Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Basically, Hoyer and Mallett get one year to prove they belong on the roster. Set up to draft a QB high in 2016 if no definitive answer at QB.
There it is in a nutshell.
th_squirrelSmiley.gif
Chasing potential drafts for a QB that may not be there doesn't sound like much of a plan. I guess these guys think they're back on the Kubiak 6 year plan?

Won't we have like 60+ million in cap room for 16? Any good free agent QBs avail next year?

Draft one high and sign a solid vet on tail end of career in perfect world.

Won't we have like 60+ million in cap room for 16? Any good free agent QBs avail next year?

Draft a QB in 2016? Sign a solid vet in 2016??? What is this gibberish?

By 2016, Mallett will have been a SB MVP and our only concern will be with re-signing him.

Yeah, cuz drafting QB's high guarantee good results!!!
Love,
Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Lockart, Blaine Gabbert, et al, ad nauseam. I'm so sick of this mentality.

Love,
Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Lockart, Blaine Gabbert, et al, ad nauseam. I'm so sick of this mentality.

Did either Bortles or Bridgewater look like those guys last season?

Vince Young looked great his rookie season

He looked like a guy that could "revolutionize" the position. However, it has been proven time and time again that QBs must be able to read defenses, make progressions from the pocket, and deliver the ball accurately and on time to have sustained success in the NFL. VY never could do that... Bortles and Bridgewater have both demonstrated that potential as rookies...

That being said, so has Mallett.

He looked like a guy that could "revolutionize" the position. However, it has been proven time and time again that QBs must be able to read defenses, make progressions from the pocket, and deliver the ball accurately and on time to have sustained success in the NFL. VY never could do that... Bortles and Bridgewater have both demonstrated that potential as rookies...

That being said, so has Mallett.

I haven't watched enough of either to say if they were or not. Was the offense scaled back to accommodate what they knew? It's too early to say.

Love,

Drafting quarterbacks high doesn't guarantee good results. I don't think anyone has ever said that except to make fun of the concept; I'm so sick of people building that strawman argument. When this board last did a rack and stack, first round picks only had a 35-40% chance of being "good". Drafting them late does however almost guarantee bad results - good quarterbacks are found less than 5% of the time after the third or fourth round.

So a team can draft a QB early with a medium risk of missing on that pick, or they can keep drafting quarterbacks late and have a high risk of never having a good quarterback.

We can argue about the definition of good quarterback. I'm using the term to mean that although the guy might not be elite, he is not limiting the the offense nor is the team in constant search of his replacement. Some might call that a franchise quarterback.

Drafting quarterbacks high doesn't guarantee good results. I don't think anyone has ever said that except to make fun of the concept; I'm so sick of people building that strawman argument. When this board last did a rack and stack, first round picks only had a 35-40% chance of being "good". Drafting them late does however almost guarantee bad results - good quarterbacks are found less than 5% of the time after the third or fourth round.

So a team can draft a QB early with a medium risk of missing on that pick, or they can keep drafting quarterbacks late and have a high risk of never having a good quarterback.

We can argue about the definition of good quarterback. I'm using the term to mean that although the guy might not be elite, he is not limiting the the offense nor is the team in constant search of his replacement. Some might call that a franchise quarterback.

I agree with you 100%, except (so I guess it's not 100%) the bigger risk, imo, is the talent you pass up. Go back & look at all the 1st rounds since 2006... Blain Gabbert alone had the Jags pass on half a dozen probowl defensive players.

I've got no problem if a team believes there's something special about a QB & if they feel it's worth passing on other blue chip players, but they need to be sure & they need to make it work, especially if it's my team.

If you're just looking for someone like a Dalton or Tannehill, nothing wrong with that.. but don't spend a first on him.

I agree with you 100%, except (so I guess it's not 100%) the bigger risk, imo, is the talent you pass up. Go back & look at all the 1st rounds since 2006... Blain Gabbert alone had the Jags pass on half a dozen probowl defensive players.

You mean players like Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson, and even guaranteed no-brainers like JeDeveon Clowney?

There is a risk with any player/position in the first round. Are the Texans really better off with a damaged Clowney (or no Clowney at all) than if they had drafted Bortles or Bridgewater? And I don't mean that convoluted argument about coaches being chained to first round quarterbacks. That is a coaching decision problem, not a draft risk.

