Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

I have always liked Chris Brown. When healthy, he is usually productive and can break off the long one at any time. Hopefully, he can stay healthy in Houston.

We did get him on the cheap, that's for sure. As long as he's thought of as backup and debth for the RB position, and we are still going after our franchise back in the draft and NOT expecting our franchise back to be ANYONE currently with a contract, I guess I'm OK with it. Lots of ifs there, but that's how I feel about it.

I don't see where any one of the backs we have under contract right now should be considered our future. Not a single one of them. Not even Dayne, whom I'm going to miss quite frankly.

It's @ redund@nt pick. Morency with more injuries due to his very upright running style. So now we seem to be collecting them ? there is no purpose to this st@ffs collection of t@llent...they continue to me@nder into helter skelter. The hump ye@r....will there be ye@r six ?

The "boys" first boo-boo.

Ronnie just got the c@ll from the turk.

Looks more @nd more like there will not be @ Rb with the first three picks...something I predicted three months @go btw... s@y hello to Corey Boyd or someone simul@r. . if @t @ll.

It's @ redund@nt pick. Morency with more injuries due to his very upright running style. So now we seem to be collecting them ? there is no purpose to this st@ffs collection of t@llent...they continue to me@nder into helter skelter. The hump ye@r....will there be ye@r six ?

Looks more @nd more like there will not be @ Rb with the first three picks...something I predicted three months @go btw... s@y hello to Corey Boyd or someone simul@r. . if @t @ll.

Is there something wrong with your 'A' button? :thinking:

Eric Dickerson and Roger Craig both had upright running styles. They were pretty ok.

This doesn't bother me, but I was hoping to get a back by round 4, but that may not happen.

I think a more important signing would be the center from Denver. A starter who knows the offense, that would be nice.

Oh and the A key is on the left of the keyboard and does not require 'shift' to be used in conjunction with it. Therefore the A key might be a better choice in the future. It could save you from carpel tunnel syndrome.

:gun:

IIRC, Eddie George ran kind of upright, didn't he? He was a big dude though. I met him a looong time ago and the dude's built like a brick shithouse. :elle:

IIRC, Eddie George ran kind of upright, didn't he? He was a big dude though. I met him a looong time ago and the dude's built like a brick shithouse. :elle:

Eddie George eventually broke down, but he had some very good years. Brown doesn't have nearly as many miles on his tires.

I see Brown more as a 2 x 4 with a quarter moon on the door shithouse.

:cowboy1:

I am for the signing. Mark my words if (if being the big word with Chris Brown) he is healthy through camp and for as long as he stays healthy, he will be the starter for our team.

If he is not we paid chicken feed for him so who cares.

I'm not completely sold on Brown, but I think he can add good depth for us and he can hit the hole a lot quicker than Ron can. Having said that, I doubt than Ron will comeback and thank him for helping us out for the past two years. Like him or hate him, he was probably the most consistent back we had during his tenure. I wonder if we could have waited a little bit more and given Kevin Jones a shot, but I guess Detroit released him too late.

I remember Brown from Colorado and he still runs the same way in the NFL, which leaves him susceptible to big hits and injuries. He always ran hard, but with him and Ahman as our two main backs I'm thinking that Darius and Chris Taylor will have make some massive strides and pick up the slack when/if one of these guys goes down again.

Finally, I severely doubt we are going to draft a RB with our first pick, so now it's down to either CB, OT, OLB.

Eddie George eventually broke down, but he had some very good years. Brown doesn't have nearly as many miles on his tires.

Eddie George was also consistantly one of the backs with top # of rush Attempts per year. It caught up with him.

You gotta' be kidding me.

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight :wild: anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

LOL. I hate this team. We are so retarded when it comes to running backs.
I think its a good move, what?:bat:

GP, I think you should step back for a few days, stretch the legs a bit. I am sure if you talk to Herv he can recommend a good place to chill for a while. You are starting to sound an awful lot like our resident troll Nighthawk, or worse, the infamous BoBo.

You are blasting everything the Texans do. If Rick Smith stopped to pick up a quarter you would probably start an entire thread about how Rick Smith is waisting time and thats why this team never signs any good players.

Chill, its only the offseason.

In Houston's situation I see this as a good signing. You guys lack a true #1 back but the combination you have should suffice. Brown's biggest obstacle is obviously his health. Even as a part-time guy for us last year he got hurt and missed some practices. He does have speed and is a lot more elusive then he seems. He hits the hole quckly and has pretty good vision. He is best used as a receiver out of the backfield as he has a knack for making the first man miss. He's good on screens and the like. It will be interesting to see him in the zone-blocking scheme.

