Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans picks all rounds 2022

Teams still remain in their basic formation more than 60% of the time which is still a lot of displacement for a 3 -4 OLB playing in a 4 - 3 D.
There was a link posted a little while back showing Jacksonville leading the league playing their base defense. Well below 60%

& they played Nickel more than 50% of the time.

Texans, with Lovie were 3rd, playing their base D less than 40% of the snaps. Nickel more than 50%

Nickel seems to be the league's base defense.

Kinda coming off like a Texans Worthy guy.

I actually dont have a problem with guys that have had issues in their personal lives. (Murders/Rapists ec..) For instance I would've signed Kareem Hunt. (He made a mistake and nothing like this has happened since) Pot smokers dont both me. They're non violent and it's their drug of choice.

What I do want from the guys that are drafted is that they put football 1st. The most important thing to them is being the best player they can be, not improving their brand.

There was a link posted a little while back showing Jacksonville leading the league playing their base defense. Well below 60%

& they played Nickel more than 50% of the time.

Texans, with Lovie were 3rd, playing their base D less than 40% of the snaps. Nickel more than 50%

Nickel seems to be the league's base defense.
Nickel means there are 5 DBs, Dime = more than 5. Doesn't change Lovie's basic 4 man front. Thibodeaux is basically a OLB that lines up mostly in a 7 or 9 technique, outside of the OT or TE. That's not Lovies system.

Thibodeaux didn't walk out. He stayed and watched his group workout. He hung out with Willie McGinest during the drills.

The media likes to create narratives and fans like to run with them. Some teams may not like Thibodeaux. Some teams probably do. But, they aren't taking their cues from the media. And don't forget the agent dynamic. Agents create rumors and feed the media. We've seen that plenty over the past year here in Houston. This has been going on for decades at the draft.

We'll know who likes who at the draft.
Exactly, but as usual those with certain agendas ( mainly trying to be right) will continually spin negative drivel. Thibodeaux will be a beast on the next level IMO.

I actually dont have a problem with guys that have had issues in their personal lives. (Murders/Rapists ec..) For instance I would've signed Kareem Hunt. (He made a mistake and nothing like this has happened since) Pot smokers dont both me. They're non violent and it's their drug of choice.

What I do want from the guys that are drafted is that they put football 1st. The most important thing to them is being the best player they can be, not improving their brand.
So we can still be friends?

Nickel means there are 5 DBs, Dime = more than 5. Doesn't change Lovie's basic 4 man front. Thibodeaux is basically a OLB that lines up mostly in a 7 or 9 technique, outside of the OT or TE. That's not Lovies system.
I'm well aware what Nickel is.

I'm not arguing your opinion of Thibodeaux or how he'll best realize his full potential in the NFL. I think he's a 3-4 OLB, & not a 4-3 DE.

The point of my post was the days of playing 60% out of base defense is long gone. This is a passing league.

I don't believe that most teams mostly play out of Nickel is a good argument against Thibodeaux playing in Lovie's defense, but I haven't a good argument against it.

Greenard on one side, Thibodeaux on the other, can you see double digit sacks from both?

Can you see them forcing a lot of 3rd & longs?

I'm not arguing your opinion of Thibodeaux or how he'll best realize his full potential in the NFL. I think he's a 3-4 OLB, & not a 4-3 DE.

The point of my post was the days of playing 60% out of base defense is long gone. This is a passing league.

I don't believe that most teams mostly play out of Nickel is a good argument against Thibodeaux playing in Lovie's defense, but I haven't a good argument against it.

Greenard on one side, Thibodeaux on the other, can you see double digit sacks from both?

I can see the same thing with Sam Williams in the 2nd rd.

Nope, I would be making a draft pick based on post #214:
Walker played against much tougher competition.

Walker lined up against best player each game ie. Evan Neal X2.

Walker dropped regularly into coverage.

Walker played in Georgia system that limited his ability to improvise.

Walker 2nd in sacks 6.0 vs 6.5

Walker #1 in QBH 32 vs 30.

LB and S are going to be the leaders in Tackles. LBs Dean and Smith 72 and 56 tackles. Walker 3rd , leading DL with 37.

Walker 4th in TFL 7.5, LB Dean leader with 10.5

Walker played on defense of All-Stars. They spread the wealth around.

Georgia is loaded with top recruits, rotated personnel regularly, more so than most. Reducing snap counts.

Walker was an integral key player with the #1 defense.

I would be very happy with Walker at #3. He's just scratching the surface of what he can be. Dudes one of the most physically gifted guys for his size that I've seen in all of my yrs of watching football.

