Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans/Combine news dump

That's not always true.

A good CB can read the route and get his hips turned quickly so he has a lead on the WR. Faggins could run a 4.2 and he would still get beat deep.

In high school, my brother was a 5-6 CB who ran the 40 in 4.65 but he covered Dez Bryant a whole game without giving up a completion. They must have thrown deep on him at least six times.

How come Dez couldn't get by him with that 4.4 speed?

CB is an instinct position. If you have instinct and technique then speed is less important. You can still get beat deep if you misread a route, but that happens to you when you are fast anyway.

Problem is that reports are coming out of Indy that Jenkins might not have the technique either.

http://www.gbnreport.com/combineblog.html

12:50 PM): Very indecisive, sloppy footwork by Jenkins in change-of-direction drill.

A CB needs more quickness than straightline speed. Shoot, that can actually be said for most all positions.

Scouts also told LZ that Antoine Cason wasn't a 1st round pick, that he was a mid 2nd AT BEST. Well he got drafted #27 overall, that'd be the 1st round. On top of that he followed it up with a great rookie season. 1st in total tackles and T-3rd with 2 interceptions, returned one for a TD, 1 forced fumble, 7 pass deflections.

Sometimes the Thorpe Award winner can actually be a good DB. See the last three years: Aaron Ross, Antoine Cason and.... Malcolm Jenkins.

I think Jenkins tackles fine for a CB but he's going to have to work on it if someone wants to switch him to FS. The guy isn't a one year wonder, he's a proven senior CB that has lots of experience. I think he'd fit pretty well on our team with Reeves, Jenkins, Dunta, Bennett and Molden.

everything is falling into place for the Texans :heh:

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Johnson had an impressive workout and if the FA can get a pulse on where hishead is at he could be a good pick @15.

Two past Cbs stand out as reminders of how Jenkins is getting burned ATM Leon hall and Cason. Both stayed for their senoir years and were drilled into the ground on despite good combines. I have a feeling Malcolm will show better at his Pro day if not be a great pick @15.

Can anyone fill me in on the scouting profile for Cavaliers Kevin Ogletree (WR) and Cedric Pearman (RB)? I watched both of them here at UVa, and they both carried our offense. Just curious if they are likely to get drafted, and if so, where.

Pearman may be someone we could look at because he comes from a pro style offense and can return kicks as well

I agree with you somewhat...The lack of speed can be made up for with good instincts and quickness, but if you are noticeably slower than your defender then sometimes you are just gonna get beat no matter how good the instincts.

A slow corner is going to have a really tough go of it trying to handle a blazing fast WR one on one on a 9....Especially if he's up to press and doesn't get a good jam...

A slow corner has just as much chance as a fast corner if he has better technique and instincts.

And it would be a coaching mistake to make a slow CB jam a guy unless it is in goal line situations. That wouldn't be the corner's fault if his coach is putting him in a position where he is more susceptible to failure.

Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses. Speed can cover up a weakness in technique, but it happens vice versa as well.

Problem is that reports are coming out of Indy that Jenkins might not have the technique either.

http://www.gbnreport.com/combineblog.html

Well I don't have the luxury of seeing the drills, but I have seen plenty of his games.

I have thought for a long time that he was a very interesting prospect so when OSU is on TV and they are on defense, I study him. I don't watch the ball. I watch him.

I think he checks out. I've seen him play numerous times and his instincts are top notch and as far as I could tell, so was his technique.

Well I don't have the luxury of seeing the drills, but I have seen plenty of his games.

I have thought for a long time that he was a very interesting prospect so when OSU is on TV and they are on defense, I study him. I don't watch the ball. I watch him.

I think he checks out. I've seen him play numerous times and his instincts are top notch and as far as I could tell, so was his technique.

I'm not convinced he's every been really tested at OSU, simply because he plays maybe 1 or 2 good passing teams a year; and Ohio St tends to lose those games.

I'm suspect of all Big Ten CBs, for the same reasons. Who throws the ball all that well in that conference?

I'm not convinced he's every been really tested at OSU, simply because he plays maybe 1 or 2 good passing teams a year; and Ohio St tends to lose those games.

I'm suspect of all Big Ten CBs, for the same reasons. Who throws the ball all that well in that conference?

