Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TEXANS KICKOFF 2020 SEASON AGAINST THE CHIEFS

I thought you wanted Obrien gone. And didn't someone call Watson stupid around this camp?

Both will do well this Thursday.

Let's go Texans

I do and dont think they will win a championship with BOB. Or DW4 for that matter regardless of who the HC is. But for the next 4 yrs we're stuck with what this team is/will be.

Expecting an AFCCG is unrealistic. IMHO
I'm not expecting an AFCCG. Just saying. if we're going to say BO'b has been our most successful coach, he's got to get past the divisional round.

He may be our most winningest regular season HC, but nobody cares about the regular season.

I'm not expecting an AFCCG. Just saying. if we're going to say BO'b has been our most successful coach, he's got to get past the divisional round.

He may be our most winningest regular season HC, but nobody cares about the regular season.
Quoted for truth

However I don't think there's much difference between them.

Between Kubiak & BO’b?

To this point they’ve both failed as Texans HC. Yeah not different enough where it counts.

Spot On

This has been my point all along and why I cant understand why certain posters pine for Kubiak to come back, like he's some kind of savior.

Do you think Conley will need more than the 21 days or will that be enough?
Read my post of Aug 8 in the Injury Thread. Something is not right with the entire story. All bets are off as far as trying to predict time of return. This time the Texans will be extra careful about bringing him back, in that if he fails to stay on the field next time, he will have lost his last chance to play out the season.

I don't like all the disrespect I just got finished reading on the Chiefs message board. I hope the Texans show up prepared to embarrass them.

I'm not going to go over there and check it out--I'm fine with my blood pressure right where it is--but they've earned the right to be a bit cocky.

Now. I wasn't a big fan of Chiefs fans even when they weren't any good and it's only gotten worse. But their team did win the Super Bowl. I mean, I'm sure we'd be all humble and crap if our team won the Super Bowl, but I won't hold them to that high a standard.

Just about 48 hours to kickoff and I’m just now starting to get a little fired up.

just read where Cooks didn’t practice because of a Quad injury. Typical for Texans WRs. But someone else has to step up and get it.
I think that most of all I will be watching the Oline. I think they will much better this year. I liked the Scharping pick and he’s done well so far. They have to give DW time and knock out some running lanes for the RBs. Would love to see a game plan that gets the backs one on one with the Chiefs LBs. I don’t think they are very good in space and that should be taken advantage of.
Pass rush needs to be inventive, gotta get some fresh stunts in the to get to Mahomes. Keep him in the pocket.
TOP will be the key, like it was in last years regular season game. Keep the ball and score TDs, not FGs.

I'm afraid this is going to be a blowout. The person that predicted KC 45 and HOU 28 (? I forget the exact total for the Texans) is going to be in the ballpark, I think. I have absolutely no faith in the Texans defense. I know there are some on this board that believe the Texans defense is going to be improved but I don't know why. It's almost exactly the same defense as the one that gave up a 51 burger to the even more explosive offense of the KC Chief's. I guess I'll end with the popular motif "I hope I'm wrong" but I haven't been hanging around this board for 16 years for shits and giggles. I'm a Texans fan and I always hope for a win.

Last edited:
I'm afraid this is going to be a blowout. The person that predicted KC 45 and HOU 28 (? I forget the exact total for the Texans) is going to be in the ballpark, I think. I have absolutely no faith in the Texans defense. I know there are some on this board that believe the Texans defense is going to be improved but I don't know why. It's almost exactly the same defense as the one that gave up a 51 burger to the even more explosive offense of the KC Chief's. I guess I'll end with the popular motif "I hope I'm wrong" but I haven't been hanging around this board for 16 years for shits and giggles. I'm a Texans fan and I always hope for a win.

A healthy Watt/Secondary/ Murray being able to cover the TE. Blacklocks is a stud

On offense DW4 is able to get the ball to his new deep threat WR's and the OL is now healthy and much improved.

Do I think these things will happen? Nope, what I hope happens Friday morning is BOB is on the phone with Earl Thomas agent.