I would be very happy with Walker at #3. He's just scratching the surface of what he can be. Dudes one of the most physically gifted guys for his size that I've seen in all of my yrs of watching football.
Maybe it’s just me but I hate going against D’s with those big badass guys in the middle of the DLine. They intimidate as much as Lovies beard will this year.

Link to full draft picks as of Feb 19.

Houston Texans 2022 NFL Draft Picks
  • Round 1 (Pick 3)
  • Round 2 (Pick 37)
  • Round 3 (Pick 68)
  • Round 3 (Pick 80 from Saints)
  • Round 4 (Pick 137 from Rams)
  • Round 6 (Pick 183)
  • Round 6 (Pick 205 from Packers)
  • Round 6 (Pick 207 from 49ers via Jets):
  • Round 7 (Pick 245 from Cowboys)
Additional Notes
  • The Texans traded CB Bradley Roby to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for a 2022 third-round pick and a conditional sixth-round selection in 2023.
  • The Texans traded their 2022 fourth-round pick to the Panthers in the trade that saw them select WR Nico Collins in the 2021 NFL Draft.
  • The Texans received a 2020 fourth-rounder and Brandin Cooks in a 2020 NFL Draft trade with the Los Angeles Rams.
  • The Texans traded their fifth-round pick to the Chicago Bears in the Anthony Miller trade.
  • The Texans acquired a sixth-round pick when they traded WR Randall Cobb to the Green Bay Packers.
  • The Texans received a sixth-round pick for LB Shaq Lawson from the New York Jets
  • The Texans traded the seventh-round pick they received for Anthony Miller to Green Bay for CB Ka’Dar Hollman.
  • Received from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for DT Eli Ankou.

Table inside Article
ROUNDOVERALL
1ST3RD
2ND37TH
3RD68TH
3RD80TH
4THTBD
6THTBD
6TH (SAN FRANCISCO VIA NYJ)TBD
6TH (GREEN BAY)TBD
7TH (DALLAS)TBD

I was just going over the official draft order on NFL.com, and they have the Texans keeping their 4th round pick (#108) and trading the Rams pick (#137) to Carolina. Which is nice.

Round 4

106) Jacksonville Jaguars
107) Cleveland Browns (from Detroit Lions)
108) Houston Texans
109) Seattle Seahawks (from New York Jets)
110) Baltimore Ravens (from New York Giants)
111) New York Jets (from Carolina Panthers)
112) New York Giants (from Chicago Bears)
113) Washington Commanders
114) Atlanta Falcons
115) Denver Broncos
116) Denver Broncos (from Seattle Seahawks)
117) New York Jets (from Minnesota Vikings)
118) Cleveland Browns
119) Baltimore Ravens
120) New Orleans Saints
121) Miami Dolphins
122) Indianapolis Colts
123) Los Angeles Chargers
124) Philadelphia Eagles
125) Miami Dolphins (from Pittsburgh Steelers)
126) Las Vegas Raiders
127) New England Patriots
128) Baltimore Ravens (from Arizona Cardinals)
129) Dallas Cowboys
130) Buffalo Bills
131) Tennessee Titans
132) Green Bay Packers
133) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
134) San Francisco 49ers
135) Kansas City Chiefs
136) Cincinnati Bengals
137) Carolina Panthers (from Los Angeles Rams through Houston Texans)

So they've got 5 picks within the 1st 108 picks and that's before Derrick's bounty of picks. This is going to setup nicely for adding some premium talent in this deep talented draft. You dont have to be a draftnik to know that you can never go wrong drafting Georgia guys.

Looks like the Texans will have pick 13. No word on whether that 3rd and pick swap (4 for 5) is this year yet.

Having the 13th pick is a prime spot to address OL. Opening up #3 to one of the defensive studs and/or trade down.

At pick 13 I am targeting Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Tyler Linderbaum or Trevor Penning. LG, C, or RT will be taken care of for years to come with one of these players.

This actually may be the more likely position for a trade given teams may want to pull the trigger on a QB here.

And here's the full detail on the MONSTER Houston/Cleveland trade ... Browns get: QB Deshaun Watson, 2024 fifth-round pick. Texans gets: 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, 2023 third-round pick, 2024 first-round pick, 2024 fourth-round pick.

3. Houston Texans (4-13)

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame (6-4, 220 pounds)

13. Houston Texans (from Cleveland Browns)

Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia (6-5, 272 pounds)

3. Houston Texans (4-13)

I’d really like to trade back a little and grab WR, Chris Olave (Ohio State) who could arrive as WR1 and be the guy who takes the tops off defenses. Having Olave will certainly make Collins, a possession receiver, far more effective for Mills.

