Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

I hope he doesn't put too much focus on that one game. There are 13 other games that are more important than that one for winning the division.

Don't follow your logic or your math here...

Isn't one of the main goals to beat your divisional opponents, at the least to hold the tie breakers? And don't they have 14 other games besides the colts? And what's more important games than beating division rivals?

Isn't one of the main goals to beat your divisional opponents, at the least to hold the tie breakers? And don't they have 14 other games besides the colts? And what's more important games than beating division rivals?

Well it's not like we've never beat Indy. McClain was saying we're 0-13 at Indy. There are 15 other games (I fk'd that up, subtracted when I should have added) that are more important.

We've got three division rivals. We could go 14-2, win the division, beat our division rivals (two of them anyway), & still lose both games to Indy.

What's the point in beating Indy if we can't win but 8 or 9 games? They're going to win 10+

Well it's not like we've never beat Indy. McClain was saying we're 0-13 at Indy. There are 15 other games (I fk'd that up, subtracted when I should have added) that are more important.

We've got three division rivals. We could go 14-2, win the division, beat our division rivals (two of them anyway), & still lose both games to Indy.

What's the point in beating Indy if we can't win but 8 or 9 games? They're going to win 10+

Yes it's possible, but not likely. The division still runs thru Indy and if you want to win you need to be able to beat Indy

Yes it's possible, but not likely. The division still runs thru Indy and if you want to win you need to be able to beat Indy

Looking at my whole post, in context (with the corrected math).... the game in question was the one in Indy. I hope OB doesn't put too much focus on that one game when the other 15 are more important.

& in truth, that's just a tie breaker. We win more games than Indy, regardless how we do it (beating them helps a lot, I know) we win the division.

Besides, I think winning 10 games would be something short of a miracle in 2015. I'm hoping we win the right 9 & get into the play offs.

Looking at my whole post, in context (with the corrected math).... the game in question was the one in Indy. I hope OB doesn't put too much focus on that one game when the other 15 are more important.

& in truth, that's just a tie breaker. We win more games than Indy, regardless how we do it (beating them helps a lot, I know) we win the division.

Besides, I think winning 10 games would be something short of a miracle in 2015. I'm hoping we win the right 9 & get into the play offs.

I think that winning divisional games are equally important. It's all semantics, but if you HAD to pick one team as the one you most needed to beat, it would be Indy. Not only because it gets you wins, but it gets them losses

MargeCarMeme.png

Here are some of the topics covered at the morning breakfast:

On this offseason
I look at it this way, free agency is a stage, of putting a team together. And that is not over yet. Then it's the draft and we are deep into our preparations for the draft, the first weekend in May. Then, one of the critical times for us is - post draft. With the college free agents. That's a stage.

On Clowney
I would say with JD, I think he is rehabbing very well. In fact last week he had a great week. He had his best week of rehab. As far as putting a time of when he will be back on the field with pads, I wouldn't be able to do that for you right now but I like the way he is progressing.

With JD, it is all going to come down to what he does when he puts the pads on. How he plays, can he stay out there, how he takes care of his body because there is no question about his ability to go out there and affect the game.

On Su'a-Filo
He is in there every day. He is working very hard, I've seen him every day that I've been in the office, he is in there rehabbing. He is working in the weight room. He is doing really well. He wants to be good. I really like where he is at right now.

On Nix
I have not seen Luis Nix, so I don't know. He is working out in Florida. I haven't seen him but that's their prerogative. Don't read anything into that.

More Nix - on what he wants to see:
I would say the ability to make it through a practice. That would be the biggest thing I'd need to see.

On Andre Johnson
I've said this all along. I've been fortunate to coach some of the best players at their position in this game. Whether it was Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Logan Mankins, you know all these guys I've been involved with. JJ Watt obviously. I am just fortunate to have coached and had a chance to be with Andre for a year and like I said, he will go down as one of the best ever to play that position.

On DeAndre Hopkins
Basically last year was his best year. He had a really productive year. The thing that we really like about Hop and we want him to continue to work on is work ethic. He is a hungry player. He works every single day. He came into the spring a year ago, and learned the offense. He was kind of thinking out there and then all if a sudden he just took off so we just want to see him continue to progress. We think he can be, we think he is one of the best. We have a lot of confidence in him.

On Brian Hoyer
Brian Hoyer is a very competitive guy, personable guy, football means a lot to him. He is a great family guy, basically a new father. He has two young children. I've known him since his rookie year and he is a guy that perseveres. He has good leadership qualities. He has won games in this league, he is a good fit for what he we do and basically in a different way I would say about Ryan Mallett, id say similar things.

On Watt
I broke down every player. When I broke him down. Out of all the plays he played, I think he had 120 plays that he had either a TFL, a quarterback hit, sack, a batted ball, an interception, a fumble recovery, a caused fumble, on 120 plays he did one of those 7 things, and now he is out there in Wisconsin and he is trying to get better. And he knows that he has no limits.

Ranking the NFL coaches 1-32: No easy choices, except at No. 1

11. Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans -- Surprised to see him this high? He did an amazing job in his first season in 2014. I thought the Texans would win two or three games. He got them to nine victories and nearly had them in the playoffs. He has the feel of a really good coach. I think he will be higher on this list in the coming years.

Did Prisco just write something positive about the Texans?