Drafting quarterbacks high doesn't guarantee good results.
Yea I don't know how many times I've herd someone say we need to solve our QB problems by using our first round pick on a QB. It's just not automatic. Gots to be a prospect with real talent and potential in he NFL, no matter the round.
For example, for all we know the LSU QB taken in the 6th round by the Titans last year might end up being the best QB in last years Draft ?

Did either Bortles or Bridgewater look like those guys last season?

Bortles had worst QBR since Gabbert in 2011: 21.9 v. 19.1 (50 = average)

Bortles had worst PFF rating since Gabbert, too: -38.9 v. -47.0

Every other bad QB from 2011 to present faired better. Tebow, Sanchez, Weeden, Ponder, Geno, Manuel, Henne, etc. But a lot went wrong w/Jags.

Teddy, on the other hand, did quite well in Norv's offense.

You mean players like Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson, and even guaranteed no-brainers like JeDeveon Clowney?

There is a risk with any player/position in the first round. Are the Texans really better off with a damaged Clowney (or no Clowney at all) than if they had drafted Bortles or Bridgewater? And I don't mean that convoluted argument about coaches being chained to first round quarterbacks. That is a coaching decision problem, not a draft risk.

No doubt, there are some duds at all positions, my example though was Blaine Gabbert & the number of blue chips they missed out on because they grabbed him.

Then going back to the 2016 draft, even some of the best prospects haven't really panned out for their teams, Bradford, Stafford, Ryan.

As far as Clowney/Bridgewater... I personally don't care how good everyone else thinks a QB is. If my head coach isn't in love with him, I don't want him. He's doomed to failure from the get go.

No doubt in my mind had it been Bortles that fell, OB would have gone up to get him.

But yeah, I'm just as happy with Mallett & Savage, maybe happier, than I would have been with Bridgewater or Bortles. I don't think any of these guys are going to be top 10 QBs. Maybe, maybe they'll crack the top ten in yards once or twice, like Stafford. But like Stafford, they won't be a top 10 QB.

But remember, I'm the guy who wanted McCarron in the 2nd.

Teddy, on the other hand, did quite well in Norv's offense.

Norv's a great teacher. Had the two been swapped, I bet their results would have swapped as well. That Jed Fisch.... no way i'd have let him get his grimey hands on my brand new QB.

Have the Texans gotten better this offseason? No. Have they gotten worse? Yes. Unless Capspace is our next stud QB or WR I don't get what the Texans think they have done so far.

I will tell you who has gotten better, our 2015 opponents: Titans, Colts, Jags, Jets, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bills.

Yay we got a 7th round draft pick for Fitzpatrick :doot:. And?

We have lost 6 starters, AJ, Myers, Reed, Fitzpatrick, Lewis, Pickett. Yes, we lost some starters that were not very good, but they were better than the other guys we have, that's why they started.

We signed Moore, that was an upgrade. Why didn't we go after Orakpo? Are you kidding me? We only need OLB help. Clowney won't be ready (if ever) by the start of the season. So it will be Mercilus and.......John Simon?

But Red, what about the draft? Well what about it? We can't. We. Can. Not. Draft. We haven't had a good draft since 09. The coffers are void of talent. But this is the best group of guys O'Brien has ever coached.

Buckle up Texan fans, this factory of sadness is working overtime.

...We only need OLB help. Clowney won't be ready (if ever) by the start of the season. So it will be Mercilus and.......John Simon?...
Simon is not under contract; he's a free agent. The only player under contract available for SOLB is the recently re-signed Jeff Tarpinian. I want to address this with our #16 pick and have Eli Harold in mind. Benardrick McKinney would be another possibly and can play both inside and outside.

Have the Texans gotten better this offseason? No. Have they gotten worse? Yes. Unless Capspace is our next stud QB or WR I don't get what the Texans think they have done so far.

I will tell you who has gotten better, our 2015 opponents: Titans, Colts, Jags, Jets, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bills.

We have lost 6 starters, AJ, Myers, Reed, Fitzpatrick, Lewis, Pickett. Yes, we lost some starters that were not very good, but they were better than the other guys we have, that's why they started.