FYI, he did get a chance to start... it was the year after we let Eddie walk, which was made easier by the promise Brown showed the year before and in the playoffs, but he got hurt and never really amounted to anything.

Just saw this after getting back from vacation. I think it is a good pickup. We could use a running back and he can use a new situation. He was a mean runner in college. He was a good back in the first couple of years of his pro career but injuries caught him. Wasn't he the guy Simmons laid out? Dislocated his shoulder I think.

Rick Smith is smart to take a chance on Brown, maybe he has a good year with the opportunities he will get with the Texans.

It's not often you get to mix in football and Hanson in the same post. Bravo, sir.

Forgive my writing but working 15 hour days is kicking my ass. Work at normal job real slow so I have been working SXSW and doing Personal Assistance work with a production company and one of the bands we had was Hanson. the funny thing is that there were as many 20 year girls as there were 40 + year old ladies. It was funny seeing that.

I love that the board will allow a word like ******house (those are my asterisks; not a prude, i just recognize that some kids read this), but type in the word ***** (that's I D -- I -- O-- T) and the asterisk police blot it out.

:photos: :)

i've either ignored or skimmed most of the posts so forgive me if i missed something relevent, but dang yall are worked up over a backup working a near minimum salary. this has been a less than eventful offseason obviously but put that effort into our biggest free agent, coach gibbs, and what he can do with the current roster and what it's going to do to impact our scheme and draft and future season.

chris brown is a solid player who's injury prone. when healthy he's been successful and coming from a division rival who we play twice a season is worth signing. brown fits what kubiak/gibbs/shanahan are building and at very least can compete in camp for a starter or backup role. he has zero bearing on the draft or other potential free agent signings. what brown is, is exactly how rick smith has been so successful thus far. low risk, high reward ... talents fit the the system ... costs next to nothing relatively ... and if nothing else boosts the talent level of the overall 53. since it's the current flavor it's comparative to the current rockets' success - TEAM talent instead of individual talent. with brown our group talent is higher.

kubiak and smith have done a great job of building this team in two ways ... schaub is one direction and brown is the other. in schaub the office researched their hearts out and threw the bank at one player. brown is at the other end of the spectrum and why we've gone from a 2-14 team to an 8-8 team under a rookie coach and office ... sign 300 players for pennies who fit the system and let the best man win. we've missed twice so far on big spending (weaver/green) simply because we were so far behind that reaches needed to be made, but these nickel potential signings are paying huge (walter, demps, kalu, leach, killings, andre davis, cochran, and many more).

brown's a nickel signing that cant hurt us, but is capable of helping us in a big way.

hell if nothing else ... if brown, green, and taylor can each play 5 or more games before their inevitable injury, we're in good shape. :doot:

i've either ignored or skimmed most of the posts so forgive me if i missed something relevent, but dang yall are worked up over a backup working a near minimum salary. this has been a less than eventful offseason obviously but put that effort into our biggest free agent, coach gibbs, and what he can do with the current roster and what it's going to do to impact our scheme and draft and future season.

chris brown is a solid player who's injury prone. when healthy he's been successful and coming from a division rival who we play twice a season is worth signing. brown fits what kubiak/gibbs/shanahan are building and at very least can compete in camp for a starter or backup role. he has zero bearing on the draft or other potential free agent signings. what brown is, is exactly how rick smith has been so successful thus far. low risk, high reward ... talents fit the the system ... costs next to nothing relatively ... and if nothing else boosts the talent level of the overall 53. since it's the current flavor it's comparative to the current rockets' success - TEAM talent instead of individual talent. with brown our group talent is higher.

kubiak and smith have done a great job of building this team in two ways ... schaub is one direction and brown is the other. in schaub the office researched their hearts out and threw the bank at one player. brown is at the other end of the spectrum and why we've gone from a 2-14 team to an 8-8 team under a rookie coach and office ... sign 300 players for pennies who fit the system and let the best man win. we've missed twice so far on big spending (weaver/green) simply because we were so far behind that reaches needed to be made, but these nickel potential signings are paying huge (walter, demps, kalu, leach, killings, andre davis, cochran, and many more).

brown's a nickel signing that cant hurt us, but is capable of helping us in a big way.

hell if nothing else ... if brown, green, and taylor can each play 5 or more games before their inevitable injury, we're in good shape. :doot:

So much common sense in one post.