Michigan has always thrown it well up until this year. Remember Chad Henne & Braylon Edwards?

Purdue airs it out all day long. It's their defense that can't keep them in games.

Minnesota has started throwing the ball a bunch.

Hell, when they played us (Texas) we beat Donald Washington's ass all day. I don't think we threw on Jenkins once because there was no reason to.

He would line up on Shipley and we would throw to Cosby. Then he would move to Cosby and we would hit Shipley.

The one game where I think there is legitimate concern is against USC this year I think Damien Williams beat him deep once for a TD.

Teams will rely on film and the interviews more than the drills at the combine to make their decisions. So unless a player interviews badly the combine isnt going to drop anyone more than a few spots.

Deion Sanders breaking down Alphonso Smith at the combine/Senior Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ee9be7

I think Smith has the best feel for playing cornerback by far of any player in this draft. He just lacks size and elite speed. He showed great and I mean great anticipation in every single game that I watched of him. I probably watched 4 WF games per year the last 2 years, which is another reason why I have had Aaron Curry at the top of my board since mid season (excluding Sam Bradford).

Can anyone fill me in on the scouting profile for Cavaliers Kevin Ogletree (WR) and Cedric Pearman (RB)? I watched both of them here at UVa, and they both carried our offense. Just curious if they are likely to get drafted, and if so, where.

Pearman may be someone we could look at because he comes from a pro style offense and can return kicks as well

I don't know much about Ogletreee but Pearman from my point of view was always a good runner. The only thing that makes me double take on him is that he ran behind stellar offensive lines in his time at Virginia.

The track wasn't slow for the WR's:brando:

If it walks like a duck...quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. This is a very lean class of corners. Taking the best of the bunch is nothing to get to excited about. Which means....Just like with Ahmad Carrol a few dratfs ago, some will reach for marginal. Hope it isn't the Texans.

Another thing I though. Just like the Wrs and DE's, I'm wondering if this isn't a function of college coaches tring to feed the spread offences with tallent ?

The best athletes go to the offensive side of the ball.

If it walks like a duck...quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. This is a very lean class of corners. Taking the best of the bunch is nothing to get to excited about. Which means....Just like with Ahmad Carrol a few dratfs ago, some will reach for marginal. Hope it isn't the Texans.

Another thing I though. Just like the Wrs and DE's, I'm wondering if this isn't a function of college coaches tring to feed the spread offences with tallent ?

I think this class is not lean, but lacking in great prospects. There are good prospects just not really any great ones.

I've seen Jenkins play many times and I can't help but be only mildly impressed. While I think he is a good player and certainly a first round talent, he is not the kind of guy I expect to be the #1 corner.

Vontae Davis has alot of potential and he has proven to be capable of making plays but what are you really getting with him? He is more about potential than making an immediate impact.

Alphonso Smith I really like though. I think he is the class of this draft at corner, but you will see him drop just a bit because of size and not elite speed. He has good speed, it is just not great. His ball skills and anticipation in the pass game is second to none in this draft. He is what you would call a ballhawk.

D.J. Moore is interesting but not a first rounder IMO.

After that you have some decent 3-5 round prospects.

Well we got 32 teams....coveting four guys by your count...I'm sure there are more. The point being when there is limited supply there will be craziness. And reaching for 4.5 corners ....is a little bit crazy to me. I don't care what kind of technique they have.

I think this class is not lean, but lacking in great prospects. There are good prospects just not really any great ones.

I've seen Jenkins play many times and I can't help but be only mildly impressed. While I think he is a good player and certainly a first round talent, he is not the kind of guy I expect to be the #1 corner.

Vontae Davis has alot of potential and he has proven to be capable of making plays but what are you really getting with him? He is more about potential than making an immediate impact.

Alphonso Smith I really like though. I think he is the class of this draft at corner, but you will see him drop just a bit because of size and not elite speed. He has good speed, it is just not great. His ball skills and anticipation in the pass game is second to none in this draft. He is what you would call a ballhawk.

You guys need to pay more attention to Darius Butler. If he last till our second pick I would jump all over him. Same goes for Macho Harris.

Well we got 32 teams....coveting four guys by your count...I'm sure there are more. The point being when there is limited supply there will be craziness. And reaching for 4.5 corners ....is a little bit crazy to me. I don't care what kind of technique they have.

