Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

so? A QB with 75 starts and 3 wins with a combined 2+ TD's combined with 201+ yards passing in the same game. This happened 3 times in 75 games. Three. I'll go with the Schaub.

Well if you put it that way................................

The only thing Carr accomplished was making a baffoon out of himself and holding the Texans back for five long years. We paid him dearly for nothing in return but grief and disappointment.
Good Riddance! Don't let the door hit ya'...

buffoon is the correct spelling you're looking for.

7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike. You are a Carr fan and not happy. I have never liked Carr and am ESTATIC that we have a new QB. That's just how it goes.

I understand diverse opinions. What I don't understand is how anyone can compare Matt Schaub to Steve Young. Does seem at least the slightest, tiniest bit excessive? I know you are a Carr hater...but doesn't this reach just a tad bit too far?

BTW. My post had nothing to do with Carr. It was about a deal we made for a three year backup quarterback who has rather "pedestrian" stats and giving up TWO second round picks for him. That is excessive. Even if we had Steve Young on our roster. Which of course we do in the face of Sage Rosenfelds! :joker:

I am weighing in at probably a good trade.

Sooooo.....

Will anyone give us their second round for our fourth and Carr??

Will Atlanta grab Landry with the 8'th pick??

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike.

I understand diverse opinions. What I don't understand is how anyone can compare Matt Schaub to Steve Young. Does seem at least the slightest, tiniest bit excessive? I know you are a Carr hater...but doesn't this reach just a tad bit too far?
Sure, but I see a ton of dumb things posted here...it's par for the course on message boards. We don't give the wonderlic test in order to post, and the masses are well....the masses.

I was ok WHILE reading and seeing 2nd round, but as I read on and saw the #8-#10 slide, the frown and beard stroke happened.

How worried should we be about moving from #8-#10 with who might be available now from CB to RB, or just period for what we need or want?

Just looked at the Falcons forums, and they are definately all laughing their asses off at us... haha... this sucks

Geez, I try to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt on these things, but I have to say that the price on this deal makes me say bleh.

I can't think of too many quarterbacks in the league I'd like to switch spots in the first, give up a second rounder this year and next. Much less a guy who hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove it in the league.

It seems to me that people tend to overvalue potential and undervalue experience. You know, like in Let's Make a Deal--taking the mystery box instead of the box that you know what you have.

We can talk about the point chart as to the draft, but I don't think the point chart really values players sufficiently from the Texans perspective. For a team with as many needs as the Texans, each pick really really matters. Rookies are more likely to start on a team with few playmakers.

Just as an example, would you give up 2 DeMeco Ryans for Matt Schaub? Theoretically, that's what we are doing.

The only way you do that is if you really believe that Matt Schaub is The Answer. The key to the lock. I guess that is what they are saying, but of course, they also picked up David Carr's three year bonus, made Rosenfels sit most of the year, and passed up the entirety of the 2006 QB draft, and had no idea from training camp that the running back situation was going to be that inept.

I think I would have rather given up a 4th and had Plummer and Sage to be honest. At least we would know what we had, and wouldn't have to work some sort of hinky deal under the time pressure that Carr has to go.

I've read the entire thread, and I've heard about his college exploits and limited NFL career, but please for the love that all is holy, can someone give me the perfect argument of why Matt Schaub is The Answer???? Especially those of you who are high on this deal despite the price of it.

I need someone to make me feel better about it. (In comparison, I was way more okay with Williams instead of Bush thing instead of Schaub eating draft picks).

Please help. Thanks.

Sure, but I see a ton of dumb things posted here...it's par for the course on message boards. We don't give the wonderlic test in order to post, and the masses are well....the masses.

We resent that! The fact is, we just upgraded to somebody who invokes steve young comparisons(however misguided) from somebody who couldn't be steve young's waterboy. Im celebrating the return of OPTIMISM about the upcoming season.....for all the fans mourning the loss of David Carr's guaranteed job......door is in california. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

Um...........no.
Schaub is NOT Leinart.
For the record, Schaub is not the second coming of Steve Young.
The peaks and valleys of some of the posters on this site are unreal.

2 starts in three years. 6-6 TD/INT ratio. Which absolutely stinks.
Drop two spots in the first round...ok. A second rounder THIS year AND NEXT year too? Holy overpriced Batman! That is overpaying like no one's business. This team has FAR to many other need areas to spend TWO years without a second rounder. Somewhere in that bag of tricks, the front office had better have a second rounder coming out of the Carr deal, because that just reeks.

