Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Close the Deal for Schaub: confirmed by NFLNetwork

Need to take this one off your list. The NFL made New Orleans take Roaf off the expansion draft list after a physical. He was then traded to KC.

He was traded for a 3rd rd pick I believe and he led the way for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. I think he was selected to the pro bowl for the chiefs.

It is not only this trade that frustrates me. It is a series of bad moves:
the expansion draft - Not Picking Roaf, Picking Boselli
the first draft - picking Gaffney and Pitts over Portis
Trading for P Buchanon and releasing him
Trading up for Babin
Picking Joppru in the 2nd
Cutting Sharper and Glenn (Vets and Leaders)
Picking travis johnson over Jamal Brown and Derrick Johnson
Making Carr a scape goat
Signing Robaire Smith and the other RT to big dollars only to release them
Then last year with Vince and Reggie Bush
And now this trade

In fact, I will turn optimistic. The Texans have made these good moves:

Drafting Dom Davis* Bad Luck
Drafting AJ
Drafting Robinson
Drafting Ryans
Drafting Spencer* Bad luck

This is a short list. I hope they turn it around. But they wont with these types of deals.

dude, ill be the first to say that we have had a tough go at it. teams have to turn the page and sometimes its costly. i think this trade was too expensive (as currently reported) for sure. no doubt. but lets just see what the reward is. We are still going to get the player we want at #10. Landry, Branch, Hall, or Nelson will be there at #10. Any of those guys could come in and help our defense out from Day One.

Think of it as if we are drafting Schaub in the 2nd round and giving the Falcons a 2nd Round pick as a tip :) Use Casserley logic. I don't know what to tell you. Just try and let things fall and see what happens this season and at the June cap casualty date (Carr's fate)

Man, I'm so excited! It's like the first season all over again. If nothing else it shows that Kubiak is willing to make major moves.

BTW, it's great to hear some Texans talk on Sirius. :)

:yahoo:

I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm excited about seeing Schuab here but I do have some reservations about what this trade costs. The pair of 2's really seems a bit much. I could have dealt with the swap and "a" 2 and thought that deal fair.

What still remains to be seen is whether or not the Texans can get anything for David Carr. I find it hard to imagine that many teams will be willing to part with picks or players when they know he's not going to be on our team next year.

I think most of the GM's with any interest in Carr will expect him to shake loose before the start of the season (and probably before training camp) so they'll wait on a chance to sign him as a free agent when that happens.

Finally some of you guys really need to stay on topic and leave the personal attacks out of the conversation. That kind of junk leads to nothing but you sitting in the "__________ needs to be quiet for a while" box.

Talk football and leave the insults out of it. There is an ignore feature on this board and I recommend it highly.

Where are the Carr haters? You finally got what you wanted.We pass on Vince for Car.Now, We are giving up on Carr and going after Matty.How did it come to this?:confused:

It appears that Kubiak and Smith agreed with us ABC'ers about Carr's performance last season. I think this FO is making the right moves to build a winning franchise. But the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see what we're saying this time next year and the year after.

I've always thought that Schaub should be starting instead of Vick but Mora's hands were tied with Vick's big contract. I think this is a definite upgrade of the QB position for the Texans.

Man this freakin' board is going crazy! My previous post was supposed to go to another thread and it ended up here. :confused:

He was traded for a 3rd rd pick I believe and he led the way for Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. I think he was selected to the pro bowl for the chiefs.

Again we were not allowed to take him due to him failing a physical so you can take that one off your list. And almost every huge mistake was made by the former regime. So get over it, get behind this team and hope for the best.

Let me explain myself. I never said I wanted Plummer here or he was the man. I explained that the Texans didn't want to give up a 4th. I had heard Plummer really wanted to play under Kubes again. TB has a dearth of QBs. Plummer is disappointed and retires. So my conclusion was that if we didn't bring in anyone else and the coaching staff still wanted a vet, they would get a pick acquired through the draft, and use it to acquire his rights. I'm in no way saying I want it happening. Just that if we were stuck, I thought we might go that way. I'm much happier with this.