I think that winning divisional games are equally important. It's all semantics, but if you HAD to pick one team as the one you most needed to beat, it would be Indy. Not only because it gets you wins, but it gets them losses

BINGO!!!
TO put that into perspective just look at it this way:

1. We were two games away from winning the division. Guess which two losses would've solidified the division outright?

2. The Colts went 11-5 but 6 of those wins were all in the division. Outside the division that team was merely 5-5. Meanwhile, The Texans were 4-2 and were 5-5 outside the division. Trust me, those games mean it.

BINGO!!!
TO put that into perspective just look at it this way:

1. We were two games away from winning the division. Guess which two losses would've solidified the division outright?

2. The Colts went 11-5 but 6 of those wins were all in the division. Outside the division that team was merely 5-5. Meanwhile, The Texans were 4-2 and were 5-5 outside the division. Trust me, those games mean it.

At some point, outside assistance won't be enough.

O'Brien's Improvement Wishlist
Last week at the NFL Annual Meetings, Bill O'Brien... pinpointed four areas where the Texans need to "get better".

1. Kickoff and punt returns: O'Brien mentioned special teams first, and focused primarily on the return game and covering returns. The Texans were 31st out of 32 teams last season in yards per punt return with 6.1. Only the Chicago Bears were worse.

They weren't much better on kickoff return average, picking up 21.1 yards per kickoff return. That was the 29th-best mark in the NFL.

When covering punts, the Texans again ranked 31st in the League. Opponents averaged 12.4 yards per punt return. Kickoffs return yardage allowed was a bit better, but still in the bottom third of the NFL. The Texans gave up 26 yards per kickoff return, putting them in 25th place.

“We’ve gotta get better on special teams," O'Brien said. "We’re looking for, whether it’s in the draft or the rest of whatever’s left of free agency, can we find some guys? Maybe it’s a returner. Maybe it’s a guy that can cover kicks."

Speed on special teams can go a long way in helping punter Shane Lechler and kicker Randy Bullock, both of whom have strong legs.

2. Offensive line depth: The likely starters, left to right, on the offensive line are Duane Brown, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks and Derek Newton.

That quintet, along with former center Chris Myers, got the lion's share of snaps last season.

Tyson Clabo came off the bench for 99 offensive snaps, and Jeff Adams was in the game for a pair of offensive snaps. Nobody else from a group that includes Cody White, Will Yeatman, David Quessenberry, and practice squadders James Ferentz, Matt Feilerand Bryan Witzmann saw regular season game action.

3. More wide receivers: DeAndre Hopkins led the team with 1,210 receiving yards.

Andre Johnson is gone.

Cecil Shorts, III was added in free agency.

Damaris Johnson re-signed in free agency.

O'Brien will look to layer in more help at that position, "continuing to do, probably through the draft, a good job of filling in the wide receiver position."

This year's Draft features what's been described as a bumper crop of pass-catchers.

4. Safety first: At cornerback, both starters in Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson are under contract. So are A.J. Bouye, Darryl Morris and Jumal Rolle.

At safety, the team added Rahim Moore and lost Kendrick Lewis. D.J. Swearinger, Eddie Pleasant and Lonnie Ballentine are under contract as well.

O'Brien said he wanted "to build depth in the secondary, especially at the safety position". Danieal Manning was on the team last season, but is now an unrestricted free agent. The Texans will look to bolster this spot perhaps in the Draft, as well as in free agency.

Created a leadership council of ~10 players that he meets with once a week. Open exchange of ideas on where O'Brien thought the team was... or a player was... or a scheme was... and compared it to the player's impressions. Communication across all fronts.

Arrived in Houston, there was no "team"... just a room full of individuals. Had to create a culture of team. Remove entitlement from player expectations, thought processes. Earn your spot every day.("We're still working on that.")

There more that you can do -- the more versatility you have, the more usefulness you create... and that solidifies your spot on the roster.

Ignore the noise. Don't worry about what's going on outside the team, what people are saying. The only thing that matters is what you do in these rooms, on the practice fields, in the games.

Attitude. Make room for positive reinforcement. Create/recognize small victories. Stay on your players to improve, then give a guy his props when he grows. Small victories.

When I got to Houston, I felt we were a soft team. Other teams around the league felt they could ultimately out-physical us. Talked about this with team, and set up scrimmages with two different teams in preseason... and beat them physically. Word gets around the league quickly about this.

Started off in full padded practices on Wednesdays. Players weren't getting back from last week's games, it was too soon and too much. So lightened the load on Wednesdays and pushed pads to Thursdays. It helped. Keep your team fresh so they can go 60 minutes on Sundays.

Game plan offense/defense equals 16 one game seasons. Don't dwell on the past, what went wrong. See it, correct, move on quickly to the next game. No lingering effect. (Need to improve that in Houston.)

Red area. (Need to get better at this in Houston.) We think the red area begins at the 12 yard line. That's where defenses began changing to red-zone concepts against the Texans. HC has to let the OC know early if it's going to be 4 down territory. We have to be able to run it in. We need tighter formations so WRs can get in and block down. Prefer direct runs, between tackles, not wide. Skill player decisions have to make quicker decisions in red area. Smaller windows, quickly disappear. Catch and run plays. Be prepared to combat picket fence and blitz zero...