We signed Moore, that was an upgrade. Why didn't we go after Orakpo? Are you kidding me? We only need OLB help. Clowney won't be ready (if ever) by the start of the season. So it will be Mercilus and.......John Simon?

But Red, what about the draft? Well what about it? We can't. We. Can. Not. Draft. We haven't had a good draft since 09. The coffers are void of talent. But this is the best group of guys O'Brien has ever coached.

I get your point but it seems like you're adding a few names on there to bolster your argument.
First, losing Fitzpatrick was not a bad thing, it's a good thing, so there is a net positive.
Second, as far as I know we have not lost Picket or Lewis because they could still be re-signed.
Third, even if we don't re-sign Lewis, Moore is an upgrade, so lamenting the loss of Lewis when we upgraded the position is a bit disingenuous.
Fourth, Reed will not be difficult to replace. I'm sure there are a dozen or more average guys that could be signed for a minimal cost to fill his shoes.

I get your point but it seems like you're adding a few names on there to bolster your argument.
First, losing Fitzpatrick was not a bad thing, it's a good thing, so there is a net positive.
Second, as far as I know we have not lost Picket or Lewis because they could still be re-signed.
Third, even if we don't re-sign Lewis, Moore is an upgrade, so lamenting the loss of Lewis when we upgraded the position is a bit disingenuous.
Fourth, Reed will not be difficult to replace. I'm sure there are a dozen or more average guys that could be signed for a minimal cost to fill his shoes.

I did say Moore was an upgrade. Next paragraph down.

I know Reed was not a world beater but static air is taking his place at the moment. Orakpo was there for the taking. We have the cap space.

I was not a Fitzpatrick fan. I still say there are reasons why he started over Mallett. And why sign Hoyer when you already had Fitzpatrick?

I also think you are missing the over-all point of my post. I am not lamenting anything other than the fact we have steadily gotten worse. Simplest way I can put it, if one goes out another one of equal or greater value must come in. That hasn't happened. They have just been going out. We don't have any talent waiting in the wings because we can't draft talent.

I did say Moore was an upgrade. Next paragraph down.

I know Reed was not a world beater but static air is taking his place at the moment. Orakpo was there for the taking. We have the cap space.

I was not a Fitzpatrick fan. I still say there are reasons why he started over Mallett. And why sign Hoyer when you already had Fitzpatrick?

I also think you are missing the over-all point of my post. I am not lamenting anything other than the fact we have steadily gotten worse. Simplest way I can put it, if one goes out another one of equal or greater value must come in. That hasn't happened. They have just been going out. We don't have any talent waiting in the wings because we can't draft talent.

It all comes down to how you feel about the QB situation.

Your opinion is that we've taken a step back there, that even OB doesn't think Mallett is going to work out, and that Hoyer is... well... Hoyer.

And that's fine. I get it.

I don't share that opinion. I think OB wanted to wait until the break to bring Mallett in and I think Mallett was and is his guy. I think Mallett is a huge step up from Fitzpatrick and I think even Hoyer, as bad as he is, will be better than Fitzy in this offense.

So I'm feeling pretty positive. Last season, the problem was the QB. We've lost AJ and Myers and they're going to be hard to replace but the upgrade in the QB will help. On defense, I think we're better on the back end with Rahim and I don't think we've finished making moves to improve our front 7.

The bottom line is that, after the jobs everyone did last year, I trust OB on the offensive side and I trust RAC on the defensive side. I think we're going to be better this coming season than we were last season.

But... I know that's just my opinion and it holds just as much weight as yours, but no more than yours.

It all comes down to how you feel about the QB situation.

Your opinion is that we've taken a step back there, that even OB doesn't think Mallett is going to work out, and that Hoyer is... well... Hoyer.

And that's fine. I get it.

I don't share that opinion. I think OB wanted to wait until the break to bring Mallett in and I think Mallett was and is his guy. I think Mallett is a huge step up from Fitzpatrick and I think even Hoyer, as bad as he is, will be better than Fitzy in this offense.

So I'm feeling pretty positive. Last season, the problem was the QB. We've lost AJ and Myers and they're going to be hard to replace but the upgrade in the QB will help. On defense, I think we're better on the back end with Rahim and I don't think we've finished making moves to improve our front 7.