Frog,

I went back and edited my post. I quoted you, not realizing that it was u4ikrob who made that statement about thinking that Plummer is coming here.

My bad. I had hoped I cuaght it in time. Sorry 'bout that.

Man the mods are 'moving' several threads that I think go with the Bullpen. Crazy stuff going on here. :confused:

It is not only this trade that frustrates me. It is a series of bad moves:
the expansion draft - Not Picking Roaf, Picking Boselli
the first draft - picking Gaffney and Pitts over Portis
Trading for P Buchanon and releasing him
Trading up for Babin
Picking Joppru in the 2nd
Cutting Sharper and Glenn (Vets and Leaders)
Picking travis johnson over Jamal Brown and Derrick Johnson
Making Carr a scape goat
Signing Robaire Smith and the other RT to big dollars only to release them
Then last year with Vince and Reggie Bush
And now this trade

In fact, I will turn optimistic. The Texans have made these good moves:

Drafting Dom Davis* Bad Luck
Drafting AJ
Drafting Robinson
Drafting Ryans
Drafting Spencer* Bad luck

This is a short list. I hope they turn it around. But they wont with these types of deals.

You do understand that Casserly and the ones who made most of those blunders are gone? This is a new GM and coach and so far it seems they know what they are doing. But if you want to keep living in the past go for it, hope it works out for you.

that's not what i am trying to say. i just dont understand why it would matter or not where he went if your opinion is if you want him gone anyway.

you don't get it. If he is QBing in the AFC as a starter, I don't want him to do well. That is because Oakland or any other AFC team is competing for the same playoff spots as the Texans. If he does well, then less likely for Texans to make playoffs...yada yada yada...maybe overthinking..sure..but its just how I look at sports and playoffs

You seem to like cracking jokes about El Paso having no electricity...
You realize this doesn't make you look like the intelligent person in that conversation, right?

For instance, the guy you're trying to insult with the whole electricity thing? Well, I hate to break it to you, but he is communicationg with you from El Paso via Internet...
You see where I'm going with this???

. <<< connect that one ----- with that one >>> .

Yes, the Internet requires electricity! You get a gold star.

irony...look into it

(well at least the thread continues to grow at a Moulds thread like pace)

I just want to know what are they going to do for Schaub. The QB position still doesn't have enough around it to be successful. I am not going to fault Schaub when he doesn't do good because I still contend that the pass blocking unit is not very good.

Wow how long did it take for you to come up with this pathetic comeback? ballet.......give me a break.

You said I couldn't go from my chair to the fridge without breaking a swet.......I proved overwise. Now you are looking stupid, because your hero Mr. Carr didn't cut it in the NFL.

P.S.
I might be Mr. (almost) Olympian (because of one guy's jaw that broke my hand), but your Mr. (never did crap)......

Whoever said I was backing Carr? I was justing implying that you were talking out of your arse saying you could do better...no need to get in a tizzy...

Because I'm willing to bet you aren't making an NFL team anytime soon...much less the Texans...or you want that your next heroic feat? Give us an update and create a thread about it...

You said I couldn't go from my chair to the fridge without breaking a swet.......I proved overwise.
I dunno man...you talk big words but...lol

Note to self...forgot that people take themselves too seriously sometimes

Lets look at it this way.

- We can still get Landry at 10. That part is no issue at all.

- Even if Landry is gone (maybe that's the reason Atlanta wanted to swap?!?) we can still get a solid player (We got Dunta at 10 a few years ago)

- Just look at us like instead of using a second round pick on a QB (Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb, etc...) we spend the pick on Schuab.

- I'm a little nervous about giving up next year's second rounder, but if we win games this year that will be good enough.

- Our staff knows what it's doing. They're the first one's yet with us that have noticed that Carr is not the answer for us. And they've done something about it.

I'm pumped. I think we have the talent to play some good football, and at one position we were especially weak we have found our fix. If giving up two second rounders means we will win more next year, I'm all for it. It's obvious that having Carr as our QB was not getting us anywhere. Maybe we can get a second rounder next year for Carr?