Goes deeper into red zone concepts using video in the seminar.
http://hou.scout.com/story/1545814-texans-tidbit-a-story-on-a-second-round-pick?s=116

Texans Tidbits: O'Brien's Town Hall Call
Some notes of interest from Head Coach Bill O'Brien's Town Hall Conference Call.

- Ben Jones has been working at the starting center position. James "Brick" Ferentz has been also getting reps at center during coaching sessions. Xavier Su’a-Filo is working primarily at left guard but getting looks at center.

- 100% participation during offseason work.

- O’Brien likes Kevin Johnson’s ability to make up ground in coverage. Likes how he works and feels good on what he has seen from him over the past ten days they have spent together.

- Brandon Brooks has had a much better offseason this year than last year. He is much stronger this year and the team has high expectations for him.

- Xavier Su’a-Filo took maybe a week off, but has been up at NRG Stadium getting ready for the season. Mentions that he has remade his body for the season and the head coach likes Su'a-Filo's offseason to this point. Can play center, now.

- O’Brien is impressed with the work Jadeveon Clowney has put in. He is always in early and is able to do things with the team in the weight room plus some on field work. However, Clowney is held out of some because of rehab. Expect him to be a full go when he is cleared.

- O’Brien mentions that DeAndre Hopkins is mentoring rookies Jaelen Strong, Keith Humphrey, and Chandler Worthy. DHop doing a really good job in leadership.

- O’Brien likes his top three wide receivers and what they bring to the team. Mentioned Hopkins, Nate Washington, and Cecil Shorts III as the initial three.

- O’Brien mentions that Rick Smith is in charge of moving to get players. There is a consensus between the scouting and coaching staff to make decisions on players to move up.

- O’Brien likes Benardrick McKinney’s leadership ability. When they went to work McKinney at Mississippi State, they liked his mentality as a leader. Was impressed with his being able to line up the defense during rookie mini-camp.
http://hou.scout.com/story/1546488-texans-tidbits-o-brien-s-town-hall-call?s=116

Last edited:
Some good player news in there, sounds like a number of players have gotten stronger...

And some news of things that haven't changed... yet. ("Rick Smith is in charge of moving to get players") If we really like a player, have real conviction about a player, we'll go up and get him. I give Rick credit for those moves.

- Ben Jones at center still scares the heck out of me. He was below average at G, so do we think he'll miraculously be better at center?

- Brooks getting stronger? Good grief! I thought he was already one of, if not the strongest on the team. I like it

- I look forward to watching how much X has improved. I'm happy to hear he's put this much effort into his offseason. He was kinda jiggly and had a lot of junk in the trunk. Which is sometimes good, but I think he was to the point where it hampered more than helped him.

- Ben Jones has been working at the starting center position. James "Brick" Ferentz has been also getting reps at center during coaching sessions. Xavier Su’a-Filo is working primarily at left guard but getting looks at center.

- Brandon Brooks has had a much better offseason this year than last year. He is much stronger this year and the team has high expectations for him.

- Xavier Su’a-Filo took maybe a week off, but has been up at NRG Stadium getting ready for the season. Mentions that he has remade his body for the season and the head coach likes Su'a-Filo's offseason to this point. Can play center, now.

Some good player news in there, sounds like a number of players have gotten stronger...

And some news of things that haven't changed... yet. ("Rick Smith is in charge of moving to get players") If we really like a player, have real conviction about a player, we'll go up and get him. I give Rick credit for those moves.

OB has the power to overcome Rick Smith ? :slapfight:

- Ben Jones at center still scares the heck out of me. He was below average at G, so do we think he'll miraculously be better at center?

I'm really interested to see how much weight Ferentz was able to put on. Coach's son, nicknamed "brick"... might be able to work his way into the lineup. He's 6'2 5/8"... if he added 15 lbs he'd be pretty much on average for Cs. OB might just might have a sneaky stash, here. I want a guy named brick on my team.

I don't think he was below average at guard. I thought he was a solid starter.

I think Ben Jones is a very smart player like Ferentz . When you don't have the size but know how to play and have a good anchor , you become a center .

I think OB likes to redshirt his OL/DL guys . Give them a year to change their bodies in his words . Nix not training in Houston was probably the rub against him .

I'm really interested to see how much weight Ferentz was able to put on. Coach's son, nicknamed "brick"... might be able to work his way into the lineup. He's 6'2 5/8"... if he added 15 lbs he'd be pretty much on average for Cs. OB might just might have a sneaky stash, here. I want a guy named brick on my team.

Yeah, how could anyone not root for a cat that's nicknamed "Brick"? I know I will

Yes, TK, I know you do. I do not....and I have a hunch I'm in the majority

Good thing you're not talking about a Basketball team.

Yeah, how could anyone not root for a cat that's nicknamed "Brick"? I know I will

Yes, TK, I know you do. I do not....and I have a hunch I'm in the majority

If it's you and a bunch of board members maybe. Stand over there with the coaching staff, take that vote again and you're probably wrong.

I don't really know. Ben Jones has never particularly stood out to me but I really, really, really...... really hope that if the Texans are dead set on doing this then they have some reason to believe it's a good idea.

The one thing I really like is that I have a feeling that if one of these guys stands out over the others he will be the center. That's something that feels very consistent where this coaching staff is concerned. I think it wasn't long after Kubiak arrived that we started to talk about how some guys appeared to get on the field ahead of others who we thought looked better. That seemed like a regular thing during those 8 years he was in charge. It doesn't feel like things work that way anymore. At least not to me.