McClain: It gets real for Texans’ new play-callers
John McClain Sep. 8, 2020

It’s not just the Texans’ new starters who’ll be under the national spotlight Thursday night at Kansas City, but they’ll also have new play-callers on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Not many playoff teams trying to win a fifth division title in six years enter a season with three new coordinators, but coach Bill O’Brien has enough confidence in Tim Kelly (offensive), Anthony Weaver (defensive) and Tracy Smith (special teams) to increase their responsibilities.

All three coaches have been on the staff, so it’s not like they were hired to install and teach new systems.

Kelly and Weaver are making calls for the first time. O’Brien turned over play-calling to Kelly after last season. He promoted Weaver, who calls the defenses in place of Romeo Crennel, who was named associate head coach. Smith replaced his mentor, Brad Seely, who retired during the offseason.

THE REST OF THE SEASON

I am painfully re-watching the playoff collapse. Man, we made so many blunders to end the first half. I forgot Watson marched the team down the field right before the half, setting up a FG that Fairbairn missed (would have been 28-27).

The defense could not stop anything in the second half and Watson started doing too much. It was a collapse all the way around.

I am painfully re-watching the playoff collapse. Man, we made so many blunders to end the first half. I forgot Watson marched the team down the field right before the half, setting up a FG that Fairbairn missed (would have been 28-27).

The defense could not stop anything in the second half and Watson started doing too much. It was a collapse all the way around.
Why? Why would you do that? You are a danger to yourself. We have a resident counciler on board to workout your masochist thoughts.

One main difference in the D.
The big guy Reader is replaced by a penetrating NT/DT #90 Ross Blacklock. He's a rookie and a bit small at 290.
I'm thinking we may see more of #97 Angelo Blackson at the nose on running down with #90 at 3-Tech.
#90 could slide inside on passing downs, but that's just my guess.
We'll see how they use him.

The offense will be very different though, with 3 more speedy/quick guys: David Johnson at RB, Randall Cobb in the slot and Brandin Cooks on the outside (besides Fuller and Still).

I see more passes with receiver crossing the middle and fewer fade routes.
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of chemistry players were able to acquire with just TC to really work on it and even more interesting to see how teams will play each other with zero preseason film to go off of, especially considering the considerable offensive overhaul the Texans underwent.

To one of your points, seeing how well DW4 handles not having his favorite security blanket will be very interesting. I wonder how long it will take for the offense to overcome the lack of an offseason and really start to click. I can easily see DW4 holding the ball too long due to not seeing the open receiver quickly enough. He's not used to having so many mismatches in the speed/quickness dept.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of chemistry players were able to acquire with just TC to really work on it and even more interesting to see how teams will play each other with zero preseason film to go off of, especially considering the considerable offensive overhaul the Texans underwent.

To one of your points, seeing how well DW4 handles not having his favorite security blanket will be very interesting. I wonder how long it will take for the offense to overcome the lack of an offseason and really start to click. I can easily see DW4 holding the ball too long due to not seeing the open receiver quickly enough. He's not used to having so many mismatches in the speed/quickness dept.
I predict that tight end Akins will be his new security blanket.

...I have absolutely no faith in the Texans defense. I know there are some on this board that believe the Texans defense is going to be improved but I don't know why. It's almost exactly the same defense as the one that gave up a 51 burger to the even more explosive offense of the KC Chief's...
I disagree this year's defense is "almost exactly the same".

Watt came back early at the end of last season and was not the same player he was at the beginning of the season. Tomorrow, Watt will be in as good of shape as he will be. When Watt went out last season, Mercilus' production also declined. Last year Omenihu had 3 sacks and 7 hurries, playing only 41% of the snaps; expect improvement this year. Martin is coming into this season bigger and stronger, with no loss of speed. Last year he had 3 1/2 sacks and 3 hurries, playing only 21% of the snaps.

Watt, Martin, Mercilus, Omenihu and Blacklock will provide more pressure on the QB. This lineup is one reason why I anticipate an improved defense.

Last edited:

That's really been the story with this team, especially in the divisional round. When it gets rolling, like a snowball, it gained momentum & gets away from us.

