Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

great deal imo. a little more than i'd like to give up but schaub is easily worth it. he's been brilliant in the games he's played.

Ahhh man I wanted to watch NFL network to get the information but they're showing the infamous Oilers vs. Bills game. I can't handle that right now.

it's almost certain carr is getting traded. if they can make up some ground and get a 3rd rounder it'd be sweet, a 2nd would be ideal, but a 3rd roundr would be huge.

Yes and we switched 1st rounders, now we pick 10th instead of 8th.. And gave them a 2nd rounder this year and next year.. It's on ESPN and this site..

Just so I have clarification, we swapped 1st's, and gave up two 2nd's for a backup? This after we pass on Leinart and Young?

I ask only b/c I wanted to make sure which reality I am in.

Bigbrewster you don't have to welcome me as this is a public blog. No need for insults either right off the bat on my first post. I have an opinion and have expressed it on this possible QB trade. I am not jumping off a cliff by stating my displeasure for this trade. Too many bad moves have been made by this organization in the past and I believe this is one more. I hope I'm wrong this time if the trade goes through.

He can't be much worse than Carr. Hopefully he will be the Tony Romo (excuse the fumbled FG) for the Texans. The backup that the fans wanted to see play. But the Falcons lose out and the Texans get to test the experiment. Not saying he will be great but probably better than what we have. Would you rather have a guaranteed losing (Carr) season or a chance of a losing season (anyone else)?

Just so I have clarification, we swapped 1st's, and gave up two 2nd's for a backup? This after we pass on Leinart and Young?

I ask only b/c I wanted to make sure which reality I am in.

Your in the one where we just said no to Brady Quinn:) Sorry has to take that little jab. And there are conflicting reports, but the one that seems to be the most common is the one that you are refering to.

So then I guess we're done with Sage and Carr VS Schaub for starting position? What? Hey you guys stop twitching, I'm just funnin ya!

Those of you complaining about trading away draft picks when the FO said they wouldn't: Get over it. It's very hard to believe anything anyone says during this time of the year and I've said it before. It's all about posturing and trying to get a better deal. Did we get a better deal? I don't know, only time will tell. But I believe this is a big step towards the right direction. Schaub was highly coveted and I believe the Vikings made a big push to get him Falcons wouldn't budge. Since Petrino had committed to playing Michael Vick it didn't make any sense to have an expensive backup like Schaub. I believe Kubiak wants to mould a qb and this move shows that Kubiak doesn't think Carr can be turned around or at least perform better than he did last year.

Bigbrewster you don't have to welcome me as this is a public blog. No need for insults either right off the bat on my first post. I have an opinion and have expressed it on this possible QB trade. I am not jumping off a cliff by stating my displeasure for this trade. Too many bad moves have been made by this organization in the past and I believe this is one more. I hope I'm wrong this time if the trade goes through.

That was sarcasm. Anyway I am not going to get into a battle with you and I also hope you are wrong. BTW people pretty typically welcome new posters here.

i called those ***** holes at 610 about a month or two ago and brought the idea up about shwab and they laughed at me and said no way we give up draft picks to get shwab next question....... well how do you like me now, i think he is great i have seen him play a couple of times when vick was out and he has alot of poise in the pocket which is something we dont have now in dc. way to go texans.:yahoo:

dayum you showed them :dance2:

Backup QB is not worth two second rounders and a move down in the 1st round. He hasn't done anything in the NFL and you give this much for him. Dumb. I you draft a QB you keep the picks and hope the rookie QB pans out. Your giving up picks and hope a past 3rd rd QB pans out? Doesn't make sense.

So, in 1991, if a team offered SF two 2nd round picks for Steve Young, they would be making a mistake?

Or, when GB traded a 2nd to Atlanta for backup QB Bret Favre, they made a mistake?

Or, If a team would've traded a couple first day picks for Tom Brady in 2001, that would have been a mistake?

How about in 1970, if a team needing a QB traded two early picks to get backup QB Roger Staubach- that would be a mistake, right?

i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he threw for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

So, in 1991, if a team offered SF two 2nd round picks for Steve Young, they would be making a mistake?

Or, when GB traded a 2nd to Atlanta for backup QB Bret Favre, they made a mistake?

Or, If a team would've traded a couple first day picks for Tom Brady in 2001, that would have been a mistake?

How about in 1970, if a team needing a QB traded two early picks to get backup QB Roger Staubach- that would be a mistake, right?

i was with you till you started to equate Staubach with Schaub. Staubach was a Heisman Trophy winning can't miss prospect All-American Hero out of Navy. But yeah he was a backup in the beginning...just like its supposed to be. and just like schaub was handled.