I'm actually fine with Ben Jones at C. He was actually drafted for the center position out of college, and was described at the time as being Myers eventual replacement. He was able to win the starting center job at Georgia 3 games into his freshman season. In the 2012 draft, we was rated amongst the top 2 centers in the entire class.

Ben Jones' Wiki

If it's you and a bunch of board members maybe. Stand over there with the coaching staff, take that vote again and you're probably wrong.

I don't really know. Ben Jones has never particularly stood out to me but I really, really, really...... really hope that if the Texans are dead set on doing this then they have some reason to believe it's a good idea.

The one thing I really like is that I have a feeling that if one of these guys stands out over the others he will be the center. That's something that feels very consistent where this coaching staff is concerned. I think it wasn't long after Kubiak arrived that we started to talk about how some guys appeared to get on the field ahead of others who we thought looked better. That seemed like a regular thing during those 8 years he was in charge. It doesn't feel like things work that way anymore. At least not to me.

I know... seems like it's just me & OB.

We'll see how it plays out. Just for the record, I'd love it if Ben turned out to be a good center. He seems like an awesome guy and very well liked in the locker room.

I'm not certain what OB thinks of him. Didn't X play in his spot a few times last season? Obviously, he wasn't much better.

In the end, I hope they both got better. We need them

I'm sorry.... didn't we just cut a safety because he was as thick as a brick??
:cool:

I'm actually fine with Ben Jones at C. He was actually drafted for the center position out of college, and was described at the time as being Myers eventual replacement. He was able to win the starting center job at Georgia 3 games into his freshman season. In the 2012 draft, we was rated amongst the top 2 centers in the entire class.

Ben Jones' Wiki

Good point!

While I agree with HOU-TEX's position that Jones has been underwhelming at guard (although to many of us, anything short of Pro-Bowl level performance would be considered underwhelming), the move to C should be viewed as a better utilization of his skills, more than it should be a concern. Hey, all you've got to do is look at Chris Myers first year here, and Derek Newton prior to last year to get an idea of the astute projection of O-line talent that happens on this board.

I think Ben's biggest problem is that he looks like your teenage son's goofy best friend, rather than a grizzled, tough as nails NFL offensive lineman. Hopefully, 2015 (and beyond) prove that you can't judge this book by it's cover.

Ben Jones' Wiki

This. Ben Jones had some growing pains at G but he was actually drafted at C out of Georgia. Will be good for him and Ferentz to compete.

I think Ben's biggest problem is that he looks like your teenage son's goofy best friend, rather than a grizzled, tough as nails NFL offensive lineman. Hopefully, 2015 (and beyond) prove that you can't judge this book by it's cover.

You mean this guy doesn't look grizzled and tough as nails enough for you ...

[IMGWIDTHSIZE=450]http://cover32.com/texans/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2013/07/960x595-2.jpg[/IMGWIDTHSIZE]

... or now back at center he's just the killer you never see comin', lulls em' into thinking it's gonna be a walk in the park and then, BLAM! ...

[IMGWIDTHSIZE=450]http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Ben+Jones+Florida+v+Georgia+Cmt47G_9vKrl.jpg[/IMGWIDTHSIZE]

... and this is our madman at the point of attack for 2015 and beyond. Ben 'effin Jones.

How about this Brick? :lol::lol::lol:

anchorman-brick_1_zpsxlguiwx8.png

O’Brien is impressed with the work Jadeveon Clowney has put in. He is always in early and is able to do things with the team in the weight room plus some on field work. However, Clowney is held out of some because of rehab. Expect him to be a full go when he is cleared

Well there's your sign.....no ****.

Texans Tidbits: O'Brien's Town Hall Call
Some notes of interest from Head Coach Bill O'Brien's Town Hall Conference Call...- O’Brien is impressed with the work Jadeveon Clowney has put in. He is always in early and is able to do things with the team in the weight room plus some on field work. However, Clowney is held out of some because of rehab. Expect him to be a full go when he is cleared...http://hou.scout.com/story/1546488-texans-tidbits-o-brien-s-town-hall-call?s=116
Nothing new here except OB possibly wanting to push Clowney too hard once he is cleared. The latest expectations for Clowney to be cleared for the playing field is the end of training camp. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is also our own Doc's estimate. How much pressure will the medical staff be under to release him early? Also, is it reasonable to expect a player who has not been practicing to immediately start once he is cleared? Will he see spot duty in the first game? Or is it better for him to practice a couple of weeks before throwing him into a game?

Nothing new here except OB possibly wanting to push Clowney too hard once he is cleared. The latest expectations for Clowney to be cleared for the playing field is the end of training camp. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is also our own Doc's estimate. How much pressure will the medical staff be under to release him early? Also, is it reasonable to expect a player who has not been practicing to immediately start once he is cleared? Will he see spot duty in the first game? Or is it better for him to practice a couple of weeks before throwing him into a game?

I'd hope they'd ease him in gradually, giving him a very limited role as a situational guy to get him up to "match fitness" (to use a soccer phrase).

However, having watched the NFL for some time now I fully expect them to throw him out there with the pressure to be everything they drafted him to be right off the bat and if something goes pop straight away then it's aww shucks on to the next man.