..and those two starts?...LOSSES
But it really doesn't matter who we get, we won't like him and he won't stay long unless he has some Texan in him. People who don't like DC can't really say it is because he is a crappy QB. He hasn't won too much but he has argueably the same college resume as Peyton, or the Schoub for that matter. They just don't like him because he dosen't have "IT" i.e. he is not one of us. Carlos Lee is one of us, we saw him at the rodeo, and no one whined about him missing practice to be at the cow show. We all love VY, not because of his cannon arm or pin point accuracy but because he is a TEXAN. Nobody ever cries about passing over Bush we are all over that now, who cares. But we sell out to see VY.... Lately, everyone wants to get Peterson, why? Don't we have enough Backs? Doesn't matter, he's a Texan. No one calls the line out for its crappy play, because we have Texans there. So come on in Matt, if you don't win your name will be on the soap in two years as the "Fire _____ Club" movement continues.....

... so? :P

Why wouldn't Schaub wear the #8 he wore in Atlanta? It will be vacant. I don't think he should. As Pedro Cerrano might say:

"Dat number, it is sick. #8 I like it very much. I ask Jobu to take fear from number 8. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

262483799_s.jpg

Look at my name I WAS a Carr fan, I supported the guy beyond end, but its time to move on. Also, all you were trying to do was call out somebody that you thought wasnt a Carr fan, (but "was" a Carr fan) and said he couldn't make it to his fridge......so don't try to act high and mighty when it backfires

P.S. a blind man with a gifted arm would of found AJ in the back of the endzone in the last 10 games

We don't need a timeline of when you actually got off the Carr bandwagon. Yeah I figured out you WERE a fan from your name, but I figured out you got off that bandwagon when you began talking out of your arse. I also recognize that we need to move on...I can say it without dumb hyperboles like "even I/blind man could have done a better job!" however. I don't see why you have to drag a blind man down to your level to make your argument. *chuckle*

PS. I may give the blind man a benefit of the doubt, bacause he has a gifted arm and all that...but on the other hand, if one couldn't make it to the Olympics in boxing (just because a little boo boo to the hand)...I dunno man ...LOL...don't think he would have the mental fortitude to make it in the NFL...LOL

...say, now I'm beginning to doubt the fridge test again...not too sure about you...LOL

Geez, I try to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt on these things, but I have to say that the price on this deal makes me say bleh.

I can't think of too many quarterbacks in the league I'd like to switch spots in the first, give up a second rounder this year and next. Much less a guy who hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove it in the league.

It seems to me that people tend to overvalue potential and undervalue experience. You know, like in Let's Make a Deal--taking the mystery box instead of the box that you know what you have.

We can talk about the point chart as to the draft, but I don't think the point chart really values players sufficiently from the Texans perspective. For a team with as many needs as the Texans, each pick really really matters. Rookies are more likely to start on a team with few playmakers.

Just as an example, would you give up 2 DeMeco Ryans for Matt Schaub? Theoretically, that's what we are doing.

The only way you do that is if you really believe that Matt Schaub is The Answer. The key to the lock. I guess that is what they are saying, but of course, they also picked up David Carr's three year bonus, made Rosenfels sit most of the year, and passed up the entirety of the 2006 QB draft, and had no idea from training camp that the running back situation was going to be that inept.

I think I would have rather given up a 4th and had Plummer and Sage to be honest. At least we would know what we had, and wouldn't have to work some sort of hinky deal under the time pressure that Carr has to go.

I've read the entire thread, and I've heard about his college exploits and limited NFL career, but please for the love that all is holy, can someone give me the perfect argument of why Matt Schaub is The Answer???? Especially those of you who are high on this deal despite the price of it.

I need someone to make me feel better about it. (In comparison, I was way more okay with Williams instead of Bush thing instead of Schaub eating draft picks).

Please help. Thanks.

I will take a stab at it. WARNING....Casserly-esque logic bomb coming.