Good post scooter. I agree with you on all points. I'm excited about Chris Brown coming to Houston. I didn't like the Green signing last year because of his age but Brown is in his prime if he can stay healthy. One thing I'll add about Rick Smith and Kubiak signing all these players that fit the system and letting the best man win is that they can draft the best player available instead of reaching to fill a need.

nice post scoots.

some of us do have issues with the signing, "you can't please everyone" I guess.

1. Chris Brown was a Titan. drafted by & developed by Tennessee.

Fisher left him unprotected for a reason, whether he didn't fit the offense, couldn't stay healthy, whatever seems like another teams discards.

2. Championship pedigree.

What has he done or proven over the course of his career to indicate he will lead his team to a championship? I posted much earlier on in this thread the 2003 Fiesta Bowl & what has he done in Nashville?

3. Character issues.

Chris may be prone to making bone-headed deceisions (started off @ Fort Scott Kan. Junior College, then transferred to Northwestern & redshirted before Colorado, why?) might be physically gifted but is that any guarentee his talent is a blessing for the Texans? not to mention this signing is going to dislodge Darius Walker off the active roster, who has worked his tail off, back to the practice squad.

4. Injury concerns.

Concussion, back, ankle, toe, shoulder & hammy are all applicable injurys sustained over the past 5 years. Is it his running style, body type, what?

5. Texans won't use a high draft pick on an elite RB

Forgive me for wanting a franchise RB ala Adrian Peterson. RB by committee seems like the buzz word for Gibbs style. so now we have locked & loaded Ahman Green & Chris Brown, if Chris Taylor can bounce back thats a bonus.

nice post scoots.

some of us do have issues with the signing, "you can't please everyone" I guess.

1. Chris Brown was a Titan. drafted by & developed by Tennessee.

Fisher left him unprotected for a reason, whether he didn't fit the offense, couldn't stay healthy, whatever seems like another teams discards.

2. Championship pedigree.

What has he done or proven over the course of his career to indicate he will lead his team to a championship? I posted much earlier on in this thread the 2003 Fiesta Bowl & what has he done in Nashville?

3. Character issues.

Chris may be prone to making bone-headed deceisions (started off @ Fort Scott Kan. Junior College, then transferred to Northwestern & redshirted before Colorado, why?) might be physically gifted but is that any guarentee his talent is a blessing for the Texans? not to mention this signing is going to dislodge Darius Walker off the active roster, who has worked his tail off, back to the practice squad.

4. Injury concerns.

Concussion, back, ankle, toe, shoulder & hammy are all applicable injurys sustained over the past 5 years. Is it his running style, body type, what?

5. Texans won't use a high draft pick on an elite RB

Forgive me for wanting a franchise RB ala Adrian Peterson. RB by committee seems like the buzz word for Gibbs style. so now we have locked & loaded Ahman Green & Chris Brown, if Chris Taylor can bounce back thats a bonus.

good questions. i'll attempt to argue each but as you said, some folks arent going to like the signing regardless and i respect that as i'm not exactly fond of a few already signed/resigned.

1. signing divisional castoffs is part of the game, i'm assuming as a way to gain insight on the other team. we did it atleast twice last year (colts db and bucs) with players who i'm drawing a blank on but didnt last past their respective games. it's a matter of opinion, but IMO brown would've been snatched up regardless ... what we did is take from a rival to strengthen ourselves.

2. completely bogus and i'm sure you know it. marino didnt win a ring. everyone outside of san diego wants LT who hasnt made a superbowl appearance. antowain smith has 2 rings and couldnt make it half way through preseason.

3. i got nothing, i dont know enough about brown's background to agree or argue. as far as dislodging players ... isnt that the point? fans can play favoritism til we're blue in the face, when coaches do we're in heaps of trouble. every signing should beat someone for the job ... the beauty of this signing is it's dirt cheap, these guys have to COMPETE for a job. neither is guaranteed anything.

4. injuries are a concern but as far as i can tell (which isnt far at all) none are career threatening or recurrences by default. history isnt on our side, but it's not necessarily against us either.

5. as i said in my last post, chris brown has zero effect on our draft and free agent signings. he's not being paid to save the franchise, hell at his current status he's nowhere guaranteed a roster spot.

arguing each individually makes more fun, but i'll reiterate what i've said ... every concern about brown can be squashed with one word - price. brown signed for butt nothing and if he boselli's on us we're not losing much at all. minimal loss, we lose the opportunity to sign a couple of college walkons. on the flipside if brown manages to do what he's done when healthy he can not only fit the system, but thrive in it. minimum risk, big reward. i keep going back to it, but this is our 06 defensive tackle push when we had so many injuries ... this is a spot we need filled. sign every minimum possible and see what sticks.

