Texans get some love from Dallas

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Lurvinator11, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

Tim Cowlishaw, writer for the Dallas Morning News, writes an article about the Texans entitled "Expect the Lombardi Trophy to return to Texas ... just not to the city Cowboys fans want"

Not the best written article, but a good one. Enjoyed the ties to the past. Good read, any thoughts?

Here's the link, just incase you wanted to read from the site:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...ece?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  2. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Great find. Repped.

3. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

so the detriot lions will make the superbowl ...????

that would be a good super bowl 2 teams that have never been there or won it

rating gods wont like it tho only the people in the central part of america will care the east coast and west coast might be like WUT ????

4. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

5. TexansBlood

TexansBlood The CUSH!

Great read. Im not gonna lie, i teared up.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Maybe they will actually broadcast a Texans game in the Metroplex this season?

Nah.

7. RCPM

RCPM DILLIGAF

**** Dallas!

8. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Enjoyed the article. And dateline: Dallas. I guess not every writer is a :homer:.

9. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

The Lombardi Trophy will make its "return" to Texas? That would be true, if Dallas were actually in Texas...i have my doubts...

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Interesting read, I'll say that. Detroit over Chicago & Green Bay?? I'm not seeing it.

I hope LeStar, KeShawn, & Graham consistently add to this offense. If they can, we'll really blow the top off this thing, for years to come.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The best NFL team is south down 45, not north, and it'll be that way for a few more years. It's nice those northern Texas yankees are beginning to see that, but it doesn't make me feel any better about them. :whip:

12. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

While I appreciate Cowlishaw's confidence and high praise, I am getting tired of the media's assertion that we "did it all" with our first two quarterbacks. I like TJ Yates. I think he did a fine job as a rookie in the situation he was put in. But let's be real here. Schaub, going 7-3 as the starter, got us to the playoffs. TJ won us one playoff game, which is a significant feat. However, in the regular season he went 2-3 as the starter. He did not get us to the playoffs.

Sounds to me like more and more sports writers are jumping on the bandwagon and sensationalizing what happened with the 2011 Texans.

Sorry, just wanted to clear that up.

edit: I want to say that obviously the Texans making the playoffs was a team effort, but if you were to put it on one quarterback it was Schaub that got us there.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Just to clear this up, Schaub didn't have his best season 2011. The defense was the key to the 7-3 record and playoff appearance. Regarding Yates 2-3 record as regular season starter, he played only on series in the season finale vs the Titans. The Texans won in Yates first 2 starts, clinching the AFC South in Week 14 with 3 games left. There was a distinct drop in intensity from the Texans following that clinching win.

So Yates did not "get" the Texans to the playoffs. He did his part. As did Schaub over the first 10 games. Clearly, Schaub is the superior QB, so it's not such a big leap to suggest that having him over the entire course of the season elevates the Texans into a Super Bowl contender. Which is what the author is predicting.

14. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I'll tell you what... Austin, a predominate Cowboy territory, showed the Houston Texans over the Cowboys for the third preseason game. Granted, they were contractually obligated to do so but I thought I'd never see the day. Of course, they showed the game on replay right after. Broadcasted on local television to boot. Late night talk shows couldn't have been too happy.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I agree and that is why I added my edit to my original post stating that it was a team effort.

I am mainly referring to this part of his article:

We did not qualify for the playoffs without our first two quarterbacks. We did not technically have the division locked up until after that Cincinnati game that we won with Yates at QB, but much of the heavy lifting was done when Schaub was our quarterback. It seems that more and more sports writers are diminishing the role that Schaub played in our season last year.

I do agree that our running game and our defense were the main factors to our success and therefore to our first playoff appearance. Having said that, it's hard for me to believe that we would have won the division if we had Yates as the starter for all 16 games.

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I went back and checked the TV maps at the506.com, and the stations in the Metroplex aired the Texans in 7 of the 11 weeks they were allowed to. That has to be an all time high. Maybe they're coming around? Or they're bandwagoners.

Edit: Just to remind everyone, we cannot post entire articles on the site. Just take an excerpt that you want to discuss, and allow the reader to follow the link.

17. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The Texans were treated like the cowboys in Houston (televison coverage wise) until that 2-14 diaster. After that DFW went to the "best national game" format until this past season.

18. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

Sorry, I will keep that in mind. I just felt the article was so short it could have passed on here. Also, I didn't want our fans to go to a cowboys site! haha

19. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Just wanted to chime in with a little perspective on Schaub.

Schaub may not have had his best season last year, but he was actually having a pretty good year. Maybe not in comparison to all the QBs that went nuts but still very good. Can't forget that our running game was much improved and, yes, the defense held the leads better. Both naturally reduce passing yards for a team that plays the clock.

His projected stats would have been:
    3966 yards, 24 tds & 10 ints.
    His passer rating would have been his 2nd highest at 96. His only big drop from previous years was comp % which dropped to 61% from around 66%.

He had 2 poor games imo. Raiders and Ravens. I looked back at the stats and Schaub had his worst rating against Cleveland. It's deceptive because he threw a pick and only had 119 yards. Foster and Tate each ran for over 100 in that game so take it for what it is...

It may not have been his best season but could easily been his second best.
    For sure. Let's hope it happens this year.

Now back to the OT.

20. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

A Dallas newspaper writing about our team....no way. Dont believe that one. Just kidding....when your good you get noticed.....even up in Dallas Fort Worth area.......