We needed a quarterback. This is pretty much a given if your being rational. We needed one so bad we were getting brady quinn projections at #8. I think its fair to say we would have spent a high round (1-3rd) pick on a quarterback this year. Call it a 2nd, and there is the 2nd this year that we traded for him. We draft Matt Schaub, Qb, Virginia with our #2 pick this year. Okay, dropping 2 spots in this draft, probably immaterial.....i doubt anybody amazing is going to fall to the 8 pick....probably no landry, or peterson, or anderson, or adams....just mid grade talent. No biggy. In reality, we gave up a 2nd next year for a qb who had a 1st and 3rd round tender on him. Dig up a little tape, and watch the start Schaub had against a very very good patriots defense. We filled a hole, can possibly mitigate cost with a carr trade, can broaden our horizons for targets in this draft, and got a quarterback commonly considered to have great potential.

Please help. Thanks.

I am right with you in your skepticism. The thing that is disappointing is that we have now hurt ourselves with Carr. We are now definitely have to move Carr and teams will be able to have their way with us in those negotiations. We were moving him all along...fine. But now, we aren't going to get what we were going to get before Schaub came to town. I don't understand the timing and I don't understand paying such a steep price.

Why wouldn't Schaub wear the #8 he wore in Atlanta? It will be vacant. I don't think he should. As Pedro Cerrano might say:

"Dat number, it is sick. #8 I like it very much. I ask Jobu to take fear from number 8. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

262483799_s.jpg

Up yours Jobu!!!! HAHA! Now a bats gonna hit me in the head.

All I can say in their defense is:

1) The Texans may have drafted a QB with the 2nd round pick.
2) The 2nd round pick this year is 6 slots down from last year's. DeMeco was a steal and bargains like that can't really be counted on.
3) The 2nd round pick next year is hopefully going to be a mid-to-late rounder.

I'm not sold on those arguments, but they are the best I could proffer.

We get the same player at 10 as we do at 8....no way that there is only 2 guys we like at 8.

No way we find a starting QB next year with our second round pick...its a weak year for QB's. They can't fix last years GIGANTIC snafu by re-upping Carr but at least we have some hope that Shaub can throw 25+ TD passes based on his short game time looks.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and all the other valuable starters are not on the trading block. The scarcity of good QB's in the NFL is one reason why it was such a disastrous decision last year to re-up Carr and pass on 3 franchise QB's. Nobody is trading top, proven staring QB's.

If Schaub is what I think he is, he is well worth moving back 2 draft picks and grabbing a guy like Levi Brown or Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch with the 10th overall. If Schaub is a bona-fide starter then giving up 2 second round picks is a no brainer. One 2rd rounder is for Schaub, and the other one is for the rights to something of value....cause you can't get something for nothing. Especially commodities that are scarce.

Please help. Thanks.

You probably won't believe this Texans_Chick, but I totally understand what you are saying and competely agree!

It's amazing how the roster changes just a bit, and what was foe on the MB is now friend and vice versa.

The lines in the sand are being redrawn on this MB.

Good post TC!

We needed a quarterback. This is pretty much a given if your being rational. We needed one so bad we were getting brady quinn projections at #8. I think its fair to say we would have spent a high round (1-3rd) pick on a quarterback this year. Call it a 2nd, and there is the 2nd this year that we traded for him. We draft Matt Schaub, Qb, Virginia with our #2 pick this year. Okay, dropping 2 spots in this draft, probably immaterial.....i doubt anybody amazing is going to fall to the 8 pick....probably no landry, or peterson, or anderson, or adams....just mid grade talent. No biggy. In reality, we gave up a 2nd next year for a qb who had a 1st and 3rd round tender on him. Dig up a little tape, and watch the start Schaub had against a very very good patriots defense. We filled a hole, can possibly mitigate cost with a carr trade, can broaden our horizons for targets in this draft, and got a quarterback commonly considered to have great potential.

But I thought Carr wasn't going anywhere. I thought that if Carr sucked, Kubiak was going to be fired.

Looks like Everybody IS Wrong About Everything.

Let me take a stab at channeling Casserly:

Hey, Schaub is better than anyone we could have gotten with our 2nd round pick. See? And, we can get the same player with the 10th pick that we would have taken with the 8th pick. OK? So we trade a 2nd round pick in 2008. Right? Hey, that's like a 3rd round pick this year. And 3rd round picks have a 50/50 shot at making it in the league. See? So that's why this trade for Phillip Buchanon...er, Matt Schaub is so great. OK?

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and all the other valuable starters are not on the trading block. The scarcity of good QB's in the NFL is one reason why it was such a disastrous decision last year to re-up Carr and pass on 3 franchise QB's. Nobody is trading top, proven staring QB's.

