information there would be some rumblings about it somewhere. Idk just seems really out of character for him considering him as a person, and everything we know about him, but then again so did his last couple of pressers so what do i know?

Understood completely. But are we not seeing Watson's responses to any type of criticism no matter if it's from a reporter, or fan. I'm just saying something is going on. I hope not and if so both Andre and Hopkins have spoken to the young fella.

Stardom has away of pulling out the ugly in some people sometimes. Look at Antonio Brown skipping out on practice yesterday.

delete
edit to delete to post what I started to. Perhaps Watson affect and comments post game have to do with him getting first criticism of his play in college and after rookie NFL? This may be bitter medicine he has not had to swallow before. Throw in the vets talking with him and Cal McNair being upset along with comments from fans and talking heads on radio---

Understood completely. But are we not seeing Watson's responses to any type of criticism no matter if it's from a reporter, or fan. I'm just saying something is going on. I hope not and if so both Andre and Hopkins have spoken to the young fella.

Stardom has away of pulling out the ugly in some people sometimes. Look at Antonio Brown skipping out on practice yesterday.

But that's my thing with Watson, he wasn't some relatively unknown guy who splashed onto the scene. He was one of the biggest stars in college football for a couple of years. If he never stepped foot on an NFL field he would still be famous. It would be different if he was like Wentz, a relative no body to the majority of the world, then came on the scene and blew up. Then I could see saying fame is getting to him, but he has known fame for years now. I very well could be wrong, but right now I am chalking up his pressers as him just being frustrated. When you perform at a high level for a long time, and then come back and don't perform the same way it's frustrating.

delete
edit to delete to post what I started to. Perhaps Watson affect and comments post game have to do with him getting first criticism of his play in college and after rookie NFL? This may be bitter medicine he has not had to swallow before. Throw in the vets talking with him and Cal McNair being upset along with comments from fans and talking heads on radio---
You beat me to this..............especially, when coming off the ACL and realizing that it is indeed affecting his performance for now and is now realizing that his is not going to regain it "over night" in the NFL as he was able to do in college.

But that's my thing with Watson, he wasn't some relatively unknown guy who splashed onto the scene. He was one of the biggest stars in college football for a couple of years. If he never stepped foot on an NFL field he would still be famous. It would be different if he was like Wentz, a relative no body to the majority of the world, then came on the scene and blew up. Then I could see saying fame is getting to him, but he has known fame for years now. I very well could be wrong, but right now I am chalking up his pressers as him just being frustrated. When you perform at a high level for a long time, and then come back and don't perform the same way it's frustrating.
It wouldn't be so much the fame as the shock of for the first time not being able to perform on the level he is used to..............and it is a glaring contrast that everyone is focused on.

It wouldn't be so much the fame as the shock of for the first time not being able to perform on the level he is used to..............and it is a glaring contrast that everyone is focused on.

Yea thats what I was talking about in the last part of my post with him being frustrated. He had a slow start back from his last ACL recovery, but the rest of Clemson was so talented they were still steam rolling opponents, not like now where his slow start is effecting the team in a negative way.

Most definitely but this is still a totally different spotlight. The media all up in his face especially after a loss. Like Doc said, frustration setting in because the NFL speed is much faster and it's hard to bounce back from that type of injury when these big jokers coming at you at that pace. And defensive coordinator's final having film on you. Bill Belichick masterminded(game planned) the bleep out of Watson. Especially knowing our offensive line was very inexperienced. So our boy Watson hasn't faced this type of scrutiny/criticism.

But hey a winning streak would work everything out.

I think stepping off the ledge is in order for some of y'all. I'm not going so far as saying I'm changing my perception of Deshaun. He just passed for 300 and 2 TDs in a loss. Yea it sucks the way it went down, but who was the last 300 yard passer before Watson? After this season Deshaun should jump to 3rd most passing yards in team history.

Now with all that said .. if he's kicking it with the gangs and hip hoppers and having that kind of influence with drugs, alcohol and nightlife always around him then I want no part of it .. but Deshaun is a Christian kid, brought up well and has never shown that type of inclination prior to becoming a pro. Star struck kid getting wrapped up in his own fame and the contacts it creates maybe. To the point ownership is mad and team greats are having sit downs with him? Man I don't know. He had that play date with the porn star last year that both parties said was purely platonic, but what is being rumored seems more nefarious.

Winning cures everything. Football is the epitome of a team game so while QB is the most important position, Watson is giving us the best chance to win with what he has to work with. Coaching is lacking and so is the talent around him. He's not going to make every single play. Show me someone that does. He's human his huffy puffy attitude after the loss is that of a young person and actually let's me know he cares, but that he needs to learn and continue the process of becoming a pro. He's already done plenty of big hearted things for the community so I think it's too soon to question his integrity, but he wouldn't be the first good kid gone bad either. I'll hope for the best.

This is where I am for now
But why exactly has the offensive line been struggling so much in pass protection? In my opinion, it’s primarily due to a lack of experience. Yes, you could blame a lack of quality, and you would have a good point. This line is made up of inexperienced youngsters and misfits from other teams, as has been the case for a few years, but what I believe really hurts them as a unit is a lack of reps in this league as one unit.

Starting left tackle Martinas Rankin is still only a rookie, right tackle Julien Davenport is only in his second year, while both guards Zach Fulton and Senio Kelemente were free agent pickups this off-season.
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...m_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos3headline

Here is some more food for thought. Clowney isn't happy with Bill O'Brien and his coaching. He might not sign an extension.

It was said that Bill O'Brien has lost the locker room. A lot of players aren't happy with his coaching.

And the problem with Watson is the party life. He's out here partying like a hard rockstar. Better get away from James Harden.