They are loving this deal on the Falcons message board! I can't say that dusgaree with them. We are yet again the laughing stock of the league. We gave up way too much for this guy.

WHY CAN"T THIS TEAM JUST BE PATIENT AND KEEP OUR 2nd ROUND PICKS

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, because we all know that every 2nd round pick we have made has been an all-pro. Good point yas got there.

Frog,

I went back and edited my post. I quoted you, not realizing that it was u4ikrob who made that statement about thinking that Plummer is coming here.

No problem. Since I commented on it myself, I just wanted to clear up my stance. Thanks man.

If AP would drop to 8, he should still be there at 10. The Falcons dont need another RB. The Fish sure dont need one. But the big thing is if he will last that long with trades and stuff.

I've read ALL the posts in this thread, and you are not the one I am speaking of. In fact, I am not referring to anyone at this moment.

It was a preemptive strike against some here, probably the ones who haven't been on the boards as long as we have, who might get amped up on adrenaline and think they can kick a guy (DC) on his way out.

I personally desire to see my fellow Texans give David Carr and his family a good "sending off."

I am excited about this transition. Schaub's the guy I wanted, so I am definitely excited and stoked. I just hope a lot of people here do not lose their cool and make sniping rermarks on DC's exit from our team.

He is a "class guy," which about 99% of us here have always stated. Just hoping we all treat him the same class on his way out. So far, so good. And I'm not the board "police" or anything...it's just what I hope for.

well i think you will find that he (Carr) isn't being kicked around very much at all. After all, he IS still on our team. for all we know we traded for Schaub to trade to Oakland...who knows. until I see McNair shaking Schaub's hand at a press conference, you really never know.

If AP would drop to 8, he should still be there at 10. The Falcons dont need another RB. The Fish sure dont need one. But the big thing is if he will last that long with trades and stuff.

The fish would like a QB, this may make them trade up for Quinn.?.?.?.?.

Can anyone post the gist of what the Green ESPN Insider article says? I forgot to renew my account and mine isn't activated again yet.

I'd rather be the team with two good QB's than the team with no real viable starter at QB and a draft bust hitting the cap at 9 mil a year. That said, I welcome the deal because we have just put an end to our QB situation. Time to move Carr and move on.

Too much value paid V regardless of how strongly one feels about Carr IMO. We will see how much it cost us next month.

Has anybody stopped to think that the (2) 2nd RD picks traded was enough ammo to move and get Peterson or Quinn?

i just dont understand why it would matter or not where he went if your opinion is if you want him gone anyway.

Dirty Steve....let me explain.

Although an NFL player is the ELITE athlete/skilled-talent in his sport (football)...they are each competing against players of very similar physical and skill-set caliber.
Because of this similar level of physical ability throughout each division and team (known as parity), sometimes the WINNING team is the team most mentally prepared.
It has been found that humans are more likely to perform to the height of their ability when they are mentally prepared. More to the point, when a human has personal motivation (i.e. – something to prove), that person is more likely to give it more effort as opposed to normal situations where there isn’t that personal motivation (i.e. – any team/fan-base that DIDN’T dump him, or pour beer on his wife).

You might recall people worried on this board that Vince Young went to our division rival (Tennessee). This worry is because it is widely known and understood that Vince Young grew up in Houston. Vince Young has a lot of family, friends, former coaches and teammates that still live in Houston. Vince Young very well could have been the #1 pick in the draft had the TEXANS felt he was our best option at that point in time. These are ALL reasons that Vince Young could use as personal motivation.

Now connect the dots from the given example, and see if you can think of 1, 2 or A MILLION reasons why Carr would DEFINITELY have personal motivation to prove something each time he plays the TEXANS (especially when those in our AFC South division play us TWICE a year).

If that still doesn’t help, then just think of your reaction to when you see a girl you used to talk to. You’re out shooting hoops, just messing around. But when you see her watching you play….you try a little harder…and next thing you know…You’re making shots you might not have if she wasn’t there or if you were just messing around.