If Schaub is what I think he is, he is well worth moving back 2 draft picks and grabbing a guy like Levi Brown or Darrelle Revis or Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch with the 10th overall. If Schaub is a bona-fide starter then giving up 2 second round picks is a no brainer. One 2rd rounder is for Schaub, and the other one is for the rights to something of value....cause you can't get something for nothing. Especially commodities that are scarce.

Vinny, why do you particularly like Schaub? I'm curious.

But I thought Carr wasn't going anywhere. I thought that if Carr sucked, Kubiak was going to be fired.

Looks like Everybody IS Wrong About Everything.

My mea culpa is earlier in this thread. Its been addressed. I said it, my info was good at the time, stuff changed. Want me to stop posting the stuff i hear? I don't mind. Between december and march the direction our organization took shifted. i don't post every rumor i hear...i've had conversations with others on this board about stuff i've heard. the schaub thing blindsided me...by the time i got in touch with my source, it had already broken on the boards. Whatcha want from me?

well first i wanted to post this link from espn that has a pretty good write up on our situation so here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2807456

next to all the carr fans just think of it this way...atleast he will no longer be a texan and the 249 sacks that he had to deal with will not be where he ends up

for everyone else...we get a new QB that hasn't worn out his welcome

vinny...him wearing number 7 in college i totally forgot about that...so kudos to you for remembering that little tid bit of info

as for the draft implications of this trade...there is still a chance that smith and kubiak might be targetting a player a little further down in the draft so don't hold your breath that this is the last trade down in round 1 that could happen...there is still a chance we could end up with laron landry...if so great...but if not we'll have to deal since we won't have a chance to get brandon merriweather either...all the other FS's in this years draft don't impress me at all so it's kind of a downer for me...if we draft down it will probably be for a WR or a CB IMO...i don't see us targetting a LB, OL, or DL in round one anymore

My mea culpa is earlier in this thread. Its been addressed. I said it, my info was good at the time, stuff changed. Want me to stop posting the stuff i hear? I don't mind. Between december and march the direction our organization took shifted. i don't post every rumor i hear...i've had conversations with others on this board about stuff i've heard. the schaub thing blindsided me...by the time i got in touch with my source, it had already broken on the boards. Whatcha want from me?

I don't have that much time on my hands. Sorry.

What I had a problem with was the tone of it. Post what you like but don't expect not to get called out on it when it comes up wrong.

That said, I agree with your opinion on Schaub.

Please help. Thanks.

Well, first of all, if a Smith/Kubiak are genius enough to replicate the Demeco pick in the 2nd round every year, then the fact that they traded so much away to get Schaub should convince you that he's going to be awesome.

Second, I heard a number of interviews of Falcon players. All of them called him a leader. They said it was like having another coach on the field. He, according to the players, had a handle on the offense, control of the huddle, respect from his team. That's been lacking here.

Regarding moving down two spots in the 1st... If those spots are as valuable as some think, then we should've been much less enthused to win the last two games of the season. Otherwise, we could be sitting at 4 right now. Last year, we could've moved back two spots and still got the player we wanted for less money. Probably, that will be the case again this year.

I don't have that much time on my hands. Sorry.

What I had a problem with was the tone of it. Post what you like but don't expect not to get called out on it when it comes up wrong.

That said, I agree with your opinion on Schaub.

Like i didn't see it coming from a mile away? I knew when i posted it that there was a risk of the world uprighting itself. Call me out all day if you like...im right here, i stand by what i said as being accurate at the time. If i wanted to REALLY be an ass about it i would point out that Schaub isn't techincally signed, Carr is still on the roster, and there has been nothing said by the texans organization.

There has been a great deal made about Schaub's historic loss against very very good Patriots defense. Well, the problem is, the Patriots defense was NOT very good at all. In fact, there is no need to go to video tape, they were ranked 31st in the league in yards against and they were ranked 28th in Interceptions AND touchdowns allowed passing...17th overall. They were 10-6 that year and in the previous weekend AT HOME they got beat 41-17 by the San Diego Chargers... a team that finished 9-7 on the year.

Just wanted to set the record somewhat straight on the way to coronation...the Pats tend to inspire grandiose visions. He played well that day against an fairly ordinary defense, not one of the league's best that year. It was in 2005 too.

I am right with you in your skepticism. The thing that is disappointing is that we have now hurt ourselves with Carr. We are now definitely have to move Carr and teams will be able to have their way with us in those negotiations. We were moving him all along...fine. But now, we aren't going to get what we were going to get before Schaub came to town. I don't understand the timing and I don't understand paying such a steep price.

