Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans get some love from Dallas

Lurvinator11

Veteran
Tim Cowlishaw, writer for the Dallas Morning News, writes an article about the Texans entitled "Expect the Lombardi Trophy to return to Texas ... just not to the city Cowboys fans want"

When the Cowboys captured their first Lombardi Trophy, it came by way of New Orleans. That’s where Bob Lilly chased Bob Griese halfway back to his Miami home in Super Bowl VI.
The Cowboys’ second championship also came in New Orleans, the first Super Bowl played in the Superdome. That’s where they treated Denver’s Craig Morton, their former teammate and competitor to Roger Staubach, like a rag doll.
Five months from today, Super Bowl XLVII (that’s 47 if you’re not into ancient math this morning) will be held in New Orleans. And I can now reveal that, once again, the Lombardi Trophy is headed to the Lone Star State.
However, it’s going to skip the trip up I-45 and stop about 250 miles south of Valley Ranch.
Back in the ’70s, when the Cowboys were winning their first two titles, Bum Phillips tried to do the same in Houston. Phillips vowed to kick that playoff door in but couldn’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Championship games.
Those were the Oilers. These are the Texans.
Different franchises, different styles and, finally, different results.
With just average luck from the injury gods - Schaub, Foster and Johnson appeared in four games together last season - the Texans’ offense will be more fully prepared to win football games in the coming January.
And one more victory in February - over the Detroit Lions - will make Houston an NFL championship city for the first time.
Follow Tim Cowlishaw on Twitter at @TimCowlishaw.
Not the best written article, but a good one. Enjoyed the ties to the past. Good read, any thoughts?

Here's the link, just incase you wanted to read from the site:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...ece?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
so the detriot lions will make the superbowl ...????

that would be a good super bowl 2 teams that have never been there or won it

rating gods wont like it tho only the people in the central part of america will care the east coast and west coast might be like WUT ????

Maybe they will actually broadcast a Texans game in the Metroplex this season?

Nah.

The Lombardi Trophy will make its "return" to Texas? That would be true, if Dallas were actually in Texas...i have my doubts...

Tim Cowlishaw, writer for the Dallas Morning News, writes an article about the Texans...
Really there isn’t much to question about Schaub at all. Passer ratings may be overused at times, but they can reflect a quarterback’s consistency. There are two NFL quarterbacks who have had passer ratings of 92 or higher the last four years.
One is Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers. The other is Schaub.

Schaub has no shortage of help. At different times in the last two seasons, wide receiver Andre Johnson and running back Arian Foster have been regarded as the best at their position. And offense isn’t really even the Texans’ strength.

The Texans lost a tight 20-13 playoff game in Baltimore last January with third-string quarterback T.J. Yates trying to hold his own against the Ravens defense.

With just average luck from the injury gods — Schaub, Foster and Johnson appeared in four games together last season — the Texans’ offense will be more fully prepared to win football games in the coming January.

And one more victory in February — over the Detroit Lions — will make Houston an NFL championship city for the first time.

Interesting read, I'll say that. Detroit over Chicago & Green Bay?? I'm not seeing it.

I hope LeStar, KeShawn, & Graham consistently add to this offense. If they can, we'll really blow the top off this thing, for years to come.

The best NFL team is south down 45, not north, and it'll be that way for a few more years. It's nice those northern Texas yankees are beginning to see that, but it doesn't make me feel any better about them. :whip:

While I appreciate Cowlishaw's confidence and high praise, I am getting tired of the media's assertion that we "did it all" with our first two quarterbacks. I like TJ Yates. I think he did a fine job as a rookie in the situation he was put in. But let's be real here. Schaub, going 7-3 as the starter, got us to the playoffs. TJ won us one playoff game, which is a significant feat. However, in the regular season he went 2-3 as the starter. He did not get us to the playoffs.

Sounds to me like more and more sports writers are jumping on the bandwagon and sensationalizing what happened with the 2011 Texans.

Sorry, just wanted to clear that up.

edit: I want to say that obviously the Texans making the playoffs was a team effort, but if you were to put it on one quarterback it was Schaub that got us there.