I'm amazed by the attitude of these teams, very much a 'what are my millions invested going to get me this week' with little thought to the maximum return over however many years the contract is. Crazy.

I'd hope they'd ease him in gradually, giving him a very limited role as a situational guy to get him up to "match fitness" (to use a soccer phrase).

However, having watched the NFL for some time now I fully expect them to throw him out there with the pressure to be everything they drafted him to be right off the bat and if something goes pop straight away then it's aww shucks on to the next man.

I'm amazed by the attitude of these teams, very much a 'what are my millions invested going to get me this week' with little thought to the maximum return over however many years the contract is. Crazy.

Repped,

Almost all NFL teams (Excluding the Seahawks) seem to operate this way.

Adam Schein REALLY loves him some BOB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tion-effectively-kicks-off-year-of-the-Texans

As one of 50 voters with a ballot in The Associated Press' NFL awards, I selected Bill O'Brien as my Coach of the Year in 2014. In his first year as an NFL head man, O'Brien promptly transformed the Texans from a two-win mess to a 9-7 squad that competed for the playoffs all season long. O'Brien kept this team playing winning football despite not having a quarterback and not having the services of the No. 1 overall pick (Jadeveon Clowney) for most of the season. O'Brien simply made the most of what he had. It was his idea, after all, to toss Watt into the red-zone offense -- a masterstroke that netted the Texans three touchdowns. Houston was disciplined and accountable. O'Brien's bunch overachieved.

Now, in a wide-open AFC, the Texans are on the doorstep of being a playoff team -- and possibly winning in January.

One way or another, O'Brien will turn an obvious weakness on paper into a manageable situation that won't doom the team. He's that good. Anyone who saw what he did last year -- and as head coach of Penn State during trying times -- knows what I'm talking about.

Every team in the AFC South has improved this offseason, as I wrote a couple of months ago. But Houston should be able to go 4-2 in the division -- at worst. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation. Indianapolis will rightfully enter the season as the division favorite, but Houston won't lay down for the Colts. And they'll be right in the mix for a wild-card slot.

When you stack Houston up against some other probable wild-card contenders -- like and Jets and Bills -- there's a reason I believe in the Texans the most. It's because of O'Brien.

Houston, New York and Buffalo all have great defenses ... and up-in-the-air quarterback situations. I know O'Brien can handle this, but what about the other two coaches? I think Todd Bowles was a great hire, but we still need to see how he handles the quarterback position and the bright spotlight of New York City. As for Buffalo ... I've seen the Rex Ryan movie before. I know how it ends.

Houston has a fantastic coach. And in an AFC that appears to be pretty darn balanced, this will make a huge difference.

This August will be sizzling with Texans talk, as I predict they'll be a fascinating team to follow on "Hard Knocks." And the even better news is that we will still be talking about Houston in January. Yes, I believe this team hits the postseason.

It's the year of the Texans.

I was thrilled...

I can't wait to watch this team...the Texans have a great organization. Bob McNair is one of the best owners in the NFL... winning culture...

...a statement year in Houston.

...I love where this team is headed.

As one of 50 voters with a ballot in The Associated Press' NFL awards, I selected Bill O'Brien as my Coach of the Year in 2014....Houston was disciplined and accountable... overachieved.

...Texans are on the doorstep... winning in January.

...the more detail-oriented Hoyer will help the raw-but-talented Mallett grow as a quarterback.

...O'Brien... He's that good...a solid offensive line... allowed just 26 sacks last season -- the fourth-lowest total in the NFL... a rushing attack that has finished in the top eight in four of the past five years.

I loved Houston's signing of Vince Wilfork.

...Clowney still oozes talent and upside. I haven't given up on him...

...this defense... at full strength... can carry Houston to the promised land.

Houston should be able to go 4-2 in the division...

...there's a reason I believe in the Texans the most. It's because of O'Brien.

...a fantastic coach.

...a fascinating team to follow on "Hard Knocks."...and... we will still be talking about Houston in January.

It's the year of the Texans.

That is the single most positive piece that has ever been written on the Texans. I bet his co-workers hate him.
laugh-1.gif

Vandermeer's View: Chapter Two of O’Brien’s Texans

As OTAs got rolling, I noticed how much things have solidified in the Bill O’Brien era. Last year, the roster and cosmetic changes jumped out dramatically. Things like no helmet logos, offense wearing blue instead of white and, oh yeah, a quarterback overhaul, stuck out prominently.

Now we’re fully settled into O’Brien’s tenure, with a winning season in the rear view mirror and post season aspirations on the road ahead.

The quarterback play has ratcheted up with Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage carving up reps in a system they are all familiar with. Savage, in year two, is noticeably more comfortable and commanding but all eyes are on Hoyer and Mallett to see how they fare in a race to be the chief signal caller.

Last year’s OTAs featured four QBs who were all learning the O’Brien way for the first time. Now you have three who have experience and the improved proficiency in OTAs is palpable.

It’s also great to see the rookies jumping around as first round pick Kevin Johnson’s enthusiasm is impossible to miss. But it’s last year’s crop that will also be well worth watching as they try to make that profound season one-to season two leap in improvement.

Jadeveon Clowney was a spectator as he continues to mend his knee. O’Brien has previously said that he’s tracking well. Xavier Su’a-filo, who missed last year’s OTAs because of a late graduating class, is trying to make the most of the job options with his O-line mates after seeing limited action in 2014.