Got it?

:wheel:

The fish would like a QB, this may make them trade up for Quinn.?.?.?.?.

That sounds possible. If the Raiders take a Quarterback then they would have to trade up the Lions because I think the Browns want a QB as well. And then the Lions are'nt in much need for a runningback either.

I really like this move. The price seems a bit steep at first glance, but it's worth it in my opinion to get Carr out and start moving forward again. I've always liked Schaub and think he has all the tools to be a successful quarterback. Good move, texans :dance2:

Can anyone post the gist of what the Green ESPN Insider article says? I forgot to renew my account and mine isn't activated again yet.

Originally, he was slapping the Texans around saying they made moves but only for fringe starters (Black and Barber). They really weren't improved despite the changes. IN particular, he was lashing out at the team for not resolving the Qb situation and made a reference to Plummer.

Now he is talking about how Schaub addresses the situation of getting Carr out after shopping him most of the off-season, but questions Schaub leadership and his track record with little PT.

lastly, he thinks the trade can benefit both teams, but is reserving judgement with regards to the Texans until after the draft and seeing Schaub perform.

still nothing from the Texans on this....after all, it is contingent on the Texans being able to work out a contract with the Texans.

i hope the deal ends up being a little more pallatable but remember that we got a 25 year old top NFL QB prospect. He is mobile and has shown the ability to move the chains. You know the guy is hungry for a chance to play. He also seems like a high character guy who has handled his apprenticeship in Atlanta with a professional demeanor and has never added any drama to the QB drama in Atlanta. That would lead me to believe that he thinks about the team first and his personal agenda second. He knew that if he just stayed the course he would get his chance. And it looks like he is getting exactly that.

I wish Schaub the very best if he indeed becomes our QB. No doubt about it.

Let the Schaub Era begin!!

The bad moves are the ones where we trade UP from the 2nd round into the 1st round to get Jason Babin.

There was a time when our HC and GM would fall in love with a "potential player" who might not be there unless we made some drastic move.

IIRC, we had even traded with TENNESSEE, the most evil of all evil in the NFL, to get the marvelous Jason Babin who was worth moving up for.

Isn't all that information correct? Didn't we move from the 2nd back into the very late 1st to get Babin? Or was it moving from the 3rd back into the late 2nd to get babin.

Regardless, the bad moves were on Casserly and Capers.

We rolled our eyes at acquiring Dayne, a waiver wire acquisition, and all he did was win about 6 games for us behind a QB who saw his role relegated to snapping the ball and handing it off. And it worked.

How much more will it "work" for us if we have a guy in Schaub who loves the pocket, cuddles with the pocket, and is poised to take over a team? Schaub isn't broken. Schaub hasn't been schell-schocked. He's been right where he needs to be. He's been where Carr probably should have been his first 2-3 years.

I like the moves we've made. I couldn't say this prior to Kubiak coming aboard.

Good times are ahead. Not predicting a Super Bowl, mind you, but I am predicting a more stable team environment where everybody can calm down and just do their jobs without worrying that things are going to revert to the same old Texans ways.

What we had on this team was 51 players always taking a deep breath when the remaining one player was required to do his job. It was always a 50-50 deal with DC. He killed himself on tripping, fumbling, and panicking in the pocket when all he had to do was just do his job. And then he sometimes got himself out of the self-imposed pickle he'd put himself in...he forced himself, via his early mistakes in a game, to come up clutch in the end of some games. That was the mystery of David Carr.

Now we have a guy who relieves Michael Vick, vs. the Eagles mind you, and picks apart the Eagles and moves the ball. Vick comes back in and the ball stalls. Doesn't take much to see that Schaub is comfy in the pocket and he knows how to do the pocket passing game.

Ahman Green might be a bad move. All we're out is money and no draft picks. So be it. Dayne's back, and you never know that we might acquire Lynch with the no. 10...I'm not a fan of his personality and attitude, but I've been watching his highlights and he looks very good in all phases of the RB game.

Be of good cheer all ye who doubt. It's a chance to sit back and actually watch a Texans game without knowing what's going to happen before it happens.