Just saw this after getting back from vacation. I think it is a good pickup. We could use a running back and he can use a new situation. He was a mean runner in college. He was a good back in the first couple of years of his pro career but injuries caught him. Wasn't he the guy Simmons laid out? Dislocated his shoulder I think.

Rick Smith is smart to take a chance on Brown, maybe he has a good year with the opportunities he will get with the Texans.

chrisbrownhitedited8sx.gif

arguing each individually makes more fun, but i'll reiterate what i've said ... every concern about brown can be squashed with one word - price. brown signed for butt nothing and if he boselli's on us we're not losing much at all. minimal loss, we lose the opportunity to sign a couple of college walkons. on the flipside if brown manages to do what he's done when healthy he can not only fit the system, but thrive in it. minimum risk, big reward. i keep going back to it, but this is our 06 defensive tackle push when we had so many injuries ... this is a spot we need filled. sign every minimum possible and see what sticks.

not my intention to argue points just a reflection of what many out here are thinking :thinking: Gibbs prophecy fullfilled :photos:

lol thanks for the video ... the texans DB's arent known for their coverage skills but they'll damn sure hit somebody (simmons & dunta ... are there any smaller players in the NFL or any who hit harder?). not having to play the texans twice a year should help brown's injury risk.

Or what about Alexander from Seatle?

My guess is that Alexander is going to sign a decent sized deal to be some poor teams RB1 or RB2. I don't think the Texans would be interested in him as they already have a somewhat injury prone RB with Green. I also imagine that this is going to make it very difficult for Darius Walker to find a spot on this team unless he really works his butt off in camp.

I think its a good move, what?:bat:

GP, I think you should step back for a few days, stretch the legs a bit. I am sure if you talk to Herv he can recommend a good place to chill for a while. You are starting to sound an awful lot like our resident troll Nighthawk, or worse, the infamous BoBo.

You are blasting everything the Texans do. If Rick Smith stopped to pick up a quarter you would probably start an entire thread about how Rick Smith is waisting time and thats why this team never signs any good players.

Chill, its only the offseason.

Advice taken.

I have pulled away from the dark side, and the force is now balanced again. I am burying the hatchet on the QB and RB situations. It's going to be a whole new GP--I am reformed and on the wagon. Sorry to everyone for being a titty baby for so long on those two issues.

I need to see the big picture, and not paint with a broad brush.

Advice taken.

I have pulled away from the dark side, and the force is now balanced again. I am burying the hatchet on the QB and RB situations. It's going to be a whole new GP--I am reformed and on the wagon. Sorry to everyone for being a titty baby for so long on those two issues.

I need to see the big picture, and not paint with a broad brush.

Welcome back. :thumbup

GP, I did the same thing with the Schaub trade last year. I went from being raving mad about it, to later a big supporter of it, and now I'm in a wait and see mode. As to this deal, I also didn't like it at first, but after some posts getting though my thick skull he was being signed cheap to add debth, I'm OK with it now.

We all make mistakes and then later step back and sometimes change our minds, and then change them again. LOL

It's called being human.

i'd like to see this thread keep going. how does brown match up with our line? how does he compare with what gibbs wants? what are are go-to plays with brown in the lineup? how does brown stack up when healthy ... does he start over green or do they split time or does green start? because of age & risk, do you committee 3 or is it a 4+ way competition for exclusive #1? what type of complimentary draft are we looking at with green/brown/walker+ ? (we will draft a RB or sign many UFA's). how likely is it that neither green or brown even make the starter with both the draft and june 1st cuts coming up?

I think the thing Im most worried about is the following depth chart:

Ahman Green - Coming off injury
Chris Brown - Coming off injury
Chris Taylor - Coming off injury

We could easily see any or all those guys go down early in the season, and that means another year of musical RB

I think the thing Im most worried about is the following depth chart:

Ahman Green - Coming off injury
Chris Brown - Coming off injury
Chris Taylor - Coming off injury
Ron Dayne - Slow with no power

We could easily see any or all those guys go down early in the season, and that means another year of musical RB

Added one for you.

To be truthful about it, i dont think its anything as a franchise back anymore. I think a team has to rrun the ball which gives you a physical identity, but the rules have been set up for explosive pass plays. I'm as old school as they come and i really love smash mouth football, but at the rate rb's go down, why spend a high pick or alot of money on them? When was the last time a high 1st rd tb made it to the sb on a team? i love to watch peterson,lt and the other dynamic backs, but how many rings do they have? Peterson showed alot as a rookie, but his back up was a 4th rd pick that ran for 1200 yds the yr before and avg 5 ypc when he was hurt. The colts lost a future hof in james and a 1600 yd back and replaced him with a late 1st rd pick and a cfl guy and won the bowl.