I would think Clowney would focus on his DC rather than head coach. He plays well and he gets huge contract. I don't think O'Brien has lost locker room. I don't think Watson is caught up in party life since regular season began.

Somebody mentioned on the radio show today that all Deshaun Watson needs is to hang out with Mia Khalifa again. That would be a nice slump buster to get him back on track. Do you guys agree?

I think the Houston Chronicle should print a "RIP 2018 Houston Texans" tombstone on the front page this Sunday. Maybe that would be a good rallying cry for this talented team to start winning a lot of games and make a deep playoff run. Hey, it worked for the 2005 Astros. Started off with a dismal 15-30 record and catapulted all the way to the World Series.

Did they remove that video? I can't get it to play
It plays fine for me. Try another browser.

As an aside, on2 of my computers, the top task bar in the reply box is now gone for me.......and when I hit the "reply" button, it doesn't show quote in the reply box below. I wonder if something is going on with the site.

Reactions: JB
It plays fine for me. Try another browser.

As an aside, on2 of my computers, the top task bar in the reply box is now gone for me.......and when I hit the "reply" button, it doesn't show quote in the reply box below. I wonder if something is going on with the site.

Worked fine on both my work, and home PC

The Texans should've traded for Josh Gordon, whom I think is the best receiver in the game. He may not have the best hands, but no one can get separation like him. Look at the separation and how Weeden just drops the ball into Gordon's hands 60 yards away! The Texans need a playmaker like Gordon. I can't imagine how sick of a combo Brady-to-Gordon will be now!

I am on my phone. I will try later from laptop

Ok, got it to play on explorer. Something has changed, can no longer see video's from that site on chrome. Can play from other sites with no problem. Had no problems with that site until they redesigned

Did they remove that video? I can't get it to play
I just tried it and it worked for me and I'm using Google Chrome.

And I'm not hearing the "snark" that some have attributed to Watson. Frustration that they lost, yes. Snark...?? Nope. Folks only hear that if that's what theyre hoping for.

I can see Cal being pissed at OB over play calling. Who isn’t?

I can see Watson not being focused and prepared. He has admitted as much. He probably started believing his own hype being the “Michael Jordan of the NFL. “. Then not preparing like he should.

Or he is not used to putting in as much work. Similar to a college student who has to learn to study because high school came easy.

I think if he was partying too much TMZ would be all over that. We would hear some way. I don’t think that’s a problem.

I think AJ and Hopkins have given him advice, but counseling him like there is a problem may be a bit much too believe.

Is OB losing the locker room? Very possible.

But all of that is hearsay and unqualified opinions.

I believe in Watson and the rest of the Texans to turn it around in spite of OB. And I believe eventually either OB will pull his head out his ass or not finish the end of the year.

Maybe we can send another draft pick the to Browns to take OB off the payroll. Lol.

I can see Watson not being focused and prepared. He has admitted as much. He probably started believing his own hype being the “Michael Jordan of the NFL. “. Then not preparing like he should.

Or he is not used to putting in as much work. Similar to a college student who has to learn to study because high school came easy.

I think if he was partying too much TMZ would be all over that. We would hear some way. I don’t think that’s a problem.

I think AJ and Hopkins have given him advice, but counseling him like there is a problem may be a bit much too believe.

I believe in Watson and the rest of the Texans to turn it around in spite of OB. And I believe eventually either OB will pull his head out his ass or not finish the end of the year.

Maybe we can send another draft pick the to Browns to take OB off the payroll. Lol.
I get that Watson is not himself after the injury, but what gets me more is O'B's play calling on the last drive. I hate to say this, but why wasn't Blue and Miller running more in the drive where O'B called 2 WR screens?

Or the fact that he didn't let Fairburn kick the field goal? I get that he missed one earlier but he should have given him one more chance. If he misses you do what Minnesota did and fire him. lol

Last edited:
I get that Watson is not himself after the injury, but what gets me more O'B play calling on the last drive. I hate to say this, but why wasn't Blue and Miller running more in the drive where O'B called 2 WR screens?

Or the fact that he didn't let Fairburn kick the field goal? I get that he missed one earlier but he should have given him one more chance. If he misses you do what Minnesota did and fire him. lol

because just like with our fake "punt block" formation, OB has to always try to be the smartest guy on the field

Yesterday, the Texans worked out former Green Bay Packers CB Herb Waters, former Oakland Raiders practice squad WR Isaac Whitney, CB D.J. White, RB Matthew Dayes and Jeremy McNichols, and DE Anthony Lanier. .

Watson should sit down and watch the RG III movie!!!

Watson should sit down and watch the RG III movie!!!

Again we should probably take a step back, and wait to see how stuff plays out before jumping to conclusions about anything. The only "evidence" we have to back up any of this is a poster who says he knows someone who knows someone who is telling him all of this. We live in an age of rapid information sharing, we have leaks of dysfunction in the steelers lock room that is being reported by actual media personnel, we had leaks last year of there being a rift between Brady and BB that was reported by actual media personnel. When we had dysfunction here between HC and GM it was widely reported, so until there are credible sources reporting on something like this, or you see TMZ videos of Watson out at the club until 2 a.m. all of it is basically an internet rumor with nothing to back it up, besides Watson not playing as well as he did in a very small sample size last year.

I get that Watson is not himself after the injury, but what gets me more is O'B's play calling on the last drive. I hate to say this, but why wasn't Blue and Miller running more in the drive where O'B called 2 WR screens?

This past year, with OB finally having his QB, we can fairly say OB’s play calling is worse than ever suspected.

I think that is a major part of Watson’s under performance. Some from injury sure, but OB needs to let the kid play to strengths as he did last year and I don’t think we are seeing that.

Back