I like Cooks in this mix, but in all honesty, they could probably move Cooks to Green Bay for a RD2 and RD5 since both picks would be deeper in each round. I could use a RD5 or RD6 pick on SWR, Danny Gray (SMU) who would also bring some serious wheels to the position.

3 receiver sets would feature (2) 4.3-40 guys and a solid possession receiver. Giving Mills these kind of weapons could certainly help with his growth and production.

Last edited:
I’d really like to trade back a little and grab WR, Chris Olave (Ohio State) who could arrive as WR1 and be the guy who takes the tops off defenses. Having Olave will certainly make Collins, a possession receiver, far more effective for Mills.

I like Cooks in this mix, but in all honesty, they could probably move Cooks to Green Bay for a RD2 and RD5 since both picks would be deeper in each round. I could use a RD5 or RD6 pick on SWR, Danny Gray (SMU) who would also bring some serious wheels to the position.

3 receiver sets would feature (2) 4.3-40 guys and a solid possession receiver. Giving Mills these kind of weapons could certainly help with his growth and production.
Where is Olave falling in the mocks?

Lately,, I've found myself favoring all offense in the first round. Green about mid-round, and a WR.

The trade down would get extra twos, one of which I'd use on another OG. If we could get two #2's trading down, I'd draft OC Dohnovan West with the second and draft defense with the #37.

In the 3rd round, with #68 I'd draft a RB. The rest of the picks I'd give to Lovie.

I'd like a TE, maybe late, but for this year I'm willing to roll with Pharaoh Brown. Gotta give Lovie something this year.

Next year is defense.

3. Houston Texans (4-13)

Those two have real possibilities.

Or you could keep Cooks and draft an ol/dl/CB with that pick and draft Gray in the 5-6th Rd. Cooks can certainly take the top off of a defense. I do like Gray though.

Thibs can play rde just as Simein did in tampa. Most modern de's are his size, very few are JJ size. In my opinion if he's playing RDE in a 4-3 and not standing and having to watch formations, he's going to be alot better. The team has to come to an agreement on whether Greenard is a better rde than what Thibs will be.

Or you could keep Cooks and draft an ol/dl/CB with that pick and draft Gray in the 5-6th Rd. Cooks can certainly take the top off of a defense. I do like Gray though.
Olave doesn't impress me. Maybe its the osu bias I have since none of those guys have lived up to their draft status since Chris Carter. With colleges throwing the ball 60 times a game, I believe they can find good wr's in the 3rd and 4th rd. I still think James Cook is the best skilled player I would draft with the 2nd rd pick

Olave doesn't impress me. Maybe its the osu bias I have since none of those guys have lived up to their draft status since Chris Carter. With colleges throwing the ball 60 times a game, I believe they can find good wr's in the 3rd and 4th rd. I still think James Cook is the best skilled player I would draft with the 2nd rd pick

Agreed, Although McLaurin is doing very well and he was drafted in the 3rd rd. I like Cook alot but I wouldn't draft a RB before pick #80 in this draft.

Agreed, Although McLaurin is doing very well and he was drafted in the 3rd rd. I like Cook alot but I wouldn't draft a RB before pick #80 in this draft.
Yeah, I wanted him to replace Fuller in that draft because by then it was clear Fuller couldn't stay healthy and the team had 1 weapon. The other guy went to the colts and he's done nothing. Galloway,Terry Glenn they had moments.David Boston was a steriod producer,but sucked once off.

We disagree on Cook. I would take him with the 2nd rd pick because he's that dynamic in the run game and pass game. He's a matchup problem and a td waiting to happen . You talk about adding weapons, well to me he's a nuclear weapon. He has low miles also. He can be a 1100 yd rusher 800yd reciever early.

Yeah, I wanted him to replace Fuller in that draft because by then it was clear Fuller couldn't stay healthy and the team had 1 weapon. The other guy went to the colts and he's done nothing. Galloway,Terry Glenn they had moments.David Boston was a steriod producer,but sucked once off.

We disagree on Cook. I would take him with the 2nd rd pick because he's that dynamic in the run game and pass game. He's a matchup problem and a td waiting to happen . You talk about adding weapons, well to me he's a nuclear weapon. He has low miles also. He can be a 1100 yd rusher 800yd reciever early.
Cook could go anywhere. CBS has him ranked at 186, 102 on PFFs bigboard and Drafttek at 54! He's not on si.com top 100.

Back