We've had one decent showing in the Divisional round.

I like the Watson/Mahomes thing. But Fuller/Hill, it's not even close. Kelce/Warring??? Who knows. & we've seen nothing, nothing to make us believe we know how to use a RB to gain favorable match ups.

Chiefs vs
. Texans spread: Kansas City -9. Chiefs vs. Texans over-under: 54.5 points. Chiefs vs. Texans money line: Kansas City -450, Houston +350.

Who's taking the 9? Who's taking the Texans to win outright?

teachers are at school and in fairness to them, we as parents were given the option to either send our children to the school and risk them contracting COVID, or keep them home and do the Zoom thing. My ex-wife basically made the decision for me and so I’m stuck with the decision she made.

You aint the Lone Ranger .... I'm doing the same thing with two teenagers , tho it was my decision to keep them home.
Sending them to school just seems silly to me when in terms of this virus , for every person you come in contact with , you have essentially come into contact with every person they have for the last 10 days or more. Its exponential .... Not a risk I think is worth taking.

Hurry up with the vaccine already.

I disagree this year's defense is "almost exactly the same".

Watt came back early at the end of last season and was not the same player he was at the beginning of the season. Tomorrow, Watt will be in as good of shape as he will be. When Watt went out last season, Mercilus' production also declined. Last year Omenihu had 3 sacks and 7 hurries, playing only 41% of the snaps; expect improvement this year. Martin is coming into this season bigger and stronger, with no loss of speed. Last year he had 3 1/2 sacks and 3 hurries, playing only 21% of the snaps.

Watt, Martin, Mercilus, Omenihu and Blacklock will provide more pressure on the QB. This lineup is one reason why I anticipate an improved defense.

Could go either way to me. Depends on Weaver and injuries. I expect with no preseason the tackling tonight will be absolutely wretched.

This sould be a marquee matchup worthy of being the league’s season-opener, but the Texans seem determined to self-sabotage whenever possible. In a baffling trade this off-season, Houston traded away the franchise icon DeAndre Hopkins in exchange for draft picks and a running back (David Johnson) who turns 29 in December and last rushed for 1,000 yards in 2016.
Few quarterbacks have stronger ability than Houston quarterback Deshaun Watson, but one of them is his counterpart on Thursday: Patrick Mahomes of the Chiefs, whose supporting cast is far superior to the Texans'. Watson is good enough to raise eyebrows at a 9-point spread, but expecting a Houston upset would be unwise. Pick: Texans +9
So says the Yankee paper up north and I agree with their take but we shall soon find out.

Could go either way to me. Depends on Weaver and injuries. I expect with no preseason the tackling tonight will be absolutely wretched.
Like I said in a previous post, I like the makeup of this team, both offensively and defensively; and as others have put it - on paper. And I agree, much depends on injury, particularly Watt. He makes everyone on the defensive rush better. His health is crucial, allowing him to play to a level that the opposing team must account for.

I don't have the concern for Kelly and Weaver that many do. The way this team is made up, the players just need to execute and take care of business. The wins will come. The makeup of this team pretty much dictates the scheming and, being a veteran team, the players know they need to step it up. I haven't read it said, except from Watt, but I have the feeling this team has moved on from the playoff debacle and is focused on the job to be done this year.

Offensively, it all comes down to Watson. Last year he relied too much on Hopkins. This year, it is essential he plays to another level, reads the field and utilizes all his weapons.

I disagree with those who disparage the moves made by OB this offseason. He has assembled a veteran team which has won the division title four out of the last five years. The moves he has made have tweaked and improved, and younger, recent draft picks and moves, on both sides of the ball, are now ready to start making the difference. You cannot evaluate this year's team based on last year's. True, they now have to take it from paper to the field, but this is the year that it is all beginning to come together.

The Chief's are the reining Super Bowl champs. They are definitely the team to beat and tonight will be tough. We don't have to win; we do have to play well. I expect the Texans to meet them again in the post season.