At the very least this gives us a QB who isn't always hearing footsteps when he drops back to pass-not that that's totally Carr's fault.

i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he through for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

Young? Schaub over Young? cmon now. Let the VY hatred go.

With the impression that I get, this trade will get done around 6 or 7 PM. Does anyone know anything about his contract or if we extend or restructure it?

Some good points there DALEMURPHY. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and he does pan out, since I hear it is a done deal. Like an earlier blogger said "We'll just wait and see".

Some good points there DALEMURPHY. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and he does pan out, since I hear it is a done deal. Like an earlier blogger said "We'll just wait and see".

fair enough. it will be a year at least before we know if it's a good deal or not. i do think we got market value. he was a hot commodity and lots of teams wanted him so it's not as if we got hood-winked like we did with Phillip Buchanan... that doesn't mean it will work out though... I'm hopeful and we'll have a lot of new stuff to look at in August!

I haven't seen anyone address this but I'm assuming the Texans have to sign Matt Schaub to an extension or something right? Anyone know what kind of money are we looking at?

No, again, all I was saying that you couldn't have done a better job, much less the blind man. Talking out of one's arse on a board and actually being an NFL QB are 2 different things, I hope you'll allow me that assumption.

So you're not a fan of Carr...that's great, let's move on.

PS. Yeah I can get to fridge without breaking a sweat...you wanna time me...LOL

Look at my name I WAS a Carr fan, I supported the guy beyond end, but its time to move on. Also, all you were trying to do was call out somebody that you thought wasnt a Carr fan, (but "was" a Carr fan) and said he couldn't make it to his fridge......so don't try to act high and mighty when it backfires

P.S. a blind man with a gifted arm would of found AJ in the back of the endzone in the last 10 games

By the looks of nfl.com, it looks like this trade is official, we are just waiting for a press conference. (look at the mock draft & report)

This is a bad trade.

Consider the holes the Texans have to fill on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Now consider that unless you have Cass drafting for you, teams can reasonable expect to get starters with picks in their first two rounds. If you have a team that drafts really well, they usually get starters or at least solid contributers in the third round.

Essentially we're giving up two starters for a QB who has been a career backup in the NFL. When you have as many holes as we do on both sides of the ball....you horde your draft picks to fill holes. You don't start packaging picks for players or position in the draft until you're a player or two away from winning the whole enchilada.

This also basically means a mistake was made in the extension for DC last year and the passing of three franchise QB's in the first round going for defense.

Drafting defense is OK so long as you're taking the build through the draft approach to putting the team together. With that approach, you get as many picks as possible and stay away from the glamor and glitz until you have a rock solid O-line and defense.

What I have trouble with is the Texans being schizophrenic about this. Don't go value, defense, build through the draft.....and then the very next year go throwing picks away with lots of holes to fill.

:brickwall

That's what you get for buying into John McClain and his assurances that we were not going to trade picks.

i actually don't listen to john mcclain...i just thought we weren't in a position that allowed us to give away picks since we didn't have the cap space to be more aggressive in FA...i personally can't stand mcclain...just a miss judgment on my part about what smith was going to do this offseason

anyways...just wanted to correct my post from earlier...schaub is a right handed QB...not sure why i thought he was left handed...oh well

john mcclain is a damn *****. one of teh worst writers i've had the displeasure to listen to or read.

I agree with you HISTROYHORN. I don't understand this organization with what they've done in the past and today. I just hope it works out because KTRH740 is reporting that this QB trade is a done deal. At least we get a replacement at the QB position. Carr was not gonna get us over .500. The games were just too painful to watch and attend.

Look at my name I WAS a Carr fan, I supported the guy beyond end, but its time to move on. Also, all you were trying to do was call out somebody that you thought wasnt a Carr fan, (but "was" a Carr fan) and said he couldn't make it to his fridge......so don't try to act high and mighty when it backfires

P.S. a blind man with a gifted arm would of found AJ in the back of the endzone in the last 10 games

Just let it go Carr Bomb, point of fact is you really don't know that you could have done any better than Carr. You have never been in that situation.

You think you could hit AJ in the end zone, once again you'll never get the chance. You may have had a chance in boxing,but your talent for football never got you noticed. If you had the skill at football to become an NFL player, that means that you would have excelled at the college level and would have had scouts interested in you.

You would have gone as a first round draft pick and signed a muti million dollar contract. Unfortunatly for you, your talent level never amounted to that much.

David Carr on the other hand was able to acomplish all of the above,so don't tell me you or any blind man could have done better.

the trade is pretty much a done deal...the kid has potential...and maybe just maybe with kubiak tutoring him he'll become the QB everyone around the league believes he can be...if he becomes a pro bowl QB then this trade is great...if not...then we certainly have bitten yet another bullet

funny thing is just when we're getting the number 8 out of houston we trade to get another just a strange fact :joker:

Just let it go Carr Bomb, point of fact is you really don't know that you could have done any better than Carr. You have never been in that situation.