Carr didn't have market value before this trade anyway. Why? His contract. That's what most posters don't seem to understand regarding this so-called expectation that Carr can be traded for a first day pick.

Look for, and expect him to be released. And when he is, don't blame it on this trade.

Vinny, why do you particularly like Schaub? I'm curious.
I don't think he is going to be a great roll out passing kind of QB but right now we have two pocket guys in Sage and Shaub. Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him. Look at the contrast in Carr. Ideal measurables, but is often doing his chicken little impersonation as soon as the ball is snapped regardless of the pressure he gets from the pass rush. Watching Carr run an offense is like watching those old timey movies where the tape is sped up and the keystone cops are all running into each other.

I think our offense is going to look more like the Packer offense now that Sherman is running it and we won't see as much QB waggle stuff. Matt Schaub, Ahman Green, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels combined with two second year Tackles in Spencer and Winston with Pitts and Weary solid at G and all of a sudden we only need a Center and a WR2 to have a total new look offense. After watching our QB throw ONE TD pass of any consequence in the last 10 games of the year last year I am stoked to the max today.

Of course this is all speculation based on watching a ton of NFL ball....and sure, I've been wrong before. Back in 2001 I believe....I'll have to check on that and get back with you however.

Like i didn't see it coming from a mile away? I knew when i posted it that there was a risk of the world uprighting itself. Call me out all day if you like...im right here, i stand by what i said as being accurate at the time. If i wanted to REALLY be an ass about it i would point out that Schaub isn't techincally signed, Carr is still on the roster, and there has been nothing said by the texans organization.

The world uprighting itself? Because the Texans aren't happy with their current situation? That's pretty dramatic.

Pretty easy to say that everybody's wrong and claim to be in the know if you can qualify it by saying "I know what is happening... unless it doesn't happen or happens to change. BUT I STILL KNEW!"

The world uprighting itself? Because the Texans aren't happy with their current situation? That's pretty dramatic.

Pretty easy to say that everybody's wrong and claim to be in the know if you can qualify it by saying "I know what is happening... unless it doesn't happen or happens to change. BUT I STILL KNEW!"
I took the time to PM him and warn him about such absoute statements making yourself look bad later. As they say...that youth is wasted on the young!

the texans completely reversing their position on david carr is what im referring to as the world uprighting itself. Say it with me, Met-A-Phor. I don't care if you believe me or not.

I don't think he is going to be a great roll out passing kind of QB but right now we have two pocket guys in Sage and Shaub. Shaub is a big, tall kid with an arm that can make every single pass in the book, looks very good while under pressure and has enogh good footwork to slide in the pocket and get his passes off. He doesn't seem to panic at all and the game doesn't look too big for him. Look at the contrast in Carr. Ideal measurables, but is often doing his chicken little impersonation as soon as the ball is snapped regardless of the pressure he gets from the pass rush. Watching Carr run an offense is like watching those old timey movies where the tape is sped up and the keystone cops are all running into each other.

I think our offense is going to look more like the Packer offense now that Sherman is running it and we won't see as much QB waggle stuff. Matt Schaub, Ahman Green, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels combined with two second year Tackles in Spencer and Winston with Pitts and Weary solid at G and all of a sudden we only need a Center and a WR2 to have a total new look offense. After watching our QB throw ONE TD pass of any consequence in the last 10 games of the year last year I am stoked to the max today.

Of course this is all speculation based on watching a ton of NFL ball....and sure, I've been wrong before. Back in 2001 I believe....I'll have to check on that and get back with you however.

I totally agree that this signals a further move away from the Alex Gibbs style system. What many don't realize is that the movement away from that offense started with an NFL rules or interpretation change 2-3 years ago, I think. The NFL no longer allows a chop block inside the tackles on the back of the legs. That rule change, probably more than the Portis trade, has had more to do with the recent troubles (relative) Denver has had running the football, IMO.

The important thing for me is that Kubiak is a believer in running the football. He's not one of the west-coast guys out to prove something about throwing the ball 60% of the time- instead he's more from the Shanahan, Mariucci, Gruden school of offense.

the one thing i will say for schaub is this...look at andre and walter compared to michael jenkins and roddy white...atleast we know our guys can catch the ball and andre is still a physical freak...schaubs numbers might go up just on the basis that he has better recievers to throw to :snobord: :victory:

Back