Schaub, going 7-3 as the starter, got us to the playoffs. TJ won us one playoff game, which is a significant feat. However, in the regular season he went 2-3 as the starter. He did not get us to the playoffs.
Just to clear this up, Schaub didn't have his best season 2011. The defense was the key to the 7-3 record and playoff appearance. Regarding Yates 2-3 record as regular season starter, he played only on series in the season finale vs the Titans. The Texans won in Yates first 2 starts, clinching the AFC South in Week 14 with 3 games left. There was a distinct drop in intensity from the Texans following that clinching win.

So Yates did not "get" the Texans to the playoffs. He did his part. As did Schaub over the first 10 games. Clearly, Schaub is the superior QB, so it's not such a big leap to suggest that having him over the entire course of the season elevates the Texans into a Super Bowl contender. Which is what the author is predicting.

Maybe they will actually broadcast a Texans game in the Metroplex this season?

Nah.
I'll tell you what... Austin, a predominate Cowboy territory, showed the Houston Texans over the Cowboys for the third preseason game. Granted, they were contractually obligated to do so but I thought I'd never see the day. Of course, they showed the game on replay right after. Broadcasted on local television to boot. Late night talk shows couldn't have been too happy.

Just to clear this up, Schaub didn't have his best season 2011. The defense was the key to the 7-3 record and playoff appearance. Regarding Yates 2-3 record as regular season starter, he played only on series in the season finale vs the Titans. The Texans won in Yates first 2 starts, clinching the AFC South in Week 14 with 3 games left. There was a distinct drop in intensity from the Texans following that clinching win.

So Yates did not "get" the Texans to the playoffs. He did his part. As did Schaub over the first 10 games. Clearly, Schaub is the superior QB, so it's not such a big leap to suggest that having him over the entire course of the season elevates the Texans into a Super Bowl contender. Which is what the author is predicting.

I agree and that is why I added my edit to my original post stating that it was a team effort.

I am mainly referring to this part of his article:

Tim Cowlishaw said:
The Texans made their first postseason trip in January and, by inaugural standards, it was a successful one. They defeated Cincinnati before losing to Baltimore, and they did it all - qualifying for the playoffs, winning a game - without their first two quarterbacks.

We did not qualify for the playoffs without our first two quarterbacks. We did not technically have the division locked up until after that Cincinnati game that we won with Yates at QB, but much of the heavy lifting was done when Schaub was our quarterback. It seems that more and more sports writers are diminishing the role that Schaub played in our season last year.

I do agree that our running game and our defense were the main factors to our success and therefore to our first playoff appearance. Having said that, it's hard for me to believe that we would have won the division if we had Yates as the starter for all 16 games.

I'll tell you what... Austin, a predominate Cowboy territory, showed the Houston Texans over the Cowboys for the third preseason game. Granted, they were contractually obligated to do so but I thought I'd never see the day.
I went back and checked the TV maps at the506.com, and the stations in the Metroplex aired the Texans in 7 of the 11 weeks they were allowed to. That has to be an all time high. Maybe they're coming around? Or they're bandwagoners.

Edit: Just to remind everyone, we cannot post entire articles on the site. Just take an excerpt that you want to discuss, and allow the reader to follow the link.

I went back and checked the TV maps at the506.com, and the stations in the Metroplex aired the Texans in 7 of the 11 weeks they were allowed to. That has to be an all time high. Maybe they're coming around? Or they're bandwagoners.

The Texans were treated like the cowboys in Houston (televison coverage wise) until that 2-14 diaster. After that DFW went to the "best national game" format until this past season.

Edit: Just to remind everyone, we cannot post entire articles on the site. Just take an excerpt that you want to discuss, and allow the reader to follow the link.

Sorry, I will keep that in mind. I just felt the article was so short it could have passed on here. Also, I didn't want our fans to go to a cowboys site! haha

Lucky said:
Just to clear this up, Schaub didn't have his best season 2011.
Just wanted to chime in with a little perspective on Schaub.