I really like this move. The price seems a bit steep at first glance, but it's worth it in my opinion to get Carr out and start moving forward again. I've always liked Schaub and think he has all the tools to be a successful quarterback. Good move, texans :dance2:

Yes, at first glance it does seem steep, but in the end, if we end up with Schaub and <<cough>> Randy Moss <<cough>> or a 2nd round pick from Oakland, and all we give up is Carr and 2 second round picks, I see this as a great move.

Maybe its a pipe dream, but could you imagine this?
QB: Schaub
RB: Green, Dayne, Lundy, Gado
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Randy Moss

This would be a pretty decent offense especially if we can continue to add depth to the OLine.

Second Honeymoon said:
still nothing from the Texans on this....after all, it is contingent on the Texans being able to work out a contract with the Texans.
They won't say anything until Schaub signs his extension. They won't make a premature announcement as they are notoriously careful with this kind of stuff.

My thoughts:
- We're making what should be a noticeable upgrade at the most important position. I've seen Schaub play, he's a smart player and he has a great arm. Say goodbye to Carr's hail mary-type deep balls, Schaub can throw deep with some precision.

- It's still a bad deal based on what we gave up. I'm not concerned with swapping firsts, we'll still get a chance to trade down or draft a great player at that spot. The bad part is giving up 2 2nd rounders for a backup QB. The whole, "We were going to use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB anyways, so we're only giving up 1 pick," reeks of the PBuch trade. We're giving up what could potentially be two starter-quality players for a guy who's never been "the man" in the NFL.

I would have much preferred us to just draft a Drew Stanton/Kevin Kolb type in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and groom them under Rosenfels. This franchise can't afford to give up picks, we need as much help as we can get. I think Schaub will be an upgrade over Carr in that he'll allow us to be more aggressive on offense, but I don't expect him to be a Pro-bowl type performer and so I question the price we paid for him.

I will add that I agree with Hervoyel in that I'm interested to see what they can turn Carr into. If we can get a good value for Carr we could salvage this scenario into one which is much less painful. If we can earn another first day pick from trading Carr, then I'll put myself in the "wait and see" category on this one. Otherwise, I've never been as skeptical of a trade we've made as I am of this one (not sure if that's good or bad since we've made some horrible deals).

I'll still root for Schaub as hard as I would for any Texans QB, and I'm really happy to see anyone behind center that's not David Carr at this point. I'm so sick of watching that pathetic Carr-run offense. I just really hope we're not going to be talking about this a few years from now, about how we could've had those two guys who turned out to be studs, but we gave it up for what turned out to be just another nomad QB.

**** Does anyone know if Kubiak or Smith have had any personal contact with Schaub before? Did they just watch ESPN like the rest of us and assume he's a starter quality player, or have they actually done their homework and seen him play? I hope they know what they're getting into.

They won't say anything until Schaub signs his extension. They won't make a premature announcement as they are notoriously careful with this kind of stuff.

I would think we'd hear from rblnick about the press conference before anything else. Right? I will be anxiously waiting for conformation before I bust out my dance moves.:dance2:

Whoever said I was backing Carr? I was justing implying that you were talking out of your arse saying you could do better...no need to get in a tizzy...

Because I'm willing to bet you aren't making an NFL team anytime soon...much less the Texans...or you want that your next heroic feat? Give us an update and create a thread about it...

I dunno man...you talk big words but...lol

Note to self...forgot that people take themselves too seriously sometimes

You can keep on talking all the nonsense you want, but a freaking blind man can get lucky and throw up a pass and score a TD in the last 10 games of a season......I guess you can say every blind man has his day, also known as Carr day.

I do find it funny you keep on bringing up phrases like "your next heroic feat" or "ballet", when you were the one that tried to call me out as a bum, when your probably the one who can't make it across the livingroom without hitting the oxygen tank ........but whatever. Carr is nothing special and isn't worth the money he's getting paid and thats the bottom line.