The 1-2 round guys are limited, but after that you have some decent players.

You guys need to pay more attention to Darius Butler. If he last till our second pick I would jump all over him. Same goes for Macho Harris.

I like Victor Harris in the 3rd round alot.

Well I haven't looked it up other than to take notice as to has been dumped because of cap. I'm assuming the need is greater than supply here. What I saw today is there is a boat load of safety prospects and ony a hand full of guys who I think will be locked and loaded by September to paly corner back against the Steve Smith's, Andre Johnon's and Randy Moss' of the NFL world.
If you need one they will pull the trigger early. And prey to the football Gauds they haven't just latched onto another Amahd Carrol.

I definately like Smith the most for the Texans. Jenkins will be a better corner in the right system, but the Texans aren't running it.

Smith also has the distinction of running the fastest of all the potential 1st round corners.

Jenkins 4.53
A.Smith 4.45
Moore 5.52
Davis 4.49
S.Smith 4.52

I was wondering if they showed anything about him at the combine and how he looked if anyone saw him. I didn't get to see anything the last five days as I was in the hospital having surgery. I think he could make a great back up for OD.

I was wondering if they showed anything about him at the combine and how he looked if anyone saw him. I didn't get to see anything the last five days as I was in the hospital having surgery. I think he could make a great back up for OD.

I like Casey. He has skills, but his age will drop him a little bit.

I didn't get to see the combine drills so many someone can answer that question for both of us.

I like Casey. He has skills, but his age will drop him a little bit.

I didn't get to see the combine drills so many someone can answer that question for both of us.

I've heard him talked up to the second round, and I also read that he was said to be the best pure athlete at the draft. Crazy, huh?

I've heard him talked up to the second round, and I also read that he was said to be the best pure athlete at the draft. Crazy, huh?

He is a great prospect and if he wasn't 24 years old (25 by the time the regular season starts) then he would be a 1st rounder.

Found this little tidbit on him:

Electing to turn pro after only two seasons with the Owls, Casey is a rare all-around athlete who was a seventh-round pick by the Chicago White Sox out of high school and spent three years in their farm system before retiring from baseball and signing with Rice.

Once with the Owls, it didn't take long for the former quarterback to establish himself as a dominant weapon at various positions, earning consensus Conference USA Freshman accolades and honorable mention all-conference honors from league coaches. Casey lined up at seven different positions in one game in 2007, and has played everything from defensive end to safety to quarterback to wide receiver.

Playing primarily at wide receiver in 2008, Casey was dominant in Rice's spread attack; he finished second in the country with 111 receptions for 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns. For some, Casey will be characterized as a Matt Jones-like 'tweener. But also like Jones, Casey's unique upside could land him a stunningly high draft selection come April, even if he'll be turning 25 during his rookie season. Had an arm span of 30 5/8 inches and a hand span of 9 1/2 inches at the combine.

-Bolded for emphasis by me.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/james-casey?id=71247

Casey did very well. I think some people were expecting him to run a little faster, but overall I think all the analysts believe he will be a stud. Personally I would love to have him on the Texans.

I think Smith has the best feel for playing cornerback by far of any player in this draft. He just lacks size and elite speed. He showed great and I mean great anticipation in every single game that I watched of him. I probably watched 4 WF games per year the last 2 years, which is another reason why I have had Aaron Curry at the top of my board since mid season (excluding Sam Bradford).

I prefer DJ Moore a little more over Alphonso.

Aaron Curry, to me, lacks that certain special something, to become a great player in the NFL. (I may very well be wrong, but that is how I see it.)

Another thing I though. Just like the Wrs and DE's, I'm wondering if this isn't a function of college coaches tring to feed the spread offenses with talent ?

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/588382.html

Scouting college players today is difficult because of where the college game has gone,‘ said Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert. You can see this guy is athletic, this guy is fast, this guy has good hands. But as far as technique goes, it's not the same.

What has gotten a lot more difficult on the evaluation side is the proliferation of the spread offense,‘ said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock. And what that means to evaluating at this level is it's not just quarterbacks. It's the running backs. Their first step is lateral, crossing the quarterbacks' faces instead of downhill. It's the tight end, who's never in line as a blocker. It's the wide receiver that doesn't run a route tree. It's every position. It's the left tackle. Jason Smith [the Baylor tackle] was in a two-point stance 98 percent of the time.