Schaub may not have had his best season last year, but he was actually having a pretty good year. Maybe not in comparison to all the QBs that went nuts but still very good. Can't forget that our running game was much improved and, yes, the defense held the leads better. Both naturally reduce passing yards for a team that plays the clock.

His projected stats would have been:
3966 yards, 24 tds & 10 ints.
His passer rating would have been his 2nd highest at 96. His only big drop from previous years was comp % which dropped to 61% from around 66%.

He had 2 poor games imo. Raiders and Ravens. I looked back at the stats and Schaub had his worst rating against Cleveland. It's deceptive because he threw a pick and only had 119 yards. Foster and Tate each ran for over 100 in that game so take it for what it is...

It may not have been his best season but could easily been his second best.
Lucky said:
Clearly, Schaub is the superior QB, so it's not such a big leap to suggest that having him over the entire course of the season elevates the Texans into a Super Bowl contender. Which is what the author is predicting.
For sure. Let's hope it happens this year.

Now back to the OT.

A Dallas newspaper writing about our team....no way. Dont believe that one. Just kidding....when your good you get noticed.....even up in Dallas Fort Worth area.......

...Schaub had his worst rating against Cleveland. It's deceptive because he threw a pick and only had 119 yards. Foster and Tate each ran for over 100 in that game so take it for what it is...

This is why I'm not seeing a big stat year for Schaub. If our defense does improve & our running game can at least match last seasons, Schaub isn't going to be airing it out like he has had to in the past.

Matt looked really sharp in the preseason, like he's reading defenses like the back of his hand..... a little Manningesque... If he can start games like that in the regular season, then we may very well go all the way.

thought it should be mentioned that tim colishaw is regular on Around the Horn.. in case the name was ringing any bells.

0.jpg

If this isn't proof that this 'rivalry' is all in some Texans' fans heads than nothing is.

There is no doubt about that. Having lived in Dallas for a quite a while in the past, the only reaction I saw in the Cowboys fans towards the Texans were ignorance, pity, some sympathy, and lately some admiration. I remember some of them being confused as to why people in Houston hate the Cowboys so much whenever they played us in Houston.

As far as the rivalry, I think it is more about city vs city and the football team is just an embodiment of that. In general it seems most Houstonians hate Dallas and vice versa (and you can lump me in that group.....Fuq Dallas). Also, in reality you have to admit, Cowboy fans will be pissed as hell if the Texans steal their luster in the state.

You can already see this on social media sites. On Facebook there is an anti Texans group, filled mainly with Cowboys fans as they are tired of seeing us win and hate how our team is labeled "blue collar" and stuff like that. I saw that a while back, don't have the link or name now but I'm sure you can find it.

So while no, I don't think it is a huge legit football rivalry just yet between the Cowboys and Texans, I think you may have your head in the wrong area if you think there is nothing there at all and that it is totally irrelevant.

I will say though personally, my hatred for Dallas is minor compared to my loathing of the Titans and the state of Tennessee in general but mainly due to the Titans. I have a burning ember of hate that will never be extinguished for the Titans.

:htown2atx:

As far as the rivalry, I think it is more about city vs city and the football team is just an embodiment of that. In general it seems most Houstonians hate Dallas and vice versa (and you can lump me in that group.....Fuq Dallas). Also, in reality you have to admit, Cowboy fans will be pissed as hell if the Texans steal their luster in the state.

Is this a Houston thing? I spend a lot of time in Dallas and have many friends and relatives. Based on my experience, I can agree that "some" Houstonians hate Dallas, but I haven't seen the vice versa.

OMG, In reality if the Cowboy fans will be pissed about anything, it is because we have gone out and screwed ourselves out of another playoff birth behind foolishness which has nothing to do with how well or poorly the Texans season.

You can already see this on social media sites. On Facebook there is an anti Texans group, filled mainly with Cowboys fans as they are tired of seeing us win and hate how our team is labeled "blue collar" and stuff like that. I saw that a while back, don't have the link or name now but I'm sure you can find it.

Do you have a link? Although sounds like a possible site for teens.