Or a Vince Young fan than some.... It's a bad deal. It's a panic move by a staff in a corner. Hope it works out there Vinny. I stand by everything I've posted. We'll see how long this euphiria last there Vinny. I'm not happy about another five year plan, that's for sure. There's only so many restarts in the bag before we reach Tampa Bay Status. I would of been better if they held their water. Atlanta just got rich with a way out from under Vick. We got hosed from my prespective. Maybe that makes me less of a fan ?

Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

The Texans aren't going to give up their 1st and 3rd picks for this guy. If they wanted to do that, they'd simply sign him to a free agent contract. I trust Smith and Co. not to give up too much for Schaub (i.e., our 1st round pick). Hopefully, that trust will not prove to have been misplaced.

I think its as good a deal as their gonna get with all the crud Casserly left us in.:brickwall There's not enough money, and we don't have to 'teach' anybody how to be a QB. We'll be off an running:mario3: next season w/ a new RB Green/Dayne/Taylor, new QB Schaub, new drafted Reciever and probably a CB too.

All that being said, I'm feeling much better, I was totally:gun: despondant about the Texans team. Now I'm excited about their prospective season.:rolleyes:

If Schaub brings consistency to the offense, wins will take care of themselves. I'm happy that we are going in a new direction, but I'm upset at the loss of a 2nd Rd. pick. We could have really used WR Sidney Rice or C Ryan Kalil!!!!! It's somewhat of a bittersweet moment, since all along everyone was under the assumption that we were looking to acquire picks, not give them away........can Carr at least give us another 3rd rounder?

Who knew that so many people would be excited by having 2 back up QB's and a QB lots on this board refer to as a back up. WhooooHeeee we have 3 back ups and 2 back up back ups.

:crying: You Carr fans always have to find some way to spin things that involve your mentor. It's just a matter of time before you have to change the color of your Carr shrine.

Another bad move by the FO. The nightmare continues. When will they stop being taken advantage by the other NFL teams. This deal stinks "another backup to be starter". In that case start Sage and pick a rookie quarterback in the draft. Schaub started two games in 3 years and lost both.

If Schaub brings consistency to the offense, wins will take care of themselves. I'm happy that we are going in a new direction, but I'm upset at the loss of a 2nd Rd. pick. We could have really used WR Sidney Rice or C Ryan Kalil!!!!! It's somewhat of a bittersweet moment, since all along everyone was under the assumption that we were looking to acquire picks, not give them away........can Carr at least give us another 3rd rounder?

It's possible that we can trade down in an attempt to get into the later first, take someone like Kalil and possibly land a second rounder as well and take Rice.

As it stands now, Okoye, Nelson, Branch, Brown are all nice sounding options. Heck...maybe we trade for a later first and then a second next season and consider Schaub our second rounder. I'd be fine with that.

Frog,

Its all good Gp - I wont be "dissapointed" if Plummer doesnt come here, just a hunch and aconclusion I have had for some time.

Still havent heard this signing is confirmed. And it still doesnt prohibit them from getting Plummer whom IMO would be a good Veteran starter to 'steer the boat' for a few years while Matt gets some time in the GCO without the pressure of having to start immediately with no experience in the system. I just cant in all honesty think Kubiak will go with another Rookie project at QB.

Bottom line - I want whats best for the team. Ive been a Carr fan all along as peeps here know, but I must admit its time for him to go - the PR probs of him coming back would cause alot more probs in the huddle and Kubes and Smitty want a savvy team on the field with players they dont have to micromanage. I cant disagree and IMO had Carr been able to work with Kubes fromthe beginning we would be seeing a diff product on the field - but enough of that. For me - I just want to see an offense that actually functions on the field together for a change - not 11 individuals going out to get 'theirs' in a game and half assing it the rest of the time whenthey arent in 'The play'.

"Ya, because we all know that every 2nd round pick we have made has been an all-pro. Good point yas got there."

WOW! Yeah there is this guy who we picked in the 2nd round last year named Demeco Ryans - Defensive Rookie of the year in 2006

Don't know much about the team do you?

A helluva lot more than you.

Back