To me its about the running game in general. The 2 superbowl teams had great running games. Maroney, the injured smith, and faulk vs. Jacobs and bradshaw. maroney was a late 1st, morris 3rd rd as well as faulk and jacobs was a 4th and bradshaw a 7th. With the success gibbs and kubes have had with backs no higher than the 2nd on portis, why would they ever pick a back in the 1st? if anyone listens to gibbs long enough from his denver days he basically only like guys out of the traditional 2 back sets that he knows can do what he wants in a back. Also he doesnt like 1st rd lineman. he gets guys specific to what he wants to do . Gibbs will coach the backs and the line for the most part. Backs like Stewart and Mendenhall that run from that spread set are pretty much out of the question.

Back to brown. Brown is probably a gibbs pick. As a titans fan 1st and texans fan 2nd although i would say i'm 51/49 now, the only limitations to brown is health. We can say thats huge and it is to some extent, but he does exactly what gibbs wants. He presses the heels of the linemen, make the cut and comes downhill. He can break the long run and doesnt get arm tackled. The concept of getting 1800-2000 yds from the running game is what will help the texans become a force. Under Shannahan and Kubes as the oc, denver was a 55/45 run pass team and avg 25ppg. They would avg 550 runs a yr which used to be 2nd only to pitts and dallas in the 90's. I expect the same here. Brown will get 225 carries, green if healthy will get 175 and 30 catches and taylor/walker will get the other 150 carries. That means brown will be at about 950-970 yds, Green at 700 yds,and the other 2 at 500 yds. to do this though, the defense has to be good enough to keep you in the run game mode or the team has to be ahead. If the defense isnt good enough and teams get a big lead early, the the carries will be down and pass attempts up.

If guy want to go and get this "franchise back" and the defense isnt good enough, the guy will be on the sideline with his helment chillin because the other team will be running the ball down their throats.

To be truthful about it, i dont think its anything as a franchise back anymore. I think a team has to rrun the ball which gives you a physical identity, but the rules have been set up for explosive pass plays. I'm as old school as they come and i really love smash mouth football, but at the rate rb's go down, why spend a high pick or alot of money on them? When was the last time a high 1st rd tb made it to the sb on a team? i love to watch peterson,lt and the other dynamic backs, but how many rings do they have? Peterson showed alot as a rookie, but his back up was a 4th rd pick that ran for 1200 yds the yr before and avg 5 ypc when he was hurt. The colts lost a future hof in james and a 1600 yd back and replaced him with a late 1st rd pick and a cfl guy and won the bowl.

To me its about the running game in general. The 2 superbowl teams had great running games. Maroney, the injured smith, and faulk vs. Jacobs and bradshaw. maroney was a late 1st, morris 3rd rd as well as faulk and jacobs was a 4th and bradshaw a 7th. With the success gibbs and kubes have had with backs no higher than the 2nd on portis, why would they ever pick a back in the 1st? if anyone listens to gibbs long enough from his denver days he basically only like guys out of the traditional 2 back sets that he knows can do what he wants in a back. Also he doesnt like 1st rd lineman. he gets guys specific to what he wants to do . Gibbs will coach the backs and the line for the most part. Backs like Stewart and Mendenhall that run from that spread set are pretty much out of the question.

Back to brown. Brown is probably a gibbs pick. As a titans fan 1st and texans fan 2nd although i would say i'm 51/49 now, the only limitations to brown is health. We can say thats huge and it is to some extent, but he does exactly what gibbs wants. He presses the heels of the linemen, make the cut and comes downhill. He can break the long run and doesnt get arm tackled. The concept of getting 1800-2000 yds from the running game is what will help the texans become a force. Under Shannahan and Kubes as the oc, denver was a 55/45 run pass team and avg 25ppg. They would avg 550 runs a yr which used to be 2nd only to pitts and dallas in the 90's. I expect the same here. Brown will get 225 carries, green if healthy will get 175 and 30 catches and taylor/walker will get the other 150 carries. That means brown will be at about 950-970 yds, Green at 700 yds,and the other 2 at 500 yds. to do this though, the defense has to be good enough to keep you in the run game mode or the team has to be ahead. If the defense isnt good enough and teams get a big lead early, the the carries will be down and pass attempts up.

If guy want to go and get this "franchise back" and the defense isnt good enough, the guy will be on the sideline with his helment chillin because the other team will be running the ball down their throats.

easily the best post i've read in a long time. it's nice to see common sense isnt lost in hype.

Back