So while no, I don't think it is a huge legit football rivalry just yet between the Cowboys and Texans, I think you may have your head in the wrong area if you think there is nothing there at all and that it is totally irrelevant.

I think it is more a Texans fans issue. Cowboys fans are pretty global, so the fan in Boise, Idaho, Mexico City, or London England probably won't be questioning why the Texans are winning and Cowboys losing.

I will say though personally, my hatred for Dallas is minor compared to my loathing of the Titans and the state of Tennessee in general but mainly due to the Titans. I have a burning ember of hate that will never be extinguished for the Titans.

I can see the loathing of the Titans because that has a direct impact on the Texans success in the division and playoffs and sounds like a good rivalry.

I only visit three football related sites (Scout Dallas Cowboys Ranch Report, Cowboys Zone, and Texans Talk), therefore I'm not privy to everything Texans or Cowboys related in cyberland. However, when the site is more about trash talk than football I move on.

I know there must be some links that we can skim through to verify this type of behavior is occurring, and would appreaciate a confirmation that in general Cowboys fans are fanning the flames with Texans fans.

It isn't that it is non-existent or irrelevant - it is that it is very lopsided. Dallas basically doesn't give a crap about Houston and Houston loathes Dallas. I grew up mostly in Dallas and until I got to Houston I had no idea there was a purported rivalry.

I can see the source of some of the animosity. My sister in law was born and raised in Houston but all she does is diss the Texans and root for the Cowboys including dressing her son in Cowboys gear. It pisses me off and I didn't grow up here. Having said that the anger is at her rather than the Cowboys. They didn't make her support them.

Houston Cowboys fans are the annoying ones. DFW Cowboys fans don't seem to have too much ill will towards the Texans. But there is something there. It's Houston vs Dallas after all. I've heard enough from DFW residents in my time living there to know it goes both ways. The two largest metros in the state are going to be like that. It's the same way in other areas of the country. A Texans-Cowboys game may not be Cowboys-Redskins, or Texans-Titans, but it certainly isn't a Texans-Eagles or Cowboys-Colts.

Houston Cowboys fans are the annoying ones. DFW Cowboys fans don't seem to have too much ill will towards the Texans. But there is something there. It's Houston vs Dallas after all. I've heard enough from DFW residents in my time living there to know it goes both ways. The two largest metros in the state are going to be like that. It's the same way in other areas of the country. A Texans-Cowboys game may not be Cowboys-Redskins, or Texans-Titans, but it certainly isn't a Texans-Eagles or Cowboys-Colts.

I agree with this. For the most part I think cowboy fans don't care about Houston or the Texans. But regardless how much respect the Texans get, they''ll be appalled if the Texans whip them in Dallas Stadium or whatever they call it.

If the Jets whip them at home, it's just another loss, can't win them all, blah, blah, blah....

If the TexAns beat them,"AHH HELL NO!!!"

There is no doubt about that. Having lived in Dallas for a quite a while in the past, the only reaction I saw in the Cowboys fans towards the Texans were ignorance, pity, some sympathy, and lately some admiration. I remember some of them being confused as to why people in Houston hate the Cowboys so much whenever they played us in Houston.

Well... as the saying goes, "the Cowboys; either love 'em or hate 'em." So since I don't "love 'em" there's only one option left open.
:D

Also the ones here in Austin. I keep to myself usually and have had random Cowboys fans at bars come up drunk to me trying to start $hit so they can act big in front of their lady. I have a daughter and a $hitty ex so me beating someone nearly to death would wreck my custody so I just walk away but it pisses me off none the less.

As some said in response, there is something there, it's not something made up but may be more prevalent outside DFW it sounds like.

You made me go look

https://www.facebook.com/pages/People-who-hate-the-Houston-Texans/178159857474

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Hate-The-Houston-Texans/112435808854187

Houston Cowboys fans are the annoying ones. DFW Cowboys fans don't seem to have too much ill will towards the Texans.

That has been my experience. Bandwagon/frontrunner/gloryhunter fans annoy the **** out of me, and it wouldn't surprise me if many of those Houston Cowboys fans weren't also Yankees and Lakers fans.

Back