C.J. Fiedorowicz played a ton last season and should continue to develop as a pass catcher. And Louis Nix III is in the mix on the defensive line, saying his goal was to ‘make it through a practice’ knowing that health has kept him from contributing.

We can talk all day about wide receiver as Andre Johnson isn’t part of the organization for the first time since 2002. Or we can debate safety possibilities alongside Rahim Moore. But we have plenty of time for that. The fact that the Texans are back, building their case for contention in 2015, is enough for now.

Texans Head Coach Bill O'Brien OTAs press conference 6/01/2015

(on what it means to be a good teammate) “It means caring about the team, doing what’s best for the team, and embracing your role. They’re all fighting for a role right now. We’re early, we’re only in June. They’re all trying to find a role on the team. We place them in a role and then it’s up to them to define that role and maybe find another role. That’s part of being a good teammate, embracing the role that we give you. Then communication, being dependable, being smart, and being tough. Those are all things that make up a good teammate.”

(on splitting reps between Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett) “It’s really early. We do a lot of two spot drills, so we’re getting both those guys a lot of reps. Tommy Savage is getting a lot of reps, too. All three quarterbacks are getting a lot of reps. So far, I would say all three guys have done a really good job this spring. They’ve been here every day and working hard and it’s been good to see.”

(on how well WR Keith Mumphery has played so far) “Not today, he wasn’t. I don’t know what practice you saw today, but it wasn’t today. I mean, he’s a rookie. All those guys are in the same boat. They’re all learning. I would say specifically with Mumphery, we felt like he did some different things at Michigan State. He was a guy that played multiple roles. He’d play receiver, he’d play a little bit of running back sometimes. Special teams, obviously, he did some good things. Just like all those guys, it’s a huge jump, so those guys, all of them as a group, have to really keep up with the installation. They have to continue to work to get in better shape. They’ve got to understand that now they’re playing with grown men. Every single day they have to be consistent in their approach to the game. Keith is working really hard, he’s a great kid, and he’s making progress.”

(on if he knows when he will be ready to name a starting quarterback) “No, no.”

(on QB Tom Savage) “I think he’s made a lot of progress. I think that from the end of the season to where we are now, I think the guy has done a good job. Now again, it’s early. It’s only June. But I see a guy that’s arriving in the building at 5:30 in the morning. He is one of the first guys to get here. He’s watching extra tape and it’s showing up on the field. It’s not always pretty, just like with every player, but I see a guy that’s made a lot of progress. I will tell you that as a coaching staff, we’re encouraged with how we’ve seen Tom progress.”

(on if he will talk to other NFL coaches about Hard Knocks and what adjustments he needs to make) “Yeah, I probably will. I’ll probably talk to some other coaches. I already have a little bit. As far as adjusting, again, we’re going to go about our business the way we always do. We’re not changing for anything. I think that when you look at Hard Knocks, I think it’s an opportunity for people to see that this is a team, that this is not a team of individuals. This is a team of good guys, good veteran guys, combined with some good young talent and some guys that have really paid their dues in this league. Hopefully, the show is able to give examples and show us as a team, a disciplined, smart football team. That’s what we’re looking forward to as it relates to Hard Knocks.”

(on if he has watched Hard Knocks in the past) “No.”

(on the New Orleans Saints canceling joint practices with the Texans) “We’re working on another team. We’re working on another team and we’ll see how that goes. Every day in this league as a head football coach and as a player, I think different things come up. It’s this, it’s that, or it’s something else. You’ve got to be able to adapt, you’ve got to be able to be flexible. In the end, all that it’s about is that you’re doing the best job you can coaching the team, coaching the coaches, and competing on the practice field or getting your team to compete on the practice field. So far, that’s what we’ve done. We’ve had a good spring. We’ve had basically 100 percent attendance in our voluntary phases, phase one and phase two. We’re still in the voluntary part of phase three and that’s been really good. That’s very encouraging.”

(on if he is encouraged by the depth in the secondary) “I really am. I really think for this stage of the year, where we are, again not to be too repetitive but it is early, but I do see a lot of competition back there. I see some really good communication. I see some veteran players that are really trying to be good leaders back there, J-Jo (Johnathan Joseph), Kareem (Jackson), and Rahim Moore. You’ve got some guys back there that have played a lot of football in this league at a high level. I think that’s really good for the younger players to see that and we have some good, young talent back there. We’ve got some good depth at the corner position. We’re looking at some different guys at safety and I think that position looks better and better every day, so I am happy with where the secondary is right now.”

(on S Eddie Pleasant) “Eddie’s done a good job. Eddie is a very competitive guy. It’s important to Eddie. Eddie is a good special teams player. Eddie is a tough guy and Eddie is a good teammate. There’s other guys there. We play so many different personnel groupings on defense. Sometimes we play two safeties, three safeties, and things like that. There are many. Lonnie Ballentine is out there competing. Terrance Parks is out there competing. We’ve put Andre Hal there, he’s done some good things at safety over the first four OTAs that we’ve had. There are guys out there that are really working hard to learn the position and play well at the position.”