The bottom line is that, after the jobs everyone did last year, I trust OB on the offensive side and I trust RAC on the defensive side. I think we're going to be better this coming season than we were last season.

But... I know that's just my opinion and it holds just as much weight as yours, but no more than yours.

I hope I am wrong and you are right.

On defense, I think we're better on the back end with Rahim and I don't think we've finished making moves to improve our front 7.

The thing I like about Kareem, is that he's still getting better. I think his first couple of seasons here stunted his growth... same with Mercilus. Kareem's a "vet" now, but I think he's about to hit his stride.

& I'm hoping we'll see the year 1 to 2 jump we like to see here in Mercilus' fourth year.

2011 First pick J J Watt. That's a Good draft, even if nobody else pans out.

I wonder if it was Smith's idea to extend Schaub? I guess it really doesn't matter we (the fans) are stuck with him. Hopefully BOB (Who I think is an upgrade) and Gaine start running the Texans org.

My opinion, so far, the only difference between OB & Kubiak is that OB has better friends. He was able to land Vrabel which helped him land Crennel. If not for that previous connection I doubt we'd have landed a "known" experienced DC.

My opinion, so far, the only difference between OB & Kubiak is that OB has better friends. He was able to land Vrabel which helped him land Crennel. If not for that previous connection I doubt we'd have landed a "known" experienced DC.

That and the fact that his friend, Crennel, was actually unemployed and therefore available.

Whatever happened to that offensive coordinator position?

Whatever happened to that offensive coordinator position?

So far, O'Brien is the OC. I haven't heard even a rumor that he's giving that up. But to be fair, I think QB coach Godsey helps work up the game plans and helps call the plays on game day.

So far, O'Brien is the OC. I haven't heard even a rumor that he's giving that up. But to be fair, I think QB coach Godsey helps work up the game plans and helps call the plays on game day.

Hoyer alluded to Godsey calling plays. I'm pretty he called the plays in 2014, but he wasn't called the OC so idi0ts on the net wouldn't criticize the rookie unfairly. I expect him to be "promoted" before the season starts.

Hoyer alluded to Godsey calling plays. I'm pretty he called the plays in 2014, but he wasn't called the OC so idi0ts on the net wouldn't criticize the rookie unfairly. I expect him to be "promoted" before the season starts.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the same in 2015. OB will keep things as muddled as possible just to keep other teams guessing.

Hey Coach O'Brien, happy St Patricks Day to you: hope you have the opportunity to go out and hoist a few and celebrate !

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Texans bout 10 mil under cap after Turning Watt roster bonus into signing bonus.

OB said nobody knows when Clowney will return but he's hoping "sometime during camp."

OB praising Mariota and Winston after meeting with them at combine.

OB "I can't say enough about Marcus Mariota. I met him at the combine and was so impressed."

Texans have never won in Indy. Oh-for-13.

OB "Everybody in Houston knows the AFC South runs through Indianapolis. Until u can beat the Colts u won't win our division."

Texans offseason conditioning program 4-20. 2 phases. Rookie minicamp after draft. OTAs at end of May and early June. Minicamp June 16-18.

OB on key to good relationship with GM "communication. Rick and I meet every morning and before we go home. We communicate very well."

OB on Cushing "He really improved at the end of the season. He's one of the leaders of our team." Expects big things from Cush if healthy.

OB said Watt had 120 plays with tackle for loss, hit on QB, deflection, INT, forced fumble, fumble recovery.

OB wants to improve returns and improve depth at safety and OL, among other things.

OB on Nix playing with Wilfork and Watt "You'd b nuts not 2 use those guys as an example. Its a great opportunity for Nix."

OBrien on Andre Johnson "You don't replace a great player like that with one player."

OBrien says at AFC coaches breakfast Clowney coming off "best week of rehab."

Bill OBrien on what he wants to receive from NT Louis Nix 3 "One productive practice."

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Texans have never won in Indy. Oh-for-13.

OB "Everybody in Houston knows the AFC South runs through Indianapolis. Until u can beat the Colts u won't win our division."

I hope he doesn't put too much focus on that one game. There are 13 other games that are more important than that one for winning the division.

Back