Texans well aware of threat Chiefs' Clyde Edwards-Helaire poses
Aaron Wilson Sep. 8, 2020 Updated: Sep. 8, 2020 5:24 p.m.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is extremely difficult to find with his diminutive stature.

The Chiefs' versatile rookie running back is also hard to tackle, hard to chase down and one of the most challenging assignments for linebackers to deal with in pass coverage.

Without playing in an NFL game because of the cancellation of the preseason games due to the coronavirus pandemic, Edwards-Helaire is already regarded as a dangerous threat by NFL defenses.

Heading into Thursday's season opener at Arrowhead Stadium, the Texans had to go back and study college game tape of the 5-7, 207-pound first-round draft pick from LSU. Edwards-Helaire rushed for 1,414 yards and 16 touchdowns last season and caught 55 passes for 453 yards and one score before declaring early for the draft.

THE REST OF THE STORY

**********************************************************************************

Certainly someone our run D will need to watch out for...........BUT...........LSU was then, Clyde..........you're starting all over again in the NFL now.:texflag:

You aint the Lone Ranger .... I'm doing the same thing with two teenagers , tho it was my decision to keep them home.
Sending them to school just seems silly to me when in terms of this virus , for every person you come in contact with , you have essentially come into contact with every person they have for the last 10 days or more. Its exponential .... Not a risk I think is worth taking.

Hurry up with the vaccine already.
You're scared of a virus with a 99.6% survival rate? :smiliepalm:

An interesting article I pulled out of archives on David Johnson.

David Johnson would 'love' to run more from shotgun
Published: Apr 11, 2019 at 01:30 AM
Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

The prevailing notion among the football cognoscenti states that an NFL running game will struggle if used primarily from the shotgun.

Running backs don't get the same downhill momentum when a handoff comes out of shotgun, which can curtail some of the production. The increase in shotgun usage has coincided with a league that prefers the pass to the run.

The predominant belief is that if shotgun helps the quarterback more, then overall it's beneficial. Some running backs, however, struggle from that formation. It's one reason a future Hall of Famer like Adrian Peterson found it hard to land a home last season. All Day runs much better when the QB is under center than when he's given the ball in shotgun.

Kliff Kingsbury's offense in college relied on shotgun to an extreme. The new Arizona Cardinals coach won't let on if that ratio will remain in the NFL, but it's clear he loves the shotgun like a kid loves cake.
How does former Pro Bowl running back David Johnson feel about most of his runs coming from shotgun?
"I actually love that," Johnson said, via the team's official website. "I did that in college. That's all we did in college is the gun, a read-option-type thing. I think it really opens up more space for me and makes me able to read the defense a little bit more."

It's comforting to hear Johnson likes the idea of running more shotgun.

Last season, the Cardinals ran 54 percent of their plays from shotgun, per Warren Sharp, tied for seventh fewest. They ran out of the formation on 18 percent of plays, 23rd in the NFL. During Johnson's best season in 2016, the Cards played even less out of shotgun (47 percent) and ran out of that formation a league-low 10 percent.

THE REST OF THE STORY

So far, Watson hasn't seemed to settle in comfortably under center. It is to seen if he has been able to change his comfort level. The shotgun may be advantageous to our RBs momentum, but under center may be more advantageous to Watson's development/maturation as a QB.

So far, Watson hasn't seemed to settle in comfortably under center. It is to seen if he has been able to change his comfort level. The shotgun may be advantageous to our RBs momentum, but under center may be more advantageous to Watson's development/maturation as a QB.
Most teams prefer to play out of the shotgun/pistol. The only holdouts are WCO teams that have the run game predicated on the QB under center. The Chiefs play in the shotgun as much as the Texans. The Ravens and Cards only go under center in short yardage situations. Playing under center is going the way of the dodo bird.

Most teams prefer to play out of the shotgun/pistol. The only holdouts are WCO teams that have the run game predicated on the QB under center. The Chiefs play in the shotgun as much as the Texans. The Ravens and Cards only go under center in short yardage situations. Playing under center is going the way of the dodo bird.

You need to be able to do both.

Situational football

I didn't know the Pats/Tampa/ Saints were wco's?

Back