(on what the younger players can learn and take away from OTAs) “Get in shape, really. Get in shape. One of the things about playing in Houston, and you have to embrace it, is that first of all, we demand a lot of these guys. We compete in practice. You guys are out there at practice. We’re competitive at practice. Guys are moving around. It’s not 55 degrees out there. It’s 90 degrees out there. You’ve got to be in shape. You’ve got to be able to go four, five, or six reps in a row in practice, so hopefully the rookie class and even some of the second-year players realize that when they come back for training camp, their conditioning level has to be a lot better than what it is right now.”

(on the team’s conditioning this year compared to last year) “I do. I do see some guys that were rookies last year that have come back in better shape. I’ll use Louis Nix as an example. I think Louis Nix has come back in good shape. He’s running around. He’s able to take all the reps. I think Lonnie Ballentine is another guy that was a rookie last year that’s come back. Then there’s guys that are just in fantastic shape that were rookies last year like Andre Hal. I mean, the guy can go all day. Now, we’ve got to get this rookie class to understand that, the rookies that are here now to understand that they need to be in tip top condition when they come back for July 25th.”

(on the rookie in the best shape) “I would say none of them. I wouldn’t even, yeah, I would say they all have a long way to go.”

(on the absence of WR Jaelen Strong at practice) “Yeah, he’s got a minor issue.”

(on embracing the Houston weather) “I do. I think we need to embrace it. I really do because we practice hard, we compete hard. Our guys play hard and I think it’s great out there. I think to be able to go out there in the middle of the day and practice the way we do, I think it’s something that we really need to use to our advantage and be a team that’s in good physical condition.”

(on NT Louis Nix III’s demeanor) “I don’t know. I’m not a psychologist, you know what I mean? I would say that he’s worked hard in the offseason and, again, it’s only June 2nd. I think that he’s really done a good job so far in our offseason program of making improvements from where he was last year. Again, he’s healthy. Last year, he was injured. This year, he is healthy and he’s able to be out there.”

(on TE C.J. Fiedorowicz) “I think that all those tight ends are more comfortable in our system. I think C.J. has had a good offseason. He was here a lot during the offseason. He’s worked hard. Looks like he’s improved some of his route running ability and some of his skill set there. He’s improved his hands to a certain degree. The true test for linemen and tight ends is when the pads go on in training camp. But he’s definitely an improved player.”

Texans Head Coach Bill O'Brien OTAs press conference 6/01/2015

(on what it’s like having NT Vince Wilfork in the middle of the defense) “Good. Yeah, it makes us all feel good to see number 75 in the middle of that defense. He’s a great, veteran player. He’s added a lot to our locker room. We’re very happy to have him here.”

(on what he would like to see out of TE C.J. Fiedorowicz) “I would like to see very consistent play. I’d like to see him really do a good job blocking. I think he’s a very good blocker. When he really puts his mind to it, he’s able to go out there and know his assignment and know what to do. He’s a very good blocking tight end and I think he can help us in the passing game. I think he can run the different routes that we need the tight ends to run. I know that these quarterbacks really like throwing to tight ends, so they’re working hard with him and the other tight ends in the passing game. Because again, we’re talking about C.J., but I’ve seen improvement with Ryan Griffin and with Garrett Graham. I’ve seen some of these younger players. We have a lot more competitive position at tight end with (Anthony) Denham, with (Mike) McFarland, and with Khari Lee. We have a very competitive position there. I think it’s a good positon for us and these guys need to keep trying to get better.”

(on if the starting safeties need to be interchangeable) “Not necessarily. Ideally, you’d want them to be interchangeable. Ideally you would, but they don’t necessarily have to be interchangeable. They have to be good communicators and they have to be smart. They have to be able to play man coverage, they’ve got to be good blitzers, and they’ve got to be good in zone coverage, as far as understanding pattern reads and where they are in the zone and what they’re assignment is in the zone. We have a lot of good competition at that position. You just look out there today, a lot of those guys made plays today and it was good to see.”

(on if seeing injuries around the league during OTAs affects the strategy) “Yeah, it does. I really do. I try to pay attention to that throughout the league. I think we all do as head coaches. We really, that’s one thing we talk a lot about at the owner’s meeting is player safety and obviously as that relates to spring football, which this basically is. I think with our offensive and defensive line, we’re so competitive. Those guys up front are so competitive on both sides of the ball that you have to throughout practice make sure that they know like, ‘Look, this is a non-contact deal here.’ We’ve got to basically rush three steps, block three steps, and take off and chase the ball. But that’s hard to do when you’ve got, obviously, the best player in the league on defense on that side of the ball in J.J. Watt and then add (Vince) Wilfork and you’ve got (Whitney) Mercilus coming off the edge, and Brian Cushing blitzing. You’ve got some very competitive, good football players. Yeah, I try to stay on top of that as best I can because in the end, player safety and having the health of your team, there’s nothing more important than the health of your team.”

(on what he looks for evaluating quarterbacks during OTAs besides completions) “Well, I like completions. Can you find that quote that I said I didn’t like completions? Please don’t put that out there. That will be out there for all of Houston to see, ‘Bill O’Brien likes incompletions.’ No, I like completions. I think I know what you’re driving at. I really think it’s important for these guys to be able to operate the offense at a high tempo. We have a lot of different types of tempo, but to be in and out of the huddle or when it’s no huddle, changing the pace of practice and handling that on their own. Being able to communicate the play, get people lined up, change the cadence, get us into the right play and then complete the pass. Primarily, this is a passing camp. There’s no pads on, so you’re working the running game on bags and things like that. Primarily it’s a passing camp. I think I know what you’re driving at with that question and I do see a lot of improvement overall with our quarterbacks from where we were at the end of season to where we are now with just operating the offense.”