You think you could hit AJ in the end zone, once again you'll never get the chance. You may have had a chance in boxing,but your talent for football never got you noticed. If you had the skill at football to become an NFL player, that means that you would have excelled at the college level and would have had scouts interested in you.

You would have gone as a first round draft pick and signed a muti million dollar contract. Unfortunatly for you, your talent level never amounted to that much.

David Carr on the other hand was able to acomplish all of the above,so don't tell me you or any blind man could have done better.

backup QB with 2 starts, barely over 50% completions, a career passer rating below 70, and exactly 0 wins.
so? A QB with 75 starts and 3 wins with a combined 2+ TD's combined with 201+ yards passing in the same game. This happened 3 times in 75 games. Three. I'll go with the Schaub.

If we were banking on someone in the draft to be our future starting QB, we're going to be in the same rut that we have been in the past 5 years.

I know one thing - Schaub has shown us some proof that he can play in the NFL.

From this trade, it seems like we have given up a lot. But don't we still have our 3rd-7th picks for this draft? I'm pretty sure we will find some quality players in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th to help us on the OL and secondary.

before anything, i'm the poster formally known as Texan281.

anyways, i'm shocked, and now im really dumfounded about what we're gonna do in the draft... maybe we could use carr to trade up or get another pick in the THIRD at best... it could be the fuel needed to trade up or down in the first round... the only good i CURRENTLY see in this is that we're done with carr... but schaub? this guy just doesn't have enough starts, and i'm really tired of getting players based on potential, i thought we were past that with kubiak/smith... but if schaub is really good, then it's worth it... i just don't see him being a top-flight qb, though. i'm thinking he's going to be better than carr, which isn't astronomical... but at what cost? if you think about it, we basically took schaub with our #39 pick and traded down TWO spots... which isn't too bad. the second rounder next year does hurt though, we still need depth in the worst way. basically, as of right now i'm not a huge fan of this trade because what we're giving up, but i'm really hoping i'm wrong and we get a compentent qb and get a good player for the pick we get after trading carr.

the TRUE results of this trade won't be seen until schaub proves himself as a starter and we win more games (contingent on if that ACTUALLY HAPPENS)... but as of right now, i definitely don't like it too much. and this means we're done with major tinkering at the QB position for a while. i just have this nasty feeling we're gonna draft levi brown. honestly, i wouldnt mind nelson at that #10 spot... i just have no clue what we're going to do there for certain though.

i just don't have the best feeling about this... and this will be the defining move of the kubiak/smith regime no matter what happens down the line... it's make or break in my eyes.

i'm surprised there is so much negativity in this trade. i would take schaub at this point over young, leinart and especially quinn. he's 25 years old, 6' 5" 237 lbs. he threw for 300 yards and 3 td's and 0 ints vs NE in his only start. and has been solid in spot duty. he's gonna be like hasslebeck imo.

Um...........no.
Schaub is NOT Leinart.
For the record, Schaub is not the second coming of Steve Young.
The peaks and valleys of some of the posters on this site are unreal.

2 starts in three years. 6-6 TD/INT ratio. Which absolutely stinks.
Drop two spots in the first round...ok. A second rounder THIS year AND NEXT year too? Holy overpriced Batman! That is overpaying like no one's business. This team has FAR to many other need areas to spend TWO years without a second rounder. Somewhere in that bag of tricks, the front office had better have a second rounder coming out of the Carr deal, because that just reeks.

this sums it all..........
Texans move to solve QB

Earlier today I wrote about all the moves the Houston Texans had made this offseason and concluded that the moves had very little substance. That all changed Wednesday afternoon when the team traded for third-year QB Matt Schaub of the Atlanta Falcons.
According to reports, the Texans will send Atlanta two second-round picks, one this year and one next year, and will swap first-round picks with the Falcons this year, meaning the Falcons will pick No. 8 overall, with the Texans sliding back to No. 10.

Schaub has been the subject of trade rumors in the past but was thought to be off the market this offseason after Atlanta opted to put the first-and-third tender on him to scare off potential suitors. The Falcons are in the first year of a new coaching regime, with Bobby Petrino having replaced the departed Jim Mora. Petrino had yet to see either Schaub or starter Michael Vick perform in his offensive system, and there was some speculation that there might be more of an open competition for the starting spot this season. That all changed with this trade. Vick is clearly the guy in Atlanta, and Texans QB David Carr appears to be on his way out of Houston.
As I mentioned in my earlier blog, Carr had just about run his course in Houston. I like David Carr and think he can be an effective starter in the NFL, but I questioned how effective he could be next season on a team that had been shopping him openly throughout the offseason. There are certain things you can and can't do in the NFL. A big no-no is shopping your starting quarterback and failing to move him, then asking him to come back and be your leader.