You always are making a projection from college to pros,‘ Modrak said. Those are ingredients that are going into it now that might be different.‘

Last edited:
NFL | Cook popular at NFL Combine
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:23:45 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports South Carolina TE Jared Cook said he had 22 formal interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Arizona Cardinals, the Baltimore Ravens, the Detroit Lions, the Houston Texans, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Tennessee Titans and the Seattle Seahawks were among the teams that interviewed Cook.

http://kffl.com

Jason Cook, FB, OleMiss.

Here are some unofficial numbers Jason Cook's workout at Ole Miss' Pro Day :

Height: 5'11 3/4"

Weight 241

Vertical: 33.5

Broad: 9' 6"

40 Yd: 4.63 & 4.71

Bench: 22 reps

20 Yard: 4.23-4.25

DD.comment: Teams that talked to him and showed significant interest are New Orleans, Jacksonville, Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and Houston. Scouts said he looked fluid in drills and caught the ball very well. Several of those teams we listed said they are going to "fight like hell" to draft him... DD.com is currently projecting Jason as a 5th to 6th round pick, which isn't bad for a fullback.

From NewEraScouting:

Houston Texans

Cody Brown, DE, Connecticut FI
Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State I
Nic Harris, S/LB, Oklahoma I
Clay Matthews, OLB, USC I
Mohammed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia I
William Moore, FS, Missouri I
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State I
Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest I
Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma I
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State I

From NewEraScouting:

Houston Texans

Cody Brown, DE, Connecticut FI
Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State I
Nic Harris, S/LB, Oklahoma I
Clay Matthews, OLB, USC I
Mohammed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia I
William Moore, FS, Missouri I
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State I
Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest I
Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma I
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State I

Notes:

I - Spoke to prospect at All Star Game
FI - Formal interview done at Combine

From kffl.com

NFL | H. Johnson has spoken with several teams
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:31:44 -0800

During his press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine Thursday, Feb. 19, Louisiana State OG Herman Johnson measured in at 6-foot-7 and 364 pounds. Johnson said he has spoken with the Houston Texans, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Miami Dolphins, the New York Jets and the Buffalo Bills. Johnson, who weighed 385 pounds at the end of the college season, said his target weight is about 350 or 355 pounds.

From kffl.com

NFL | H. Johnson has spoken with several teams
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:31:44 -0800

During his press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine Thursday, Feb. 19, Louisiana State OG Herman Johnson measured in at 6-foot-7 and 364 pounds. Johnson said he has spoken with the Houston Texans, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Miami Dolphins, the New York Jets and the Buffalo Bills. Johnson, who weighed 385 pounds at the end of the college season, said his target weight is about 350 or 355 pounds.

How would he fit in our O?

How would he fit in our O?

Never watched tape on him analysis-wise, but I met him at a party when I visited LSU last spring, the man is an absolute giant, and his hands are like tennis rackets. Not sure how he'd fit in our system, maybe if he does get down to that target weight, but he would certainly help bulk up our interior.

Never watched tape on him analysis-wise, but I met him at a party when I visited LSU last spring, the man is an absolute giant, and his hands are like tennis rackets. Not sure how he'd fit in our system, maybe if he does get down to that target weight, but he would certainly help bulk up our interior.

He could be our RT/RG. At the same time. Huge.

Stock Rising For Andre Brown
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 26, 2009, 8:06 p.m.
Speedy North Carolina State running back Andre Brown is scheduled to visit the San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, New England Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has also conducted a private workout with the Patriots.

The 6′0, 224-pounder registered a hand-timed 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine with an official time of 4.47.

“I’m hearing I could go in the second or third round,” Brown told us in a telephone interview. “My workouts and my performance at the Senior Bowl have really helped me a lot. … I’m an old-fashioned guy. I love Walter Payton, how hard he ran. I’m a big back that has speed. I’m an every-down type of back.”

At the combine, Brown posted a 37-inch vertical leap and bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times. He was the fourth-fastest running back at the combine.

A former Parade Magazine All-American in high school, Brown rushed for 2,403 career yards and 21 touchdowns, averaging 4.8 yards per carry. He has recovered from a broken left foot that hampered him in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Back