(on seeing QB Tom Savage improving his control of the offense) “I have. I really have. I think he’s done a good job because of his knowledge of the system. He’s done a good job of understanding when the ball has to come out a little quicker, when he can hold the ball for a half of a second longer. He understands the pocket better. I think he’s an improved player. Now, the key is keep improving over the last nine practices that we have here and then really show up in training camp and do a good job in training camp when the pads are on and the so-called bullets are really flying. To this point, I see a lot of improvement with him.”

(on evolving in his second year as head coach) “I don’t know. I really do. I try to look at the things that we’re doing all the time. I really try to analyze everything that we’re doing every day and every night. I try to make notes on things. If it’s the middle of the night, wake up and try to make a note on something to get it corrected the next day. I don’t think any head coach in this league is ever satisfied. If you ever to get to that point, then you’re really in the wrong business. It will pass you by. I don’t know about the evolution and all those things. I’m being asked a lot of psychological questions and evolution questions, but I do know that I’m always trying. If I’m going to stand up in front of the team and demand that they get better, and talk about it’s a progress league and it’s a league of improvement, then I better be living that. I try to do that as much as I can.”

(on the new extra point rule) “You know what, I’ll be honest with you. I haven’t studied that a whole lot just yet. I’ve looked at it. Jim Bernhardt and I have talked about that. I think that’s a long conversation that we really have to have about how we see that. Because again, one of the big points about that is the defense can turn that into points if they scoop it up and run it back or whatever it may be, block a kick or whatever. I think we’ve got to really think about that. I’ll be honest with you, when the ruling came out, even though I kind of had an idea that it was probably going to be ruled that way, I just haven’t had a lot of time to think about that. I will probably during the summer.”

(on if he pays attention to trends around the NFL) “Absolutely. One of the things we try to do is it’s hard to study all 31 other teams. It’s hard to do that. You don’t really have enough time in the day because number one you’ve got to take care of your own team, but I think we do try to pick certain teams that we think are similar to some of the things that we do on offense, defense and special teams and study some of the things that they’re doing. Are those things that can make us better? Are they doing some things defensively or offensively that we can take, not necessarily copy, but take the concept of it and see if we can incorporate it into what we do. I traveled a lot this offseason, more than I did the previous offseason and went around to different college teams. I was also talking to some pro coaches and just asking different questions about how they practice and how they do certain things. I’ve learned a lot and some new things that way. Some of the two spot stuff we’re doing right now, we didn’t do that last year. We’re doing a little bit more of that in the spring. We’re always trying to see what we can do to be better.”

(on the advantage coming from Penn State when it comes to the new extra point rule) “I don’t know how much of an advantage that will be because I think it’s relative to the type of team you have. Like, what are you good at down there in the red zone and what is your kicking situation like? I don’t know how much of an advantage that will be. Again, that’s something I need to spend a little bit more time on then where I’m at right now.”

(on if he expects the defense to be ahead of the offense right now) “No, I really don’t. I think it’s been a very competitive OTA period. I think the offense has shown up and made some plays. The defense has made some plays. It’s kind of 50-50 right now. It’s a very competitive camp. I think this is a very competitive roster. I think across the board it’s a very competitive roster. If you look at all of our positions, I think that this is a roster made up of good guys, made up of guys that are hardworking guys, and guys that are talented. I think that helps your practice and that helps you create a really competitive 53 man roster when we get to that.”

(on the team’s conditioning this year compared to last year) “I do. I do see some guys that were rookies last year that have come back in better shape. I’ll use Louis Nix as an example. I think Louis Nix has come back in good shape. He’s running around. He’s able to take all the reps. I think Lonnie Ballentine is another guy that was a rookie last year that’s come back. Then there’s guys that are just in fantastic shape that were rookies last year like Andre Hal. I mean, the guy can go all day. Now, we’ve got to get this rookie class to understand that, the rookies that are here now to understand that they need to be in tip top condition when they come back for July 25th.”

(on the rookie in the best shape) “I would say none of them. I wouldn’t even, yeah, I would say they all have a long way to go.”

(on embracing the Houston weather) “I do. I think we need to embrace it. I really do because we practice hard, we compete hard. Our guys play hard and I think it’s great out there. I think to be able to go out there in the middle of the day and practice the way we do, I think it’s something that we really need to use to our advantage and be a team that’s in good physical condition.”

This stuff has become really interesting. With all the recent talk about the conditioning of the rookies folks have been quick to look at the situation glumly as though these guys just aren't ready, but OB's comments I think are pointing to something that could be seen as a shrewd tactical approach. We've seen for years teams up north being given clear advantages when the weather drops, and for good reason. It's shaping up now that OB is making a concerted effort to turn our harsh summer conditions into a tool of sorts to really sharpen the teams fitness heading into the eventual long haul of an NFL season. Come time to either play indoors here or the milder conditions of other cities we should be the team that still has that extra 4th quarter reserve to make some critical plays throughout the year. Of course I could just be gruesomely optimistic, but I like the look of leaving no stone unturned in preparation and making a hometown advantage a strength of this football team.

Back