The Texans have fixed that issue. Or have they? Sure Schaub is supposed to be the next quarterback sensation, but the numbers tell a different story. He has started two games in his career and lost both. He has completed barely more than 50 percent of his passes and has thrown six touchdowns and six interceptions. Vick gave former coach Mora many opportunities to pull the plug and go with Schaub, but Mora never wavered. While Schaub is expected to be a solid NFL starter, he has less experience than the guy he is replacing.

I like Matt Schaub. I think he has great physical tools. He has the size and the arm to play in the NFL. He is smart and plays with a lot of heart. The question that will need to be answered is, Can he lead? This team needs leadership at the quarterback position. That's an area where Carr struggled at times. Now Schaub will get his shot.

While Atlanta fans who are getting impatient with Vick might disagree, I think this deal is better for them. Sure, Vick has not proven to be the answer, but the Falcons got a lot of value for Schaub, who likely would have gotten away as an unrestricted free agent next season. I like that Petrino is telling Vick that he is his guy. I think this takes a lot of pressure off Vick as he prepares to lead the Falcons into the 2007 season.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli is reporting that the Falcons could now potentially move towards veteran Anthony Wright to serve as Vick's backup in 2007. Wright is a veteran with starting experience, not a young up-and-comer, and that might make for a better fit with Vick, who was a little sensitive about his starting role toward the middle of last season.

I also would look for Atlanta to draft a quarterback as an insurance policy. Michigan State's Drew Stanton or Stanford's Trent Edwards surely will be on the Falcons' radar this year.

As for the Texans, this move dramatically reduced their options on draft day. There had been talk Houston might be eyeing Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn, either trading up or hoping Quinn fell to them at No. 8. With Schaub in the fold, and sitting at No. 10 instead of No. 8, Quinn likely is out of the picture. If Quinn did happen to fall to them at 10, though, they would have the option of trading back and trying to recoup the second-round pick they sent to Atlanta. The Texans also could look to trade Carr to pick up more picks later in the draft.

While this trade definitely can benefit both teams, Atlanta certainly looks like the early winner. Houston's grade on this deal will depend on Schaub and the draft.

AND THE TEXANS JUST GOT RAPE BY THE FALCONS:elmo:

The only thing Carr accomplished was making a baffoon out of himself and holding the Texans back for five long years. We paid him dearly for nothing in return but grief and disappointment.
Good Riddance! Don't let the door hit ya'...

before anything, i'm the poster formally known as Texan281.

anyways, i'm shocked, and now im really dumfounded about what we're gonna do in the draft... maybe we could use carr to trade up or get another pick in the THIRD at best... the only good i CURRENTLY see in this is that we're done with carr... but schaub? this guy just doesn't have enough starts, and i'm really tired of getting players based on potential, i thought we were past that with kubiak/smith... but if schaub is really good, then it's worth it... but i just don't see him being a top-flight qb. i'm thinking he's going to be better than carr, which isn't astronomical... but at what cost? if you think about it, we basically took schaub with our #39 pick and traded down TWO spots... which isn't too bad. the second rounder next year does hurt though, we still need depth in the worst way. basically, as of right now i'm not a huge fan of this trade because what we're giving up, but i'm really hoping i'm wrong and we get a compentent qb and get a good player for the pick we get after trading carr.

the TRUE results of this trade won't be seen until schaub proves himself as a starter and we win more games (contingent on if that ACTUALLY HAPPENS)... but as of right now, i definitely don't like it too much. and no man, we're done with major tinkering at the QB position for a while. i just have this nasty feeling we're gonna draft levi brown. honestly, i wouldnt mind nelson at that #10 spot... i just have no clue what we're going to do there for certain though.

i just don't have the best feeling about this... and this will be the defining move of the kubiak/smith regime no matter what happens down the line... it's make or break in my eyes.

maybe there is a Carr deal in the works for a 2nd rounder in 08 that would help some :bubble:

If they do end up trading DC to Oakland for Moss, then this offseason could be known for years to come as franchise changing...for the best of course.

The peaks and valleys of some of the posters on this site are unreal.

7,689 members and 1,891 active members (as I post this)....I'm not shocked there is diverse opinion. It's silly to think that everyone will think alike. You are a Carr fan and not happy. I have never liked Carr and am ESTATIC that we have a new QB. That's just how it goes.

Back